Masters Running

Typo Thursdat 11/29/18 (Read 40 times)

SteveP

Coastwalker gets out for 5.9 while watching his step.

RunnerKSA gets a late start but still gets in 2.3. She stops off for another 2.2.

Tetsujin209 corrects my grievous spelling error. (Apologies to those affected) He shares an over the top mountain race where his water bottle froze up. He graciously helps a friend recover physically after some mini strokes.

Tramps experiments in motivating his body with pain management. I'm saving the article. I expect it's an interesting read.

TwoCat is working his tail off in rehab. It sounds like your PT is going the extra miles to work with you.I don't reca.l hearing of one who is willing to meet of site.

Rochrunner hits the gym and treads out two.

Holly has a hound who needs attention all night. UGH. SHe hits the treadmill with before and during foot pain. After 4.2, the foot is fine.

Dave59 has a lot of work stess on his plate. I can't imagine what everyone involved will experience when y'all go live.

TomWhite slips into his pool shoes and churns for 40 minutes.

Fatozzig has a lot of work stress too. Thankfullly shorty is there for support and the furballs have heartwarming/silly interactions.

Joe618 checks in on us.

Runr_nut runs 2.2 to the mechanic and lays down the law. He de-stresses with an additional 2.3.

Evanflein found a fresh pair of legs and got out for 5.4 outright cold miles.

Spacityrunner beats her headlamp into submission on her fellowship over the mountain outing.

Falconfixer has a rest day in hopes it will avoid the bug/crud.

I've been issued a company phone that I also use a personal device. A company I pad for some remote work. After learning audits way back when, I can put paper trails together in a timely manner and recoup revenue that had previously been lost. Although my title as "receiver" suggests that all I do is unload trucks and I don't need a laptop that can access the company mainframe while I'm at home or on vacation to do that. We do have other employees who use the company phone as their personal device. They will not answer work calls when they are off the clock. I tell them, if that's the case, leave then phone at work when they go home.

MikeE gets over 2000 miles for the year!!!! With a treadmill assist. Whoot Whoot!!

Mariposai puts in a lot of effort to not get anywhere on the stationary bike. She meets the easy pacer for a date with gym.

I hit the treadmill hard for 4 before work. It affected my performance for the rest of the day. Normally, that would be OK. However, with out an assigned manager, a number of co-workers are again ambivalent about their schedule. I was accosted by grandkids when I got home. Thye were enthralled when I told them about the elf running around in our bushes. I top an inverted picture of rabbit tracks and asked DW if she had picked up a reindeer for us. I showed the little ones the picture and said it was a reindeer track . Jude (4) concluded that Santa was coming.

SteveP

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone.

Steve, it would have been great fun to have you as a dad/uncle/neighbor when I was growing up. It'd probably be fun now too!

Congrats on the M2K!

Tet, my French racewalker friend would tell you that if you had wine in your water bottle, it probably wouldn't freeze so fast. (3 years ago, he did the Bordeaux Marathon, with wine stops at every mile. He had a good time 'training' for that.)

I got home at 8 last night, was in bed by about 9:30 and was awake at 1:30, thinking about tonight's meeting. Sp, of course, I still got up at J o'clock and went for 6.2 RW miles in 37° temps, serenaded by country/western singer, Gusty Winds. This was the first time in about 7 weeks that I racewalked a full workout, and boy, am I out of shape. So it'll probably take me a few weeks to get my RW endurance back up, and then to recover a modicum of speed. It's all a process, isn't it?

Have a greta Thursday.

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Thanks, Steve and good morning to  you and Jay (so far).  I just can't get outside right now.  I'm tired and it's cold.  Decided I needed the rest so got a late start and hammered out (well, hammered might not be the right word) 1.5 miles on the treadmill.   More later, hopefully.  This is a time of year when I struggle with the cold and gloom. 

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

Dave59

I wnet to teh gym this mornign and did 3 on the treadmil.

I jogged more than I wakled so I am putting it in teh log as a runn.

BTY

Good morning, Runners,

I was too pooped to blog last night after finishing my endurance workout in the pool.  A new personal record for distance - 3,550 yards of alternating backstroke and crawl (no butterfly or breast stroke) so I just squeaked over the 2-mile mark by 30 yards, and finished it in 1:10:45, 15 seconds faster than my goal time of 1:11:00.    Normally there isn't a lot of squeaking going on in the pool, but that made two squeaks in one workout.

Workout was

50 yard crawl/50 yard backstroke for 450 yards as a warmup, then

100 yd crawl

200 yd back

300 yd crawl

400 yd back

500 yd crawl

500 yd back

400 yd crawl

300 yd back

200 yd crawl

100 yd back

then 100 yard cooldown (50 yard crawl, 50 yard back).

The workout was very similar to a previous pyramid workout, with the difference being I added another 500 yards at the peak of the pyramid.  All I can say is that going 400 - 500 - 500 - 400 with 15 seconds rest between repeats (1800 yards = just over a mile) is challenging and I had a couple of occasions where I had to catch my breath for a few seconds at the end of the pool.    And in spite of eating a banana an hour or so before hitting the pool, I got some cramping in the bottom of my foot and had to stretch out the gastrocs and plantar fascia on two occasions.

Yesterday was also an upper back / rear delt / biceps morning at the gym, so I was feeling it in every stroke.  That was about 2400 strokes.

Today is a rest day, unless I feel particularly motivated to go to the pool tonight, since I won't otherwise get any pool time until Saturday morning.  May do some time trials in the morning to see if I'm ready to dip my foot in the competition pool, or if I should wait until summer.

Good runs, all.

BTY

...Impressive BTY.....

==========

..off to the HS Football PlayOffs with my buddy in about an hour..

a Raw Day, 40s, wet, gusty

but

since it only gets WORSE the next two days,

I'm only going today

he's been sick,

so if I don't catch it

I'll be pleased

(but

since I literally haven't seen him in 50-years it'll still be worth it)

,,,,,,,ps,,,,,,,if I wind up sick again, I may amend that last part.....

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Thnak you.

all of a sudden an all day conference meeting followed

by a one-on-one tonight doesn't seem that bad after all,

especially compared to jay's PR of six yesterday.

ps - is the Bordeaux the one with oysters too

or am I just dreaming?

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

I do like SteveP's response to those that want a company phone but refuse to use it for business while off the clock. My DW keeps two phones. A private one and a company one. That lets her totally separate work and home. I have one phone a private one. My employer will buy me one but then it is the employers to haul back and who knows if at some point I will think that is a good idea.

Regarding my PT offering to meet me off site for a session, let me just say it pays to be friends with your PT and her DH!

I did some time walking on the TM this morning. This afternoon I am going to try and go to my first event since surgery. It is a workshop in NYC. That means a train ride and sitting and listening to a presentation.

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

Joe618

31F feels balmy... 3.1 miles

Some of my local running pals and I are connected through our Garmins and I've taken to trying to title each day's run in three words.   I may post those here as well, as I do above.

Taco Thursday at our company cafeteria was a high point today.

Rock on,

Joe

________

I have nothing particularly clever or profound to add as a tag to each message...I just like to run.   

Nice distance, BTY.

We don't provide company phones but we do give a subsidy to certain levels of employees.  I am pretty much available for "issues" 24/7, so I appreciate the $$ every month.    The problem with giving people phones is that if they are non-exempt employees you need to make sure they are recording any time spent working while not clocked in and/or away from the office or you will get hit with a wage/hour violation suit.

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

Tramps

Glad you're getting such good care, Twocat.

Mari--she banged her foot (long story) and there was concern it might be a stress fracture. MRI was inconclusive but she wore a boot thing for several weeks. This week's appointment was the final okay to gradually resume normal activities.

MikeE--that's a solid streak; no wonder you've been running so well. I know what you mean about peer pressure, too.

Dave--gld to seee you tak atvantage of this special day.

TW---hand weights and pool running, eh? You trying to kill me?

We waited until it had warmed up to 40F after lunch to get an easy 24 mile ride in. A little windy but otherwise a gorgeous day.

Be safe. Be kind.

Henrun

Update on new injury: 2 days before turkey day I fell on a sidewalk during a rainy day and landed on my outstretched  hands (with gloves on).  There was swelling and pain andI I iced my hand hoping it was just bruising. 8 days later my pinkie on my left hand was no better. With Marj’s urging Icalled my primary who made an emergency appointment with a hand surgeon. X-rays confirmed a broken finger.. TodayI had surgery and added more hardware to my body. I’ll be in a sling until my follow-up appointment next Wednesday. NO aerobic exercise till then although I can walk. I’m really becoming a bionic man😪

mrrun

3 miles of pacing waiting for henrun to come out of surgery (and one terrible piece of pizza)

TammyinGP

you know Henry, there may have been easier ways to get out of helping with all the Hanukkah preparations coming up. 
                              Heal up soon my friend!

Tammy

Marathon Maniac #957

SteveP - you are an awesome grandpa!

BTY - if you lived closer, I would ask you to coach me on swimming - you are awesome!

Henrun - ouch!

I was up at 4am today (probably sleeping in for Jay) and drove my dad to the Cleveland Clinic for his surgical follow-up.  On the 16th, they removed is bladder and prostate, both of which had cancer.  The surgeon today seemed confident that he had done good work, and after one more follow up at the CC in a month, said there would be no more treatment, although my dad will be doing check-ups with a local oncologist afterward.  The doc said he could be playing golf by spring.   So, tentative good news.  But I will tell you, I have never seen my dad looking so old.  It was quite a shock to see him shuffling gingerly to the car, looking about 100 years old.  Of course, the fact that he did not wear his dentures today (because they are giving him trouble) added to it.  But still, it was quite a shock.  I am glad he is staying with my little brother for an indefinite period to recover.

Count your blessings, folks...

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."