Masters Running

RR -- New Prague Half Marathon (Read 184 times)

HermosaBoy

So, this internet is an interesting thing. A few minutes after I got home from my race, I got a call from JohnMass to discuss the results. Big Brother is watching! So, half marathon? A much better distance for me than a mile race. Big grin Came into this one with no real expectations. It is usually part of the USATF circuit in Minnesota and is really fast. This year they dropped it from the circuit and some of the speedsters skipped it (not all). So, go to line up and nobody wants to get near the starting line??? Everyone is 10 feet back talking and the race is late starting and then we hear the gun. Uh, guess it's time to go. We got a good laugh off of that for the first mile or so. So, during the first straightaway, the shake out begins. We have an obvious front runner. Somebody chasing him that seems like they might be over their head. Another runner and then me and my masters competitor from the mile race on Thursday. Oh joy -- will he outkick me again. First mile starts out flat and then has a bit of a climb in it -- split comes in 5:54 and I am in 4th or 5th place -- we are running side by side. Same thing continues going forward. We are out in the country. Rolling hills and WIND. The nice thing is that the normal fragrence of cattle is a little less this year than the last time I ran the race. Wink Mile 2 -- 5:56 -- still in 4th/5th Mile 3 -- 5:58 -- the one over their head has been passed and falls to 3rd. -- still in 4th/5th Mile 4 -- 5:57 -- moved into 3rd/4th and close a bit on 2nd. Nope, not going with him. He is pulling away. Time to settle in. At this time, someone comes up from behind and starts running with me and the other master. Hmmm -- someone using this as a tempo run??? Mile 5 -- just me and my buddy from Thursday -- 6:07 -- this was a hill and I got a stitch. Just changed up my breathing, dropped back to 4th until the stitch went away. Was kind of scared for a bit!!! Mile 6 -- battling -- 6:08 -- still hilly/windy. I ask my competitor if we will ever turn out of the wind -- he asks about the hills. Slight chuckle... Mile 7 -- still battling -- 5:59 -- at this point, I decide time is not important. Must beat him!!! Mile 8 -- He decides to surge -- I let him go for a split second and then decide to go with him. We cross the mile mark side by side in 5:50. Mile 9 -- My turn!!! This one rolls a bit and I surge. At the mile (6:04), I think I have him by 5 or 10 feet. Don't think, just run. Don't look back -- you can hear him! If he sounds like he is getting closer -- pick it up. If not, just stay smooth! Mile 10 -- 6:02 -- feeling pretty good, but maybe on the edge. Mile 11 -- turn back into town is coming -- that means a slight downhill! Smile 6:07 At the turn, I steal a glance and seem to have about a 5 or 10 second lead. Keep it up! Mile 12 -- 6:05 -- HR has been climing, but nothing out of the realm of possibility given the effort. Steal a glance back, I don't think he is going to catch me. Don't think, just run! Mile 13 -- 6:00 -- where the HECK is that finish line?? Last 0.1 in 0:33 (5:32 pace? I didn't think I kicked...) Time of 1:18:42 for 3rd OA and 2nd in my AG (1st 1:14Tight lippedx, 2nd (41 yo) in 1:15Tight lippedx). My master's competitor came in at 1:18:53 for an 11 second win. Although, he did win his age group (50 to 54). So, all in all -- a very satisfying race. Technically a PR, because my fastest half before this was 1:19Tight lippedx. Although, I did have a half marathon split of 1:18:35 during a 25k. It was a much easier course and wasn't only a few weeks after Boston. Oh yeah, stop giving excuses and say the most important thing -- I am REALLY happy with this result. Looks like my plans for the next 18 months might be in reach. Thanks for reading!!!

And you can quote me as saying I was mis-quoted. Groucho Marx

Rob

You sure had a nice half, hermosa. 3rd OA and 2nd in AG is pretty impressive. Congratulations. TomS
      Mariposai

Oh yeah, stop giving excuses and say the most important thing -- I am REALLY happy with this result. Looks like my plans for the next 18 months might be in reach.
        A PR is a PR...I have been told once...so now rest up after this great race and then...go get that DREAM RACE!!! You can do it...of course you can. Cool

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

Great report, and even better racing! There sure are some speedy ones out there (and you're one of them) Good luck at the next race. Jeebus. Your splits are humbling!
          pfriese

Wow, what a RR! AG/OA awards and a PB, you had a great day. Congrats, Paul
              Congratulations Hermosaboy! Great racing and the mile by mile playback is great for seeing into your race focus----you surge even after looking at the time. Awesome. While I won't type a dream time in this reply Wink I am thinking some new speedy thresholds are right there. Thanks for the report and great racing. I am inspired. Karin/CNYrunner
              SteveP

As well as being a fast runner, you're also very strong. Your RRs are amazing.

SteveP

Nice run Hermosa, Considering that it came so soon after Boston I think you have a faster one in you too. You are a machine. Well done.
                  Age 60 plus best times: 5k 19:00, 10k 38:35, 10m 1:05:30, HM 1:24:09, 30k 2:04:33
                  busiman

Running out of mistakes!

Congrats again Hermosaboy! That is a amazing time. You're in great shape to have such a strong and consistent pace throughout the race. I also liked the mile by mile description in your report.
                    -2009 running goals - sub-3 after Boston (probably VCM), 3 PRs, 2009 miles for the year, and no untreated injuries
                    also on Twitter
                      Yea, I was checking on the results as soon as they were posted. I was actually looking up some home town friends that were running there and right up at the top of the standings was our dear friend, Hermosaboy. No surprise at all, as you continue to amaze all with your ever-increasing speed at all distances. Congrats on another most excellent race!! Thanks for posting your RR. Your writing gives us "mere mortals" an inside look at what it feels like to be running at the front of the pack. Stay healthy, and even better races will be heading your way.... John
                      btb1490

The man is a machine! Congratulations on yet another fine performance!
                          Another fine view from the front. Thanks for bringing us along. I can't imagine making your move with 4-5 miles still to go--that takes a lot of confidence. Maybe that's why I' a middle-of-the -packer. Wink