Masters Running

Wed Nov 26 Runs and Whatnot (Read 624 times)

I'm a stretcher post run, not a walker. Is anyone taking statistics?

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com

flatland mountaineer

Easy 2 with a couple intervals at race pace just to get the blood flowing, doing the Pederson Volvo 4 miler in Ft Collins tommorow. I am so not in racing shape. Wink

The whole world said I shoulda used red but it looked good to Charlene in John Deere Green!!

Support Ethanol, drink the best, burn the rest.

Run for fun? What the hell kind of recreation is that?  quote from Back to the Fut III

I have to admit I rarely walk for a warm up or cooldown. Out the door running and stop back at the door. I probably should take it as good advice that a lot of you already have it as part of your daily run and give it a try. I am posting for last nights run because between my PT ,my run, dinner and good football games I just could not find the time. Looks like I picked a good night to not get involved in the dailies anyway. Wink My beer and pizza calories in were definantly more than my measly 3 mile calories out. So my theory is watching football is the cause of my obiesity. Clowning around So 3 slushy wet miles yesteday in 27:08 slip sliding away minutes. Larry

Chumbawamba: I get knocked down But I get up again You're never going to keep me down

lamerunner

Happy Thanksgiving Eve I think this is Day 16 of my non -running. Ugh... I am amusing my friends with elliptical PRs. Slept in sort of today on the theory I will have time to get to the Y. Hoping for a swim/elliptical combo. I did an hour on the elliptical laste yesterday, 8.7 miles or so. Then a bit of stretching and abs. There is a two hour Thanksgiving Spin class tomorrw morning if I can get there in time. Might be fun. I hope no one is leaving the Board. I read the discussion last night. I think certain dark equines have a bit too much time on their hooves. The internet is an easy place for a bit of sport. Dr. appt next Tuesday. I guess I don't have to worry about my turkey trot results.
            I'm a stretcher post run, not a walker. Is anyone taking statistics?
            I've never been a stretcher, and not a walker yet. I was a wheelchair after Boston once though. . . Buh dum bah.
            dg.

I've never been a stretcher, and not a walker yet. I was a wheelchair after Boston once though. . . Buh dum bah.
              hey hi! 2 days in a row. yippee. Cool
              DickyG

A Kentucky-based Ku Klux Klan chapter has been ordered to pay $2.5 million in damages in a judgement that civil rights attorneys hope will bankrupt the local group. The Southern Poverty Law Center sued the nation's second-largest Klan outfit on behalf of a Latino teen severely beaten in 2006 by two Klan members. The Klansmen were convicted and served two years in prison. A jury ordered the Imperial Klans of America, its leader and two former followers to pay 19-year-old Jordan Gruver $1.5 million for lost wages and medical expenses and $1 million in punitive damages. Klan spokesman Jethro "Jaybird" Lawson remarked..."well, this don't zakly break us, but it looks like we'll be shoppin' the K-Mart white sales for a while." Lou: That was an exceptionally cool graph from yesterday...I'm pretty sure I can play that on the violin. (BTW, what does "OC" mean?) NoNo: You did 7 miles in an hour? With a cold? Wow... Stevie:
                I had to take prednisone (and other corticosteroids) for awhile. Ballooned up like staypuft marshmellow michelin man. That was hard weight to lose.
                Yep...remember a few years ago when Jerry Lewis looked like somebody stuck a balloon in his mouth & blew it up? That was prednisone...I forget what his problem was, but he had to take massive amounts...now he looks much better. I was on it about 5-6 years ago for a kidney infection. TomS: 10 miles on a treadmill...I gasp at your fortitude. Mary:
                I hope most people (Jlynne) and others don't leave after yesterday's discussion. We've already lost too many good people.
                Amen to that! Deb:
                well I've solved that whole HR thing. I can't find my chest strap. so simple! I can beat that 13 any day.
                You better find it cuz I've already used up the HR's you gave me. Bill (and Peter): Interesting comment about walking AFTER your runs...unfortunately, I often find myself walking DURING the runs. But I certainly agree with post-run walking. Gordon:
                9:04 8:31 8:05 8:03 7:53 7:47 7:43 7:28
                Wow... On the junk food thing..yeah, I indulge. But at least I found the fat-free ice cream (Turkey Hill), fat-free chips, low-fat tostidos, and fat-free chocolate pudding....and I'm still fat. 4 miles at the track in 36:07 (9:02)...second mile was a slow 9:28...the other 3 were OK. Ave. HR 138 Max 155. Garmin question: Even though I ran at the track, the graph shows a fair amount of elevation gains & losses...how can that be? PuzzledG
                  Aija-I was just asking Tallrunner the other day if he saw you anymore,I had no idea you had changed your name...boy do I feel stupid Embarrassed
                  Looking for a place to Happen, making stops along the way - The Hip

Marathon Maniac #3309

Actually Mary, Western was the one team we were really worried about...they are very good and recently beat Illinois. I also try and walk a 1/2 mile or so after I run...got that from Bob when he was posting here. Holly, if you have time to goof off this afternoon...I am buried with work and could use some help Smile lamerunner, I feel your pain..hang in there Smile Tim

Running has given me the courage to start, the determination to keep trying, and the childlike spirit to have fun along the way - Run often and run long, but never outrun your Joy of running!

TammyinGP

Lou, since you seem to have a flair for statistics and cool graphs, I nominate you as our StatMan. I spend minimal time stretching before a run, but my first mile or so is generally pretty slow. But prior to a run, I will stretch out my calves and AT a bit. But after a run, I will walk and stretch. I try to make the cooldown part of walking/stretching take at least 10 min but sometimes I'm pressed for time and have to skip it - like if I'm running on my lunchhour and I need to hurry up, shower and get back to work. DickyG - I always enjoy reading your news tidbits you post each day. OC stands for Obsessive Compulsive. TimBo - glad you had a good workout! I think you'll find that this TEMPORARY sabbatical from running, will allow you to strengthen areas that you may not have known were weaker. You'll be a better run for it. Thanksgiving is my favorite holiday. For us, it's about being with family, sharing good food, helping out those in your community, etc. It's not all hyped and commercialized. And you don't go into credit card debt over it. Plus, there's football Big grin We are closing the office 2 hrs early today, so I'm going to the gym. I think I'll wait to test out a run with my newly modified shoes tomorrow, and just stick with the elliptical and maybe some weights today. oh, ETA: Go OSU Beavers! If they beat the Oregon Ducks this weekend, they will have secured a spot in the Rose Bowl. I don't think the Beavers have gone to the Rose Bowl in something like crazy - like 40 yrs or so.

Tammy

Renee the dog

Funny -- I always walk after a race and never feel bad. What's funny about that? Well you think I'd do it as part of my routine? NOPE. Undecided Gonna start. Thanks Peter for the prodding! Stretching? Funny thing there too...when I'm doing it religiously along with my yoga, I have far fewer problems. What do you think has been missing currently as I have been getting this knee ache? [slinking off to attic to get my dunce cap]

GOALS 2012: UNDECIDED

GOALS 2011: LIVE!!!

Mariposai

I can't get over how kul looking Lou's tatto is. Holly have fun with "your day off at your desk" Wink Mary, cute dogs. Gordon, nice pace there buddy. Is twocats running again? How is the leg feeling my friend? 17 yesterday plus some serious house cleaning. I found the loveliest route around Florence. I can't wait to come back here in the summer to do the same route again. 4 recovery miles today with my buddy buster. He is such a fun running partner. I love dogs. Much the same around the house. Family members will be arriving today. Go Seattle racers I walk after my runs. Do yoga and pilates at other times. It works for me.

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

TammyinGP

{{{Mariposai}}} Been thinking of you TONS my friend. Glad you are getting in some probably much needs mentally relaxing miles. Wish I could be there running with you. You are only 4 hrs away from me!!

Tammy

Marathon Maniac #3309

Mariposai, Twocat is running again...............loser Big grin Tammy, I think you are right about working on areas I haven't for a while. I used to lift weights and cross train all the time, but got away from it when I started just exclusively running. Tim

Running has given me the courage to start, the determination to keep trying, and the childlike spirit to have fun along the way - Run often and run long, but never outrun your Joy of running!

TammyinGP

Same here Tim - once I started running, that's pretty much the only thing I do. So, I too am going to focus on strengthening up areas that don't get much attention while running - like upper body and core. Especially core! And I'll get back into going leg weights too. oh, and walking lunges! Love walking lunges!

Tammy