Masters Running

40's + On the Run w/e 7/11 (Read 425 times)

jfa

<dl>

You don't stop laughing because you grow old. You grow old because you stop laughing.

Michael Pritchard

<dl>

Hi All! Lotsa talk about age last week so I thought this fits.

Fantastic Races for EV and Jim and Lynda and Jim's Dad and Woods Lady ! Great pics !!

Awards and fame at such a young age for you all,oh my!

Just got back from visiting friends in Mass. Nothing like being in New England for the 4th of July.Lotsa running on some non-pimply hills up there including an 11 miler today, my 37 yo legs are a bit tired!

Hi to all non-racers as well!

MTA- don't know how those <dl> doodads got in here,but I can't get rid of them...

<dl> <dt> </dt> </dl> <dl> <dt> </dt> </dl>

<dl><dl><dt><dt> back atcha, Joe.   And legs a tired?  We're going back East in October, to New Hampshire, Vermont, and Maine.  I can't wait.

5 miles this a.m., 1 easy, 3 race pace, 1 easy.  Felt really good.  One of those days where you feel like you could run all day.  Doesn't happen often.

The rest of the day has been spent as a slug.  A total and complete slug.  I thought about putting my new plants in the ground, but slug won out.

Have a great week -

Leslie
      Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
      -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Great pics on last weeks thread, Jim.  I looked at all 58 of 'em.  The guy got quite a few shots with people completely off the ground.  #'s 33 and 34 are true "racing for the finish line" pics.

PS - Nice avatar!

Leslie
        -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

flatland mountaineer

Great pics on last weeks thread, Jim.  I looked at all 58 of 'em.  The guy got quite a few shots with people completely off the ground.  #'s 33 and 34 are true "racing for the finish line" pics.

FYI #33 is 45 year old Jonathan racing a high schooler for 3rd overall, #34 is Kyle one of JB's XC runners( his mom and dad are my friends and are 268,267).

#37 is me 93 getting passed by Tim (pushing a jog stroller) Doc's son, who inherited some of his dad's 4min mile genes. I told him after I was going to put some tractor weights in his stroller but he would still beat me.

#49 is my friend and classmate BK , 2 yrs ago about this time he nearly died with the West Nile Virus.

Lots of stories behing the pics. Thanks for looking at them.

Thanks Joe for kicking us off , nice age quote.

The whole world said I shoulda used red but it looked good to Charlene in John Deere Green!!

Support Ethanol, drink the best, burn the rest.

Run for fun? What the hell kind of recreation is that?  quote from Back to the Fut III

Thanks for getting us going Joe.......sounds like a nice visit in Mass for the 4th

Leslie is in taper mode this week for her SOB comeback. You are going to do great. You've worked super hard.

A big congrats to Jim and Ev on their races. You both are pretty darn fast. I loved all the race pics Jim.......didn't notice the horns until you pointed it out Ev. Very nice photo of your friends and you.

Got up super early this morning and went to the gym. Trying to figure out my morning routine and what is going to work and not work for me. Wasn't bad.......arms, abs, core, 2-miles on the treadmill. I know I have abs somewhere, I just can't seem to find them. They are covered under a nice little fat blanket. Maybe someday they'll appear.

Gotta get movin........

Jewels

But in the end, I'm more afraid of not trying, than failing. JJJessee

I know I have abs somewhere, I just can't seem to find them. They are covered under a nice little fat blanket. Maybe someday they'll appear.

Part of my whole "I'm determined to change my physique" mantra.  That is like the absolute hardest fat layer to get rid of and I am stumped.  Stumped, stumped, stumped.  Part of it's posture (I'm a sloucher), but only a very small part.  Even when I stand up straight I have a frigging pouch. 

Jim - Thanks for the further explanation on the pics.  I went back and looked at 'em again.  West Nile virus.  Holy cow!

MTA: Whoa!  Some kind of freaky time warp!  Got kicked out and then no post, although it said I had  posted. 

Okay then . . .

Rest day for me.  Two days of rest out of four.  Starting to feel a bit sluggish.  Am already getting nervous stomach knots about this coming Saturday, but that's par for the course.  This is the elevation profile, 4,200 feet of climbing:

Coach sent me the info for the pace I need to keep up in order to complete the run 8.5 hours: 15.27 for the first 21.9 miles, 18:36 the massive climb at approx. Mile 24, and then pick it up to no slower than 15:18 to the end.  Normally, I would say no problem, but elevation is going to be a factor.  I will have to take advantage of the downhills without completing destroying my quads, so I've been practicing pounding down the hills the last few weeks.  Still - Ack!

Leslie
              -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

jfa

Wow Leslie- that is one challenging course! You have put in the training and I'm sure you'll do great!

Jewels- good job getting out there in the early morning. Keep your consistancy and you will see results.

Great pics Jim,that's a fine looking community that you have there.

4 miles tonight @ I-don't- care- what-pace following my leg pounding weekend. 20 sets X 10 pushups ea along the way.Topped off with an ocean swim.

Queen of 3rd Place

Jim - loved the pics - you're dad is incredible! He looks great, by the way. Really like the one of the four pals - one with horns.

Jewels - kinda owie working out in the am, isn't it? Funny how that happens to us.Well, maybe not so funny.

Woodswoman - need a RR!

Leslie - that elevation profile scares the carp outta me!   But you've been awfully consistent with your hill work and repeats, that will certainly give you an advantage over many folks. We don't all live someplace nice and hilly.

Joe - run + pushups + swim sounds like a nice new event.

Cousin Kris's boyfriend had a massive family BBQ out at his almond orchard, he had illegal fireworks from Nevada. Well, a few minutes into the show, a cop car pulls up and we all watched in horror as he was cuffed! Turns out it was a big ol' joke and boy, we all bought it. Good fun.

Taking super-easy runs in the heat. I really am terrible at running in the am, I'm lazy about getting up (never used to be that way...), stiff as a board and by the time I get out even if it's 70, man, that sun is brutal. Looking forward to some cooler runs closer to the coast the next few weekends - have Napa-to-Sonoma Half Marathon in two weeks, followed by the first half of the San Francisco Marathon the following week. The first half of SF has you running from the city, over the Golden Gate, then BACK over the Golden Gate, from about mile 5.5 to 9.5. I couldn't pass that one up!

Arla

Ex runner

Joe - That sounded like a right mighty nice work out you had.

Arla - That's too funny about your cousin.  I can just imagine the horror on everyone's faces.  Was he in on the joke, or who set him up?  That's one for the family album!

The San Fran 1/2 - I'd have to look at the web site, but if that race includes an 8-miler, that was my virgin race, and my friend's virgin HM.  She loved running over the bridge.  Good luck with it and the Napa Half.  One of these times when you're planning on coming that far for a race, let me know.  I wouldn't have a problem running a road HM (I'm not that big of a snob ), and it'd be fun to meet up.  After all Napa and San Fran are just a hop, skip, and jump for us.  It's normal for us to travel 4-6 hours to get anywhere of any consequence.

Okay - Gotta get some more transcription done, then off to bed.

Leslie
                    -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

Mornin', Gang o' Mine -

Ev - I meant to ask you - how was the park celebration?  Lots of great music and eats?

4 miles in 38:??.  1 mile easy, 2 miles race pace, 1 mile easy.  I was about halfway through my last mile when two City of Eureka cop cars went past me and turned the direction I was heading.  Well, don'tcha know, I had to speed up to see what was going on.  Huffed it up a hill just so I could be a looky loo on the move and not look too suspicious.  They were at a house where there's been trouble in the past.  Just talking to the lady, nothing terribly exciting.  Darn it all.  It would've been a much better story to tell if they'd been dragging someone out in handcuffs.

And totally off the subject - For the love of all that's annoying, bury Michael Jackson and get over it!!

Have a grrrrreat day!

Leslie
                      -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

I just had to share:

ABOUT THE WRITER
                        Dave Barry is a Pulitzer Prize-winning humor columnist for the Miami Herald.

Colonoscopy Journal:

I called my friend Andy Sable, a gastroenterologist, to make an appointment for a colonoscopy.  A few days later, in his office, Andy showed me a color diagram of the colon, a lengthy organ that appears to go all over the place, at one point passing briefly through Minneapolis.  Then Andy explained the colonoscopy procedure to me in a thorough, reassuring and patient manner.  I nodded thoughtfully, but I didn't really hear anything he said, because my brain was shrieking, 'HE'S GOING TO STICK A TUBE 17,000 FEET UP YOUR BEHIND!'

I left Andy's office with some written instructions, and a prescription for a product called 'MoviPrep,' which comes in a box large enough to hold a microwave oven. I will discuss MoviPrep in detail later; for now suffice it to say that we must never allow it to fall into the hands of America 's enemies.

I spent the next several days productively sitting around being nervous.  Then, on the day before my colonoscopy, I began my preparation. In accordance with my instructions, I didn't eat any solid food that day; all I had was chicken broth, which is basically water, only with less flavor.  Then, in the evening, I took the MoviPrep. You mix two packets of powder together in a one-liter plastic jug, then you fill it with lukewarm water. (For those unfamiliar with the metric system, a liter is about 32 gallons). Then you have to drink the whole jug. This takes about an hour, because MoviPrep tastes - and here I am being kind - like a mixture of goat spit and urinal cleanser, with just a hint of lemon.

The instructions for MoviPrep, clearly written by somebody with a great sense of humor, state that after you drink it, "a loose, watery bowel movement may result.'" This is kind of like saying that after you jump off your roof, you may experience contact with the ground.  MoviPrep is a nuclear laxative. I don't want to be too graphic here, but have you ever seen a space-shuttle launch? This is pretty much the MoviPrep experience, with you as the shuttle. There are times when you wish the commode had a seat belt. You spend several hours pretty much confined to the bathroom, spurting violently. You eliminate everything. And then, when you figure you must be totally empty, you have to drink another liter of MoviPrep, at which point, as far as I can tell, your bowels travel into the future and start eliminating food that you have not even eaten yet.

After an action-packed evening, I finally got to sleep.

The next morning my wife drove me to the clinic. I was very nervous. Not only was I worried about the procedure, but I had been experiencing occasional return bouts of MoviPrep spurtage. I was thinking, 'What if I spurt on Andy?' How do you apologize to a friend for something like that? Flowers would not be enough.

At the clinic I had to sign many forms acknowledging that I understood and totally agreed with whatever the heck the forms said. Then they led me to a room full of other colonoscopy people, where I went inside a little curtained space and took off my clothes and put on one of those hospital garments designed by sadist perverts, the kind that, when you put it on, makes you feel even more naked than when you are actually naked.

Then a nurse named Eddie put a little needle in a vein in my left hand. Ordinarily I would have fainted, but Eddie was very good, and I was already lying down. Eddie also told me that some people put vodka in their MoviPrep.
                        At first I was ticked off that I hadn't thought of this, but then I pondered what would happen if you got yourself too tipsy to make it to the bathroom, so you were staggering around in full Fire Hose Mode. You would have no choice but to burn your house.

When everything was ready, Eddie wheeled me into the procedure room, where Andy was waiting with a nurse and an anesthesiologist. I did not see the 17,000-foot tube, but I knew Andy had it hidden around there somewhere. I was seriously nervous at this point.  Andy had me roll over on my left side, and the anesthesiologist began hooking something up to the needle in my hand.  There was music playing in the room, and I realized that the song was 'Dancing Queen' by ABBA. I remarked to Andy that, of all the songs that could be playing during this particular procedure, 'Dancing Queen' had to be the least appropriate.

'You want me to turn it up?' said Andy, from somewhere behind me.  'Ha ha,' I said.

And then it was time, the moment I had been dreading for more than a decade. If you are squeamish, prepare yourself, because I am going to tell you, in explicit detail, exactly what it was like.

I have no idea. Really. I slept through it. One moment, ABBA was yelling "Dancing Queen, feel the beat of the tambourine," and the next moment, I was back in the other room, waking up in a very mellow mood.  Andy was looking down at me and asking me how I felt. I felt excellent. I felt even more excellent when Andy told me that It was all over, and that my colon had passed with flying colors. I have never been prouder of an internal organ.

On the subject of Colonoscopies...
                        Colonoscopies are no joke, but these comments during the exam were quite humorous..... A physician claimed that the following are actual comments made by his patients (predominately male) while he was performing their colonoscopies:

1. 'Take it easy, Doc. You're boldly going where no man has gone before!'

2. 'Find Amelia Earhart yet?'

3. 'Can you hear me NOW?'

4. 'Are we there yet? Are we there yet? Are we there yet?'

5. 'You know, in Arkansas , we're now legally married.'

6. 'Any sign of the trapped miners, Chief?'

7. 'You put your left hand in, you take your left hand out...'

8. 'Hey! Now I know how a Muppet feels!'

9. 'If your hand doesn't fit, you must quit!'

10. 'Hey Doc, let me know if you find my dignity.'

11. 'You used to be an executive at Enron, didn't you?'

12. 'God, now I know why I am not gay.'

And the best one of all:
                        13. 'Could you write a note for my wife saying that my head is not up there?'

Leslie
                        -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

Queen of 3rd Place

OK, that's the hardest I've laughed since...dunno when. (wipes tear..catches breath). Thanks!

Ex runner

Good early Wed morning everyone,

Trying very hard not to spew my coffee all over my laptop as I read Leslie's colonoscopy story. That is soooo funny!

Heading over to the gym in about an hour, trying to get the body movin' a little first!

Have a great day.....

Jewels

MTA: Legs/abs/2.5 run

But in the end, I'm more afraid of not trying, than failing. JJJessee

Joining Arla and Jewels in laughing hysterically!  Just passed it on to my hubby and mom.

No run yesterday...just a walk with the Katy.  Any running will be on the treadmill for a while...headed to 100 today and I'm just not into that.  Maybe a trip to the nice cool gym tonight.

Sounds like you are all doing pretty well with the workouts.  Keep up the good work!

Progress Trumps Pefection

jfa

That's hilarious Leslie- thanks for that!

Good job Jewels @ 5am!!

Good job Carol @ 100* !!!

Good job Arla on your running and dealing with life's challenges. I'm slowly getting into the bf scene.

Progression run last night for me- 9:35, 9:27, 9:07, 9:03, 8:32, 8:11, 7:41. Last speed run before this Saturday's Belmar 5-miler.