Masters Running

40's + On the Run w/e 7/11 (Read 425 times)

Funiest  darned thing I have ever read!!!!!   LOL with tears running down my face.  Been there, done that!   Thank you.     Woods Lady

Well, I'm glad ya'll got a kick outta that story.  When my dad lived in Wisconsin one year, he had his first colonoscopy.  He wrote me a letter describing the prep, and I swear, I laughed so frigging hard!  I've looked and looked for that letter and haven't been able to find it.  One of his best "editorials" ever.

Joe - That last mile of your progression run - wow!

Jewels - Nice a.m. workout there.

Carol - 100?? Bleck!  I'd go to the gym, too.  Or just sit and sip ice tea and read a good book.

Arla - Hey there!

3 miles this a.m., 1 easy, 1 race pace, 1 easy.  During the last, an old nemesis reared its ugly head: hip flexor.  Absolutely unbelievable.  Nothing for months on end (well, since last October) and now it's back.  I have to be aggressive in tackling this thing, or it'll do me in like it did for my marathon in October.  Rat ba$^%*&.    My buddy, Karen, suggested taking a muscle relaxer.  Eh, it's been slow in the office all week.  I might be able to get away with it so long as I remember to wipe the drool from my chin.

Otherwise - the run went really well.

Leslie
      Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
      -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Top 'O the World!

Funniest  darned thing I have ever read!!!!!   LOL with tears running down my face.     Thank you.     Woods Lady

+1    passed it to my Doc! (had to go donate blood sample to see if meds are working as they should be..)

HUGE CONGRATS TO OUR RACERS~   sounds like you guys rocked it!!

I heard a rumor that there was a 10K somewhere nearby the campground on Sat am....I opted for solos in/near Custer State Park....where the "deer & the buffalo roam..."  1st day: heavy, humid 70* @ 5:39am..steady rain later...2nd day: ground fog, heavy humid but cool!  52*, 3rd day: started coolish, clearing off & warming up! 4th day: warming up fast!! didn't get to run till almost 11am!  ...after breakfast, in the heat, bagged it after 2 miles....but I immediately jumped in the lake!

(trying to post pictures...I don't think its working for me just now....yup! I fergit allotta carp! )

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=27562&id=1093745711&l=5e814145d9

Anywho, this trip was a little more crazy than relaxin at times....too many people wanting to go different directions @ the same time & not enough days to get it all done...especially when it was taking till 11am to get folks outta camp each day! .I did get my runs in, although, lack of quality sleep to "recharge" each day + entirely too much junk food & beer meant that they got progressively suckier (is that a word?) Did nothin but sleep (coupla short naps) & sort out & put away  the camping stuff yesterday, & run 4 miles (reeeal slow) & mow the knee deep yard, &..........poor Doug had to go to work!

Remember that doing anything well is going to take longer than you think!! ~ Masters Group
          Great pics, Cindy!  Thanks for sharing.  Looks like you guys had a great time.  How many were in your party?  (And I mean that in every sense of the word.  )

Leslie
          -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

Top 'O the World!

Remember that doing anything well is going to take longer than you think!! ~ Masters Group

Queen of 3rd Place

Cindy - love the last pic - too cute!

Arla

Ex runner

jfa

Nice pics Cindy! I envy all the traveling you guys do out West, very cool.

Leslie- how's the weather looking for your race?

I know you guys are probably sick of hearing this,but the weather here is completely whacky.It's the middle of July almost and only 68* ! Went to go for a swim after last night's run and said, nah,too chilly. Weird. I'm thinking maybe the cycle is just delayed this year,and we'll get our hot,muggy ,90's weather in Sept and Oct instead? Just in time for marathon season! Oh well, I should be happy that Saturday morning's race temp looks to be in the upper 60's. Yup, very weird.

Mornin'  Gang!

Joe - It's suppose to be 81 down in Ashland, but it should be cooler up on the mountain.  I have a Cool Bandana that I'll take and use if necessary.  It really makes a huge difference when the temps are warm.

And on the weather front - It seems like everybody east of the Rockies is having wacky weather so far.  Ours is fairly typical, except no rain.  We're very, very low on rain for the year.

Rest day today, so I'm just reviewing the mileage chart for the running, trying to determine how much "stuff" to carry in my little waist pack until I reach my drop bag.  And it's not so much mileage, as is it time on the go.

NICE!!!  I just got my package of Spenco 2nd Skin gel squares.  And upon opening it . . . I see they're not the ones advertised on the site.  Darn it.  They must've stopped making the ones I originally used.  These new ones have a "high water content," which means that after wearing them for extended periods, the areas on my feet where the squares have been look like they've been soaking in water for hours.  Which means I'll have to wait and tape up my feet Saturday morning instead of Friday night.  Oh well.  I have it down to a fine art, so it won't take but a couple of minutes.  BUT, I have extras now to carry with  me, so nice, very nice, indeed.

Okay - gotta get to work.  Take it easy ~

Leslie
                  -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

I forgot.  Check this video out: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5YGc4zOqozo  True story.  United ruined this guy's guitar, so far has refused to pay for the damage, so he wrote a song.

Leslie
                    -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Hope you don't mind me butting in and I know I should say Hi every once in a while if I'm going to lurk, but it took the colonoscopy story to drag me out. 

I LOVE Dave Barry.  I just spent the last 5 minutes wiping my eyes at the computer and almost hurting myself trying not to laugh out loud.  Been there, done that! describes it perfectly.

BTW-what happens to the 50's portion--thats's what sucked me in in the first place.

Kevin

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

BTW-what happens to the 50's portion--thats's what sucked me in in the first place.

Kevin

First  - glad you liked the story.  I got to go through such a procedure when I had my gall bladder removed in Feb.  Yeeowza!  Thank God for soft Charmin toilet paper!

Second - Somebody (who shall remain nameless . . . okay, it's Joe) refuses to accept reality.  And I think he's the one who started touting, "50s are the new 30s" or some such BS.  So I don't know what his problem is, but you and Woods Lady (who is now a young 50-something as opposed to young 70-something) can take it up with him.

We hope that his error did not offend you or anyone else who is past the age of  49 39, and that you return again soon.

Leslie
                        -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

We hope that his error did not offend you or anyone else who is past the age of  49 39, and that you return again soon.

I realize the 40+ incorporates the 50s, but it felt so inclusive.  Of course, my DW will say that 50 is the new 15.   I share SteveP's selective maturity.  Apparently, I'm not selective enough   I guess this counts as returning.

Hi everyone.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

Top 'O the World!

Hey Kevin! 

I share SteveP's selective maturity.  Apparently, I'm not selective enough   I guess this counts as returning.

Selective maturity - I like it!  I'll have to remember that one.  And yes, that post counts as returning.  You're officially official.

Leslie
                              -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

jfa

Ok Ok, I'll take the hit on this one. I kinda thought the + sign covered it all ,and I even forgot the "and beyond" part of the title this time. So, my bad.. No offense meant to anyone, and all are Welcome!  BTW, I just signed up for my third marathon today which will be run 2 days after my 50th birthday. Good thing I'm really only going to be the "new" 38 !!