Masters Running

I think it's Sunday, 7.17.16 (Read 35 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone.

The week and weekend have been a blur, so who knows what day it is? If I only had that underwear that told which day each day was. Well, maybe not...

Our guests arrived late yesterday afternoon. For those keeping score, this is the family that was here at the end of last week, on their way up to Maine. Now they are on their way back to NJ. They, by choice, made most of last night's dinner (grilled salmon, roasted potatoes, mixed veggies). They had dropped off a 3-lb. homegrown zucchini on their way through last week, so I looked for a recipe that called for a lot of zucchini, and last night I made some Greek zucchini fritters. They could have used some more herbs/seasoning, but were still pretty tasty.

I'm on my way out for my morning workout, ahead of this morning's racewalking training session. I'm not sure my ankle is back to 100%, so it may be a short workout. Ob la dee, ob la da.

Have a greta Sunday!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

mrrun

We went to Jay's RW clinic - what an awesome teacher & workout.  RW a lot more complex then I realized

now having coffee & awaiting Henry's DS & family & my DD & family & lots of GC

enjoy Sunday!!!!

Sayhey! MM#130

Good morning-afternoon, depending on where you are-- sadly, another day of violence with at least 3 officers dead and 7 hurt in Baton Rogue.

sigh.

well, got out before hearing the news for 12 miles with Speedster friends.  12 for me, about 8+ at a good clip, including the bridge and sunrise, and a sighting of an injured buddy able to run/walk.  Did 3+ a little easier.  I think walking part of a marathon and then running the end (what I did last SUnday) is more tiring than just running the whole thing.  At any rate, after racing yesterday, I think the week caught up with me and I was happy to stop at 12.

Then we had drama at the county club--we park there, then reconvene after and chat a bit, towel off, etc.  One of the guys was sitting on the back of his CRV (on the open hatch) talking with my friend Carolyn.  She said later he didn't say anything in response to what she was relating to him, so she started calling his name and realized he was just staring ahead.  She called for help, got him on the ground and started to do nurse things while my other nurse friend Jami ran over, grabbed his ankles and elevated them.  Fortunately, they didn't have to do CPR and he revived but it was scary.   Another reminder of why it's important to be sure you drink enough, and something with electrolytes, and to

wear a Runner ID (we may not all be lucky enough to suffer a mishap with two active nurses around us!)

Holly--story about the basket building in OHIO on CBS morning news this am.

DH said the same thing about Jay and about racewalking after being fortunate enough to get a 1:1 lesson in Watertown in April.

Enjoy your Sunday  afternoons and evenings, I need to get in a nap so I can do what needs to be done.

A

https://agratefullifedotnet.wordpress.com/  (for a piece or two of my mind)

Aamos,

thats scary stuff! That was from dehydration? Wow!  Hopefully everything is ok .

Went for 12 today but only got 11. A couple things went wrong . First I was sluggish from the beginning so I think maybe I was not  fuled up sufficiently. Second I think I need a bigger shoe size. I have noticed on anything over 6 miles my toes begin to hurt and today it became so painfull I decided to just pack it in and walk home. My feet seem to swell more than in the past and my toes are jamming into the toe box on every step. I have wore the same size for years but somethings gotta change. My wife thinks I have hobbit in my background so that's probably why my feet are still growing.

Rest day tomorrow. I think I need one.

Larry

Chumbawamba: I get knocked down But I get up again You're never going to keep me down

coastwalker

Hi again,

I still haven't seen any news reports today, but what Aamos reported is pretty sobering, sad, and frustrating. Are we, as a nation, becoming desensitized to all this violence? If we are, we've got even bigger problems ahead of us.

Aamos, that is also a scary story about what happened with your friend at the parking lot. Thank goodness the nurses were there, and that Carolyn realized there was a problem as quickly as she did, and knew what to do. Meanwhile, good for you for getting 12 done, and for knowing when to stop.

I had a great time with Henry and Marj at our RW clinic this morning. They were great students, and made some excellent progress for their first time out. There was another newbie there this morning ( the ED of Seacoast Family Food Pantry, which is our beneficiary for the Seacoast Half Marathon this year), as well as some 'regulars,' so it was a bit of a busy morning. Fortunately for me, my ankle had held up fine earlier, and I got in 8 good RW miles around New Castle island before the clinic.

After I got back home, we had a late breakfast with our guests (who all slept late), and they've since gone to pack up so they can continue on their journey home. Depending on what time they leave, there may be a nap in my future...

Continue having a greta Sunday!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Steve - your runs sound like going on a safari.
              good job on keeping out of tag’s bear story.
              lots of good-lookin’ snakes out there.
              kind of too-close-for-comfort photos though.
              5K - 34:45 (AG 2/4 - 11:13 m/m)
              After talking myself into yesterday’s first run in probably 30 years without the motivation of race or some purpose other than just running somewhere for the sake of running somewhere, turning around and coming back, today’s 5K race I’ve been doing off-and-on since it started some twenty years ago from-and-around the very hospital I came out of into the world in 1943 provided a much clearer excuse for taking the time to run instead of doing other things that would otherwise need doing.  Ala amy’s friend, running with so many doctors around is pretty reassuring too.  However, I think I'll keep the radio off again for a while.  thanks

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

evanflein

Steve - your runs sound like going on a safari.
                good job on keeping out of tag’s bear story.
                lots of good-lookin’ snakes out there.
                kind of too-close-for-comfort photos though.

That's pretty much just what I was thinking! Greta job on the 5k, Tet! You're really running well these days.

Larry, just a half a size up will make a big difference. Hobbit or not, your feet need room!

Amy, my first thought would've maybe been he was having a stroke, but good thing there were knowledgable nurses there to help him.

BTW, I was talking to Bad Bob yesterday after the race (he didn't run but his wife did), and he's doing great. Of course, he's pushing his recovery a bit by walking longer than they want him to at this point, but he said by next year he'd be back doing whatever he wanted to do. I was actually surprised that it would take that long. He described the experience of "his drama," as he called it, and it was very interesting. He thought he just passed out from the heat/effort and was surprised to hear what really happened. One of the doctors who was there that night took 2nd for women in yesterday's race.

Oh, and Holly, I didn't think it was a bad result and I gave it pretty much all I had, but it still was a PW for that race. I'm ok with that, given what I'm dealing with.

And what I'm dealing with is a foot that is now more sore in the forefoot/metatarsal area. Not like when I had metatarsalgia years ago, that was more localized. This is a general soreness in the forefoot that's more aggravating than anything else. Jury is still out on a run today or not, but I have plenty to do around here to keep me busy!

Marathon Maniac #957

Great picture of Jay, Marj and Henry!

Tet - nice racing!

No workout for me today.  We drove back from Zanesville, and I have been busy with work, errands, and home care in preparation of our vacation coming up in a week. Plus I just felt lazy.  If I don't work out first thing in the morning, I seldom get it done.   Back at it tomorrow.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Mariposai

What a great picture of our Jay, Marj and Henry. Butterfly hugs to each one of you!

Holly, enjoy your vacation next week.

Erika, sorry about the foot issue. Not a bad race result for you, all things considered.

Aamos, what a scary experience with the runner. I do need to get a runner's ID, I run on very lonesome roads around here.

Hallar, look at your rake in the miles. Great job on the 12 miler today.

Another sad event in our country.

Yesterday afternoon we went to do some wine tasting in BC, Canada. We hit only 3 of the 33 wineries in the region, 3 was plenty for us. Then we ended the evening in my favorite Italian Restaurant. I was surprised to see that Nanna, now in her 80s is still making their marinara sauce from scratch like she did when the family opened their restaurant 20 plus years ago. Great meal, fun afternoon.

We are having a cooler day today. The Easy Pacer and I decided to go for a a recovery run. We ran 4 together then I ran an additional 3 at a very sproinky pace, which is surprising to me since I ran 13 hilly miles yesterday and 14 trail miles on Thursday. I like how I felt after the run and I hope I get more of that feeling as the summer training progresses. 50 miles for the week.

Butterfly hugs to all.

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

wildchild

Carolyn

Howdy, masters!

Well, I survived my 50 miler yesterday, on very little training.  It was actually 54 miles, and  I finished just ahead of the cutoff at 15:53.  A long and beautiful day in the mountains.  The whole course is above 9,700 ft, with a high point of 12, 362 at Sheep Mountain.  Now I've got a really BIG red bar on my running log graph!

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

Marathon Maniac #957

Howdy, masters!

Well, I survived my 50 miler yesterday, on very little training.  It was actually 54 miles, and  I finished just ahead of the cutoff at 15:53.  A long and beautiful day in the mountains.  The whole course is above 9,700 ft, with a high point of 12, 362 at Sheep Mountain.  Now I've got a really BIG red bar on my running log graph!

Wow!  Amazing, but not surprising - well done!!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Holly - definitely work with the PT office on that bill ....the amount sounds ridiculous and most PT offices call your insurance company BEFORE they even see you to let you know what kind of coverage you have ..... at least that's how it works around here.

Wildchild - nice 50(54) miler!!

Marj and Henrun - not surprised you were great students!! Henry hope your knee surgery goes well!

Jay - I am sure you are an awesome teacher as you are host!!

Aamos - glad there were people around to help out.

Posai - sounds like you had a wonderful birthday!!

Tet - loved your running/non-running recap!!

I am still on the partial DL list - can run 3-4 miles but still have pain afterward and not pushing past that distance, biking is going well and getting up tomorrow for another swim.

The weekend was a definite blur for me!! I woke up early Friday morning and ran 3.5 miles plus some PT exercises before work -- had a ridicuously busy day then came home to my 3 yr old and 5 week old granddaughters. Son and his gf are split up AGAIN and he was supposed to have both girls for the weekend. Well he was exhausted from working out in the sun all day plus driving about 2 hours each way so I ended up with both girls in my bed for the night .....needless to say there was very little sleep on my part!! Saturday and today were equally as crazy at work and I shouldn't even be awake right now!! In fact - I am going to bed!!

Goodnight all and I will try to keep up somewhat!!

denise

Hi everyone,

Sorry that I have been absent for the past two weeks but it has been a blur for me, that’s for sure. MrStarr (Lon) had some anxiety on vacation that manifested itself enough that I called home to make an appointment with a counselor.  I told you guys that I took him to the ER and they put him on more antidepressants and a sedative, Ativan.   Long story short, the kids were all here o week ago on Saturday for a family meeting with the first therapist we saw.  Lon was not here for most of it and when his friend brought him back everyone had decided that it was best if Angela move out.  Lon didn’t think it was the right decision and doesn’t think it will work.  He basically went to bed and stayed there, sleeping or just thinking for the rest of the weekend.  One of our apartments was vacant so we moved her stuff over there and that’s actually been going well this week.  She has been talking to my SIL and has a good relationship with her.  Friday night she came over for supper and we played a game of Shanghai Rummy, so that was encouraging,,, the first time he’s wanted to do that since this all happened.

During all this I felt like I was betraying both my husband and my daughter when this whole “intervention” was being planned and. Meanwhile I am trying to take care of all the stuff, bills, apartments, management stuff, lawn mowing, returning his cell phone calls for work, texts and emails not to mention doctor appointments. We saw three different doctors last week and the cardiologist has some abnormalities with his stress test to discuss this week.  I am doing OK, trying to get enough sleep and still running when I can.  I got dressed to go out for a seven mile run at 7:00pm but remembered that I left something in my cart at Shopko, so back I went.  Tomorrow morning will be 59° at J O’clock so that’s when I’ll do the 7 miles.

For those of you not on FB, our yard was chosen for the “Flower Power Yard of the Week”! I have no idea who nominated us, but it was fun to see the sign.  I'll try to get some better pictures tomorrow of the rest of the flowers.

“Courage is not defined by those who fought and did not fall, but by those who fought, fell, and rose again.” — Adrienne Rich

SteveP

Thanks for the electrolyte reminder Aamos.

Haller, I can empathise with the shoes thingy. I wear steel toed boots at work. There isn't any breaking them in. Pounding the pavement (or trails) has made an extra wide advisable. What would Tet do?

I agree, Jay. We need to revitalise our society.

Tet, while on trails in FL, I've seen signs that remind us it's possible to tell if a snake is venomous by looking at it's pupils. uh huh.

Carolyn has earned some fine ice cream.

You have too much on your plate, Starr. (((((hugs))))).

The rain was coming down in buckets. Bleeh. After church, Tag and I went to work for a few hours. At first he was excited. Then he decided that work is dumb.

After the weather cleared, we got a nice couple of miles in.

SteveP

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

DH said the same thing about Jay and about racewalking after being fortunate enough to get a 1:1 lesson in Watertown in April.

Enjoy your Sunday  afternoons and evenings, I need to get in a nap so I can do what needs to be done.

A

In the middle of the race, no less!

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.