Masters Running

Two's-day the 2nd Day of September Runs and Such (Read 548 times)

{{{{{{{{{{Perch}}}}}}}}}}}} You've been running very well too... Rest day for me...Skagit Flats on Sunday...
    Looking for a place to Happen, making stops along the way - The Hip
      Well, with the exception of Peter I feel like I fit right in today with everyone doing step-back distances. Mine was 5.1 miles at a 10-minute pace in cool but humid conditions. I think I'm starting to feel like I've been overdoing the exercise between running and biking the last couple of weeks, so I might take it easy the next few days (legs were a bit dead this morning). (Mary, was that the first mention of Brinkley in a while? With all the new pup action, I was afraid you'd forgotten the poor dog.) I hope everyone else is enjoying the traditional post-Labor-Day mayhem on the roads and at the schools, etc.

Doug, runnin' cycling in Rochester, MI

"Think blue, count two, and look for a red shoe"

wildchild

Carolyn

Perch, sorry about your leg! I hope the 10 days off fixes it. Good luck, and I hope not running doesn't make you too crazy! Jlynne, congrats on the 1000 miles! I smiled when I read that you were too tired on Sunday to run the extra 0.6 miles to make 1000. If it was Dec 31st you might have done the 0.6, but not just on Aug 31st! And Twocat, congrats on the 2000 miles! Erika, Your 23 miles sounds great except for that fall. How's the knee today? Mary, I know what you mean about the puppy attacks. My dogs still do that when I do pushups, and they're both 3 years old. Maybe they think I want to play, since I'm down on the floor. DickyG, for a tough course, 9:08 is a pretty fast pace! It was cool here this morning too - 37 degrees! I'm not quite ready for fall yet, though. Its supposed to be cool in town today, too, so I'm looking forward to a run at lunchtime. Last night I went out for an untimed 3 miles with the dogs, and had the best run I've had in weeks! I'm not sure why - could be that I ran early on Saturday and Sunday, and I'm really not a morning runner, so that made those runs extra sluggish. I just felt really strong on the hills, and although I did take walk breaks, I really charged the hills and felt good. It was cool and there was a nice sunset, too. We saw a pair of grouse crossing the road that drove the dogs crazy, but fortunately no fartleks because I saw them first. Wink

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

What a hot day!!! 3k warm up 5X600 at 10k pace with one minute jog in between 4k warm down Girls first day of school. My youngest who is 11 asked me to accompany her to school but once we found her friends she dismissed...OK you can go home now...how sweet. Hope everyone is doing great. Going shopping today for a new kitchen table... Cheers Tall

Recent Best times: None recently

Sorry I didn't get to post my Sunday run so here it is: Sunday morning long run - 20.07 Miles - 2:48:36 (8:24) Avg HR 124 Max HR 143 - 75 degrees and 58% humidity 9:31 - 9:03 - 8:49 - 8:44 - 8:50 - 8:33 - 8:15 - 8:00 - 7:40 - 7:45 - 7:42 - 7:48 - 8:27 - 8:13 - 8:14 - 8:23 - 8:19 - 8:29 - 8:39 - 9:00 - :05 Holy Carp I take a vacation and all hell breaks loose down here! We had some clown steal a brand new 2008 Corvette and put it into a tree on Saturday at a very high speed, not much left of the car he was a little luckier, and then at about 0330 this morning we had one of our locals call 9-1-1 to report that he had been involved in a stabbing (and yes it was a homocide) so needless to say when I got in this morning it was quite busy and will be for some time! Shocked It's too bad to say, but this is one that we've (our agency) been predicting for awhile. Hopefully I'll catch up on things here and get my run in later today and post it this evening...if I'm lucky. Another gloriously sunny day with low humidity here in New England, good runs all. Smile
              hopeful4ever I bet DH will be fine. The rest of the guys with him . . . Wink Hope the dogie like the run too! Holly S. alas, coming back from an injury means running a loooooong time before you are back to your old times. Sad But you do get there! Smile CNYrunner mellow miles . . . snort . . . yea like I believe you! Big grin breger1 dog! Clowning around SueT48 nice hill run! My neighbors keep out an old ceramic plate from the bottom of a plant pot filled with seed for the turkeys. I have seen some of the local turkeys hanging in their back yard, you know just sitting around, and then wandering over to the dish every now and then. It is all quite comical. So your plan may work. My DW and I just wait for a flock to come by and then throw seed out for them. At first they are pretty shy, but now when the see us they come running over! It is quite a sight and quite entertaining! Jlynne congratulations on breaking the 1K mile mark today! As a kid, and an adult too, I would rather have 90° sans AC then 20° with heat! Peter NC not only does it feel like Monday but all weekend I kept getting what was happening when during the week all mixed up as a result. I hope your week's schedule seems less confusing than mine apparently is. Good luck with the mileage increase for the marathon. dg. hay the best part of running is the socializing! Don't let it make miles not count! It is what they are for. Big grin Thanks for the bunny hat tip. WillRunForBeer the weather looks like it will hold out until some of these hurricanes, or what will be left of them, head our way. Sad Alas, it looks like the next one is timing itself for the weekend here in CT. DickyG having the hurricane weaken and head a bit west was a great break for NOLA. It looks like the damage will not be as bad as they otherwise thought it might be. Some days luck is worth a lot. Nice 4 miler on big hills today. enkephalin if you really want to get that RR out you can borrow my "editor" for a bit. I am sure he or it could be a she will be happy to bug you mercilessly for it! Big grin Unrelated to that, I bet your kids are really happy though! perchcreek good call. A break in training earlier in the cycle is better than one later on. rochrunner nice recovery run. wildchild 37°! [Editor: sorry Twocat is flat on the floor. Somebody get a doc!] Help I hate winter . . . gasp . . . and you call that fall! [Editor: nuts the guy is back on the floor! Where is that doc!] Tallrunner oh much better somebody reporting a HOT day! Big grin mainerunnah great 20 miler yesterday. Sorry about what looks like a pretty tragic start to the day. Sorry, I forget what is it you do that these self made disasters blow by your desk? Whatever it is I am happy there are others out there to handle things like this. Twocat with no more bunny to beat I got up this morning and my calves were a bit sore from yesterday's race. So I decided I would wait until the afternoon to figure out how much, and what type of run to do if I did one at all. I had planned to run the local Norwalk Half Marathon this Saturday. When I signed up for it a couple of days ago the forecast was pretty good. Now it is a 70% chance of heavy rain and high winds as the remnants of some hurricane hit. Naturally, Friday and Sunday look just fine. Angry Anyway, if the weather turns sour I plan to bail on the race. Here now is my "official" RR from the New Haven 20K. I was very happy to see CNY again. As to the race itself, I ran it and did ok. Not terrific but ok. But the party and food after the race were great! Post-race I headed straight to the food tent to pick up the loaves of bread they were giving out and to get a couple of doughnuts! I LOVE doughnuts! A weakness I picked up from dear old dad. But, since they are such a great health food . . . I never eat them. Cry After a 20K race however all bets are off! Yippee! That CNY is why I looked so happy at the finish! I knew doughnuts were waiting for me! Next it was off to my friend's place for her annual post-race food fest party. There I found blueberry coffee cake, apple cake, muffins of various sorts, cashews, honey roasted nuts, cheese . . . Best of all no inhibitions about eating them either! Yes, I LOVE junk food and it normally takes every ounce of my will power to say no to it. (Holly just in case you thought you were unique here! Big grin) Between eating and seeing my friends I had a great time. Alas, this morning my scale reminded me that my stomach can eat faster than my legs can run which means it is back to starvation rations again. Sad A Quick Word on Injuries[start sermon here] I know a lot of us are either struggling with injuries or have struggled with them and I feel bad seeing when I see our friends get down on themselves about getting one. So I thought I would point out that I saw an article the other day on line by an Olympic level U.S. runner about training and injuries. He said elite athletes get hurt at the rate of once a month due to their training. I suspect "hurt" includes even the most minor tweak. He then wrote that injury management is just a standard part of good training as it is inevitable if you push yourself. Now I do not think anybody here should be training so hard that they injure themselves once a month! Nobody here is going to make a living through there running. We run because we like to do it. Maybe it is the simply pleasure it may bring, or just for the health benefits. However, it does mean people should not think they necessarily did "something wrong" when they get injured either. If you bother to post on a running forum you are waaay more serious about running then the average person. Always remember the average person you see on the street will likely walk less than a mile that day let alone run even two. That walking TV remote control activation device you see would view running four miles as a Herculean feet. Which is a long way to say that you should expect your injury rate to correlate with how hard you push your training in search of performance. Yes, you can and should train in a way that keeps the rate down but it is just unrealistic to expect it to be zero. So for all of our friends here who are recovered from injuries, or are currently recovering from them, or will get them they are little (quite annoying) badges of honor! Injuries, alas, are dispensed by our bodies as one of the rewards of pushing them to their finest physical performance! Do not despair or get down about them when they happen! (Ok, a little bit is normal just do not overdo it. Wink) We all get better, run again, and (sigh) get hurt again! But as our reward we can hike, travel, play and do a million other things that the world's couch potatoes can only do via television. So be happy even when waiting out your injuries! [end sermon]

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

King of PhotoShop

Twocat makes a good point. I love the Ron Daws quote on injuries: "Runners are only in one of three different states: injured, recovering from an injury or thinking about the injury they would like to have next." Steve, your base is enormous and you don't need any advice from me. Good plan. Jeanne, a great year for you. Keep it up. dg, I am not sure those prone leg curls will do anything at all for your legs, at least that is the current thinking. If you want to strengthen the hamstrings get a stability ball and then write to me. I will give you some good exercises from my PT I walked the same distance that Roch ran today, 5.1 miles, but it was the slowest, most sluggish walk I have done in a long while. Just couldn't get any energy in the legs, so I strolled this whole walk in about 18:30's. Beautiful day out today too. Spareribs
                  Amen. Good sermon, Twocat. Will probably run just a few recovery miles when and if, although I really should go to the gym. It's "boot camp" day there, though, so better go there tomorrow. It was a long weekend, so we went to a marathon. ADT in Col. Springs. There was a lot of downhill, but also a fair amount of altitude (starts at 7250) so a 3:34 for me. Top 5% for women [5th out of 102 women (and the first 4 are all from Colorado, so acclimated.)] Just over top 10% overall [27th out of 251]. The Buffs bested CSU Big grin --gotta love a team that brings a live buffalo to the home games as a mascot. grins, A ps: Perch--thinking about you. Can you use the elliptical or bike while you're off?
                  Masters 2000 miles

I Can Go The Distance

Today was suppose to be a speed day for me but it just did not work out. Between the weather 67F and 94% humidity and having eaten to much at both the reunion this weekend and the holiday yesterday, I could only get in 4x1000 instead of 6 and they were very slow. I did manage though to get in my 9 miles. 2.5 miles warm-up in 27:05 1000's (goal time 4:56) 5:04 5:00 5:04 5:06 3.5 mile cool-down in 35:55 Total 9 miles in 1:28:39 9:51 pace Have a great day everyone Bruce

"Don't give up, don't ever give up." Jim Valvano

evanflein

{{Perchcreek}} Hang in there, Steve buddy... you're doing the right thing. Time for some more pool running? I might join you... Mainerunnah is in law enforcement, right? Sounds like you came back just in time... Wildchild, my knee itself is fine, but I'm bruised a bit and my left shoulder is a little "wonky" feeling. It was a weird fall... sort of felt like slow motion but I remember thinking "roll to the left" to avoid a full face plant in the roots. I didn't do anything yesterday but go shopping and putter around the house. We were going to go out to the lake, but it got too late, DH got cranky and we ended up grilling our burgers and stuff right there at home. Invited his sister over and we sat out in the yard and talked till almost 8! We never seem to get organized enough to get our act together and actually get anywhere on time and in one piece. I need PDR to come do some planning and organizing of my life for awhile... maybe it would rub off. It's a beautiful day and should be up to 70 this afternoon. I love these nice late summer/early fall days. Hope it holds till the 20th... I might run at lunchtime, or I might take another rest day. Once I get that last really long hard run out of the way, I like to take a little break before race day.
                        ...and I need to pull up a lawn chair with evanflein and just chill out with a beer or two or three and chat. For no reason that I can fathom, I was speedy this morning. Just when I was starting to think that I was a complete lost cause. 9 miles: 10:10, 9:58, 9:51, 9:44, 9:37, 9:16, 9:41, 8:38, 8:11 That was kinda fun.

aka Mrs. WillRunForBeer, MD, USA

Marathoning, the triumph of desire over reason

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

I thought of MaineRunnah this morning as I headed south on the Maine turnpike and saw a car with Maine plates "RUNAH" only one "N", but pretty close. Smile I missed the sitting in traffic last night with all the natives sitting on the overpasses waving goodbye to all those from away. it was a glorious weather weekend to end the summer. I wish I could stay on our lake the whole month of September. Sad Kevin

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

lamerunner

Hello masters; good afternoon. I guess it is really September. Ran an easy eight or so this morning, legs were tight at first. It was beautiful yesterday and I was still annoyed with my poky 5k, so I went for a bike ride, about two hours, probably 26-28 miles. No speed records but it was fun, first time out all season. A bit windy ( bridges were exciting) but light traffic. I felt a bit better about the stupid race when I realized a) I had done two runs of 21 or more miles in the ten days before and b) my legs were doing ok on the bike, though my left knee was barking a bit. Happy runs to all!
                            lamerunner

PS Evanflein, what is the Alaska buzz on Sarah Palin? There is a certain irony in her positions on sex education....
                              wildchild

Carolyn

PS Evanflein, what is the Alaska buzz on Sarah Palin? There is a certain irony in her positions on sex education....
                                Yeah, I heard she advocates abstinence-only sex ed... Roll eyes Amy, another fine marathon, and another 1st in AG... does that ever get boring? Cool Twocat, your RR was more about the food than the running! Big grin Bruce, sorry you lost your sproink today. Looks like PDR found it, so all's well! This exemplifies the first law of thermodynamics: the total energy of the universe remains the same.

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.