Masters Running

Mrs. Tramps' National Marathon RR (Read 302 times)

Okay, by popular demand, I got DW to send me a section of her report to her tri group.

FYI, B2B is her iron-distance tri this Fall.

-----------------

I felt good going into the race. Based on my race and training times, I thought I was good for a 4:45, maybe even lower if everything fell into place. My strategy was to run a conservative first half (about 10:45-11:00 minute miles), then if all was going well, pick it up to 10:30 at the half, push harder for the last 10K, and spend it all on the last 1.2 miles.

Then my period started. I was up and down all night Friday. I hoped that was the worst of it, but nope. By the time the gun went off I was cramping hard with heavy flow. As I’m dashing to the john while my corral is moving up to the start line I briefly thought about bagging it, and then reminded myself that we don’t get to pick the conditions of our races, and that part of the training is learning to deal with the hand you’re dealt on race day.

It was hard to judge pace. Mile markers were missing, and my Garmin readings were way off from the mile markers when I was able to spot them. I focused on running a “forever” pace, and felt good. I had to force myself to take walk breaks and to slow down.

It was also hard to take a pit stop, but a necessity. Waiting in line by a john during a race with runners going by is one of the harder things I’ve done lately. At this point I recognize I have to let go of the 4:45, and just concentrate on having a good run with a strong finish.

So it’s going well, I’m having fun and the running actually feels relatively effortless. Then at mile 11, I get this sudden, sharp pain in my right knee joint. I involuntarily shouted an expletive so loud that other runners turned around. I walk a few steps; it doesn’t hurt; so I jog a few, and DAMN IT HURTS LIKE HELL every time I put my right foot down.

This worries me—a lot. I know enough to know that sudden sharp pain is not good. It was one of the few times during the race that I felt ready to cry. My first reaction was to bag the race—it clearly was not meant to be. Then some voice inside asked myself “at the end of this race do you want reasons or results?” Well, I’ve worked too damn hard to just have reasons instead of results, so I try to come up with a plan.

I want to finish, but at the same time I don’t want to injure myself so badly that I’m out for 6-8 weeks and back to square one. After all, at the end of the day this is just a training run for B2B. I can’t quite figure out what is going on. Did I land funny on the uneven surface? Is the tape on my shin throwing my gait off? I pull off the tape and decide to try and walk it off. I walk, jog, it hurts, I walk a little longer, jog, it hurts, I walk even longer, jog, not so bad this time. I decide to give it to the halfway point. If I’m not back up to running pain free by then, I’ll stop.

I make it to the halfway point, but I never am able to recover that “forever” pace—there’s just been too much starting and stopping, and in retrospect, I think deep down inside there was some part of me that was a bit afraid to push the knee.

I’m disappointed that I’m not even going to break 5:00. I remind myself six months ago I was just starting a one mile walk/run program, I’m grateful to be running, and focus on finishing strong.

Around mile 17 I’m starting to get this odd reaction that I’ve had a couple of times now at longer distances. I feel an awful urge to pee, my nose starts running thin and clear, and my eyes start watering. It’s like my body is trying to get rid of water however it can. I figure either my blood pressure is way high, or my sodium level is low. One way to find out—and that’s what this training run is about. I take another e cap even though I had one just 3 miles ago. I felt better within a mile.

By mile 19 I’m starting to hurt, and I’m pretty much running by myself. But you know, it’s a nice day, the sun is out, and the run is interesting. And despite the cramps and the aches, I feel pretty good.

Shortly after that, I keep hearing this annoying sound. At first I thought it was my race number rubbing funny. Then I realize it’s me—wheezing. (A couple hours after the race I coughed up a chunk of something nasty looking, and nothing since.)

Mile 20 and across the river. Just a 10K left.

Mile 21. I’m into unknown territory now--never done this distance before.

Mile 22. Everything hurts. I focus on moving from one mile to the next. But I never get that “death march” feel. In fact, I can’t help but think that if this is how I feel at the end of B2B, I’m good to go.

Mile 23. Damn, where did that hill come from? Up I go. Just a 5K left.

Mile 24. I run into someone from the running club. She’s walking. I tell her to hang on, and she does for the next mile. It’s nice to have some company for a few minutes. Over the horizon I can see the finish. I imagine what it will be like to finish B2B.

Mile 25. It’s time to go home. I’ve had enough. It’s been a great day, but I want to be done. I let loose, and finish with my fastest mile of the entire race (at a 10:10 pace), a sure sign that I’ve got a faster marathon in me.

So to sum it all up, it wasn’t a fantastic race, it wasn’t a miserable race. I had a good race and learned a lot. Most importantly, I now have a good understanding of what to expect when I get off the bike at B2B. Now that’s a motivator for all those long, hot summer workouts to come!

Be safe. Be kind.

Mike E

MM #5615

Thanks for passing this along.  Another great report.  Like I said before--man, I'm glad I'm not a woman! 

Jlynne

You rock Mrs. Tramps! An awesome recap of your day - both the ups and downs part of it. With all you had going on, imagine how easy that Iron Man is going to be. Smile   Congratulations on finishing your first (I'm sure of many more) marathon!

Mrs. Tramps (ok, I hate saying that....you need your own handle), to go from zero to marathon in 6 months is freaking amazing!  That was a scary knee pain.  I think most people would have folded at the half.  Congratulations, marathoner!

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

I caught a bit of True Grit on TV while running in th egym today.  John Wayne has nothing on Ms. Tramps.  I hope the recovery goes well and the knee is nothing serious.  Congratulations.

Super run with less than ideal challenges---even more impressive that way! And rather than saying never, ever again you are already thinking of the PR in the next one-- never mind that it's an Ironman distance Tri. Good on you as well for encouraging others at mile 24.

Congratulations marathoner!

....that's some Tough Racing//......Mrs Tramps, you are one Tough Runner....

THE GOOD NEWS

the next ones

have GOT to be easier....if only by default

.........hell of a race......

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

Way to go, DW du Tramps!  Tough conditions for the marathon distance.  Best of luck at B2B.

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com

I just love this:

I briefly thought about bagging it, and then reminded myself that we don’t get to pick the conditions of our races, and that part of the training is learning to deal with the hand you’re dealt on race day.

That kind of attitude will get you very very far in this endurance business.  Congratulations on gutting it out.  You're one tough runner with a bright and shiny future.

aka Mrs. WillRunForBeer, MD, USA

Marathoning, the triumph of desire over reason

SteveP

Well done Mrs tramps. It isn't easy. You've earned a lot of respect. Thanks for sharing your experience and insight.

SteveP

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Mrs. Tramps (ok, I hate saying that....you need your own handle), to go from zero to marathon in 6 months is freaking amazing!  That was a scary knee pain.  I think most people would have folded at the half.  Congratulations, marathoner!

I think so, too.  As nice a guy as Tramps is, you can now certainly stand on your own.  Dare I say, even hang out around here, and give us the real scope on your DH Wink

Great race and even better determination.  big things are in your future

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

i'm lovin' it... MM#1949

Fantastic job you Marathoner!

It's these awefully tough ones ,that you overcome obstacles like you did, that will make subsequent endurance events that much easier.  You will remember this and the fact that you prevailed!  That will probably help you more in the future than a faster time.

Congratulations DW du Tramps Smile

Perch's Profile "I don't know if running adds years to your life, but it definitely adds life to your years." - Jim Fixx "The secret is to make in your mind possible what was not possible before. The secret is to make easy what was difficult, instead to make difficult what really is easy." - Coach Renato Canova

Then some voice inside asked myself “at the end of this race do you want reasons or results?”

Two thumbs up for that right there!

Congratulations!

Quit being so damn serious! When we change the way we look at things, the things we look at change. "Ya just gotta let it go." OM

usandtoto-2@msn.com

Congrats marathoner...  I agree with you, you never know what going to happen on race day.  You just have to do to best you can on that day.  I think you handled everything very well.  Including your knee pain.  Great attitude, just keep moving forward.  You will have many different thoughts going though your head during your "iron-distance" TRI.  Much more time to keep moving forward to the goal.  Let us know how your training is progressing and of course when the big day is.  We all want to read THAT report..

Congrats again.

Marathon Maniac #530 Mike (My Indian name is "Runs for Beer")

Mariposai

So to sum it all up, it wasn’t a fantastic race, it wasn’t a miserable race. I had a good race and learned a lot. Most importantly, I now have a good understanding of what to expect when I get off the bike at B2B. Now that’s a motivator for all those long, hot summer workouts to come!

You had an amazing race MARATHONER!!!!!!!!! and I am so very proud of you!!!!

Your race report grab me in the deepest core of my heart (yes, I have been there...the last 4 marathons, including MARATHON in Greece)  I had the "unwanted" visitor...but had to deal with it as it comes, right?

I love your spirit and your tenacity!!!

Here is a bouquet of flowers for you MARATHONER!!!!

Keep inspiring us to higher grounds!!!!

Thanks for the race report! I loved every word you said!

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard