Masters Running

The Saturday Daily (Read 412 times)

Mariposai

Where is every body? How can it be that a PNW runner is starting the fun for the day?

2 miles for my wings this morning, no need for more. I used this run to mentally go over my checklist for the kid's fair I organized for today in conjunction with the Farme'rs market. Last year we had over 250 kids, this year with 20 booths and a lot more promotion we are anticipating to have a larger crowd. We got to teach kids how to be physically active and how to take care of their own health.

go racers goooooo!!!

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

buenos gozaimasu chocho-san.

lucky kids.

how about someone up in Erika's time zone being second?

(unfortunately, still about 1,500 away from her in Fairbanks)

after seeing new grandson I may have already mentioned (oh, I have a new avatar too), took some of the Japanese runners out to see Mary's waterfall but got sidetracked with a bear family enjoying dinner on all the brilliant red sockey salmon in Steep Creek, right by the Vistor's Center Parking Lot, Mary

off for tenth Juneau Marathon since first 30 years ago but first in more than ten years.

Hope my time doesn't suffer from all the salmon streams, eagles, orcas, glacier views, etc. along the way. ji ji

a short walk to the fish market by wintercove

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

Good morning Mariposai, Tetsujin and all to follow. Great picture of the bear enjoying dinner - how close were you exactly?

3 rainy, windy miles this morning at a 9:47 pace. After a couple of days of too much eating (and maybe a little too much wine) I thought I'd have more zip - must be the weather. I went up another notch on the age belt this past week and my dear, dear, dear DH got me a Garmin 405 for a gift! My job today is to charge it and figure out all of its bells and whistles for a nice long run tomorrow.
        Have to catch up on all that's going on around here. By the way, our Michigan RA folks are truly blessed with a beautiful state - and very friendly people! We'll go back again for sure.

Off to farmer's market for some fresh fruit and veggies.

Have a great Saturday everyone.

Good morning Nancy and an early good morning to Jon in Alaska.  Jlynne, I'll be in Michigan next weekend.  I'd love to be in Alaska or Michigan right now!

Another good, if humid medium long run.  14.2 miles in a real sweat fest.  Surprisingly the shoes didn't get squishy till after 12 or so.  I'm trying to keep these runs easy so Coach doesn't disown me or something.  And I guess it's good news that trying to run easy ended up being 9:32 down to 8:34 at the end.  9:06 on average.  Glad to be done though.

I got my August plans from Coach Tinman yesterday and he wants me to run the upcoming weekend LR's in two parts:  2/3 of the mileage in the AM and another 1/3 in the PM.  By the end of August that will be 2 hours 20 mins in the morning, another 1 hour 10 minutes in the evening.

Tinman says that gives my legs a full 3 hours 30 minutes of work but only about 2 hours 45 minutes of fatigue for the body.  He's doing this primarily because of the H&H down here.  I think he'd like to keep me relatively fresh.  I'll be interested to see how this works.  I've always thought running doubles didn't equal a longer single at the same total mileage.

What the heck.  I'll try anything!

Bill

"Some are the strong, silent type. You can't put your finger on exactly what it is they bring to the table until you run without them and then you realize that their steadiness fills a hole that leaks energy in their absence." - Kristin Armstrong

i'm lovin' it... MM#1949

Great pic tet... I too hope it was taken with a long telephoto lens!! What a beautifu marathon route!!

Like Mari.. 2 miles but for the dogs. So steamy today 75F with 94% humidity.

I had a job interview yesterday in Greenville SC and I had on my resume that I was a marathon runner. So one guy, after the interview part, asked if I had heard of F.I.R.S.T.? Thanks to Holly and others, I was able to say "yes of course". He said that came from Furman Institute here in Greenville (the F.I. part of FIRST). I never knew where Furman was. Now I do. What a pretty city Greenville is.. wow!

Perch's Profile "I don't know if running adds years to your life, but it definitely adds life to your years." - Jim Fixx "The secret is to make in your mind possible what was not possible before. The secret is to make easy what was difficult, instead to make difficult what really is easy." - Coach Renato Canova

Yeah, it's crazy around here, sometimes there's 50 posts in a daily thread and sometimes there's 25, sometimes it gets started early and sometime not, thanks for starting us of Mariposai.

Cool pic Tet, yeah, how close were you??

That's cool nono about the retiring thing, glad to hear that it's worked for others.

That's interesting Breger, will be interested in hearing how the second half of your LRs go.  Principle sounds logical because you are still on fatigue legs.

GL Perch!!

Out for 9 mi today wi/ 5 x 1 mi repeats at a goal pace of 7:40.  They came in at 7:39, 7:36, 7:39, 7:31, 7:40.  I really concentrated on the last one and nailed it right on.  During the third repeat I had an epiphany, not sure why I didn't see it before but I realized my rt achilles problems stemmed from me altering my stride.  When I got my newest pair of running shoes in late June I noticed the wear pattern on the outside of the heal.  Also after my July 4th 5k I realized I was "braking" when my foot struck the ground.  Ever since then I've been trying to adjust my foot fall and have been focusing on the rt strike since that was the most pronounced in terms of braking.  So of course my rt leg was adjusting/compensating for this altered stride and whalah, rt achiiles issues.  So, after the epiphany I went back to my normal stride and was hitting a 7:05 pace before I reigned it back in.

I'm sooooooo happy to have found what I think is the culprit.  It was pretty frustrating not knowing.  Oh, and no issues with the rt achilles, I was ready to bag it at any point if I did.  So of course that adds to being happy.

Can't wait to hear from some of the racers including Teresa and her DS!!

rs

Troy Strawberry Festival 10k - 6/7/09 - Goal 46:xx -->46:18!!; Americana 5k - 7/4/09 - Goal 21:xx-->21:12!!; Brookville 5 miler - 7/25/09 - Goal-->34:xx-->36:21; Crim 10 Miler - 8/22/09 - Goal sub-1:15-->1:14:14!!; Alter 5k - 9/5/09 - Goal 20:xx-->20:32; AF Marathon - 9/19/09 - Goal sub-3:38 (PR)--> 3:41 (BQ)
              spacityrunner

Good morning RA peeps...

Out at 6:30 a.m. for a nice little 7 miler in 1:20ish...just what I set out to do.  Was 71F and 86% humidity, but by the time I got back it was 74F and 78% humidity.  wore the cushy, dorky headband  (SueT48, I always make sure to wear lipstick so that any dorkiness is overcome ) and the sweat was managed well, but I lost .5lb on this run so i did sweat buckets.  Drank 12oz of water while out there, and did not feel thirsty at all.  There were lots and lots of folks out this a.m.  I love running....

Did 1440M in the pool last night after work. 

Jlynne have fun with the 405..I want a 310xt...someday

Perch, like you I find there are a multitude of things I know about becuase everyone so freely shares on this site.  GL on the job

Mr. Ribs...you are my hero...I aspire to be just a quarter like you...happy heart anniversary to you and your family!!

I signed up for the Little Rock 1/2 marathon in March...encouraged a friend that lives in the area to sign up and walk it when her previous plans to do a long walk this fall fell through.  I told her I would if she would and she did so i did..

Anyone know of a decent, small (less than 2000) 1/2 being run columbus day weekend?  Prefer to stay close to the east coast so it doesn't cost me a $$$.....but don't mind some travel.. 

Good runs and good day everyone....

Trails Rock!

Renee the dog

My husband, Bayside, got home around 4:30 a.m. from Seattle and woke me so I'd get out there nice and early before the heat build up.  Unfortunately, I had to wait a bit as high tide was at 4:54 a.m., but time passed quickly!.

Did intervals at the beach.  70F and 96%H at 5:45 a.m.  With a good marine layer and some clouds too, it was quite easy out there. Went very well for mostly going by feel.  4.7 total miles...

Hope everyone has a great day!  Goooooo Racers!

GOALS 2012: UNDECIDED

GOALS 2011: LIVE!!!

King of PhotoShop

Nice pic Tet!

Amy, I'm so glad you figured out that AT problem.  Nice workout.

Thank you Liz.  I should get up to DC in the next year.  Let's have dinner again. 

6 for me in heavy rainstorm, but it was cool at least (and I had to do it because I said I was going to run 50 this week and I did).    Spareribs

Teresa, that is so so cool about your son!

Tetsujin - that marathon sounds beautiful!  Now I'm craving salmon.

You guys make me feel like a wuss for complaining about my 78% humidity and 66F.  But that is about my limit.  I just can't do higher temps or humidity than that in my current condition or should I say lack thereof.

4 mile horse trail loop, ran the whole way, up all the hills even though it was slower running them than walking.  Guess I am just stubborn.  Actually one walk break to take my shirt off and catch my breath a bit.  And I got to say hi to my favourite moss and algae covered tree stump.  (Glad no one could hear me.)  It just looks so lovely and predictable there right at the 2 mile mark of my run.  Someday I will stop to sit on it, and resume running with a green slimy bottom.  I took a long time to cool down after this run, dowsing myself at the water fountain like a bird in a bird bath.

My easy pace is about 1:15 min/mile slower now than before this setback.  I am running solely by perceived effort and that is the result.  Since it is just about perceived effort and not about actual paces, it feels like I am running as fast as I used to, which is all it is about.  We are all Kenyans in our minds.  In my particular mind I'm Kara Goucher, hope she isn't offended.  I did 0.81 miles near the end at what felt like tempo pace, and it was also about 1:15 slower than I used to be able to run that segment of the trail.  But it was very enjoyable!

Starting over is psychologically hard when I am so much slower than I used to be, but not starting over is even harder.

Enjoy the gift.

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

i'm lovin' it... MM#1949

enke..starting over is not so bad when you realize that the break rested other parts and made them stronger.  You'll find those paces come back and then some (especially when it cools off).... give it a few weeks. Perceived effort is the ticket.

Perch's Profile "I don't know if running adds years to your life, but it definitely adds life to your years." - Jim Fixx "The secret is to make in your mind possible what was not possible before. The secret is to make easy what was difficult, instead to make difficult what really is easy." - Coach Renato Canova

Slo

Hello all and a most happy Saturday !

Race Report.......Crossroads Sprint Triathlon

In a nutshell......I kicked @ass ! Very Happy

Swim 500 yds, Bike 15 miles Run 5k.

Finish time...... 1:19:46

30/219 OA

3rd AG 40 -44.......2nd Place AG Award because #1 got Overall Masters.

Swim 10:54

T1 2:31

Bike 43:26

T2 1:11

Run 21:44

My goal was an AG award finish. Last year I was 5th in my AG.

From the moment I entered the water until I crossed the finish line my Mantra was "AG Finish".

The conditions were light rain and cold. The swim was crowded. I ate more feet and felt people eating my feet from start to finish. The bike was windy but I just put my head down and put people behind me. My legs were burning for 80% of the distance.

Of the bike and onto the run. Our calves are marked with our age......I kept scanning for ages in my AG.....As soon as I found one I made sure I passed them fast enough that they would not attempt to keep up.....get about 200 yds on them and slow to a pace I could recover on and look for the next. I was so determined to get that AG finish....It was getting a little discouraging after I had already passed four and came across the 5th one.....I was thinking..."how many more are out there?" Well it turned out just two......and I wasn't going to catch them.

TammyinGP

Good afternoon, Friends.

Great pic Tet . . . where is the pic of you and your new grandson? I hope I haven't missed it.  That picture actually reminds me of a story we heard from our jetboat operator this past Thursday evening when we headed out on a 4 hr jetboat excursion along the Rogue River. He was telling us that a few wks prior they were jetting down the river and there had been reports from other operators of an osprey that caught a salmon, which at this point was beheaded and had just had the body of the fish in his mouth, probably with the intent of bringing it back to his nest. Well, when our particular boat operator came upon this osprey, it was right in front of the boat. Normally, they will fly away in plenty of time before the jetboats come barrelling down towards them. He had a very large salmon in his mouth though and wasn't moving. Finally, the operator realized if he kept this speed he'd hit the osprey, so he slowed down quickly, but not quick enough. The osprey did take off, with salmon in his beak, but the salmon fell out, hit the front windshield of the jetboat and the salmon was mutilated to smitherins and proceeded to cover all passengers in the first 4 rows of the boat with blood, guts and salmon pieces.  I asked him how his tips were that night . . . he said not so great.

out for a very short 2.5 mile run this a.m.  It was very warm at 8:30 and the dogs were just panting too much, so we cut our run short. One of the dogs tried to lay down in her very large water dish. I think we'll get a kiddie swim pool for them today so they can lay in the water.

Enjoy the weekend everyone!

Tammy

King of PhotoShop

Hello all and a most happy Saturday !

Race Report.......Crossroads Sprint Triathlon

In a nutshell......I kicked @ass ! Very Happy

Swim 500 yds, Bike 15 miles Run 5k.

Finish time...... 1:19:46

30/219 OA

3rd AG 40 -44.......2nd Place AG Award because #1 got Overall Masters.

Swim 10:54

T1 2:31

Bike 43:26

T2 1:11

Run 21:44

My goal was an AG award finish. Last year I was 5th in my AG.

From the moment I entered the water until I crossed the finish line my Mantra was "AG Finish".

The conditions were light rain and cold. The swim was crowded. I ate more feet and felt people eating my feet from start to finish. The bike was windy but I just put my head down and put people behind me. My legs were burning for 80% of the distance.

Of the bike and onto the run. Our calves are marked with our age......I kept scanning for ages in my AG.....As soon as I found one I made sure I passed them fast enough that they would not attempt to keep up.....get about 200 yds on them and slow to a pace I could recover on and look for the next. I was so determined to get that AG finish....It was getting a little discouraging after I had already passed four and came across the 5th one.....I was thinking..."how many more are out there?" Well it turned out just two......and I wasn't going to catch them.

Beautifully done SLO!  And great tactic on passing people.  Always pass with authority as you did today.  Sometimes it takes the wind right out of your opponent.  You did very well.  Spareribs

Good Afternoon all!

Nice runs folks---all of you--Enke, you are NOT A WUSS! Maraposai--cool about the kid's fair. You do such great work!

SLO_HAND! Way to rock it, Congrats. Nice workout Bill and Amie.

Running in the rain Ribs! Great mileage week for you.

I was up and out of the house at 5:50 am for the John & Jessie Kelly Ocean Beach Park 11.6 mile race in New London, CT. The report is in my log, but it was a good day indeed. I wanted to use this as a test of even pacing and  hit it. I had 7:30s as my goal and my official time of 1:26:27 translates to 7:27/28 pace---my watch time displays a 1:26:04 for when I actually crossed the line. Yee Haw! It was humid, hot, and hilly (9 am start time and 82º by 10 am). I felt pretty relaxed though the whole way. I ended up 2/35 in my age group and 14/141 women----118th overall. Dr. B drove and Iron J was there too. The best part was jumping into the ocean and paddling about---race number still pinned on. The lead singer for the band that played at the finish party (Run for Cover) is a top masters runner in the area and didn't look she had even broken a sweat. We swam around for a bit, had some chow-dah and headed back to MA. The winner of my age group is a client! (Connecticut College) She just turned 40---darn her----and runs marathons in 2:50-3:05. She's a super woman and so nice, so that was fun. I'll post a picture of us later.

Anyway---a good day and 13.6 total miles on the day----65 days straight of running.

Off to a minor league baseball game and then 10 almost 13 year-olds will be at our house overnight---you should see our bedroom closet as Mr. CNYrunner teen-proofed the house. "Honey,why are the matches in my sock drawer? Is this the cable for our internet connection? Oh good, you bought the Caffeine FREE Coke this time."