Masters Running

Halloween daily, 10.31.13 (Read 44 times)

will run for popsicles

Excellent use of cape.

Steve, I really can't understand why your DW would say such a ridiculous thing.  You look terrific!

Ok, I should be running, but I have to make dinner and tend to Halloweenies.

Door#5 is on the chopping block tomorrow.  I thought I would give it a rest, but it never hurts to meet new people.  I need to learn to say no.

In other news, I signed up for the 4 mile turkey "predictor" run again this year.   Since I know my time from last year, and I know roughly how much I have improved since then, I am hoping to win a turkey for the family and have my entry fee not quite pay for itself.  They also give out tons of door prizes at this one.

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

mrrun

calculating 'fitness age';.  NY Times has an article online now and printed sunday.  I'm not sure it's valid for most on this site as workout is +/- 30 minutes - I haven't seen 42 in eons

http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2013/10/31/how-old-is-your-health/

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Sometimes I feel so sorry for people who know me, . . . until I see your pictures steve.  thanks!

posie - it doesn’t look like him to me.
          Do you have a photo of his shoes to be sure?

This was his Halloween Custom. .

Speaking of shoes, how many years do they go back mobo?
          I have the first two of the six pairs of running shoes I’ve had since 1977 in my running museum,

a blue Brooks Vantage and orange Nike waffle stompers.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Steve - amongst the garbauge AOL clogs user screens with is today's "sign-that-end-is-near" of worst Halloween costumes.  I don't think I'll look but maybe it might help your DW appreciate your half-naked Batman a little more, but I doubt it.  oh well.

http://www.mandatory.com/2013/10/29/22-more-halloween-costume-fails-just-for-good-measure/?icid=maing-grid10%7Chtmlws-sb-nb%7Cdl7%7Csec1_lnk2%26pLid%3D398939

Is this the worst Halloween costume ever?

good luck in getting a nice turkey enke.

doesn't sound like the other ones have been so hot.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

will run for popsicles

tet: embarrassingly enough, that's only a couple of years' worth. I'm the world's worst at thinking new shoes will cure my woes. I am a sucker for a pretty lace. Our town has a large homeless population (homeless guys love the beach), so I'm pretty religious about giving them to the recyclers. So no shoes hang around toooooo long.

I had the old waffle trainers and loved them for many years. here's photo. Left them on top of the car after a canoe trip. One never really recovers from that sort of trauma. Shoes have sure changed over the years, no?

Maniac 505

Happy Halloween all.  Good luck to Holly in the high desert.

Mo boy, You NEED those shoes.

Today started a little spooky for me.  I’ve been on blood pressure meds for several years.  The smallest dose available, it has been so well controlled I don’t measure it as often as I probably should.

Early in the morning, I stood up and got very light headed.  It happens to all of us sometimes but this time was different.  It never totally went away.  For the rest of the morning I always felt a little off with a few big swoons,  everything else felt fine.  When I got home at about  6:00 AM I took my meds and put on my blood pressure cuff  210/119 Shocked  and that was when I didn’t get error messages.

I called the consulting nurse, answered a ton of questions, changed the batteries in my blood pressure tester and checked again.  She said it was not a 911 situation but told me some symptoms that could turn it into one.  She said to grab a cab and go to the ER.

So, at the ER 205/112, they took blood, hooked me up for an IV and told me to relax while they waited for all the blood work.

About an hour later the blood work came back normal.  I was down to 185/95.  Still really high but at that range he said he didn’t want to aggressively treat it.   I was told to double my meds,  monitor closely for the next few days,  see my regular doctor in a few days, and he listed conditions that I should make an immediate visit with my doctor.  So that’s where I’m at.  He seemed to think things would be back under control in the next day or two.  In the meantime I have a day or two off work till things sort of stabilize.

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

nice - me too.

mine’ll have to get cremated with me and sprinkled around at Walden Pond,

Mt. Washington, Pike’s Peak, Manchester Thanksgiving Road Race

and all the other races it would have been fun to do and places to go,

to say nothing of some I did and can never forget..

ps - did your run your first marathon in them too?

Are you an MM?

after three years in 'mine (1977-1979), I switched back and forth with Brooks Vantage until I went to Japan in 1984 and got infatuated with their traditional straw, cloth and wooden footwear, if anything at all.

When they would wear down, I liked them so much at the time, I'd insert an insole and sometimes glue to the sole outside too.

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

dave - give me a call anytime.

I'm close by in the ID.

- jon

ps- in spite of his "never again" vow after the 2008 White River 50 Mile Endurance Race, and "retirement" after no. 333 qualifier for the Marathon Maniacs Hall of Fame in last year's Light-at-the-end-of-the-Tunnel Marathon, SRL is on the lsit of MM's in next year's daunting and dangerouis Cascade Crest Century 100-mile in August!

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

THanks for the confidence booster.

I take back what I said about my ashes,

and might even start training to get it down even more.

calculating 'fitness age';.  NY Times has an article online now and printed sunday.  I'm not sure it's valid for most on this site as workout is +/- 30 minutes - I haven't seen 42 in eons . http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2013/10/31/how-old-is-your-health/

<center>

<input type="button" name="AddButton" value="Calculate" />

Your VO2MAX is calculated to be

<label>40</label>

and your estimated "fitness age" is

<label>61</label>

(disclaimer: this does not mean you can run as fast as you thought you could nine years ago)

</center>

will run for popsicles

dave ---- DANG!!!!!!! As a bad heart guy from way back, I would urge you to be super careful. Like you needed such sage advice. wow. scary.

Tet -- No, I'm not cool enough to be a maniac. I turned in my marathon card around 1986 and went to ultras. I had just moved to arizona and the first marathon I ran there was Whiskey Row. Up the mountain, down, up again, down again, on a fire road in the forest. I never went back, and az has amazing ultra stuff.  Then my heart kinda bugged about about 10 years ago, so we've reached an uneasy agreement of barely slogging along and maxing out races at about 25k. You just do what you can do, i suppose. I just love running too much to give up.

I guess I should remember what shoes I wore in my first marathon, but I'm clueless. I'm guessing the old Asics Racers (I remember it was white with gold stripes and I thought I was coolest runner on the planet.) That was '82, and by then I had figured out that Asics worked best for me. That's pretty much been the case ever since, though God knows I keep experimenting. My favorite shoe since its birth has been the Asics Piranha, which is just 4 1/2 ounces of nothing, so although I'm nowhere near your true minimalism, I can see your front yard if I stand up on my lawn chair.

SteveP

Yikes Divechief!! Take care of yourself

SteveP

dave ---- DANG!!!!!!! As a bad heart guy from way back, I would urge you to be super careful. Like you needed such sage advice. wow. scary.

Dave and Mo Boy, welcome to the RA Heart club.  This year I became a card-carrying member as well.  (Minor, benign in my case.)  Spareribs is our Leader Emeritus.

Bill

"Some are the strong, silent type. You can't put your finger on exactly what it is they bring to the table until you run without them and then you realize that their steadiness fills a hole that leaks energy in their absence." - Kristin Armstrong

Marathon Maniac #957

Dave - scary stuff!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."