Masters Running

Thursday's Daily, 2.4.16 (Read 36 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone!

Just another quick walk-by today.

On one hand, it was incredibly mild (low 50s) this morning, and it would have been nice to have a workout in shorts in Feb. On the other hand, the wind was howling last night (lots of people lost power) and we had a lot of small branches down on the roads this morning which wouldn't have been fun to have to navigate around in the dark. So my choice to sleep in this morning (I was very, very tired last night) was a pretty good choice. Tomorrow is another day...

Have a greta Thursday!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Slo

A balmy 11 degrees here in Eastern Iowa this morning. Kept it short and sweet but only because I got a late start.

3.7 miles

It's my Friday. I've maxed what I can carry for PTO so I need to use some up or I end up losing what I've earned. It'll be a nice 3 day weekend.

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

I think I ended up last year with about 44 hour of PTO left andtherefore lost 4 hours since we're only allowed to carry over 40.  My own fault as there was time that i could have taken off earlier.

The wipeout results of yesterday seems to be a bit more than scraped palms--my right knee seems to have something sprained.  Not where I actually landed, but on the inside.  Sort of wierd--it hurts while walking on the flat, but up and down stairs don't bother me at all.   So i thought a day off would be smart, even if I did miss short sleeve February running.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

Sayhey! MM#130

Good mornin' all,

heal up fast, Kevin....

crazy weather.....thank you for working the phones for the folks needing a place to stay, Mari...

Am getting over a mild claustrophobia....the bathroom doorknob broke this am, yikes!  Good thing it was before DH left for work, as it needed to be removed from the other side......it's a really small room, off the bedroom.....<pant,pant, silent scream>.....and he didn't hear me at first as he was upstairs......

Steve's grandchild is sick with something that landed her in the hosp.....

hang in there,

A--o just 6 this am.......

https://agratefullifedotnet.wordpress.com/  (for a piece or two of my mind)

RCG

Rose Colored Glasses

64F

Humid

8.5 miles; 1 hour, 22 minutes, 22 seconds

It started as a Tippi Hedren run. A massive flock of birds darkened the sky and their chatter and flapping wings was deafening.

They seemed to follow me down to the Chickahominy. In reality, I saw them 3 times during this miserable run. I couldn't shift to a higher gear and spent the run just slogging it out. How humid was it? I weighed myself before and after the run. I lost 3 pounds.

I ran by myself this morning.

Aamos, glad you escaped your own horror movie today.

MTA: But Stumpy, how are the tights?

"Anytime you see the word "inflation" in the news, replace it with "record-breaking corporate profits" and you'll get what's happening."

TammyinGP

good morning!

Debate went well last night. I didn't get to see or judge my son though, which was probably for the best or he likely would have won Smile   Competitors are divided up into 4 different rooms with 2 judges and a parliamentarian in each room. The format is "congress-style" with a Chair and various bills that are submitted for session and speeches in the affirmation and negation presented. Very interesting!

We are headed into the low 60's by the weekend and mid-60's going into next week.while it's nice to feel such warmth at this time of year, it's also not good to have this kind of warmth! It's february and we need our snow pack badly.

Tammy

While it's nice to feel such warmth at this time of year, it's also not good to have this kind of warmth! It's february and we need our snow pack badly.

Yes, us, too.

Jay - Hope your sleep was restful and energizing.

Aamos - Maybe it's time for a new doorknob . . .

Rosie - My mom would've had a heart attack over the birds!  She had a very unreasonable fear of them.  She worked at our high school, and one year there were a large number of swallows trying to nest under the eaves of the office building and the wood shop building, both of which she had pass by all the time.  She told the principal if they didn't do something about the birds, she would quit.  She was so well-liked (and so good at her job) that by the next day all the nests had been knocked down and netting was put up.  

Posie Lady - You are incredible.

SteveP's 18-mo granddaughter had a reaction to some medication for an ear infection.  She ended up with hives and in the ER.  She still struggling with the side effects of the meds.  Poor baby ~~

Stumpy -   Poor knee!  Take care of it.

We're allowed to accumulate as much CTE (I can't remember what that stands for) time as we want without losing it.  However, we can only accumulate 2 years worth of vacation.

30 min of stat biking this a.m. with 6 x 30 sec "sprints," followed by about 30 min of core/ST.

I think Wilson and I are even on the battle front as I got to deploy the squirt bottle at about 3:30 this morning.  This is going to be a long battle of wills because that cat has more perseverance than any cat I've ever owned, but I am determined to win!

Enjoy your Thoisday, friends ~~

Leslie
                Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

this is the more likely result of my having low ambition for a run.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

Marathon Maniac #957

I've maxed what I can carry for PTO so I need to use some up or I end up losing what I've earned. It'll be a nice 3 day weekend.

I am close to my max as well, which is 100 hours of PTO.  Once I get to that I have to use some or I lose it.  The trouble is, I always feel like I am barely keeping up with the workload, so even though I take off regularly for doctor, dentist or ortho appts for myself or DD, I end up working the weekend or evenings and make up my time.  (My DS says that the ability to log in to my desktop from home is both a blessing and a curse.)  I could choose to take off a day next week, but then I would feel pressured to work 8 hours extra hours this week (which I would not get paid for, since I am salary), and that just doesn't seem fair.  So, sometime soon, I will take some time off anyway, and stuff will just not get done.  So there.

9 miles for me today including four 5-minute slow-to-fast intervals.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Marathon Maniac #957

I think Wilson and I are even on the battle front as I got to deploy the squirt bottle at about 3:30 this morning.  

{{{Kevin's knee}}}

{{{SteveP's GD}}}

Amy - glad you were able to escape....

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Slo

I am close to my max as well, which is 100 hours of PTO.  Once I get to that I have to use some or I lose it.  The trouble is, I always feel like I am barely keeping up with the workload, so even though I take off regularly for doctor, dentist or ortho appts for myself or DD, I end up working the weekend or evenings and make up my time.  (My DS says that the ability to log in to my desktop from home is both a blessing and a curse.)  I could choose to take off a day next week, but then I would feel pressured to work 8 hours extra hours this week (which I would not get paid for, since I am salary), and that just doesn't seem fair.  So, sometime soon, I will take some time off anyway, and stuff will just not get done.  So there. 

Yep...this exactly.

evanflein

We'll see how well she sticks to that "stuff will just not get done" part. Sometimes we're our own worst enemies in that department. We can carry up to 240 hours of vacation leave, and it "rolls back" every year in the pay period that has January 31 in it. That's this pay period for this year, ends tomorrow (well, Saturday but that's not a work day). I think I've got it down to I'll lose a little over an hour, but I might leave early tomorrow to take care of that. I like to take Fridays off in the summer, and then travel for marathons and such so not much use for the time off now.

Stumpy, is that the result of low ambition or the cause? Take care of that knee. Sometimes the injury you get is not the one you'd expect from the tumble.

{{SteveP's GD}} Been sort of following along on FB, but I'm not out there very much. Hope she gets better soon.

A few years ago, I went running with Pro From Dover when we were staying at his place on our way to Manchester. About a mile or so in, the sky was just filled with a dark cloud of small birds, moving in unison and swooping around in the sky. I'd never seen anything like it, and stopped to just stare at those clouds of birds. He said they were starlings. I'd really never seen them before, but apparently they're common in some areas (obviously not Fairbanks).

Mariposai is dedicated and determined, but she also needs to delegate. Good job on finding shelter for those who needed it. Empower your staff to take the reins.

Today is a little warmer than yesterday, which really wasn't all that bad and this is all just really weird for us for this time of year. Usually we're happy to be at least -10° but these days we seem to almost always crawl up into the low teens even with pretty clear skies. I'll get out this afternoon for some easy miles. Still trying to figure out why yesterday's run felt so hard.

Dave59

Am getting over a mild claustrophobia....the bathroom doorknob broke this am, yikes!  Good thing it was before DH left for work, as it needed to be removed from the other side......it's a really small room, off the bedroom.....<pant,pant, silent scream>.....and he didn't hear me at first as he was upstairs......

There are people who close the bathroom door when they are inside?

I get pretty claustrophobic. When I don't get an aisle seat on a plane I have a very tough trip. I almost asked to get off once (before we started) but I toughed it out.  I sweat a lot, turn white, and feel pretty bad.

I ran 4.4 at lunch. 39° and overcast. Fewer people at the park today than yesterday when it was 60° and sunny at lunch.

So, sometime soon, I will take some time off anyway, and stuff will just not get done.  So there.

You can only do what you can do, and then that's all you can do.

Starling Murmuration (I never knew that's what it's called): I've had the privilege of seeing these before.  It's absolutely incredible.  A number of years ago Shorty and I were traveling around New Mexico, and at one of the hotels where we stopped, a starling mumuration was happening overhead.  They were flying around this one tall tree, a bird here or there landing in it, then suddenly within a matter of a couple of seconds, as if sucked down by some invisible force, they all landed in the tree in unison.  It was incredible.

Dave -  re the bathroom comment.

Leslie
                              Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                              -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

TammyinGP

for anyone interested, RW did an article about Todd also, that has even more information than the Trail Runner one.

http://www.runnersworld.com/general-interest/tragic-end-in-search-for-beloved-runner?cid=soc_Runner%27s%20World%20-%20RunnersWorld_FBPAGE_Runner%E2%80%99s%20World__News

Tammy