Masters Running

Friday's Daily, 7.28.17 (Read 31 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone.

Thursday’s workouts:
    RunnerKSA (2 streak miles after poor sleep and in poor weather)
    Jlynne (4.9 morning miles in muggy 65° weather, then 20 min of weights/core)
    Holly (5.7 miles in 74° with 93%H)
    Catwhoorg (5 lunchtime miles)
    Twocat (18 morning miles, started fine - turned into a slog because of H&H)
    Tomwhite (3X10 min post-surgery hip rehab hourly for 3 hours)
    Evanflein (5.2 miles in sunny low 70s, getting back just ahead of downpours)

Pfriese (100K bike ride)

Mike (7.3 miles, and that was enough)

Thanks for all your feedback about medals. It seems clear that they are more important to more people than not. And Twocat asked the right question - do they bring racers to the race? I don't know, but I suspect that they do, in some cases. The comments about huge medals made me laugh - we had a complaint after our half last year because our medals weren’t big enough! How do you respond to that? (I didn’t) The medals don’t add as much to the cost of a race as you may think (unless they are dinner plate size) - leaving them out wouldn’t enable us to reduce the entry fee by much at all. Interesting thoughts about the shirts. As BTY said, they build awareness for a race (and/or a cause), and they also provide a way to give something back to the sponsors via all those dang logos on the back of most race shirts. We try to make our shirts attractive/interesting so people will want to wear them around town and at other races. However, as BTY (again) pointed out with his tale of the 80 year old AG winner, no matter what you do, someone is going to be unhappy.

Jlynne, not being a parent, I can’t really step into your shoes. So you have to decide if you want to offer soft or hard love. Tough call either way, but in your heart, you'll know what's right.

Twocat, that's an impressive run in H&H.

I hope the hard rain left you alone, Evanflein.

You and your partner are doing some amazing riding, Pfriese. I hope you got ahead of or away from the nasty weather.

I almost didn't go out this morning because I was feeling tired. But then guilt snuck in so I got my lazy butt out of bed and went for 4.5 moderately-paced RW miles. It was 64° with a lot more humidity than I liked, but some days are like that.

As the lone announced racer this weekend, Milktruck is carrying a heavy load:

07/29 milktruck - Peaks Island 5 Mile, Peaks Island ME

Lastly, I like the guitar work in this version of a Tom Waits song by Diana Krall.

Have a greta Friday!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Thanks, Jay.  Great recap.

4 miles this morning to make up for yesterday's slacker day.   2 miles after work on the treadmill.

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

Tramps

Love Tom Waits, even covers.

Busy week so not much beyond some core work and lurking here for me. Today, though, TriBee and I got out for 20 on the bikes.

Have a great weekend.

Be safe. Be kind.

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

DW and I have spent the last three days out on the island camp, so while I have cell reception, I've been lurking due to the joys of typing on my phone. Now the end of vacation looms. Just about the time you start relaxing 

Welcome back , Jay. I have 3 of your medals and shirts. I love the shirts (long sleeve techs in neon) that are on hard rotation in spring and fall runs. Medals are hung with a bunch of other, but not really important. Sort of agree on not giving out medals for shorter than than half, but like someone said they may mean a lot to someone doing their first.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

catwhoorg

Labrat

Usual 5 at lunchtime. Cloud cover made it feel much less sucky than it has been.

5K  20:23  (Vdot 48.7)   9/9/17

10K  44:06  (Vdot 46.3)  3/11/17

HM 1:33:48 (Vdot 48.6) 11/11/17

FM 4:13:43 (Vdot 35.4) 3/4/18

BTY

Up too early this morning - 3:00 AM and never fell back to sleep so I got an early start.  Went to the gym a little earlier than usual and did my new low back stretching routine, then it was chest/shoulder/triceps day.  Then at lunch time I did my 5-miler - previously this was my bread and butter lunchtime workout, but now it is my long run.  Miles 4 and 5 definitely felt like long run.  Good news though is that I paced it almost perfectly - was shooting for 9:20's and went no slower than 9:23 and no faster than 9:15.  It helped that it is only in the high 60's at high noon.

On Sunday, I have a work party planned at the cemetery that my friend and I are reclaiming in Albany.  My great-great-great grandparents are two of the oldest folks in there, born in 1800 and 1805.  Established  in 1850, it's the oldest cemetery in the city limits, since the two main cemeteries (one of which is older) are both outside of town.   4 acres so not enormous but a challenge to keep up with the encroachment.  The only workers coming so far are two of my nephews (in their 30's) and two of my sons (in their 20's) but having 5 people working for a full morning will be fantastic!  

Have a greta weekend, all.

..very cool BTY//......when my dad passed away,

we discovered

the town cemetery had been used since the 1790's

kind of a Continuity there

==========

high 80s and rain here

4x10min=40 today

.........I assume I can Flaunt the Rain Rule since-

1-I just got this idea yesterday

and

b-I'm not running anyway

...........good Running to ya

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

Marathon Maniac #957

On Sunday, I have a work party planned at the cemetery

This gave me an interesting visual as I picture office workers in suits and ties standing around a cemetery with punch glasses in their hands.

17 miles for me today, very sluggish, but got it done.

Off to Estes Park, Co in the morning for our family vacation.  15yo DD sees a 7-day trip closeted with her family as torture, and feels that "Mountains are boring."  (She was hoping we would have another beach vacation this year.)  I am hoping that Rocky Mountain National Park will impress her, at least a little.....

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Interesting perspectives on shirts, medals, etc.

nice riding for 111-miles, paul,

what are the daily and overall totals?

How come you didn't do the whole thing? (I think)

add another mile and you can go IM'ing with catworthy,

'back up to the eighties today as yesterday's light mist failed to register the 0.01" needed to be the measurable precipitation necessary to interrupt the rainless spell that's been going on since June 17 (44 days). Nothing but the sun now being predicted for at least another week will break the record of 51 days set in 1951.  I think I could get used to this, after all.

ps BTY - we did the same thing some years ago

but they only go back to the 1880's/90's up there.

Nice to have such a long family history, . . . I think.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

evanflein

Holly, I expect she'll whine and pout and be a general pain in the a$$, but later will look back on it as a really great trip. Good luck. Nice run, btw.

tomwhite, are you walking in those minutes? Not sure what you're doing, but apparently not running.

BTY, I'd love to get a gift certificate rather than a useless medal! I hear about things like Carolyn winning shoes, and others winning gift certificates to stores or restaurants, and I sure wish our races could do something like that. As you say, costs the race less (donated prizes), and the local businesses get a customer in the door, and the winner gets a treat. Seems like a win-win all around!

Good thoughts on the parenting issues, Mike E. Nothing like real life coming up to smack you in the butt and make you re-think your prior convictions.

I'm only like 6 miles from 200 for July, and feeling a little tired. I do want to get out for a run though because, as has become typical, today is a really nice day out there and the weekend days don't look so good. So, I'll probably take off soon and do a short easy run just to say I did it.

...erika//..sadly, yep,,,,,,but I was having trouble Walking last week,

so

it's an improvement

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

Marathon Maniac #957

Meant to add:

Jlynne - what Mike said, and he said it very well.  My 2 kids are as different as night and day, and before DD I would have said a lot of things about hard parenting, but now that I have a really tough child to know how to parent, I am less opinionated.

BTY - gift cards to restaurants - I would LOVE that as an award!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Mike E

MM #5615

Hello everybody!

I went 6 miles after work then Debbie and I went out for supper.

I am all for awards for placements.  I once took first place, overall, in a race where the age group winners received plaques and I received a $75 gift certificate to a fancy restaurant.  I was disappointed but Debbie was thrilled.  And it cost me another $75 at the restaurant.

Okay--gotta go.  See ya!

RCG

Rose Colored Glasses

Tetsujin does not exaggerate.  Juneau is fantastic.

I wish I could post photos but I can't bring myself to go through the gyrations here. However. If you have any desire to see some photos of our trip thus far, please check my instagram account. You don't have to 'follow' me to see my posts. @blbuehrle

More later... as the story develops.

Be well.

"Anytime you see the word "inflation" in the news, replace it with "record-breaking corporate profits" and you'll get what's happening."

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Excellent, rosie

Have fun, especially at the salmon BBQ afterwards.

However, I wouldn't mind a bit if someone can get some of those instagram pics posted over here too. Thanks.

just found out another advantage of being at this stage of life: got priority, early boarding on the midnight red eye Greyhound over to Idaho for a weekend with DS, DD, GS and GD.  Nothin' else could keep me away from bein' up there with Rosie and RS.  Speaking of rs's, . . .

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)