Masters Running

Thu Oct 16 Runs and Workouts (Read 725 times)

Some things aren't meant to be seen...that's why I run early in the morning
    Looking for a place to Happen, making stops along the way - The Hip
    Mariposai

Thanks Lou - yes this is my First!! Butterflies are fluttering in my tummy .....
      No Mary, you have it all wrong. Butterflies will be fluttering on your back as they push you to the finish line. Wink You will do great. Just remember to start out slow regardless of how good you feel or how easy the pace feels. Believe me you will need your strength by mile 22. Good luck sistahh. I am so proud of you. Holly, you trouble maker Evil grin Well...since I am probably the last person who have seen Gordon in his fashionable running clothes I can attest that he looks mighty fine Smile 5 crappy miles for me this morning. The legs did not want to move at all. They felt heavy. Rest day tomorrow again.

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

Tramps

Just make sure it feels easy early on, because it likely won't feel easy eventually.
        Ha! There’s the understatement of the year! Tongue Tim—lightning and tornado sirens? Wow, that’ll put a spring in your step. Hang in there, you’re heading for an awesome first marathon. Every since Stevie Ray’s “big boned” comment yesterday, I’ve had South Park voices in my head. That show is either the funniest TV out there, or it’s “exhibit A” in the case for the end of Western civilization; it depends upon the episode. Quite a few different marathons this weekend: Mary in Detroit: Go! Go! Go! Mtnchk in Denver: Go! Go! Go! CNYrunner in Lowell: Go! Go! Go! TomD in Des Moines: Go! Go! Go! Good luck to all the runner at all the distances this weekend! Holly—I’m thinking of moving out to Ohio. I hear even the plumbers there make more than a quarter million dollars a year. Sweet. I just heard the promo for this weekend’s edition of “This American Life” on NPR. Apparently they’re doing a profile of a guy who often goes around in daily life dressed like Superman. Hmmm…doesn’t remind you of anyone does it? Seems like I’m continuing the tough run theme for the day. 10 miles with 9 of them at MP-ish pace (8:11). Warm and humid weather felt summer-like; it was already 70F by the time I finished. I didn’t bring water, which was a mistake. I felt like I was running in quicksand going up hills. Today was the first day I really thought, “I’ll be glad when this training cycle is over.” But, on the bright side, cooler temps are forecast for the weekend. Woo hoo! Have a good one.

Be safe. Be kind.

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

That's me at left in my marathon, April 2007.
          . . . . nice form

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

nice form
            Tet, I believe in racing the way I train. Dark Horse
            I'm a dark horse, running on a dark race course.
              I don't go through pre-race jitters, and I didn't have any jitters before my first marathon.
              Maybe I should have said "most" of us...I dunno...heck I've run 14 of the freaking things and I still get pre-race jitters! Just before the Maine Marathon as I was deciding what to wear for a shirt (long sleeve or short etc.) I remember feeling ...well just off if you will...and making the comment to my wife that I wouldn't be able to blame the weather if I didn't do so well because we had an aboslutely perfect day. Anyways things worked out fine, my training pulled me through and I had my best marathon to date. Big grin Besides DH you truly are a dark horse running on a dark course! Wink
                Enke--4 miles for the DS! I bet it was fun to show him that. Gordon, I would too see your butt Evil grin (that'll make some folks go read yesterday's daily). Tramps--exactly what you said about South Park. We have so many sayings at our house that crack us up from there, e.g. "I do what I want!" "Too much pressure!" and "Old people driving!" "Wanna get high?" and just things, e.g., cheesy-poofs and underpants gnomes and o never mind. I had my unzesty run yesterday so it's a gym day for me. Hope to get it going on by Friday. grins, A
                Masters 2000 miles

#artbydmcbride

You are going through the same pre-race jitters that we all go through (except Dark Horse of course) especially before your first marathon. Don't worry too much, you've put in the work now let it work for you.
                  fixed Good luck Tim! Smile

Runners run

Top 'O the World!

Aaahhh, but the real South Park is here 3.63 moseying miles w/Mairead....under purrfekt Colorado blue skies Wink
                      Remember that doing anything well is going to take longer than you think!! ~ Masters Group

Marathon Maniac #3309

fixed Good luck Tim! Smile
                        Hum, wonder if that will help Shocked

Running has given me the courage to start, the determination to keep trying, and the childlike spirit to have fun along the way - Run often and run long, but never outrun your Joy of running!

evanflein

Just went back and read a little bit of this week's earlier posts. You guys are all nuts, you know that? Don't ever change. Smile Feeling much better today. Thanks, Mariposai. I might need to call you this weekend... Will try a short run after work to see how things are going. RE: shoes... I get around 500 miles out of mine. I might push it a little bit sometimes if it's mostly inside/treadmill running. I do find the Equinox training and race wears them out sooner (i.e., rips in the sides, etc) and they're really dirty. Hoping to make it thru NYC in the current pair. My issue... I can't find anymore of the Nimbus 9's in my size. Holabird Sports is out of them. Anyone got any other ideas for odd sizes in old shoe models?? Gordon, I don't think your butt is fat.
                            slow mo splatter fest.
                            Just wanted to nominate this for Phrase of the Day.
                              We need to assemble a panel of judges to determine the so called "fatness" of Gordon's butt. I will chair the committee...anyone else want to volunteer?? Whoops....this sounds like reverse sexual harassement.....I take that all back! I did 6 miles...nice and easy, 10:44 pace. I was thinking about running a 4 mile tempo segment, up and down my 1 mile stretch of pitch black, pitch straight asphalt sidewalk...but when I got there I just keep on going and took the scenic route. A much more enjoyable run. Then I got back to the gym and was told that paramedics were in the change room, because a woman had fainted. I was wondering why they had staff positioned outside and inside the changeroom to repeatedly tell us this.....guess they want their space to work.....it didn't click until I passed the 5 burly firemen hanging out in the shower/sauna/hottub area. Oh, duh....perhaps walking around with a towel barely covering my @$$ would not be advisable today? Yet some women were still doing that.....hmmmm. Those firemen were enjoying this "call" I could tell.

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

Tramps

Then I got back to the gym and was told that paramedics were in the change room, because a woman had fainted. I was wondering why they had staff positioned outside and inside the changeroom to repeatedly tell us this.....guess they want their space to work.....it didn't click until I passed the 5 burly firemen hanging out in the shower/sauna/hottub area. Oh, duh....perhaps walking around with a towel barely covering my @$$ would not be advisable today? Yet some women were still doing that.....hmmmm. Those firemen were enjoying this "call" I could tell.
                                Now I can't decide between becoming a plumber in Ohio or a fireman in Alaska. Decisions, decisions.

Be safe. Be kind.