Masters Running

FRIDAY! Sept. 18 Runs, Rest and Recovery (Read 369 times)

Mariposai

Good luck to Holly and Erika on their races. Holly, what is your goal for the HM tomorrow?

zillions of butterfly hugs to twocat...

happy resting day to hopeful4ever...resting is good Smile

pbj...do you have a good recipe for applefritters?

3 easy miles this morning. I am still being very careful with my post hike recovery runs. The legs are still feeling like lead and the heels are still tender from all the steep terrain hiking I did.

dg, follow the heart Smile

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

evanflein

Deb, shins feel good, but I didn't run yesterday and will just do so lightly today if at all, so hopefully it was just soreness from the hills last weekend. Foot is pretty good... it sure likes that pool running. I noticed my met pad had slipped in my shoe, so tonight I'll carefully readjust that and get it stuck in there well (I tape it in place under my insole... took me forever to figure out that trick to avoid blisters from it!!).

Good job on the recovery Mariposai. I just found out my friend (goes by Wilson on KR, used to go by Nordic Beserker on CR) is also doing the NYC marathon. I can't wait to hear how he does at that, so smokin' fast!

Marathon Maniac #957

Holly, what is your goal for the HM tomorrow?

Why, to win, of course!    

1:50-ish would be very kewl.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Marathon Maniac #957

Is it worth thinking about switching around the 20 miler to a different weekend? 

No.  Absolutely not.  Debbie, you continue to try to find ways to put races and speedwork into your training (I know you have your reasons), but I really, really (really) think, this time out, given your not-totally-healed situation, that you should concentrate on slow and easy, base-pace miles.  Leave your 20-miler next weekend, which is the ideal place it should be in almost every plan you will find.   Your first marathon is not the time to be experimenting with the moving around the last big LR.

Erika - Good Luck!!!

Sue - are you using directions from me from before or after the format change here?

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Teresadfp

One day at a time

You people are all so fast!  Wow.

My running partner and I went to Pineland Farms, a beautiful place run by a philanthropic organization.  Besides a beautiful campus of office buildings that looks like a college, they maintain a pretty big area of XC ski/run trails.  They go around meadows, past barns, and through the woods.  They are VERY hilly!  We managed to get turned around and totally lost.  The sign that read, "VISITOR'S CENTER ------->" seemed to be wrong, because it took us around a loop!  We tried it twice and got the same results.  So we ended up running 4.2 miles, and probably walking another couple beyond that.  Lots of fun, and we enjoyed eating omelettes at Stone's Cafe afterwards.  Off to another HS XC meet now!

DS heard from the distance running coach at Texas that they will bring him onboard if "Texas is still his desire."  Oh, my goodness.  Exciting, but scary.  He would be out of his league at first, but he's considering it.  He likes to be pushed by faster runners, so he would get plenty of opportunity there!  We have a lot of talking to do.  We've looked at quite a few schools we really like.  What a hard decision!  My parents, second-generation Longhorns themselves, don't understand why we're not saying, "Yes!!!" automatically.  Sigh.

Good Luck to all those racing this weekend----look at the intrepid thread and there's quite a list! Special get well shout out to Amie---hang in there.  Remember all--- run with your head and when the math doesn't compute or the Garmin flips out----run with your heart.

Twocat---Oh no! I held my breath when I saw the post about running again and am bummed for you---really and truly. It's easy to support someone who is so supportive of others.

dg---I am with Holly. Time on your feet will make more of a difference at this point. 

I just finished up a monster of a report and will close up shop for the day soon. It's hectic and crazy at work, but it's all good (except for limited on-line time).

Ran an easy 6 miles this morning and all felt good. No taper madness quite yet.

Renee the dog

So this weekend is supposed to be a 1/2 marathon, or a time trial.  I know in my case the time trial aspect doesn't really matter, but I'd really really like more racing experience.  even if just for drinking on the run.  There are no 1/2's around here that I can run this weekend... just one that is reputed to be a killer. not what I need.  There are a couple of 10k's, not sure how much good that would do, and not in areas where i think it would be easy to stretch out the run to 15 miles.      There is a great 1/2 next weekend.      but that's the scheduled 20 miler.   I think that's the most important part, & I get the impression that the timing for that is important.   I'm  sort of functioning close to the edge here. (not a lot of fluff as far as extra conditioning or anything)   want to make the right call.  Is it worth thinking about switching around the 20 miler to a different weekend? 

I know that was long... I'm sorry.   thanks for any ideas you have... and don't feel you have to mess with it..   

dg, I'm a couple weeks behind you on the plan -- and I'm supposed to do a 10K...so I'm doing the Philadelphia Distance Run (1/2 M) instead!  Can you just go do my 10K and we'll call it even?

GOALS 2012: UNDECIDED

GOALS 2011: LIVE!!!

Best wishes and godspeed to all the racers this weekend--will be looking forward to reports, so be taking good mental notes along the way y'all.

Good news, Teresa--a nice dilemma to have, for sure.

Twocat, not fair, that's just so not fair.  And frustrating.  And crazy-making.  I was wondering--can you ski on it?

Here's an interchange from yesterday at morning court.  THis is where folks make their initial appearances and fill out apps for PDs.  The form asks for financial info to determine eligibilty.  Our legal assistant has a desk in the court where she accepts the apps, notarizes them, and answers general questions.  Here's her report:

Client hands LD the application for a PD.

He has several drug/distrib. charges.

LD: I see that you are self-employed.

Client: Yes, that's right.

LD: But you make no money at it?

Client: Well yeah, they arrested me for it. 

Have great weekends, all.

grins,

A

ps: D.'s getting an award from our local Heart Assoc. at the Annual Walk/Run for "Lifestyle Change."  Shhh...it's a surprise.  Thank you all for all the support you've given him.  It really helped him turn things around for himself, so you share in this with him.

Masters 2000 miles

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

happy weekend running/racing to sara and all the Intrepids

aamos - when's DH's surprise.  Are you both running.  When will he know?

A gang of robbers broke into a lawyer’s club by mistake. The old legal lions gave them a fight for their life and their money. The gang was very happy to escape. “It ain’t so bad,” one crook noted. “We got $25 between us.” The boss screamed: “I warned you to stay clear of lawyers… we had $100 when we broke in!”    

erika -

say hello to the wild ones, if you see any.

Go to fullsize image . Go to fullsize image . Equinox Marathon Trail - 34 by iconolith

say hello to the hills, if you see any 

Go to fullsize image . Equinox Marathon Trail - 103 by iconolith . Go to fullsize image . Go to fullsize image .  

and, if you see Marcie's marker this time,

give her a hi-5 and tell her I'll be back sometime

Equinox Marathon Trail - 86 by iconolith.

Be warned... when you see Marcie Trent's memorial mile marker

the race is about to get much tougher. It has some of the steepest

climbs on the trail making anyone who attempts to go further

in the new Equinox-Ultra truly a super-elite.

welcome back butterfly

<center>Autumn Leaf Run Logo</center><center>http://www.autumnleafrun.com/</center>

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

evanflein

Nice pictures, Tet, and yes I always give a ^5 to Marcie's sign as I head on up. I slap the sign at the turnaround, I hear a lot of runners do that. I also found the part of the trail that has those posts on it... it's up by the Musk Ox Farm (now called the Large Animal Research Station, but they still have musk ox there so that's what I still call it).

Today I went to the gym and ran 2.5 miles in a progressive pace style, starting at 9:05 m/m, ending with .2 mile @ 7:30 pace. Then some light stretching and planks and such. Then off to the bagel shop! Got a nice baker's dozen of assorted types, including a cranberry/orange bagel to munch as I drove back up to campus and went to a couple of places I thought might have the last bits of the ultra course... YES! I found it! And it's on a trail I've run several times so that's good. I wasn't sure where they'd run it back around campus so now I know. Part of it gets a little swampy in spots, so that won't be so nice at the end of a long day, but oh well. There are a couple of hills they could've used, and it seems they've gone around them (yay). So, now at least I won't get lost at the end! (still haven't found where it turns off from the main trail, but it looks pretty well marked so should be ok)

Hey CNY! Happy tapers to you. I'm glad to be nearing the very end of mine!

Maniac 505

Tet:

weather is looking good for the salmon spawning cycle.  at this point I plan on the full ride with the perkins land extension.

let me know what you want.  the last E-mail I got from you was to my drizzle.com address.  that is a dead e-mail address,  if you want to E-mail me,  use any of my divechief.com addresses.

wildchild

Carolyn

Nice pictures, Tet! You're slipping, though - you failed to warn Erika about doing the ultra!  Have you just accepted the fact that nothing you can say will change her mind?

Good luck,  Erika!  I hope you still think it was a good idea after the race!

Holly and Amie, fleet feet at the Air Force race.

I went for a hilly 6.4 mile trail run after work.  I practiced running the hills slow and steady, and only took a couple of walk breaks.  Tomorrow will either be a rest day or just a couple miles with the dogs, in preparation for Sunday's trail half marathon. 

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Nice pictures, Tet! You're slipping, though - you failed to warn Erika about doing the ultra! 

Have you just accepted the fact that nothing you can say will change her mind?   

yeah, wildie, I think they think it's normal up there. In fact, so many signed up for the Ultra option,

they had to cut off entries at 50, one of the few Alaska events to have to do so. 

When erika runs one of the "tough" ultras down here, she'll realize the extent of her accomplishment.

however, you be careful too.

annie - are you okay? why don't you trade with holly?

DIve - it may take a bike to do it but I'm thinking a timely start at 8:00 am will give me a chance of doing

at least the same 31 mile distance this weekend of erika's ultra up on the northern trails.

Maybe lettin' you be on on your own on the West Seattle climb up from Alki Beach instead of you havin' to wait for me

at the top of Delridge'll keep you from losing contact with all bicycling beauties who seem to flock

around you and your sublte green Bianca. <<<(knee/knee)>>>>    

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

wildchild

Carolyn

When erika runs one of the "tough" ultras down here, she'll realize the extent of her accomplishment.

however, you be careful too.

I dunno, Tet, there are some pretty tough ultras other than the Equinox that would even give Erika a run for her money!  How about the Leadville trail 100?  100 miles in the Colorado Rockies, lowest point is 9,200 ft. and the highest point is Hope Pass, 12,600 ft.. I looked up the results for 2008 and 186 people finished under the cutoff time of 30 hours.  Another 257 people didn't make the cutoff and DNF'd.  

And don't worry about me,  I'll be careful, too.  My race only has 2500 ft of climbing and the high point is only 9500 ft. 

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

Teresadfp

One day at a time

Wow, the use of the word "only" seems inappropriate when describing those elevations!