Masters Running

Let's talk about sports watches, shall we? (Read 38 times)

Mariposai

I am just curious to see what each one of us are using to keep track of our runs.

Here are the questions I am pondering about:

What brand  and style of sports watch are you currently using for your runs, if any?

What do you like about it? Your favorite setting on your current device?

What is it that you don't like about your current device?

What type of device do you wish you had?

I am looking forward to reading your answers!

Mariposai

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

Mike E

MM #5615

I have a Timex IronMan w/50 lap memory.  This is my main watch.  I wear it all the time and, when this one dies, I'll get another one...although, the size I like is getting harder to find.  I've had one of these watches for about 30 years.

My other current watch and GPS device is a Garmin Forerunner 15.  The main thing I like about it is how light it is.  This is the lightest GPS watch I've had--I think I've only had 2 others--but it is light.  I use it to tell me how far and at what pace I'm going.  For that, it is great.  My complaints about it are, probably, things that I could fix if I knew how.  As far as I can tell, it is only able to display 2 functions at a time.  I have chosen the distance and the pace.  This means that I cannot see my overall time unless I push another thing on the side...then push it a couple more times to get back to my distance and pace.  Sometimes, I'll wear my other watch just so I can see my overall time.

The other thing I don't like is, I cannot figure out how to start a new lap.  So, when I do a tempo run and I want to do a 1.5 mile warm up, I cannot start monitoring my pace until I'm half way through my 1st tempo mile.  Or--even worse--when I do a strength workout where I run 1/2 mile then recover for 1/4 mile then run 1/2 mile and recover 1/4 mile, and so on...I cannot tell how fast I'm going on each 1/2 mile run.  So, I use my Timex to record the time of each run and my Garmin to watch for the distance.  Again--I'm sure there is a way to do this--but, as you well know--I ain't that smart.

I wish I had an inexpensive, light weight, size appropriate for a small wrist watch/GPS device that would never run out of power, would give me the current time--pace--distance--overall time--and lap time.  Is that too much to ask for?

Tramps

This guy does very thorough reviews that are worth looking at.

There are also lots of threads about this sort of thing in the Gear forum here.

I sort of inherited a Garmin Forerunner 220 without heart rate monitor.

Satellites load instantaneously (don't know if this is still an issue with some watches). Accurate and reliable.  Good battery life for what I do.

I only use basic functions (pace, distance, avg pace) and it works fine.  Once in a blue moon, I'll set up an interval workout to follow.  Nice to have but I don't use it much.

The only negative issue I have is with the cradle which can be finicky for no apparent reason. On those occasions, you have to make sure everything is wiped off well (I sweat a lot), jiggle it to make a connection, and hope for the best. 98% of the time, it's fine.  2% of the time it requires that little finessing, which can be annoying.  I've always had similar issues with Garmins, regardless of how the cradle/connection worked.

I don't really care about watches, so I don't have a "wish" item.  Just something that's reliable and works without hassle.

BTW, it really pays to keep an eye out on price.  At least with Garmins, there can be pretty major swings in price and if you're patient, you can get very good deals, way below list price.  Also, someone recently mentioned (Twocat?) that new models are about to come out, which usually means older models get dumped at a discount.  Good deals there, too.

Be safe. Be kind.

Yep, it was probably me that mentioned that Garmin is set to release new models in 5 to 8 weeks. Or so they have been saying for about 6 to 9 weeks now. No, I am not kidding.

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

catwhoorg

Labrat

I just "upgraded" from An old Garmin 305 that could no longer hold a charge to a Polar M400.

Its more of an activity tracker in intent, but it has a decent GPS.

Also at free as it was a gift from work (15 year old anniversary), can't argue with the price.

It isn't immediately compatible with RA, but I can export .TCX files for that.

5K  20:23  (Vdot 48.7)   9/9/17

10K  44:06  (Vdot 46.3)  3/11/17

HM 1:33:48 (Vdot 48.6) 11/11/17

FM 4:13:43 (Vdot 35.4) 3/4/18

spinach

I have a Tom Tom Runner that I  really like. It is not that great a watch but it is pretty accurate and themap when the data is put on te computer is real accurate. But what i like about my watch if the size of the numbers. I can easily read the numbers from a very quick glance wothout having my eyeglasses on. I love it.  Actually this has become my everyday watch because of the size of the numbers. my eyes are old and they need as much help as possible and this watch gives me all the help I need. And the watch is quite inexpensive. I think i paid somewhere around $60 or $70 for it last May at Left Lane.

Love my Garmin 235 with wrist based hr monitoring (so no strap).   No negatives at all. Grabs on to GPS in seconds.

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

coastwalker

I have the same Garmin 220 as Tramps, but without the problems with the cradle. I also just use mine for simple functions (distance, time, pace). I have it set to buzz and give me my mile pace at the end of each mile, which I like. I like that it is lightweight and has a relatively big readout. I've had it for about 2.5 years, and have no complaints, and I'm not lusting after any other similar device. I also agree with Tramps that DCRainmaker writes some very good, comprehensive reviews.

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

HermosaBoy

Love my Garmin 235 with wrist based hr monitoring (so no strap).   No negatives at all. Grabs on to GPS in seconds.

This...

And you can quote me as saying I was mis-quoted. Groucho Marx

Rob

I have the Garmin 920XT for the multisport features - it is way more $$ than I would ever spend, but I bought it during a Black Friday sale that our bike shop sponsor was able to honor. It was great to get the sale price and still buy it at their shop. Its a little techy for me, but I have figured out the basics and I like the activity tracker feature for day to day use. I do wish it had a wrist HR pick up on it because I would like to do more training based on HR, but I have it paired to an older Garmin chest strap that I already had.

denise

spacityrunner

Butterfly lady.  I have a Garmin 220.  It needs a new battery.  Garmin will replace it for $89.  I will send the watch to you (you'll have to get the battery replaced) just give me your address.  You can message me your address here, or pm me on FB.  Other than battery life there were no issues with it.  I loved this watch.  But got myself a 235 instead of replacing the battery.

Trails Rock!

Dave59

I have a Garmin 910XT which is more than I need but I like the display and battery life.

Thanks to this thread I am wanting a Garmin 235. 

spacityrunner

Just to be helpful. I love my 235 

I have a Garmin 910XT which is more than I need but I like the display and battery life.

Thanks to this thread I am wanting a Garmin 235. 

Trails Rock!

I have a Garmin 310XT that's a good work horse.  I like that it does a good job of tracking in the trees, has a good HR monitor, and long battery life.  It has a bunch of other stuff that I don't know how to use, as well.

I also purchased a Polar FT7 specifically for HR purposes when I lost my HR strap to the Garmin (I ended up finding the strap).  I only used it a couple of times and it seemed to do a good job re HR monitoring, but I don't like the fact you can't year the dang HR alarm.  Paid $70 for it and would love to sell it someone who doesn't care about being able to hear the alarm.

Leslie
                              Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                              -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Dave59

Just to be helpful. I love my 235 

I just turned to the guy in the cube next to mine and said I want a Garmin 235.  And that all my friends have one.  He gave me a funny look.  Maybe he thought I was asking him to buy me one.