Masters Running

Thursday's Daily, 12.14.17 (Read 40 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone.

I've got just a little time this morning, so this'll be quick.

Wednesday's workouts:

Jlynne (4.1 morning miles in 16° temps and snow)

Stumpy (post-power glitch early morning 1.3 miles)

C-R (5+ TM miles with intervals at 5K pacer)

RunnerKSA (3.2 chilly morning miles + 2 post-work TM miles)

Tomwhite (40 min HH + 20 min X-bike)

Tet (early 3 mile neighborhood trek, including up/down 400 stairs)

Mike (10 miles, including 8 at tempo, with windage)

Wildchild (5.5 afternoon miles 'round the neighborhood dirt roads)

Mariposai (13 miles on return from family visit to Paraguay)

Deeze (1.2 cold hospital-to-garage miles)

Falconfixer (8 chilly morning miles, with some <8:00)

Evanflein (5.6 miles on slick roads in 37° warm temps)

Deeze, I'm also very sorry to read the latest on Justin, but am glad he is at a treatment center where they are watching and working with him as best they can. I hope their work yields positive results, but it looks like it may take some time.

We had our Seacoast Half Marathon wrap-up dinner last night, and it was a very productive meeting. One of the new people from this year's beneficiary was surprised that we all pay for our own dinners at the wrap-up rather than having the beneficiary pick up the tab, but that is what we do, and we prefer it that way.

7.5 RW miles at J o'clock this morning in breezy 19° temps. I didn't like some of what I saw on the videos of last Saturday's half, so I worked on my form this morning; opening up my stride, getting some more hip rotation, and adding a little more spring to my push-off at the end of my stride. I also had progressive splits this morning, starting at 11:43, and finishing at 10:53.

Have a greta Thursday!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

I'm feeling the stress of the season.  Ridiculous amounts of food (gifts from law firms, etc) at work.  I can't keep my hands out of it.  I got a cookie/candy tray that is 2 feet long and about a foot wide.  My daughter's divorce is final, which is good but still sad.  New life for her. My son is presenting plans to drive from Phila to Arizona and spending the month of January there and working remotely.  He wants to get back in shape after his 6 weeks off with stress fracture.  What could go wrong?  Just about everything, in my opinion.

Too tired this morning to deal with the planned outside run, so got in 2.1 miles on the treadmill and now off to work.   3 more treadmill miles after work, so 5.1 for the day.  Gotta stay ahead of the bunny!

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

Tramps

My cut off for running for many years was -20°F but recently I'm finding anything colder than -10°F just isn't much fun.

I'll just leave that there for us to consider.

(((Deez)))

My non-work task today is to figure out what the heck I'm going to do about health insurance.  I lost mine when TriBee retired (she gets to keep hers). Marketplace options here are abysmal (deadline tomorrow), COBRA is incredibly expensive.  I'm beginning to think my best option is going to be bubble wrap. 

4.5 mile run.

Be safe. Be kind.

[[[deez]]]...........I am so sorry for All of you,

your post gave me FlashBacks of when I logged all those ''GarageMiles''

....ps........don't do that.......

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

{{{deez}}} and {{{Justin}}} and {{{your whole family}}}  Sounds like everything possible is happening and hoping for a positive outcome.

I feel no stress--that's DW's job.   She's so good at it.  We're heading to LA for christmas with DD and SIL2B (thanks, ERika) a week from today.  And to add to the fun, the electricians working on my project in CT have been so efficient, that they will need an extra two days to finish even part of what they committed to before we get kicked off the site until january.  So I get to spend Monday and Tuesday next week shepherding them around.  So we have to accumulate and wrap all the gifts and stocking stuffers, get them packed, and provision DS for a week's worth of food.  Joy, joy.

Managed a complete lake loop this morning in a brisk 23°F.  Not sure of the pace as Garmin gave me low battery early on and then died.  not bad feeling, though.  Now that we're finally getting cold weather and I'm acclimating a bit, i have a week in warm to deal with.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

Good morning folks. Thank you Jay for recapping everyone's posts. Hope there's a special treat from Santa in your stocking this year.

Deez - I'm so very sorry to hear that Justin is struggling right now. I hope you take some comfort in the fact that he's in a safe place with trained staff to help him. You're in my prayers today.

Hang in there RunnerKSA.  Kids.....

Yeah, -20°. 'Nuf said about that.

Good luck with the insurance thing Tramps. After DH retired, he was covered by his employer until he reached the age for Medicare. He's 7 years older than me, and so for several years we had to pay for a single coverage plan for me since I wasn't working full time any more. It was okay the first year, around $350 a month. Then, the Affordable Health Care Act came around. My insurance company dropped the policy I had, then offered a new one with less coverage and a much higher price. For over 2 years we paid $870 a month for a $5,000 deductible with no dental and a $30 co-pay every time I walked into a doctor's office. I feel blessed that we were able to afford this, and wonder how folks who don't have the money ever get decent insurance.

We got almost 8 inches of snow yesterday, and it took most of the day before the municipal plows got out. It was 4° this morning so I went to the Y for my daily treadmill fight. After my 30 minute time restriction was up, I hopped on the elliptical for an hour and did some weights.

This snowstorm looks like it's headed East. Good luck everyone!

Quickadder

Very pleasant early morning (5am) run with DD. Too cloudy for any meteor sightings (any of the RW refugees heard from NB4?) but still cool enough to warrant a long-sleeve shirt (mid 40s). Added extra loops at a faster pace at each of the turning circles, so I'll call it a fartlek. Finished up with 7.8 miles at average 10:14 pace.

Started running at age 60.

AG 60-64 PR - 5K 25:45, 10K 53:28, HM 1:57:39, Marathon 4:32:09

AG 65-69 PR - 5K 26:11, HM 2:02:39, Marathon 5:04:47

mrrun

we're on the train to Brooklyn looking out into snow.  Is Twocat running in this snow or the smog of China?

((deez))

marj

Deez - Hang in there ~~

Welcome back, Posie Lady!  I'm so happy you were finally able to run a race in your home country. 

Tramps - You beat me on the Erika quote.

Insurance - The Hub and I are going today to sign him up.  As Tramps said, options S-U-C-K.  Right now, it'd be less expensive for us to pay the penalty every year, but with his line of work, he has to have insurance.  He's told me too many time how he almost cut a finger off or cut into his leg, etc., with the hedge trimmer.  Looks like he'll be paying around $800 a month with a $6,300 deductible (medical), $500 deductible (drugs), and a cost of $75 per visit to his primary.  Thankfully, he's basically healthy and flat refuses to go to the doc unless he's on death's door.

I am so blessed to have insurance through my work.  And because they're constantly trying to get insurance at a lower cost to them (understandable), if you meet your deductible and show proof, they'll reimburse you half of it at the end of the year.  I just got a $750 check since I met mine this last round.  . . . . and it's going right out the door to put tires on my car!

Nothing in new on this front, except my brain has had me awake since 2:00 a.m. worrying about my foot . . . and then I remembered my friend who just went through a major life and death health scare, and Deez and her family, and Tom and his hip replacements. . . and things aren't so bad.  Perspective, my friends.  It's important to keep perspective.

Enjoy ~~

Leslie
                    Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                    -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Marathon Maniac #957

Howdy folks!

I did read but have no time to comment, other than {{{Deez}}} and Leslie I hope it is not a SF.

DD gets her first-ever paycheck today!  So far, so good...

4.5 miles for me on the TM today.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Tramps

Howdie friends, after two weeks visiting my family in Paraguay I am finally back to the states and able to post here.

I had a great trip. I spent a lot of time building memories with my family and even running my first official race in my country. It was the 5k of my dreams. I took second place in ages 41 and up Smile. The running highlight of my trip was to be able to run with a few of the runners of the "Quiindy Running Club". It is hard to imagine that my town has it's own running club now  (long story short,but it was forbidden for girls to run in my town when I was a teenager, in the 80s).

In my haste, I skipped right by this yesterday.  Welcome back!  That's great about your hometown running club.

Be safe. Be kind.

TammyinGP

re: insurance. I love the ACA and I hate the ACA.  Since my husband has been the stay at home dad he has not had employer based coverage. I do but to add him is around $700/month. not do-able for us.  Years ago, he had a decent policy for about $250/month. then rates started going up drastically. Had to drop it as it just became unaffordable on a single-income family. Along came ACA which helped because w/o out, he could not get back on insurance due to have a history of skin cancer (which was removed and never spread, but still). He's had coverage now for a couple yrs but now in 2018, all but one plan dropped out of our county and the rates are again, simply unaffordable. doubled from what we were paying for his single policy (which has such a crazy high deductible, it's not like we really get any benefit from it as it is). So, once again, he will have to forego insurance for a little over a year until he's eligible for medicare. He's very healthy, no meds, so I know we are taking a chance that things stay that way for another year, but to pay the price for this one and only plan we have available, is simply unaffordable for us. so we'll have to take the hit on the penalty. 

Welcome back from your trip, Nancy.  I know those visits are few and far between, so I'm happy for you that you got to spend a couple weeks of quality time. I enjoyed seeing some of the pics you shared and especially your niece's quinceanera party. How wonderful to get to dress up as you all did for such a memorable celebration!

Leslie - NO!!! You are just getting back into it!  I'll remain optimistic that it's just your feet/tendons/ligaments getting used to this thing called running again. Normally stress fx are caused by increasing mileage too quickly but you have been so cautious and not putting in high mileage by any means. 

Must Run Today!! Haven't run since this past weekend and even last week was only a total of 8 or so miles. ughhh, I can feel my pants tighten just thinking about the holiday calories I've taken in the calories I've not burned.

Tammy

...re-

Insurance

Medicare and the Supplement take a little getting used to,

but

I just got my Hospital Bill (the surgeons bill is separate)

and

I owed $1300,

Pickles called the hospital and they had just gotten a check so now I owe $0

on the Other Hand

I have to take her ShoeShopping now..........................shudder

==========

40-min x-bike

...ps......

the surgeons group participates in ''Bundling'' for Medicare

which

is meant to ''curtail Elective Procedures''

..........originally

they told me I didn't need to goto PT.........I told 'em I DID, and they scheduled 6-visits

............so Be Aware......

https://innovation.cms.gov/initiatives/bundled-payments/

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

Quickadder

re: insurance. I love the ACA and I hate the ACA.  .... only plan we have available, is simply unaffordable for us. so we'll have to take the hit on the penalty. 

You might not get hit with a penalty. Still a possibility that the individual mandate may be removed by the tax reform currently being legislated. If the 2017 rules survive, then there is an exemption if your premium is considered unaffordable - that applies if the premium is more than a certain percentage of your combined income - the percentage changes slightly each year but is between 8% and 9%.

I have another 23 months before I can join DW on Medicare. Our income is above the level at which there is any ACA subsidy, but the premium for a single policy for me would be way above the unaffordable exemption level, so I'm on the 'fingers-crossed' plan.

Started running at age 60.

AG 60-64 PR - 5K 25:45, 10K 53:28, HM 1:57:39, Marathon 4:32:09

AG 65-69 PR - 5K 26:11, HM 2:02:39, Marathon 5:04:47

evanflein

I read these stories about health insurance, high premiums and out of pocket costs, and I both feel very fortunate to have the plan (and health) that I do have, and very angry at all my whiney, entitlement-laden employees who complain that our plan is crap and too expensive and yadda yadda yadda. We have three plan options, the lowest deductible is $750 and it costs a single employee $3,109 annually (pre-tax). My plan is a CHDP ($3,000 deductible for the family) with the HSA, and single coverage is $1,445. I pay family coverage at $3,814 but we also get $1,200 back as our wellness incentive. So, all in all, a pretty good deal. More than half of our employees can't be bothered to qualify for the "rebate" (which is not hard), but complain about the plan and cost. I just shake my head.

Hoping the best for Justin to stabilize, that's gotta be hard of everyone. Hang in there, Deez. And yeah, don't run in the garage.

Hope the foot is just sore, Leslie. Sometimes ligaments and things get flared up and angry and it just takes a little while to get them to calm down. Have you told your PT about it?

Yes, welcome home, Mariposai! I hope you're not too buried at work from being gone. I can't imagine being gone for that long. Glad you got to run at home and yes, things have come a long way in the last 30 years!

Cooler today, but still should be about 20° later when I go run (that's +20...). Have a lot going on tomorrow so I'm thinking that'll be a good day to take off but might run at home after work, we'll see. Just 6.5 more days of work then off until January 3!!