Masters Running

Wed March 14th Daily (Read 37 times)

Tramps

I bet Jay's busy digging out so I'll get this going.

No snow here. Just 5 miles in the dark.

Be safe. Be kind.

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

plenty of snow here, at least 18" and probably over 20".  Just no running.  But I did do three different x-training shovelings.  And had a relatively relaxing snow day at other times.  DW made a big pot of chili that tasted oh so good after an hour with a shovel.

BTW--Welcome to Ky JohnTerry.  glad to have you.  you can check out a bunch of us in the intro thread and happy to know more about you, too.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

Quickadder

7.2 early morning miles @ 8:54 pace, including a brief pause at 6.4 to collect some road rash! I've fallen a few times on the trails, but this was the first time the road has tripped me. Bruised shoulder, skinned knee and eyebrow. No bones were protruding, so I finished my run.

Started running at age 60.

AG 60-64 PR - 5K 25:45, 10K 53:28, HM 1:57:39, Marathon 4:32:09

AG 65-69 PR - 5K 26:11, HM 2:02:39, Marathon 5:04:47

TammyinGP

Maybe Jay is busy making us all a Pi. 

I'll hopefully get in a run at some point today.  I guess now that we have light later in the evening, I don't HAVE to leave work early to get in my run, but it's sure nice to do that too. But today I'm so slammed busy with a big responsive pleading that I really must finish today, so I'll just be thankful if I can finish it by 5:00 and leave the office at a regular time.

Tammy

Had to be at work early, so 2.1 treadmill miles in the basement.  Getting to work by 8 is spectacularly more difficult for me than getting there by 8:30.  Traffic pattern is different and I hit two school zones.  It's annoying, but people at this company are early arrivers and the lawyers aren't supposed to be "special"........

2.4 treadmill miles after work.  Packing for Florida and looking forward to some warmer weather for a few days.         4.5 miles for the day.

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone.

This morning, I had to snowblow/shovel our driveway and walks (2nd time), then head to the office to shovel, then to BWB (breakfast with the boss), then to Town Hall to assess yesterday's town vote and start planning for next year's warrant articles, so I'm a little late getting to work.

Tuesday’s workouts:
              RunnerKSA (3.3 morning TM miles + 2.3 post-work miles in windy 46° temps)
              Tet (1 morning running mile in 61° temps, just for the halibut)
              Henrun (20 min of indoor cycling)
              Fatozzig (2.35 morning power walk with some knee discomfort)
              Twocat (1 hr. on the TM)
              Pfriese (11 miles with no smack talk)
              Anzlo (post-downpour morning EZ 4 miles)
              Surly Bill (7.5 afternoon miles in parted rain)
              Falconfixer (post-work 6 X 800m intervals, averaging 3:17 or so, for a total of 10 miles)
              Holly (4.3 TM miles with snow squalls outside)
              Catwhoorg (5 lunchtime miles + 6 hilly post-work miles)
              Wildchild (6 out&back trail miles with 1100 ft elevation gain/loss)
              StarrRuns (2 sunny, warm afternoon walking miles with Mr. Starr)
              SteveP (1.6 tough miles with Tag/Mia in deep crunchy slick snow)

Congrats on the fun run, Tet.

Yeah, I can’t/won’t pay $1,000 entry fee for any race. Of course, I won’t enter any race that takes me more than 2-3 hours either.

Sorry that Fatozzig and Holly are having client frustrations. Some people can help they way they communicate, and some can’t. I wonder which I am?

Twocat, in NH, it is only the Secretary of State who can postpone an election - each town doesn’t have that option. So our schools, town hall, etc. were closed, but the election had to go on.  DW must be wondering why you got two iTABs for her…

Anzlo, I’m to blame for using RW to mean racewalking ‘cause that’s what I do. I like the slash between the letters to communicate Run/Walk, if you’re OK with that.

Spacityrunner, glad you had a good time with Rosie!

Welcome, KY John Terry!

I think we averaged about 15"-18" or so of snow yesterday - with all the wind, we had 3” some places, and up to about 24” at other places. But it wasn’t too wet, so snowblowing and shoveling last night and again this morning wasn’t as bad as it could have been. I still have to do the back end of the driveway at lunchtime, 'cause there wasn't enough time in the morning. I did about a mile of snowblower/shoveling cross-training last night, and the same so far today.

Have a greta Wednesday!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

TammyinGP

and you didn't even have time to bake us Pi, Jay??

Tammy

Henrun

This morning had an early class scheduled, so I went down to the fitness room for some elliptical work and then found out that the class had been cancelled. So we dug out our snowshoes and headed down to the nearby river path for some delightful snowshoeing (see FB). Glad we did, especially since I never went outdoors yesterday. On the way back we stopped for pastry and hot chocolate (and I thought we wold miss winter after our month down south⛄️).

Rest in peace, Stephen Hawking.  Not sure there was a bigger role model for not letting your situation keep you from reaching your full potential and reaching for the stars.

and you didn't even have time to bake us Pi, Jay??

He can be selfish that way. 

I think Jay's XT yesterday was a lot harder than mine this a.m.  About 45 min of core/ST this a.m., with specific attention to ST for stabilizing the knee.  Doing the leg work in front of a mirror helps,'cause I can see that I have a huge tendency for my leg/knee to collapse inward.  I have to work really hard to NOT let that happen.

Henry - I'm so surprised you didn't miss being in the middle of all the winter fun!

Welcome KyJT.  A pec tear?  That sounds wholly unpleasant.

Starr - How'd the non-drug night go?

Quickadder - Very happy to hear there was no serious damage in that fall.

SteveP - I love watching dogs run like crazy with so much joy on their faces. A lesson we could all use at times.

Clients - The woman who was driving me crazy yesterday - I always follow up our telephone conversations and meetings with a very detailed letter, repeating everything we talked about.  Maybe she just throws them away.  I'm hoping for a better client day today.

Enjoy ~~

Leslie
                    Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                    -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

KY John Terry what fatozzig said. Sounds really painful. How did it happen? Also, welcome to the daily.

stumpy77 that is a lot of snow. We got about 6" and today it is warm enough that most of it is gone.

Quickadder aim for a lawn! Seriously, sorry to hear that I have experience with falls on sidewalks and the results are not pretty.

SteveP true you do not need to like a customer. But the builder you were describing was not paying his bills, unless I missed something in your description.

Henrun nobody, but nobody misses winter!

I managed an hour on the elliptical before heading into the office. My goal for today is to get IT to either gets its act together and make it possible for my research assistants to access a database we bought last fall or give up the ghost and hire somebody that knows what they are doing. Meeting at 3pm. This is a huge problem for reasons that would take a long time to explain here. But here is an analog. You are told that if you get a car running by August and put 5,000 miles on it you will get a big payoff. (Put whatever you want here. Money you name it. I am an academic so this is a guaranteed publication at a top outlet we are talking about here.) One little problem. You know what part you need. While it is not easy to produce it is not rocket science either. Nevertheless, the only shop on the planet that can provide you the part keeps sending you defective ones. Now you have some idea what I am dealing with.

Finally, my near daily extortion to join the Rosie Ruiz Fan Club for this year's Reach the Beach Relay on September 14 and 15! We need you!!! We are not looking for speed. Just a group to throw a 30 hour party with in a couple of vans. So join today! Just send me a message via the RA messaging system and I will get back to you. If you have my regular email or prefer sending a Facebook personal message that is fine too. I can guarantee you will have a great time or your, or your, or your clearly in need of psychiatric help! 

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Henrun nobody, but nobody misses winter!

Isn't that an old country song? "How can I miss you if you won't go away?"

Anzlo

Anzlo, I’m to blame for using RW to mean racewalking ‘cause that’s what I do. I like the slash between the letters to communicate Run/Walk, if you’re OK with that.

CoastWalker - RW makes perfect sense to be racewalking; the word "blame" never occurred to me.  I was just slow on the uptake that there were racewalkers (those that actual did it right) posting here.  I am happy to use R/W if I want to refer to run/walk which also makes perfect sense.  Frankly, I don't see how people can do it so fast after trying it a few times.  I was more exhausted and in more pain from that than running significantly faster.  Anybody that can actually do that motion for long distances has my admiration.

Nice weather this morning after rain during the night.  It was 44 degrees and overcast when I started but I finished in the sunshine after my 9 miles.  The only negative was running east when the sun's reflection off the wet pavement was blinding and unfortunately I had a fair amount of east roads on my run this AM.

Have a great rest of the week folks and to those of you under snow/weather troubles, may God bless you!

65+ Bests: 5K-26:11, 10K-TBD, HM-TBD

. . . racewalking . . .Frankly, I don't see how people can do it so fast after trying it a few times.  I was more exhausted and in more pain from that than running significantly faster.  Anybody that can actually do that motion for long distances has my admiration.

Amen!  Jay's racewalking pace is definitely faster than my average running pace.  And trying to hold that form for a significant amount of time - it takes a lot of mental control, as well.

And I love watching racewalking races.  2010 Youth Games in Singapore.

Leslie
                            Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                            -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Marathon Maniac #957

Isn't that an old country song? "How can I miss you if you won't go away?"

snork!

Kevin - how can you live in a place that gets 18-20 inches of snow and NOT own a snowblower?  Our 72yo neighbor died last month from a heart attach after shoveling snow, and we don't even get that much.

6.5 miles of intervals and fartleks on the TM.  Felt good to push the pace after just trotting around all winter.

I'm hoping to get the YMCA tonight for a "Burn and Tone" class.  Is it too late to drop 15 lbs before my vacation in 17 days?  

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

snork!

Kevin - how can you live in a place that gets 18-20 inches of snow and NOT own a snowblower?  Our 72yo neighbor died last month from a heart attach after shoveling snow, and we don't even get that much.

6.5 miles of intervals and fartleks on the TM.  Felt good to push the pace after just trotting around all winter.

I'm hoping to get the YMCA tonight for a "Burn and Tone" class.  Is it too late to drop 15 lbs before my vacation in 17 days?  

three reasons.  no place to put one.  short driveway.  and a neighbor with one who most of the time does the street/driveway interface where the plow buildup is. He was a little lazy this time around  Actually 4--i don't really mind shoveling.