Masters Running

Tuesday's Daily, 2.11.14 (Read 35 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone!

Nope, I didn't go out today. I was awake at 2:40, and spent the rest of the pre-dawn morning trying to get back to sleep (but failed miserably). Also, it was 5F outside, and I just didn't feel like dealing with that. On the other hand, I have an interesting day ahead: Helping carry about 30 cases of toothbrushes upstairs at our offices; completing an application for a "no cost, assistance grant" for planning for sea level rise - I've recruited two neighboring towns to apply with us so we can take 'regional' approach to this issue if we are awarded the grant); and preparing summaries of the applications from local non-profits who want to be the beneficiary of this year's Seacoast Half Marathon - we're meeting to choose this year's beneficiary tomorrow evening.

I hope you have an interesting Tuesday too!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Mike E

MM #5615

Good morning! Nope...I can't beat that day...just working, running, and going to bed. That's it.
      Tramps

Good morning.

Yeah, an interesting day ahead, too.  Meeting with some faculty and designers to start planning a program web site with integrated student e-portfolios and blogging platforms.  Thank goodness I've got some good tech folks around me; I'm the idea guy, they do execution! 

Fast 4 this morning @ 20F.  4-6 inches of snow supposedly coming our way tomorrow night.  That should be interesting.

Have a good day.

Be safe. Be kind.

Dave59

My head/sinus thing has just sucked the motivation right out of me, so today may be day 4 off from running or working out.

tomwhite - I passed the video on to Annabelle.  She had a phase where she wanted to watch YouTube videos on my PC all the time and I kept a folder of her favorites.  A version of the one you sent was one of her favorites.  If Claire hasn't seen The Duck Song yet she may like it.  There are 3 of them and we've watched them a few hundred times: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MtN1YnoL46Q

My daughter sent us a picture of the new grandkid expected on September 16th (same date as my father-in-law's birthday.)  Too early to tell if it is a boy or girl.

mrrun

I went out for 4 at 5:45 this morning in awe of Jay's ability to do this - and it was warm ???? at 12 degrees.  I had hoped to go longer, but it was TOO cold - altho lovely sunrise.

Interesting morning at archeology lab probably resorting stuff from the Big Dig, then book club tonight - afternoon unknown

May everyone else have an interesting day!!

marj

8 EZ miles this morning.  After 8 yesterday, I'm happy I could manage 8 today, though it wasn't as EZ as I had hoped it'd be.

No interesting day for me probably.  6 hours of meetings scheduled.  Yuck.  Counting the days (like this) down ...

Bill

"Some are the strong, silent type. You can't put your finger on exactly what it is they bring to the table until you run without them and then you realize that their steadiness fills a hole that leaks energy in their absence." - Kristin Armstrong

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Busy already.  No planned run for me this morning, which turned out to be a good thing.  We got a call from DD on the left coast when she left work at midnight HER time.  She has to take a taxi home from work when she gets out that late and the money we had put on her "emergency" credit card for such purposes hadn't gone on yet.  I normally can recite my AMEX number from memory after all my work travel, but somehow it just didn't work after being woken from a sound sleep at 3am .  So had to get up to get my wallet which was downstairs in my coat pocket.  Even the regular alarm time felt VERY early after that.

Jay--like I said before, you rest almost as well as Holly does.  XT with toothbrushes is a novel method.

Only 6 hours, Byll?  What will you do with the extra time?

Marj--happy sorting.  A lot warmer down south--it was 5 at the homestead when I left at 7.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

We're enjoying our babysitting day, as usual.  Here's the littlest tselbs with his dog Rex.  I couldn't get him to smile while Rex was by him.

TomS

King of PhotoShop

Sounds like a full and interesting day (and night) Jay.

Another great pic Tselbs.

3.4 at easy pace at the park. Sub-30 temps and windy, so I packed it in.  I'm thinking I'm good to go to do the Cowtown Ultra in 2 weeks, a 50K but on streets and kind of a hilly course. I did this race last year, my first and only ultra, and won my AG by over 20 minutes. I don't expect to do that well this time.   Spareribs

Dave59

We're enjoying our babysitting day, as usual.  Here's the littlest tselbs with his dog Rex.  I couldn't get him to smile while Rex was by him.

TomS

Nice picture, but isn't there some sort of standard leg length that must be met to be considered a "dog"? 

Mariposai

Yes!!!!Another baby picture to bring sunshine to our day!

I am sure having fun with this Claire and Annabelle exchange here. It would be so cool if someday they actually meet. Very persistent duck on the video. It made me laugh. I saved the video for my little friends for their next visit.

Spareribs, that was an impressive high mileage weekend you had this past weekend! Looking good there, ohh wiseone.

Tramps, every group needs an "idea guy". How is your learning about the tech world coming along?

Holly, how do you like your new phone?

Hello Shadowrunner. Nice to see you here.

Lamerunner, are you having fun watching the Olympics? How is the ski season treating you? Still not enough snow here to ski on. I miss skiing so much.

I was wondering how hopeful4ever is doing.

Well, this is day 4 of sounding and feeling like a frog. I have strict orders to not run at all until I feel like a human being again . So, here I am at home taking it easy and enjoying the company of a nice book.

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

C-R

Nice cross training Jay.

You early morning runners roll. I can do it once or twice a week but that's the end of it for me.

Get better Dave and mariposai

Nice pic tslebs.

Ribs is defending his crown in a 50K. Sweet.

Stumpy - if someone calls me at 3am, I think I would be hard pressed to remember much more than the cursive language coming out. 

6.2 temposih miles at lunch. Its getting a bit warmer here. Just registered for the Indiana Master Track and Field Indoor championships. Not sure how many to run. Thinking 800, mile and 3000. What do you guys think? It's march 1 so there's time for me to waffle.

Cheers.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
                          "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

Cute picture!  Re the pup - I saw a pic today of a cross between a corgi and a German shepherd.  VERY cute dog.  Short and small like a corgi, but with the look of the shepherd, including a longer coat.

Jay - We could've called each other!  Oh wait - I keep forgetting about that dang time difference.  I was pretty much awake - with some snoozing here and there - from about 2:00 a.m. until I finally got up at 3:30/3:45.

{{{Healing Hugs}}} for Posie and Dave.

Ribs - 50k on pavement?  Ick!  It would destroy me.

And speaking of destroy - it was bound to happen.  After a couple of weeks of good/decent runs, I had a dog of a run this a.m.  Seven miles with 8 x 1-2 min fartleks thrown in wherever I wanted was the game plan.  Well, I think I did 6-7 fartleks, but I know I never made it over a minute, and that was maybe with the first two.  The rest - I don't know if they even hit 30 seconds.  The run was just a pavement-filled, predawn, slogfest that never improved.  Dead legs, tight hamstrings, and now my right hammy is barking at me..  Bleck.  But if all goes according to myth, Thursday's run should be back in the "decent" range . . . . right?  I keep getting up and walking around, going up and down the stairs, but I feel like an old lady.  Squatted down to get some paper - about 3+ reams worth - and I was wondering if I was going to have to have someone pull me back up.   I think tomorrow's strength training will include very little leg work.

Leslie
                            Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                            -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Thanks for the start coastwalker and I didn't go out this morning either! I just had phone calls with clients today and another window at noon, so that's when I went. I did layer up at 5:00 am and get ready and then saw the -9 on the temperature gauge and the wind chill at worse. I also sat down to put on my sneakers and Hudson brought over his stuffed fox, hedgehog, and Darth Vader---a clear sign that I was meant to stay in and have more coffee and snuggle with him.

I do really like the morning running though. It sets my day right and also reduces the puffy bags under my eyes! Better than Botox or cucumber slices----bracing cold and voila! :-)

Anyway, ran 8 miles today with 8 x long climbing hill repeats----swinging arms hard, bent slightly forward and looking ahead. It was actually a hill-fartlek run as I also ran as fast as I could whenever I hit clear pavement patches. 10 mile run with team tomorrow and then a SRD on the day we are to see more snow----estimates are wild too: 6-15 inches. I like the lower end of that range. Just saying!

What a cutie patootie tselbs! Hurray for babysitting.

Careful now Leslie....be good to yourself, you've been running well and lots too!

Very cool on the indoor meet C-R

Henrun

I've been trying to get back to ice skating after a 2 year lay-off(after a bad fall on the rink). Lost all my confidence but have been determined to get back to it. Got my skates sharpened last week and tried skating yesterday and today with variable success. Fell again today but it bruised my ego more than my body. My R knee (the arthritic one) seems to be the culprit. At least I got out on a sunny outdoor rink. Will try again.

Came home and went for a 2 mile run (my fastest in quite some time). So, not a complete loss today.