Masters Running

40's + on the Run w/e 3/14/09 (Read 397 times)

SRL - Give us an updated pic whenever you can. Does he still have to do the doggie dreadmill? I LOVED that video! Well, I just need to vent for a moment. >vent on< today="" has="" been="" a="" total="" carp="" day.="" phones="" driving="" me="" nuts,="" trying="" to="" get="" ahead="" of="" the="" game="" before="" i="" leave="" on="" vacation="" on="" the="" 21st,="" and="" then="" to="" top="" it="" off,="" we="" got="" a="" call="" from="" my="" sil="" that="" my="" fil="" is="" in="" pretty="" bad="" shape,="" heart-wise.="" he="" had="" to="" go="" into="" the="" hospital="" in="" yuma="" this="" a.m.="" they="" tried="" to="" do="" an="" angioplasty="" on="" him,="" but="" his="" veins="" are="" too="" clogged="" and="" collapsed.="" he="" can't="" do="" anything="" in="" the="" next="" 5="" days,="" but="" next="" wed="" or="" thurs,="" he="" and="" my="" mil="" are="" going="" to="" fly="" back="" to="" portland,="" or,="" and="" to="" see="" his="" primary="" care="" doc="" and="" another="" cardiologist.="" this="" card="" in="" yuma="" says="" he="" needs="" a="" defibrilator="" implanted="" to="" keep="" his="" heart="" going="" and="" that="" he's="" not="" a="" candidate="" for="" bypass="" surgery.="" if="" that's="" permanent="" or="" just="" right="" now,="" i="" don't="" know.="" he="" had="" a="" massive="" heart="" attack="" 21="" years="" ago,="" and="" i="" have="" to="" say="" we've="" all="" been="" surprised="" -="" happy,="" but="" surprised="" -="" that="" he's="" done="" so="" well.="" i="" am="" assuming="" he="" wasn't="" getting="" regular="" check="" ups="" or="" they="" would've="" caught="" this="" sooner.="" dunno.="" anyway,="" this="" totally="" and="" completely="" sucks,="" especially="" since="" we="" won't="" find="" out="" anything="" for="" certain="" until="" right="" before="" we="" leave="" on="" vacation.="" so="" we'll="" need="" to="" get="" an="" international="" calling="" card="" so="" we="" can="" keep="" in="" touch.="" />vent off< thanks, guys. thanks,=""></ thanks, guys.>

Leslie
    Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
    -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Hey 40s........ Bryce Canyon sounds like a great place for a run. Fatozzig....hope the fil does ok. Hey, I just joined Arla and Mtnchck (and othrs) for some girlscout cookies over at the health and nutrition forum. We had thin mints and peanut butter....Yum! Thanks ladies! 3 easy miles for me this evening. Later, my friends.
      Quit being so damn serious! When we change the way we look at things, the things we look at change. "Ya just gotta let it go." OM

jfa

Hi Folks! mmmm....Girl Scout cookies.....mmmmm Yes Busy bunch here- Carol- hope you feel better and I'll echo what Leslie said, Bryce Canyon is spectacular.We took the kids to see the Grand Canyon, Zion Canyon, and Bryce Canyon a few summers back. Other-worldly scenery and I imagine Bryce would be relatively flat. Jewels- good luck with your exams and glad to hear that you got a good run in. Don't overdo it,and hopefully you'll be better for your Dr's visit. Great race Arla and nice job with that 60m week that you snuck in there! Leslie- hope it works out for your FiL, your vacation, and your new training program! Salty- Good luck with your race! Will you be sampling the wine along the way too? I envy you with that bug, my K Ghia was like driving a go-cart! Good job on the fast 16 Ev, just like you planned.Thanks for the encouragement. Jim- hope that you're feeling better and it's warmed up for you again. Cindy- good luck figuring that all out?! I have that size ipod too and I love it. Course,mine was not free. SRL- dog pics are always welcome around here... How's this for determination: dentist appt after work today for a root canal, then went out for an 11 miler. Was drooling even more than I usually do Tongue

How's this for determination: dentist appt after work today for a root canal, then went out for an 11 miler. Was drooling even more than I usually do Tongue
          Okay, Joe gets the Studliest of the Studs Award for this - even with excessive drooling . . . which, I might add, certain types of wimmin mind find attractive. Mm hmmm. I'm must sayin' . . . . .

Leslie
          -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

Queen of 3rd Place

Leslie - hey, this is a family forum, no x-rated or off-color posts Wink Sorry to hear about your FIL, doesn't sound too promising but cardiology has become an amazing science. My grandmother-in-law had a multiple-bypass about 5 years ago, at the age of 90-she's-not-sayin'. Worked out fine. Oh - and wow on that run with hill repeats, seems to me you're *this* close to being back to 100%! Robert - don't forget the wine country (trail) (half) marathon. I think. Or is that a full? And there are others in the series: Napa to Sonoma (doing that one in July), and Santa Barbara. Joe - huh? I don't got no 60 mile weeks? Maybe next year. And forgive me if I don't think drooling is sexy, but I DO think getting out after a root canal IS! Ev - yes, virtual cookies is all we're getting for now. Cry I even made a special trip to the grocery store (gee, I think we're ALMOST out of milk), just because I was hoping to see girl scouts. No joy. Cindy - think of your runs together as time off. Mid-week 10-miler on slightly tired legs today, got a boost when one of my students (guy about my age) cruised by going the other way. Cool! Arla

Ex runner

Morning folks, Well, things didn't pan out to well yesterday for any type of running or exercising. Went to work for a couple of hours, met my daughter for lunch, went to the GI diagnostic center to pick up my mom from a small out patient surgical procedure. Took her home and spent 3 hours with her making sure she fully "came to" before I left her. Hit the grocery store on the way home and bam, no time for anything when I got home but cook dinner, do a little studying and hit the bed early. Hope things work out for your FIL Leslie, vent here anytime you want. I've done my share. Nice runs, excessive drooling, GS cookies and more! Have a super hump day, Jewels
              But in the end, I'm more afraid of not trying, than failing. JJJessee

flatland mountaineer

It was 6 degrees this morning at run time Shocked and between that and digesting the USDA report that came out this morning I think I'll move my run to late afternoon. Seem to be on the mend, hope I didn't give this crud to any of you but I used germ-x before I typed. Smile I think Lynda left our gs cookie order at my dads, I really like those coconut macaroon things. I just go to the health and nutrition forums so I can save money on my fertilizer bill. Wink Just like Geico don't cha know. Cool Leslie hope u get good news on your fil. Aamos ' husband on the daily is running with an implant defib if you remember. Geez Joe running after a root canal, I have to still be numb to run, I usually just wanted to take a handful of Ibu and go to bed. Carol good job on the ww thing and being down some LB s. Cindy glad you stopped in. Didn't get back to you but the deep tissue massage helped, just need to do it more often, mebbe try and find someone down here? Jewels hope your mom is doing well. Arla nice consistant miles as usual and nice race report. Race sounded like fun and if they get the organization down it will be quite the deal. Salty cuising in the bug sounds like fun! Ev you getting these cold temps in OK?

The whole world said I shoulda used red but it looked good to Charlene in John Deere Green!!

Support Ethanol, drink the best, burn the rest.

Run for fun? What the hell kind of recreation is that?  quote from Back to the Fut III

Morning, Friends - Thanks for letting me rant yesterday. Got home and we went for all-you-can-eat pizza buffet. I consoled myself w/four slices. They weren't big, so I don't feel real guilty. And besides, sometimes you do whatcha gotta do. And to clarify - I said some wimmin like the drooling. Wink Sounds like a few people may be on the hunt for the GS's. Uh huh. Watch out cookie girls! You have created monsters! After a sleepless night due to The Hub coughing, sneezing, and farting up a storm (WTH did he eat?!?), plus our old cat going in to the bathroom what seemed like every hour or so and howling at the water mug, I stayed buried under the covers, even though I was pretty much awake off and on from 4:30 to 6:30. I finally gave up at 6:30, got up and fed the pack and got ready for work. Thermo on the kitchen window read 26 degrees at 6:30. Clear as could be outside, with the big ole full moon shining like a spotlight over the backyard fence. Very pretty, indeed.

Leslie
                  -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

jfa

Hi Folks- Seeing the sun today for the first time since last Saturday. Shocked Still only 30's but that's better than what Jim has out there. Nice 10 miler last night by the boardwalk, finished the last two @ 8:30 per.Poor Buddy's been getting ditched for my non-stop training runs,I 'll have to make it up to him with some good muddy trail runs this weekend. Have a fine one

saltyd

Wow, some of you are having some seriously cold weather compared to us in AZ. But then I think evereyone at this point is at least cooler than here. I went yesterday to my little park with hills, and I think it was in the low 80s. A little warmer than I would like, but better than the triple digits that will be upon us before I'm ready. But it is still very good weather for the top down on the bug! Big grin I'm hoping to get a 6 mile work out in tomorrow, since my brother is coming to town tomorrow eveing for a couple spring training games, I won't get to go on Saturday or Sunday. The weather should be wonderful for sitting outside watching baseball. I am counting down the days to going up to Napa for the 10K and the wine tasting after. They don't have tasting along the route like Healdsburg. But they have showers to clean up, and go directly to all the fabulous wineries up there and tast, taste, taste. Lesie - I hope your FIL is doing better, and his doctor back home has better news for him. Salty
                      Saltyd Life isn’t about waiting for the storms to pass. It’s about learning to dance in the rain.

flatland mountaineer

3.1 this morn in full winter gear in one of the coldest runs of the year plus a mile last nite . Suppose to warm up this weekend. have a good one!

The whole world said I shoulda used red but it looked good to Charlene in John Deere Green!!

Run for fun? What the hell kind of recreation is that?  quote from Back to the Fut III

Salty - Thanks. We're not going to know anything definite until next week when he returns to Oregon. Just praying nothing happens to him in the meantime. Joe - Poor Buddy! Sad FJ - It HAS to get warmer at some point, doesn't it? A peek at the thermo this a.m. said 27 when I left at 6:30 and read the same thing when I got back about an hour later. I keep looking at my poor yard and it is so tempting to buy some new plants, but alas, I know we'll have more frosts and it'd just be throwing money into the mulch pile. I'm suppose to run what feels good for the next weeks or so and keep the HR at 160 or below. So even though I was told to do 3 miles this a.m., I did 5 and threw in my version of some sprint work: run semi-hard for 2 blocks, recover 1 block. Did for sets before I started feeling it a bit in the tum so just took it easy going back home. 1. 10:08/8:46/147 2. 10:13/9:15/160 3. 10:07/7:10/157 4. 9:50/8:23/158 5. 10:16/8:13/159 For about the last .5, I could really tell I didn't eat a whole lot yesterday. Have to get back into eating right for running. There's a book they talked about over on the daily called "Sports Nutrition Guidebook" by Nancy Clark. I think I'm gonna go look for it to take on my looooong plane flight next weekend. Also have to go this weekend and buy a bathing suit for our trip. I absolutely hate shopping for bathing suits, and I hate wearing them. I seriously think I'd rather endure another root canal. If there's anything that makes me feel fat and dumpy, it's a frigging bathing suit. They're stupidly expensive for my once-a-year use, and . . . . well, they just suck. . . . . . . did I mention I don't like bathing suits?? Wink Have a great day, everyone ~

Leslie
                          -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

flatland mountaineer

For about the last .5, I could really tell I didn't eat a whole lot yesterday. Have to get back into eating right for running. There's a book they talked about over on the daily called "Sports Nutrition Guidebook" by Nancy Clark. I think I'm gonna go look for it to take on my looooong plane flight next weekend. ~
                            I have that book and like it.

Thanks, FJ. Got back to the office in time to watch the last 35 minutes of this: http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/marathon/. It's about a NOVA team of running novices and their preparations to run the 111th Boston Marathon. I was practically crying like a baby by the end. Blush

Leslie
                              -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

Top 'O the World!

Hey Leslie, I have that book too...& several others Wink good stuff. Helpful as far as directing towards a common sense approach on finding what works best for your body. Which, now your digestive system is "modified.". And I think that's maybe the same Nova program (or one of them) that Arla & I were talking abt last Fall... So! Have ya seen "Australia" yet!? (Insert drooly emoticon! Big grin) Jim: glad I could help! Wink if you can't find a local therapist(www.amta.com), maybe I could ship ya some rocks w/instructions!!..or yoose guys could visit more often, say for a little jog around the park/lake Wink Sad poor Buddy Sad least he's lookin fwd to muddy runs! I'm not doing so well past few days getting my runs/wo's done either. Either having random scattered clients or the grandkids.. Mairead just doesn't get why the "puppies" prevent us from running! Big grin ...speaking of clients...must go play in the rocks. Laters! C
                                Remember that doing anything well is going to take longer than you think!! ~ Masters Group