Masters Running

Wednesday July 15 Master Runs and Workouts (Read 362 times)

Good morning everyone!

Tinman Tempo day today.  The plan called for:

2.5 miles warm up EZ

6 x 1/2 mile @15K pace (approx. 7:51 min/mile pace) with 1 minute walk recoveries

4 x 150m @3K pace with 150 jog recovery

2.5 miles cool down EZ

The 1/2 mile repeats were done at:

7:59

7:55

7:47

7:39

7:36

7:41  (Avg 7:46).

I felt pretty good this morning.  Running 6 days per week and swimming a mile on the 7th day doesn't seem to have been a problem at all (so far!).

Bill

"Some are the strong, silent type. You can't put your finger on exactly what it is they bring to the table until you run without them and then you realize that their steadiness fills a hole that leaks energy in their absence." - Kristin Armstrong

Slo

Hot Damn Bill.......I'm going to have to kick it into high gear here !!!! 

I like running 6 - 7 days / week......I couldn't imagine it any other way.

The swimming is a great way to mix things up and keep your upper body engaged in your fitness regime.

This morning I broke out my arsenal of pool toys and had fun. Kick board, fins, paddles and pull bouy.  Mixed it up doing 250 yds with each item......just something different.

Happy Miles to all !

i'm lovin' it... MM#1949

Byll.. Nice job and interesting program.

It's AMAZING what cooler temps do to running enjoyment!

IRC 59F!!

2 miles dog pace with Tory and Sadie in 20:38 (10:19 pace, AHR 136) Then 8 mi EZ in 1:08:01 (8:30 pace, AHR 148) .  I'm thrilled that my HR was in the 140's at 8:30 pace!!! Focused on nice slow deep, from the diaphram, breathing. Knee a bit better, no issue while running (there's a sore spot during the warm-up run) ...hope it goes away soon.

Perch's Profile "I don't know if running adds years to your life, but it definitely adds life to your years." - Jim Fixx "The secret is to make in your mind possible what was not possible before. The secret is to make easy what was difficult, instead to make difficult what really is easy." - Coach Renato Canova

Tramps

I'm on the road back, I hope. 

Three weeks after I broke my little toe, I went out for my first run today.  A whopping 2 miles at a leisurely pace with the toe still "buddy taped."  Tender but not painful.  It didn't get worse, so I'll try again tomorrow.

Like Steve, we've been enjoying stunning IRC weather.  Amazing for July in Virginia.

Be safe. Be kind.

Marathon Maniac #957

Good Morning!

Bill – I like your plan, too.  Those kind of interval workouts where you mix it up like that seem to go by so quickly.

Erika – leave it to you to find the toughest ultra around to do for your first one.    I have no doubt that you will do great, though.

Slo - pool toys - how fun!

Divechief - wishing you the best for San Francisco.

ETA - Tramps!  We've missed you!

4.45 recovery miles for me today (ave pace 10:39)

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Good morning RA friends.............just popping in to say I miss you all and to let you know even tho i havent been posting much i think of you often and miss you .......... i know i said that recently but i really do miss the chat -- we have a bit of chaos in our home right now tho. 

My 21 yr old has been admitted to a psych bed since monday night.   It's a long story and we've had a long month with him, but he decided to try Ritalin for ADD and we're not sure if he took too much or if he's having a psychotic reaction or if there is something else going on, but Sunday night he totally lost contact with reality - he is delusional and paranoid and our lives have been turned upside down.  Fortunately we have a lot of family and friends in the area for support and I have church and friends there which are also my source of comfort and strength.   I think we all slept last night for the first time since Sunday and he just called me as i was typing this and he actually sounds like he's thinking a little clearer, but then the nurse just called and said he is really paranoid and wont take any meds and wants to see us so i am heading up there now.  I am really hoping and praying that this will be a reaction to this medicine and not some underlying psychosis or mental illness that is just coming out which i am told can happen in young adults.  Please keep us in your thoughts. 

denise

Slo

Deez,

I have no words but I can certainly pray for you and your family. Know that you are being prayed for.

Huge Hugs to you and your family Denise. My thoughts will be with you. As the older sister to a brother with lots of experience in psych. wards, rehab and more, my heart goes out to you. I am so glad you have a strong network right there and deep faith.

Hey Tramps! Hope the toe holds up and you are back for sure.

Way to go Bill and pool playing SLO

Absolutely perfect day here in Western, Mass too. Cloudless skies, crisp temps and gorgeous. feels like a late August morning. Todays workout was on the track----ran 3 miles to the track at easy pace, 4 barefoot strides on the track infield (so soft and springy!), 4x1 mile @ 7:15 pace with 2 minute rest intervals (7:13, 7:14, 7:08---VERY cute shirtless guy dribbling a soccer ball shows up---whoops, showing off, 7:12) 4 more barefoot strides and then ran home 10. 5 miles total. Tired but happy. Coach said this workout was about control and pacing and not about blowing out the speed. Her words: "If you see anything with a leading 6 on your watch, I'll have to comes out there and make you do circuits or something you really hate!  You don't need warp speed for this marathon and it gets harder next month." I felt in control the whole way (well except for my handsome man lapse).

Have a good day all

Marathon Maniac #957

{{{Denise, her son, and family}}}

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Mr. Chip & Mizz Rizzo

{{{Denise}}} you will definitely be in my thoughts and prayers.   Please keep us posted the best you can.

Well, my anemia paired with what I will simply call some new and unpleasant "female issues" has left me feeling exhausted.   I pretty much refuse to give in to it though and continue taking iron pills and try to function as usual.    However, the thunderstorms this morning combined with a nice comfy bed led to both DH and I oversleeping!   Then, in my rush to get things going I dropped the dog's water bowl and shattered that all over the kitchen floor.  In hindsight, starting with a run would have been a much better option this morning.....

Tomorrow will be a run in my new shoes though!  Big grin

~Mary

"My sunshine doesn't come from the skies,
                      It comes from the love in my dog's eyes."

~unknown

http:www.rawleypointkennel.com

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Denise--best wishes for a speedy and successful resolution.  my thoughts are with you and your whole family.

mary--I think new shoes can help fix a lot of things

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

Deez- Add me to the list of those thinking of you and your family. I am glad you have a solid network to support you and your family.

Steve P-Did you tip the doctor when tights were prescribed? Couldn't you have talked the doc into a cape as well, or is that already part of your work outfit?

For me 7 miles in beautiful sunshine and cool temps this morning. I sure feel better about myself when I get out and run. Thanks to all who have welcomed me back in recent days, the support and encouragement goes a long way. Now off to do a crossfit workout before meeting with a recruit.

evanflein

Denise, I sure hope things resolve soon and he is just having a bad reaction. Hugs and prayers for you and your family.

SteveP, after DH had knee surgery he's been wearing support hose for swelling and clots. I guess it's standard procedure now, it's his third knee surgery and first time with tights. Sure makes for a fetching sight, my man in supp hose and shorts, especially on his motorcycle. <<swoon>>

Karin, you show off. ;^) Nice pacing there and I like the barefoot strides in the middle... was that on the grass?

Byll, I did some mile repeats last night on the treadmill. Sure can tell it's been a loooong time since I've done anything like that.

Holly, that's what I was thinking. Would've been nice to find something flatter for my first, but oh well, I was gonna do the Equinox anyway.

The smoke is still here, and worse this morning. The lying chick on the news this morning said it would lighten up by noon, but I'm not buyin' it. I'll be heading to the sweaty gym with no showers for an easy 5 miler while watching the news or the Food Network at lunchtime. Fun stuff.

{{{deez}}} it sounds like it could very well be a reaction to the drug (I looked up RItalin).  Let's hope so.  Either way he is in a safe place getting treatment and I will keep him in my thoughts.  My older brother has had problems like this and it is always a scary situation, but I am sure your son will be fine.

80F today so will hit the pool with the kiddies.

I'm still not running, it just doesn't feel right, partly from the dizziness/nausea.  Partly from some medication I am taking right now to control anxiety, which is unfortunately a common side effect of having labyrinthitis/vestibular neuritis.

I do lurk from time to time, and am very impressed with everyone's workouts.

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

Mariposai

Enkie, I so miss you. I am glad to hear that you are doing better. Labyrinthitis/vestibular neuritis is a nasty little thing. Please recover well and be tack on the road again. Enjoy the swimming pool with the kiddos.

deezy, my heart aches for you and your son. My prayers are there with you sister.

Erika, go girl. If anyone can do an that ultra is you!!! I jsut wish I can be there to cheer you on.

Holly, you speedy girl. Nice workout yesterday.

dg, I hope your Anniversary was lovely.

As for me, I totally pig out last night and no regrets at all. BTW, thanks for all your kind words yesterday. Your words and pictures made me blushed. Stumpy, I love the words and the picture of the flowers and berries you posted. DG, yours was so sweet as well.

My whole day was special. I had the chance to chat on the webcam with my family back home. Birthday dinner was special. My 17 y/o boy was the chef, DH is gone to OR for the week, so it was just the two of us for dinner. The menu: shrimp with japanese noodles, Alaskan King crab legs, green salad from the garden, fresh mozzarella with cherry tomatoes, mama's pickled asparagus and french bread. The kid even remembered to put candles on the table and soft jazz music for the perfect ambience.

I will run after work today.

Tramp, we missssssss you around here. Welcome back

Where on earth is Hallar?

I wonder how Tall is doing

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard