Masters Running

Friday Masters run (Read 414 times)

This is a first for me to be able to be the one who opens the daily thread. 62 degrees and sunny here in lovely Clio, Mi 3 easy miles in preparation for my 1st ten miler since Oct. @ 35 minutes even. Will turn over the Garden today since I am now laid-off from GM till July. I also have a 12 pg paper for my Econ class to write. Have a good day all!!!
      Rest day today. Went to bed last night with a sore neck and woke up with the sniffles and some aches courtesy of my daughter who has had a cold. Happy to have it now ahead of Sunday morning..hopefully I can get rid of it. Great runs Tall 2 sleeps before it's time to Rock and Roll

Recent Best times: None recently

Mr. Chip & Mizz Rizzo

My father-in-law passed away unexpectedly Wednesday afternoon. After many attempts to call him by family members, my husband drove up there to check out the situation and found him already gone. He died after doing what he loved to do .... cutting the grass, and more importantly he was at home where he wanted to be. Jeff said that he looked very peaceful and he has the healthy viewpoint of his going peacefully. With his Pulmonary Fibrosis aggressively attacking his lungs, this is really a blessing. You are all such great friends, I just felt the need to share this with you. I am now off for a slow and easy run in his honor. Thanks for being here for me everyone. I'll be back Tuesday.

~Mary

"My sunshine doesn't come from the skies,
        It comes from the love in my dog's eyes."

~unknown

http:www.rawleypointkennel.com

Renee the dog

5 miles of goodness this morning. First 2 with Renee, then 3 by myself. Turned it into a fartlek in the end as I had bad pacing with one of the construction vehicles on the boardwalk. I was determined not to suck his exhaust. (literally). So when he got going faster than my pace, I kicked it out. Luckily, he had a stop to make just as I was about ready to give up. Cool Renee is now out for another 2 with Bayside who's also splitting up a 5 miler to accomodate the dog. Kids are wrestling with the hockey puck bean bags. The bean bags are winning. Confused ETA: Oh Mary! {{{{{ }}}}}

GOALS 2012: UNDECIDED

GOALS 2011: LIVE!!!

Morning, gang! Derrick - thanks for kicking us off this morning. Sorry to hear about your layoff. ((((Tall)))) - hope you throw the virus off before Sunday - good luck with your marathon. I'll be anxious to read your race report. Mary - how about another puppy picture to kick off the holiday weekend?? 7.35 hilly miles this morning - sunny and 60 degrees. Just found out a friend and former co-worker at the Univ of MO died of a massive heart attack Sunday - he was only 51 and leaves behind several children. His wife performed CPR and revived him but they lost him in the emergency room. What a tragedy. I'm flying off tomorrow for a whirlwind tour of the Midwest. I'm taking Mom's ashes back for burial with my Dad - time for some closure. I'm starting in Kansas City where I'm spending the holiday weekend with a quilting friend. Then I head south to Arkansas meeting friends and family along the way. The memorial service is on Tuesday after Memorial Day. Then I head to Springfield, MO to drop my uncle at the airport - will probably have to hit Bass Pro Shop - I really miss that place. The final leg of the journey will be to Columbia, MO to hook up with University of MO friends and quilting friends. If the weather cooperates, I'll get some kind of run in every day. Wishing our weekend racers fleet feet and perfect running conditions!

Sue Running is a mental sport...and we're all insane! Anonymous

(((((((Mary)))))))) - I'm so sorry - prayers and hugs.

Sue Running is a mental sport...and we're all insane! Anonymous

Good wishes and hugs to you Sue as you make this important journey. {{{{{{Mary and DH}}}}}}} It sounds like he went peacefully and running to honor him is wonderful. Hang in there Tall. I have only run the half-marathon in Ottawa, but always love that weekend of races and the whole atmosphere there. Run strong on Sunday! Hi Nono, Hi marathon derrick---and thanks for the start-off. Went for a 4 mile walk with Mr. CNYrunner at 7:15---birds tweeting, clear skies, 60º on the way to 90º today. All good.
                  Mary, sorry for your loss. Hope the next few days give you peace and fond remembrances. Well, I'm back on the shelf. Shin acted up again after yesterday's easy run and hurts today. I guess it's not completely healed - I've only managed short easy runs and...I don't know..what do I say? It just sucks. I'm aggravated. I wait three months, start slow and bam, my shin just will not let me run. Ice tonight, I'll bike tomorrow and see what happens. Frustrating.

Slo

Mary...So sorry to hear about you loss. It sounds like your DH is handling it very well. Sue, also so sorry to hear about your friend. Keeping all in my prayers.

Marathon Maniac #957

Good Morning! Marathon Derrick – long time no see – welcome back! Tall – I’m a believer in taking Zicam to diminish the severity of a cold. {{{Hopeful and family}}} EGH3 – how frustrating! 2 recovery miles for me today, followed by my favorite lower body routine: 1.Alternating side lunges (20L, 20R), bench step-ups (20L, 20R). 2. Weighted squats (30), weighted ballet squats (30), split squats (20L, 20R). 3. Single leg bridges (30L, 30R), forward lunges (20L, 20R) Plus lateral raises, dumbbell presses, flies, lying hammer curls, 5 chin-ups (separately, one at a time), and stability ball crunches. Good luck to the racers this weekend!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

King of PhotoShop

Some sadness on the forum today with Mary and Sue's news, and what heart and courage the two of them convey to us about death and closure. It is often with a death in the family that the strong women help the rest of the family cope and move on. Derrick, I hope you find a position soon, but it's good you are plugging away at school. Good for you. Here in the Dallas-Ft. Worth metroplex there are a number of races this weekend to celebrate the gift that those who served our country have given us. If I were racing, I would have chosen one of them. If you are thinking of racing this weekend and you have choices, that would be a good thing to do. My brother in law Joe, he of the running streak, is doing LA on Monday and told me he is dedicating each mile to remember someone who has passed on and who added something to Joe's life. My back is still achy, don't know what that is all about, but to be safe I am taking a day off from running. I don't usually take days off so I don't know how to start my day! So far it's been a lot of coffee. Think I'll shower and get myself in gear. Spareribs
                        RCG

Rose Colored Glasses

Mary and Sue, Thanks for sharing your stories. We are richer for them. Derrick, My son, Joe, is also studying Econ. Now I shall think of you, too, when he speaks that language. Good luck with your paper! And your garden! 0532 58° F 3.5 miles with the little group. Recovery run for them, tempo run for me and I still lagged way behind. Maybe because my big behind! ha ha. Enjoy this lovely day. Karin, the birds were lively this morning, listening = joy. MTA: Spareribs, I wish I could let you take the massage I have scheduled for 1530, today! I scheduled a month ago when my back and neck hurt but now I feel fine. Can you make it here for the appointment?

"Anytime you see the word "inflation" in the news, replace it with "record-breaking corporate profits" and you'll get what's happening."

Sorry about your loses Mary and Sue. I will be going back to work sometime in July so not to worry. This was a voluntary layoff. It will allow me to get my feet wet with going back to school after taking 10 yrs off. I figure as long as G.M. will pay for it I might as well get my Masters before I retire.

Hill Runner

Good morning gang, {{{Sue's}}} {{{Mary}}} Go Bill! I didn't run today yet but I did run last night. 6.03 miles of hills @ 8:30 pace...an invigorating run in 70+ temps. Last night after my run I went to a PCA meeting. My buddy Fernando just got a 2002 Porsche 911 Cab (convertible) and I was looking forward to seeing it. After diner of course, I needed to get the obligatory ride. To make a long story short we are in the car and he's going through the gears at a "pretty good" clip when out of the blue, there's a Police car on a side road that just pulls out with blue lights and siren wailing Roll eyes ...accepting the inevitable, Fernando starts to slow down and pull over but to our amazement the Police car speeds right past us to another destination....We both looked at each other in disbelief. Big grin Good Holiday Weekend All!

Upcoming Races:

Boston Marathon, Boston,MA 04/15/13
                              Grandfather Mountain Marathon,Boone NC 07/14/13
                              Thunder Road Marathon, Charlotte NC 11/13

wildchild

Carolyn

Derrick, nice to see you starting us off today! For those of you who missed it, dg posted a picture at the end of yesterday's daily: Tim Looney, Blazing Byll, CassidAAmius, the charming Mrs. Blazing (she is a sweetheart), & Roch. Wishing fleet feet and cool temps to Tall and Byll and anyone else racing this weekend. Mary, so sorry to hear about your FIL. Wishing you and your DH and his family peace and good memories. Sue, sorry to hear about the death of your friend, too. 51 is way too young! (that's how old I am) Well, on a brighter note, can I brag about DD's SAT scores? She's awesome! She got 720 in Reading, 720 in writing, and 770 in math! She said it was OK to brag about her because she doesn't like to brag about herself. What a sweetie.

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.