Masters Running

Thu Aug 27 Runs and Workouts (Read 323 times)

Erika - I hope you tooth feels better today.

Cute picture, Holly!

Recovery run today:

3.1 miles, 29:46, 9:28/mi, AHR 131 (67% MHR)

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com

Mr. Chip & Mizz Rizzo

Good morning!

After taking my mom to get her driver's license renewed .... she took me to  Red Lobster to celebrate, so running this morning was a must!    It was kind of bittersweet because I commented on how she is now good for 4 more years, and then she said that this will be her last time - in 4 years she either will be gone, or definintely not driving any more.

I'm so happy so many of you are going to try the Lemon Chicken - it is so good!   Stumpy, I think some cracked pepper would be a welcome addition to the recipe - let me knw how it is.

Out for 4 miles this morning with Brinkley.   I can say that this morning was the first run in a very long time that I felt like a runner again.  Smile   10:15 avg. pace - a bit humid as rain heads our way again.    Tonight I am going to a new excercise class called "Tone Zone".   I guess it is a full body workout that promises great results in 5 weeks.

Erika - hope your tooth is feeling better.   I know I was so nervous about a root canal last year, and it ended up being a piece 'o cake!

Cute picture of your daughter Holly.

Lou - with that new grandbaby I think you will have some puking stories to share soon enough.  Wink

Cheers!!!!

~Mary

"My sunshine doesn't come from the skies,
      It comes from the love in my dog's eyes."

~unknown

http:www.rawleypointkennel.com

Morning, Lou, Mary.

The cold front that was blowing in during my run yesterday (read: air conditioned tailwind) settled in last night; it's in the 50's here. Delicious.

5.22 in 47:12

Walt.

Manchild

Good Morning Lou, Mary, Walt and others!

The humidity has broken. The President has spoken.

I have finished in good stead a sneaky little 4 miler in the forest and am off to make some money replacing an exterior door at a neighbor's house...Sealing my freshly power washed deck may also be on the horizon...

Have a great day everyone...

Chris

Hope you're feeling better today Erika.

Good luck on the door and the deck Charley.  I'll be removing some rust stains on my sidewalk and trimming all the overgrown hedges this weekend.

This morning had me running some MP repeats within an MLR.  The plan was for 12 miles altogether with 4 x 2 miles at MP with 2 minutes walk recovery between each.  MP for me is 8:19 according to Tinman (HA!) or 8:35 according to me.

The 2 miles parts came in at 8:24, 8:24, 8:29, and 8:30.  I can't really say they were "easy".  But they never reached the effort level of, say, a tempo run.  Lost the satellite signal again and had to reset everything.  I'm glad I bought a new one (haven't got it yet.)

One thing I seem to notice about running in high humidity is that it seems to be my legs that feel it and protest the most.  Aerobically I seem okay in that the breathing never gets too labored.  But the legs are always sluggish and tired.  I suppose that could be the mileage difference between the FIRST program I was on and the Tinman program I'm on now.

Bill

"Some are the strong, silent type. You can't put your finger on exactly what it is they bring to the table until you run without them and then you realize that their steadiness fills a hole that leaks energy in their absence." - Kristin Armstrong

Slo

Another very rainy day here. We've received over 3.5 inches in the last 36 hours with more to come. Lots of minor flooding along the creeks.

Normally a little rain wouldn't side track my run but this morning was more than a little. Since the fitness center at the Y is closed today for maint I opted for a swim.

I'm not real good about regular stretching but there is something about a good swim that relaxes some tired muscles. My legs feel re-energized. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that I can sneak in a few miles after work tonight.

Morning, gang!

{{{{{{Erika's tooth}}}}} - hope you are doing better today and that the pain didn't keep you awake last night.

dg - also hoping you are feeling better. 

I misread Chris's post the first time and thought he said he was running in the "frost".  It won't be long and that will probably be true.

Holly - loved the picture, but it made me think of a recent study that reported an increased incidence of E coli-related GI problems in people who get buried in the beach sand and/or dig deeply in the sand.   Sorry for the morbid scientific interest ;-).

Mary - I think it's wonderful that your Mom is still driving and capable of passing a driving test.  Cherish every minute with her.

Walt - I think your cold front might be reaching my part of the country by tomorrow - supposed to be in the 50's when I wake up - woohoo!!

I can't complain about the weather here this morning - 63 degees, nice breeze and no humidity to speak of.  8.5 easy hilly miles @ 10:00 and 153 AHR.  Pretty sweet. 

Jesse and DH lolled on the couch last night while I wielded the string trimmer for an hour or so.  Tonight it's my turn to vegetate on the couch while DH does the mowing ;-).

Good runs to all!

Sue Running is a mental sport...and we're all insane! Anonymous

i'm lovin' it... MM#1949

Sounds like some of you are enjoying signs of fall air and running is becoming good again!

I had a good run today.. found out a secret....

1 mi warm-up with the dogs then 9.2 miles General Aerobic run in 1:16:02 (8:16 pace). This run was great. I realized I've been running with my head down and not getting a clear, open airway path to the lungs. Breathing should be with the diaphram vs upper chest and a clear airway to pump air more efficiently.  So I focussed on a nice easy deep breathing with a clear air passage and the pace became very comfortable!
                  67F, 66 dewpoint

Perch's Profile "I don't know if running adds years to your life, but it definitely adds life to your years." - Jim Fixx "The secret is to make in your mind possible what was not possible before. The secret is to make easy what was difficult, instead to make difficult what really is easy." - Coach Renato Canova

PBJ

Marathon Iowa 2014

Morning, all.

I had planned a 14 miler this morning, but I missed a turn and ended up on the other side of Talcott mountain.  As I searched for a cut through for the ridge, I realized that I was so far off course that the best thing to do was turn the run into an out and back instead of a loop.  I was running through towns that I'd never heard of before - Weatogue and Tarrifville to name two.

So the 14 miler became an almost 23 miler, and instead of two hours, it was a smidge over three.

Now my dilemma - I was going to run a 20 miler with a friend on Sunday morning - do I still do it?  If I do, that would be three 20+ runs in 8 days (I did 26 last Sunday).  Thoughts?  Thanks.

Marathon Maniac #957

Good morning!

Mary – nice run today.  I love that feeling when you start getting into the groove again.

{{{Erika}}} – some root canals are worse than others...glad you had the Vicoden...a glass of wine really kicks those off nicely........But way to go Tough Girrrl for doing a 10-mile run as well - Yikes!    Btw, How’s your DS today?

Breger – (taking careful notes) – another well executed (and interesting) run today....

Sue – I heard about that, too, but we managed to avoid it this trip.

PBJ - I would think that would be asking for trouble.

Tempo day.  70° and 96%.  The FIRST plan called for 4 miles @ 7:59.  I really didn’t think I had that in me outside of a race situation, but I figured I’d aim at something like 8:10. 

Workout:

1.76 mile WU @ 10:04, then 4 miles at

8:17

8:09

8:03

7:42

4.75 mile CD @ 10:20

10.5 miles total

The ave pace for the tempo portion was 8:02 – not far from the 7:59 after all.  (no stops in there, btw)  This was an unintentional progressive run, but I find this often happens with me.  I am generally a slow and sluggish starter, with my best miles usually being my 6th or 7th mile – well warmed up but not overdone yet.  Or maybe when I know I’m near the end I get impatient to finish and dig deeper – the horse and the barn and all that....

Lower body workout tonight.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Slo

I wouldn't recommend it PBJ.......But you know best.  I think I'd join up and hang for what I could.

Holly

I commented on how, after going nearly all out for the 1st mile, how painful that race on Saturday was and you remarked something like "Aren't all races painful ? "

I got thinking about that on my run last night. In all my best finishes I have to say, my least painful races were the ones that I performed the best. And even though I set a PR or PB I was still disappointed with the results because I never felt like I had given it my all......because it wasn't painful enough.......Go Figure !

i'm lovin' it... MM#1949

That's interesting. I alway thought that who wins the AG is the one who can endure the most pain!

On the other hand, I remember doing 800m repeats and trying to hit a time and they were painful. Later I relaxed, modified my form and hit the times without pain. So efficient running form is more important than pain because you can have alot of pain and be running inefficently and not perform as well.  Good form + pain is probably a winner Smile

Perch's Profile "I don't know if running adds years to your life, but it definitely adds life to your years." - Jim Fixx "The secret is to make in your mind possible what was not possible before. The secret is to make easy what was difficult, instead to make difficult what really is easy." - Coach Renato Canova

Tramps

Erika—ouch!  That sounds nasty.  Hope things are improving today.

Mary’s feeling like a runner again.  Yay!

Byll—I’m with you on the dead-legs-in-humidity thing….even though my humidity is much milder, I’m sure.  And nice running this morning!

Perch—excellent run.  I always remind myself of the importance of form in breathing when I’m hitting hills.  It makes a big difference for me to do “belly breathing” to make sure I’m maximizing my oxygen intake.

PBJ—Holy moly!  23 on a Thursday…and unplanned at that.  I don’t know, another 20—unless you do it really easy—sounds like asking for trouble to me. 

SLO—good point about least painful races being the best performance.  That’s certainly been the case for me.

I did a 12.25 mile progression run—sort of—I was overly ambitious and it kind of fell apart after about 9 miles, becoming a regression run.  Average pace was 8:36 with a few very slow miles and a few MP-ish miles in there.

I had an epiphany today.  I’ve been feeling sluggish recently, often not hitting the paces I thought I should be at this point in my training cycle.  I looked back at my Spring marathon training and I was doing much better on my runs at this point in the cycle than I am now.  Then it finally dawned on me.  Doh!  It was about 30 degrees cooler this winter/spring than it is now!  What I really should be doing is comparing my training to last summer.  When I compare with those numbers, I’m doing fine.

I’m not any faster but I feel better about it. 

Be safe. Be kind.

Mariposai

Looking at tramps terrific 12 progressive miles and holly's outstanding pace for today tempo makes me feel like a whimp. Only 5 miles with 1 mile up a cannyon in a rather slow motion and 4x 100m hill reps.

One more day to finish my report. Wish me luck folks.

5 o'clock is dark now.

Erikaaaaaaaa. take care of yourself sistahhhhhh.

aamos, butterflfyyyyyy hugs to you, just because.

Can't wait to see how Ribs do in HTC.

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

Marathon Maniac #957

Mariposai – not a bit of it!  I noticed your 9-mile run with the last 5 at MP yesterday – very nice!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."