Masters Running

Saturday runs, dissertations and what have you (Read 408 times)

Well I have been quite busy the last few days due to the ridiculous weather we've been having in the Northeast...thunderstorms, tornadoes etc. I had to bag Thursday's run because I ended up having to stay at work as we lost our radios and 9-1-1 phone lines (our radios use voters which use dedicated phone lines to replay traffic back to us) due to the weather and when I got home it was storming way too bad to go out. I ended up doing a nice run yesterday in very comfortable weather - 86 and 50 % humidity: 10.1 Miles Progressive - 1:23:21 (8:16) - 9:00 - 8:46 - 8:23 - 8:17 - 8:05 - 7:32 - 7:47 - 7:53 - 8:15 - 8:40 - :39 I am getting ready to head out this morning and it is a nice 62 degrees but 92 % humididty, we've scheduled a 16 mile long run with the group today instead of tomorrow to fit everyone's schedule. I had enough time to peruse Friday's forum....I missed quite a day! Bill thanks for sharing your story my thoughts are with you and your first wife's daughters. Ribs - so sorry about the news, but I know you will do the right thing and I will keep you in my prayers. Good runs all...I'm outta here. Oh yeah....DAMNED YANKEES!!! Angry

Renee the dog

[Hollywood southern drawl on] But Mainerunnah, you're a damn Yankee too. Wink [/Hollywood southern drawl off] Rest day for me. Dad was sent by his new doc to emergency room yesterday afternoon. Yep, DAD. So, my sister, who's scheduled for her first two day vacation since Mom's stroke in mid-May has packed up Mom and taken her overnight to her house. Sis's vacation starts today, and luckily, it is the next island over from us here. Mom's arriving late morning. Dad's unfortunately on his own until early Monday. My Sis is about to go crackers, so she needs 2 days staring at the ocean. Mr. Nono heads out tomorrow to the West coast for a week of work. It'll be interesting to have Mom at the new house. She's never dealt well with change, but we'll do our best to keep her entertained and comfortable while she's here. I went out last night and bought her 8 new summer outfits so she'll have lots of new things to wear when she arrives. On the plus side, the doc said Dad's admitted to not sleeping much over the last two weeks, so they are going to try to keep him comfortable and encourage a lot of sleeping through the weekend. Hoping...

GOALS 2012: UNDECIDED

GOALS 2011: LIVE!!!

The Jogger

Morning All Gosh Maine 10 yesterday, 16 today excellent. Nono, hope your dad is ok. Out with MrsRoy today for a very gentle 3 miler. 3m 34:39 @ 11:33 AHR 135 60% WHR Good Runs All Roy
          good morning, eight early sunny swedish miles followed by fjord dip and sun bake on the rocks. now that's summer... good runs, susan

Hill Runner

Good morning all, We can sure use the rain here and we got some this morning...kind of fun running in it for a change 10.11 miles of hills @ 9:17 pace. We got new neighbors yesterday, there are 2 PODS in the driveway, my wife met them briefly yesterday and said that they were a young couple...possibly runners. It would be nice to have some fellow runners in the neighborhood. Of course they might not be as crazy as me...getting up at 5:30 to run... Big grin Good runnin' to everyone today.

Upcoming Races:

Boston Marathon, Boston,MA 04/15/13
            Grandfather Mountain Marathon,Boone NC 07/14/13
            Thunder Road Marathon, Charlotte NC 11/13

Easy paced 6.2 miles w/ DW 10:10 average mile. Smile Very nice summer morning 64F mostly sunny, humidity? not too bad, a little breeze would have been helpful. Started a half marathon training plan today, 16 weeks to get ready. Actually I could do a half at anytime but it would be ugly. My goal of course is to look marvelous. Big grin I've never been too good at following plans, but at least it will give me some structure. Somewhat sad to read about everyone's family health issues, but nice that we read & offer our thoughts & prayers. maine them are some awesome workouts you're putting in Cool Susan 8 sunny miles followed by a dip & bake sounds GREAT! nono best wishes with Mom & Dad Roy nice of you to get the Mrs. out there running Peter I think life is much easier if you're the "crazy" of the neighborhood, I hope your neighbors are more normal Wink

Courage ! Do one brave thing today...then run like hell.

Marathon Maniac #957

Good Morning Bill – I could not think of a response to your story yesterday that had not already been expressed, but that doesn’t mean I wasn’t deeply touched. {{{Nono and family}}} Revisiting the sweat cloth issue: Tramps – the folded cloth diaper is in my hand at all times during the run (I switch hands periodically). If it’s warm enough that I need to wipe my face, I’ll need to do it often, so there’s no need to tuck it anywhere. WRFB – I have some of those bar cloths, but they are so rough – if I used those as face-wipe cloths, I’d lose several layers of skin on each run. The cloth diapers are not only absorbent, but very soft. Any infant department would carry them – Target, Wal-Mart, etc. Dave59 – nice pics – who would have thought there was such a nice beach in northern Ohio? Today I did this at the gym: 20 minutes elliptical 1 mile jog on the treadmill 30 minutes elliptical .75 mile jog, .25 mile walk on the treadmill (stopped running due to pain) 20 minutes on the elliptical (toes fell alseep) 20 minutes on the exercise bike Even after all this, it still doesn’t seem to leave the level of fatigue that my usual 12-mile LR would, but still, it’s something, and for that I’m grateful. Still no one at the front desk, although after an hour or so I did see a man wandering around who looked like he might work there. I got 2 free tickets to tonight’s Dayton Dragons game (the local minor-league baseball team) and I’m taking DS (age 11). He and I don’t get a lot of alone-time, since his drama-princess sister tends to demand much of my attention, so I’m glad to have this time with him. He’s growing up so quickly.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

mainerunnah enjoy your 16 miler today. nonoruns what can I say other than this must be very tough on you and your family. Best wishes as work your way through everything. The Jogger not starting the thread? Slacker! Wink fjordrunner all you Europeans have this huge time advantage for getting here first! Nice 8. Peter NCwho knows maybe you can talk them into be crazy? Sarge nice run with DW. Good luck with the HM! Holly S. sigh, I too find nothing produces quite the workout running does. But, hopefully you will be back to running soon. Enjoy the ball game with DS. Some of my fondest early memories are from going to Mets games with my dad. Yesterday perchcreek what a training run! Those intervals are very impressive. biketm if you are mailing out checks can I get one? Smile Tramps nice temps for your run and good 6 miler. hopeful4ever hill running = great training. Nice run. wildchild good run and enjoy your backpacking trip. What do you mean you are not doing the monthly miles? Just get a satellite hookup and bring your PC! Big grin dtoce nice speed work run! SueT48 good hill workout. Low humidity sure does help! Nice day again today in CT! evanflein 4 lbs since June! Wahoo! Yep, keep them off! BCMorant seems like the weather is breaking for the better all over for our runners! Good pace on your 8 miles. Easy is easy if it feels easy. The actual pace is, I think, secondary. In my view you can go "slow" and if it feels hard it is. Aamos sounds like you had a great day yesterday. 8.5 mile run while at work. Does it count as "at work" if you are off running? Wink stumpy77 when I get out for morning runs I find the hats hotter than they are worth. Have you tried a headband? Not that I wear those either. Just wondering. charleygross hope the knee keeps healing up. tselbs nice that you can help your DD study for a stat test. Even cooler that she would ask her dad! My guess it was worth being tired for the run. CNYrunner I would have run on a rest day if I was off traveling (new route, yea!) and the weather was that nice. mirko do you do tri's? Just wondering since you did a run and swim in the same day. munchkn883 in my quest to figure out some of the handles, what does the 883 stand for? SteveP hope you burned up the course in your race today! Me I ran the 5th race in the local Saturday series. This one was at the ever popular distance of 4.83 miles and I managed to finish the course in 30:56 which was 2 seconds faster than last year. (SueT48 thanks for the speedy wishes yesterday. Guess they worked!) I am really happy about the new course PR and I hope it augurs well for the longer races this fall. I lost by 2 seconds to one of my "rivals" and 4 to my occasional TP who has been clobbering me all year. Both good signs as the races increase in distance where I hope to gain some time on them both! Last year I was ahead of my TP, but she is 22 and thus getting faster. Me . . . sigh. Sad To be in a 22 year old body again. Not to be 22 though! Life is much better now. Big grin Bill I was not sure what to say about your post yesterday. Having somebody you know go like that cannot be easy. evanflein I am not sure if this will help, but sometimes despair and suicidal thoughts are something you grow out of. As a child I was very depressed and close to suicidal. It was bad enough that my parents sent me off for professional counseling (which did nothing to help). People who know me now cannot believe it as I am nearly always upbeat. I hope your DS1 comes to the same revelation I did that being happy or not is something you are because you decide to be and learns to love his life. The old joke he who dies with the most toys wins is flat out wrong. The winner is whoever spent as much time as they had available being happy. (End personal philosophical musings.) Ribs as does everybody else I am hoping for all the best for you. Be well.

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

King of PhotoShop

Twocat that is some nice pace so you are really rounding into form nicely. Well done. Today the Saint and I had the bright idea that we would walk together but this time bring Lucy the lazy 4 month old Sheltie. This was a mistake, since dogs need to get in shape to walk or run just as humans do. She would walk a bit, then sit in the shade. So we got in 2.7 in a time that was slower than a stroll but at least we were out doing something. Tomorrow I will go out to the lake and walk with my fellow clubmembers. Lazy dog. Spareribs

i'm lovin' it... MM#1949

Maine.. nice 10 miler and now 16 on schedule.. wow! Fjord dips are back! ahhh Buyer Beware I keep getting "free" mention (glorification) of my runs through SR's "special free trail offer". I see WRFB and PDR opted out quickly. I didn't read the "fine print". I am getting LESS comments on my runs and some major eye rolling. So I tried to get out and drop the service. This is where I encountered the "fine print". There is a substantial ongoing "discontinuation fee" imposed to stop mentioning the client's runs. This is highway robbery. I refuse to pay this. So when ever you see Ribs mention my runs, it's because I'm NOT paying him. I wonder if some Beer money is going his way?? 4 Magical Healing Miles with Tory in 37:51, AHR 144

Perch's Profile "I don't know if running adds years to your life, but it definitely adds life to your years." - Jim Fixx "The secret is to make in your mind possible what was not possible before. The secret is to make easy what was difficult, instead to make difficult what really is easy." - Coach Renato Canova

8 miles at a easy pace of 9:25 1:15 overall to start out the weekend for me. This is a back week for me so I skipped the MP Saturday run for this week and tomorrows long run will only be 10 miles. Twocat, Congrats on the race time. You are pretty impressive. I must say those are some weird distance races though. I also have to agree I would love to have my 22 year old body back but not my 22 year old brain or financial status. Holly, Way to use that free membership ! Way to stay in shape while healing. We all should learn from your comeback which will be soon I hope. Erika, I wish I could lose 4 pounds. Its ruff to lose and train as hard as we do so congrats to you and send me some losing vibes. Wink Have great runs today everyone Larry

Chumbawamba: I get knocked down But I get up again You're never going to keep me down

Dave59

Tough dualthon this morning. Started out with a random 11.3 mile run around the neighborhood. That's long for me. Then, with little time to recover, I ended up with baby duty. "A couple hours" ended up being 4 and now I am finally free, but hungry enough to eat a horse. So I am now on my way out to see if I can find a horse! (Actual run went well. Slow, but I wasn't dead at the end.)

Oh yeah....DAMNED YANKEES!!! Angry
                            How about hugs for me 'n mainerunnah? And a boot in the butt to Manny Confused Twocat--it was a bit of a long lunch, but I put in way over 40 hours a week and most of the rest of the office was taking a bit of a long lunch at a restaurant. Local half marathon to support CASA (Court Appointed Special Advocates) up in Spearfish Canyon early this morning in 1:35:50. They are a great group, volunteers who are assigned to be companions and voices for kids whose parents are going thru court cases based on charges of abuse or neglect of the kids. The kids often are in temporary foster homes, confused, angry--these folks meet with them, take them out, talk with them, make them feel noticed and then report to the court on their (the kids') perspective. Just before the race starts, the cop I cross examined yesterday comes up to me to chat about running (he was running, too). I like when that happens, hope it means we both recognize doing a job isn't personal. grins, A off to do shopping b/c Sox on TV! in a few hours.......
                            Masters 2000 miles
                            Tramps

Good runs today! Perch-- Big grin Schedule called for sleeping late and a rest day. Mission accomplished. Humidity's back; wish I had a fjord!

Be safe. Be kind.

I Can Go The Distance

12 mile LR for me today in 1:54:21 a 9:32 pace. My Garmin arrives on Monday so I will not do a wave run until next Saturday. What I did today was to warm-up for about three miles and then I alternated between hard and easy miles for the rest of the run. I think I have the miles marked out pretty well. It will be interesting to see if I am right when I get my Garmin. Have a great day everyone. Bruce

"Don't give up, don't ever give up." Jim Valvano