Masters Running

Tuesday, Oct. 21 Runs and Rests (Read 556 times)

Nice runnin' Bryger... rest day for me... HAPPY BIRTHDAY MARY!!!
    Looking for a place to Happen, making stops along the way - The Hip

Marathon Maniac #957

Breger - nice run!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

What a gorgeous run. My feet felt so light as I ran thru puddles and strewn leaves on the Cross Canada Trail just now. I felt amazing as the wind buffeted me and the rain fell fairly heavy on me. I did not feel tired, even as I sprinted at times close to sub 3 per k pace, what a feeling. The trail was devoid of anyone, no people and no animals, bereft of all things human. It reminded me of why I run in the first place. This feeling of total contentment as you feel the wind brush your face and you feel that all is possible. Not just in running but in life. Have a great day everyone Tall PS - Happy Birthday 80 year old Mary.

Recent Best times: None recently

DickyG

The family of a dead elderly woman cremated her remains on a makeshift barbeque and continued collecting her retirement check, amounting to more than $25,000 authorities in Northern California said. Ramona Allmond's daughter Kathleen Allmond, 50, and grandson, Tony Ray, 30 told investigators their relative died in December. They left her body on her bedroom floor for a week before cremating the remains in their backyard fire pit. The incident was reported by their neighbor Hank Hill who stated "they would have gotten away with the crime if they would have just used propane instead of charcoal..that charcoal just doesn't burn very clean." (NOTE: If this makes no sense, you need to start watching "King of the Hill" Sunday on Fox) Nancy: A huge "congrats" on your well-deserved honor! Tramps:
          I was in the dark the last couple of miles.
          No big deal...you're always in the dark a little. Perch: 6 miles at sub-8...definately back in the game. Have to admit, I'm not a big JT fan, but I could certainly have sit through that concert, especially if I was wearing a UVA tee. Mary: Hmm Hmm Hmm Hmm to you...(I forget the rest of the song) Bill: Now THAT's a tough run! Nice going. 4.1 miles of hills this morning in 36:35 (8:56). I think I'll run some easy miles Wed. & Thurs., rest Friday, then beat my arch-rival DeHart Saturday...I haven't beaten him in about 25 years...I'm overdue. Saturday's 10K is a community affair...less than 200 runners...they serve slices of pumpkin pie after the race. This is the 27th year and there are 2 of us who have run every one. DickyG
          wildchild

Carolyn

Happy Birthday, Mary! You've got a lot to celebrate! (except for your surgery and not running for 10 days - sorry to hear that, but it's a good a time to schedule it.) Tim, congrats on the 2000 miles, and enjoy taper madness. Perch, so glad to hear you had a good tempo-ish run with no calf soreness - so are you doing the marathon or not? Peter, good luck in your marathon next weekend! Why do they start in the dark? Why not just start later? Mariposai, congrats on your award! You're such an inspiration - where do you get all your energy? PDR - Your sailing trip with your dad sounded wonderful - you're so thoughtful for planning such a memorable event for him and the whole family. Holly, Sometimes it's smart to blow off the planned intervals and listen to your body - glad to hear you're not always too determined and stubborn! Wink Tramps, your description of a "tough PBJ sandwich" made me think of stale bread and dry peanut butter ... Yech! Happy Birthday, PBJ! Byll, nice intervals! I didn't run at all Sunday or Monday because of fasting on Sunday and a colonoscopy yesterday. They recommend one when you turn 50, and I put it off till I was 51... results were fine, so hopefully I don't need another for 10 years. Looking forward to a lunchtime run today!

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

Mariposai

What a gorgeous run. My feet felt so light as I ran thru puddles and strewn leaves on the Cross Canada Trail just now. I felt amazing as the wind buffeted me and the rain fell fairly heavy on me. I did not feel tired, even as I sprinted at times close to sub 3 per k pace, what a feeling. The trail was devoid of anyone, no people and no animals, bereft of all things human. It reminded me of why I run in the first place. This feeling of total contentment as you feel the wind brush your face and you feel that all is possible. Not just in running but in life..
              This is THE post of the day. You have a way with words speedy tall. Carolyn, I get my energy from running Wink

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

Happy Birthday Marathon Mary! Nice new avatar. I had a call from Brinkley - first it was taper madness, then he didn't get to race with you for the 26.2 and now this pending no elevated HR thing. Sez he wants to go visit his cousin Woody. Think he's plannning to use your credit card or frequent flyer miles. Better keep an eye on him.
                dg.

a quick post to say HI SKIP!! Smile
                  evanflein

Always fun to see Skip pop in! Hi Skip! Happy Birthday, Mary! And yes the basal cell thing is a drag but your timing is perfect. {{Brinkley}} I think we can take Perchcreek off the disabled list. Let Cindy take his place while she heals up that ankle. Nice run, Tall. I love that feeling of being all alone out there. You can have the rain running though... Good call Holly, no need to push it and the risk for re-injury sounds pretty high. Especially with the speedwork you want to do... isn't that when the original boo-boo happened? Nice runs for you too, Byll and Tramps! I'd love to run a PBJ special. It's been a long time... Getting anxious about my dr appt this afternoon. My mind is playing all the possible scenarios from "oh sure, we can fix this up," to "if you ever want to walk again, you've got to quit this running stuff!" Egads. I'll be a basket case by 3:15!
                      {{evanflein}} hoping all the best! I love James Taylor!! "In my mind I'm going to Carolina..." Had two amalgam fillings replaced today. Half my face is numb. DH asked if I was going to run after the appointment....I said of course! I drool when I run anyway! Happy Birthday Mary! Nice repeats Byll.

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

Marathon Maniac #957

then beat my arch-rival DeHart Saturday...I haven't beaten him in about 25 years...I'm overdue. Saturday's 10K is a community affair...less than 200 runners...they serve slices of pumpkin pie after the race. This is the 27th year and there are 2 of us who have run every one.
                        Very kewl!! We'll expect a race report.....and a slice of pie would be nice.... Smile

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Renee the dog

Enke, I find that a run helps me get rid of the novocaine and back to normal. Hope the same thing happens to you! Just got back from a 3 miler that was supposed to be all sand-- but the beach was flooded and what we had to run on was seriously spongy. So we did about 2/3 on beach and then ditched out to the roads. Everything hurt a little, which was expected Tongue, but once my knee got over feeling like it was going to explode (fixed by stopping and walking 3 steps wth?), all was enjoyable. Thanks for all the comments on the A.C. 1/2 thread. I will get back to it to answer comments this afternoon. Right now, I'm serving as a pillow for my younger child who apparently doesn't mind runner's stink. Dead

GOALS 2012: UNDECIDED

GOALS 2011: LIVE!!!

H.B. Mary! I agree with wildchild and evanflein good timing on the surgery. Time off post-marathon is actually a good thing and being forced to do it makes it easier. Ok, I admit it still seems like torture. Wink Good luck with a successful and uneventful operation. Sorry about not having time to reply to all the comments. These days I am having trouble finding the time to even read the daily. I scheduled in my last long run prior to the NYC Marathon for today. I ended up doing 18.34 miles. Slow but I did it. I figured that after nearly two weeks of either not running or recovery running, well except for Sunday's race Big grin, I needed a long run to make sure my body was ready for the marathon. About Sunday's race: 2nd in my AG! My first, and no doubt only, trophy for the year! Let us hear it for small fields where the really fast people do not show up! Hip, hip . . .

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

Marathon Maniac #957

About Sunday's race: 2nd in my AG! My first, and no doubt only, trophy for the year!
                              Congratulations!!

Mariposai

Congrats twocats on your AG win and hardware. It is fun to cherry pick them races, isn't it Wink. Have fun in NY. One of this days I will get in their list. Evil grin. It is a must race for me. Is it 3:15 yet? I can't wait to hear Erika's DR. report.

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard