Masters Running

Wednesday Jan. 20 Master Runs, Workouts, and avoiding the Weather (Read 541 times)

Erika, that is a lot of cooking and saving!

I love almost all seafood, I will even eat pickled herring, octopus and other unidentified fishy things.

We have no rain today, and it was up to 58F.  Still unseasonably warm and I'm not complaining.   I did a 4 mile easy run that felt anything but easy, the hills were too steep and the wind was always in my face.  Legs felt trashed in a half good half bad way.

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

Great photo, Mary. All this talk about chowder and chicken soup is making me hungry. Well, sort of. Don't know if it's post vacation blahs or I'm coming down with something, but I actually shut my alarm off this morning and went back to bed. Didn't do a thing except go to work and I still feel yucky. Just got home, put on some jammies and I'm ready to call it a day.

((( Sue and Deb ))) and anyone else who's hurting right now. And to our west coast posters, batten down the hatches! It sounds like the wind and rain are unbelievable right now.

I did get some good news today. Disney sent me an e-mail, told me they checked my bib # with photos and saw me cross the finish at 2:13:35. I'll have an official time, even if it's 13 minutes slower than I was hoping for!

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

ps mary - the halibut looks real but how lucky to find any water in Southeast Alaska

so smooth as glass, . . . to say nothing of all the sunshine?

pps - could you post the waterfall one again?

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

evanflein

I know, that picture Mary posted shows an unusually gorgeous day in SE Alaska! And we'll be cooking halibut for years from the trips DH took last year. I think if he says he wants to go halibut fishing again I'll nail his little toes to the freezer!!

I lurves me some pickled herring. My kids, oddly enough, also love it. I guess it's what they grow up eating. My dad, second generation Swede, absolutely loves the stuff so we grew up with it, didn't think anything of it. When my friends would see me eat it they'd get so grossed out. My boys have eaten it since they were babies. They called it "hairy pickles" and so we all call it that now. But DS1 won't eat potatoes. Says they're gross. Go figure. My husband's Germanic roots are so disappointed.

10 minutes on the elliptical for a warm up, then 35 minutes of upper body weights. Whew!

{{soggy dedicated Leslie}}

wildchild

Carolyn

Leslie, way to stick it out for 10 in the rain, and nice that someone noticed how tough you are!

So much food talk today...  well, I guess we talk about food every day around here.   Running just seems to go with being hungry all the time!

My MRI visit yesterday took forever - I even fell asleep for a while when I was lying in the machine, even though it's really LOUD.  I won't know the results till my doctor visit next Monday, but my left leg and right foot are both feeling very much better with all this time off, so I'm hopeful that if I don't have a SF I can start running again soon.  Heading to the gym after work.

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

Maniac 505

Lots of seafood today,  I spent the morning chasing Rock fish with a net.  Had we caught any, they would not have let us eat them.  We were trying to catch some of the pregnant ones.  Fisheries does research with them, and returns them after they lay their eggs.  Alas,  today the fish swam better then we did.

Thanks for the weather Enke,  did 10 miles today.

Mari.  sometimes You just have to take some time off.  Glad you slept in

Dave

Manchild

so many great posts!  Good evening!  It was a very interesting day here in the great northeast.  A little of everything, sun, rain, snow flurries, etc.  By the time I got home from work my feet were a little cold but I headed out at ten past 4 and ran an older route of mine that incorporates both trail and road.  The trail was "smushy" in some areas which would cause me to move to higher ground periodically.  Almost all the snow is gone!  35 degrees and overcast during my 5.1 mile run, I think I averaged about 9:50 per mile which is on the slow side for me but I was content!

I like the references to Spring being just around the corner!  

Best to all,

Chris

King of PhotoShop

So no one has killed him yet, despite my plea? Oh well.

Let me share something that lit me up today.  Remember how we all miss ThunderBolter's wonderful way with words?  Well, he has just finished designing my new website for my business and posted this message on my old site, saying that you can either "click here" or  just wait and "you will be automagically transported to the new site."  That guy is amazing.  Spareribs

Maniac 505

Kewl,  ribs,  How about a link?

i'm lovin' it... MM#1949

Mary- nice fish'n pic up Erika way.

Wild.. usually by the time you get an MRI, the injury is healed Smile

Jlynne.... congrats on the official time!!!

I had my Post-Op PT today and the PT guy said he was amazed at my progress so far in terms of lack of soreness, range of motion and strength (and walking without a limp). (I started doing some self PT on day one based on what I read on the internet.. guess it worked). He said Spinning is good for the knee at low resistance and high rpm.

So after PT I did 10 min spinning at 110 rpm (AHR 155) then a 2 mile walk with the dogs and DD2 (Spring day to day high in the 60's! The knee feels much better today.

Perch's Profile "I don't know if running adds years to your life, but it definitely adds life to your years." - Jim Fixx "The secret is to make in your mind possible what was not possible before. The secret is to make easy what was difficult, instead to make difficult what really is easy." - Coach Renato Canova

Not a lot to report on my end.  DW is going to take me to Vegas for my birthday.  Normally we go skiing but with my leg that is out.    But I do like Vegas.   So all is not lost!

I need to talk my DW into running more if she is serious about the HM.  I wrote to the BAA asking them if I can donate my bib to a charity a few weeks ago.  No reply as yet.  I suspect I will never get one.

I owe one of my class member's a reply to their last email which I seem to have lost.  So if you sent me a note please send it again and I will get back to you.

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

Mariposai

twocat, great news!!! Can I send you $20 to gamble for my wings? A Vegas trip for a B-day sounds like a lot of fun.

Hey, can i volunteer to train the one gorgeous and sweet Mrs twocat for her first HM?

2 miles of total walking during my two breaks I MUST take two breaks a day I have been told....it is funny working for a state government is so different. In my past gig I never even had time for lunch.

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

So no one has killed him yet, despite my plea? Oh well.

In six more days, you could launch your own Tet Offensive, since you find Tet offensive.

(Sorry Tet: I couldn't walk away from that one.)

TM intervals this evening, 2X3200, 1X1600, WU/WD, 8 miles, 'bout an hour....62:13

In the spring I like to make a mussel chowder with sorrel leaves and tarragon....it's yummy and bright green. But you can't make it in a crock pot.

Hmmm. I don't have a crock pot. I do like to simmer things, I just don't have a crock pot. When I make a beef or lamb stew I always add a strip of orange peel and a sprig of rosemary to the pot. Use a carrot peeler to get the zest from the orange. Yummy.

Walt

Maniac 505

Twocat, I expect to take a trip to vegas this year,  If you want any show recommendations, I can name a few.  I haven"t seen Cher yet, but I think she will be my nest tri[.

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

thanks walt. I need all the help I can get.

he's already killed off two of my other allies so be careful.

no particular reason, but could you bequeath me one of your 5 or 10k times?

ps - divechief, does cher make you a little giddy?

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)