Masters Running

Jan. 12 Race inspired runs and whatever (Read 453 times)

Hey slo_hand, yep I'm from the Des Moines suburbia. It is snowing pretty steady right now, started around 7AM. Supposed to start blowing this evening. Will be interesting tomorrow. Hopefully it's just over-exaggerated like sometimes. Unfortunately, I do not have a treadmill or gym, so it's outside or nuttin. Tramps, I went back to read yesterday's post...pretty awesome. Having just visited DC for the first time this summer it was cool to hear your description.

i'm lovin' it... MM#1949

Nice one Breeger!! Tim... great news!...my injuries do that too, just end after 6-8 weeks no matter the treatment. Holly's did too. Usually when I get a leg or foot injury it is hard to hop or kick. Now, I check every now and then by hopping a few times and kicking and see if anything is sore. Today nothing was sore (after yestrerday's 20 miler). 3 Magical Healing Miles with Tory in 31:00 (10:20 pace, AHR 134). 28F and bundled.

Perch's Profile "I don't know if running adds years to your life, but it definitely adds life to your years." - Jim Fixx "The secret is to make in your mind possible what was not possible before. The secret is to make easy what was difficult, instead to make difficult what really is easy." - Coach Renato Canova

Slo

"Do you find that on some pairs of shoes the laces keep coming loose? I have some pairs like that, and have had to double knot them to keep them from coming undone during the day. Then I read this article in Runner's World about something called an Ian Knot. I doubt I will use it instead of a double knot while running, but I have been using it on my walking around shoes. It takes a bit to get the knack but it is actually pretty easy to tie and it works great! If you have some shoes that come undone during the day I highly recommend giving this thing a shot. Just work on it for a day or two and you will get it. The original article had diagrams. The diagrams are useful but I think more useful after you watch this youtube video that shows you (way too quickly) how to tie the thing" Twocat I've been using the Ian Knot since I read that article. I never thought re-learning to tie shoes could be so difficult. Actually it's undoing the 40 years of tying a different way. For the record......I have stopped double knotting and only had to stop to re-tie once and that was due to an improperly tied Ian knot.
        Slo

Hey slo_hand, yep I'm from the Des Moines suburbia. It is snowing pretty steady right now, started around 7AM. Supposed to start blowing this evening. Will be interesting tomorrow. Hopefully it's just over-exaggerated like sometimes. Unfortunately, I do not have a treadmill or gym, so it's outside or nuttin. Tramps, I went back to read yesterday's post...pretty awesome. Having just visited DC for the first time this summer it was cool to hear your description.
          I have a Sister in Ankeny and a Brother in Ames. I missed the Living History Farms XC race this year and every year I say I'm going to do the Dam to Dam but some how manage to come up busy that week end too.
            I've been watching for Franc's ultra report. It should be a good one. spareribs, congrats on your 5K race and to The Saint on her 15K with big PR. nono, good job on the PR simulated 5K. teresa, your son did great. Congratulations to him. dg, you've been showing a lot of progress lately. Don't overdo it. Tramps, I read the report of your run through DC this morning and was impressed. A little later, the news covered the "dress rehearsal" and I kept thinking, "I know someone who ran through that and I already know all about it". bike, I'm glad your foot felt well and you got in a "test run". You were very smart to make it a short one and not push it. HandyMom, I hope the foot doctor's suggestions for your ankle resolves the problem. Nice long runs for Twocat, runningindc, jules, nono (and PR week), Ilene, srlopez (bridle trail run), Peter (with hills), perch, WRFB, holly, enke, evryday (and part with mrsday), PDR (with fall on ice - I hope you're ok), breger, and SLO. This morning, the temp was about 12 and it was calm. The roads still have (and probably will until spring the way it looks) packed snow/ice so it was another day with the Yaks. I got in 8 miles in about 1:21 for a 10:07 pace. I'm sure not looking forward to the temperature drop and more snow that is predicted and that some of you are already experiencing. A good day and good runs for all. TomS
              I have a Sister in Ankeny and a Brother in Ames. I missed the Living History Farms XC race this year and every year I say I'm going to do the Dam to Dam but some how manage to come up busy that week end too.
              I ran the Dam to Dam 5K last year...fun. I have a secret desire to run the whole thing this year, but have to wait to see if I can properly train for it. I've never run that far before. I also haven't done the Living History Farms XC one yet, but looks like fun. I would need to have much stronger ankles for that one.
              evanflein

Packing up and heading out for the airport soon. Return trip takes us from Orlando, thru Houston, to Seattle, to Anchorage (insert 6 hour layover here), then to Fairbanks. Gotta love the cross-country travel day(s). Seems like our timing is perfect though... cool, damp and cloudy here, and warming up nicely at home to about -20 or so by tomorrow morning. It's all relative, ya know?
                  Tramps, your report from yesterday put a big smile on my face. Smile Twokitty - gee, I thought your name would be Morris, now I'm devastated. I also read that Runner's World article thinking it would be so lame, but it wasn't. I now always do Ian knot on my running shoes and have had no untying! It really is faster to do than the regular way once you get into it. No double knotting again. Tim - that report also put a Smile on my face. Teresa....wow...your son has some talent!!! And so wonderful that he was talking about his race for 2 hours! Rest day. Ran over 40 miles last week after only 15 mile per week average the preceeding 3 weeks. Near the end of the week, my legs were getting quite dead of course, but I just slowed my runs down, and yesterday's 12 miler which I expected to be a long drag was fairly peppy. I feel I could run again today (would be 7th day in a row!), but that would be silly. I fully endorse recovery paced runs! (thanks Perch!) I start slow, then force myself to go even slower a few times during the run, and the next day I feel awesome.

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

King of PhotoShop

My first exposure to that knot was when I was talking to Frank Shorter at the White Rock expo and Riblet's shoe was untied. Shorter tied it for him and showed him how to do the knot. I was impressed! Tim that is very encouraging. I know I don't have to tell you to be careful now. Everyone here will be watching. In retrospect I probably shouldn't have taken last week off from running. I should have just cut it back a bit and stepped up the exercises, because that is what is helping me most right now. Today I ran for 44 minutes and then did core work for the same length of time. Nono and Twocat have given me something to think about. I am going to switch out my office chair for something firmer. Hadn't thought of that. Spareribs
                      Morning ~ I need to go back and review the posts from the weekend, but it sounds like everyone's doing good. Tim - Congrats on the ankle. I was very happy to read that you plan to not run for another 2-3 weeks. You've definitely learned "patience" during this whole experience, haven't you? I definitely felt my trail run on Saturday and this morning's little 3-miler after not running for almost 2 weeks. Legs of concrete. Bleck! Dead Hopefully, I'm able to get back into the swing of things quickly as this is the week I'm suppose to start kicking up the training for the Pirates Cove 30k trail run in March. However, I have a Dr appt on Wednesday, and if he says the gall bladder has to go, I have feeling Pirates Cove will be out the window for this year. Sad

Leslie
                      Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                      -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

PBJ

Marathon Iowa 2014

This group is quite inspiring...wish I could add to it, but I still haven't run since Thursday. Today it was 4 sets of fizzy lifting, 20 minutes on the eclectical, and an hour of spin cycle. Th instructor wants us to do a virtual race on Feb. 11th. She wants us to wear our colors...what is this, gang spinning? I don't even own a bike shirt. At least she asked for one or two music selections from each of us. I requested Du Hast by Rammstein and Ant Music by Adam Ant. Strange requests, but I think they can be spun to. I won't tell her what the lyrics of Du Hast translate to.
                        TammyinGP

rest day for me, so normally I wouldn't post, but since Tim's AT is feeling better, I had to pop in and say "YAY!" Big grin I'm so very glad to hear that. . . . you do know however, that the reason you got a cold was to prevent you from trying to run again and ruin things. Glad you got in that 1/2 mile though - I know that was a big picker-upper for you Wink

Tammy

Opened up the daily thread today to see Tim's fantastic news! There is a light at the end of the tunnel now. You just have to patient for a few more weeks and take it nice and slow coming back. I am so happy for you! Add me to those anxiously awaiting Franc's RR on the 50K through mud and poop. It's going to be a good one!
                            Nono and Twocat have given me something to think about. I am going to switch out my office chair for something firmer. Hadn't thought of that.
                            I highly recommend getting an office chair that offers more support. I switched mine when I went through my first, and worst, bout of piriformis syndrome. I'm certain that my office chair was contributing to the problem. I now use a chair with a saddle seat and it has helped immensely. Sitting can, indeed, contribute to hip and butt problems. Handymom, good luck with the foot. It's good that it's feeling better already and you have a good course of action. That is half the battle. I ran an easy 3 miles on the TM today and did an hour of pilates, plus rehab exercises for the knee. I'm committing to 8 weeks of those plus 8 weeks of glucosamine/chondroitin to see if I can once and for all get rid of my knee issues. It has been feeling better on my runs. I was hoping to do a 13 mile wave run yesterday, but woke up late and only had time to squeeze in 9 miles. Rather than bag it entirely, I ran 2 easy miles, 1 MP mile (7:19) and 2 Tempo miles (6:50), plus two easy miles cooldown. Aside from some digestive issues (2 pitstops during easy miles), I felt pretty good doing this run. I did have a difficult time running the first two miles slow. I will have to work on it as I could only manage an 8:05 pace.

Once a runner . . .

lamerunner

Greetings! More snow here in NH. No real change on the sciatica, though rest has helped some. I ran a slow 6 on snowy rail trail and XC trails on Saturday between my Dd's two ski race runs; it was only mildly painful until I slipped on soft snow, no fall but just enough to pull on my butt/back. Ouch. Very pretty area; she was racing at Blackwater/Proctor Academy in Andover, NH. They lost power at 9:15 am so after the inital course inpsection, the skiers had to hike for each race run, skis over the shoulder and for the second run, it was "inspection by ascent ." Gave the race a different atmosphere, kind of like the old days. The small generator was used just to run the timing equipment. In other workouts, I did 80 minutes/20k of elliptical Friday, plus some light abs and stretching, yesterday just worked a ski race and watched my son; I skiied a little. Today it was 60 minutes of Spin cycling early this morning then a 1500 yard swim at lunch. Great news Tim! Hang in there.
                                Add me I did have a difficult time running the first two miles slow. I will have to work on it as I could only manage an 8:05 pace.
                                One person's (enke's) fastest mile is another's slowest! I love it! You are awesome jd!

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."