Masters Running

Thursday 9.20.18 (Read 41 times)

No Steve? No Jay? Oh oh! No witty recaps from me, just getting the day started.

Raining here AGAIN this morning. Off to the Y for 30 minutes on the elliptical and 30 minutes on the treadmill followed with 30 minutes of weights and core.

I bought a pair of Hoka's yesterday and I'm anxious to try them out. Does anyone have any pros or cons on these? I'm sure they're going to make my hamstring/butt feel soooo much better

Happy vacations to Leslie and Steve!

...jylnne//.....I have some Hoka Bondi's

and I LOVE them,,

,,,,,,,,,,,Super Thick Cushion (2-inches)

and

Super Impact Absorption

your Feet will think they Died and Went To Foot-Heaven

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

spacityrunner

Taken from a post I made on FB.  Skip over if you've want to 

So my knee has been a "pain" since May. Ya"ll have endured my whining graciously. I have tried P/T, chiropractic, ART, and acupuncture. I was on Meloxicam for 2 months. While the pain decreased somewhat my mobility was still limited so off to the ortho I went. MRI shows a tear in the meniscus and severe arthritis. I am not worried about the arthritis but the tear...well lets get that taken care of. I get myself an appointment for the next day! All they can talk about is the arthritis. Now you just wait one minute here doc...I'm here for the tear. UH...your knee doesn't hurt at the location of the tear. Your knee hurts where the arthritis is most severe. 
        WHAT ..WHAT...What...REALLY...ok...put the brakes on and change hats   We have not ruled out arthroscopic surgery in the future but we agreed that the best course of action for now is a steroid shot to calm the knee down. I can resume activity this weekend...if the pain goes away...well, theres my answer (for now)...Talk about a 360...whew...see you on the streets and trails!!!

Being able to hang out here while this gets figured out is great!!  I am not giving up!!!

Trails Rock!

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone.

I've heard from a fair number of people who really like Hoka's, but I have no experience with them.

Tomwhite, where will the rest of my body go??

Yikes, Spacityrunner! Wel, I'm glad your doc could tell you what is causing the pain and (hopefully) provide a solution for that. Yeah - what a 360!

The orthopod said this morning that I have 'posterior tibialis tendon dysfunction,' whatever the heck that means. I've know for decades that I have a weak (fallen?) arch on my right foot, so that may be a laymen's description of the issue. The treatment plan is to get orthotics to provide better support, and to do some PT to strengthen the muscles/tendons in the ankle. He also gave me a more serious ankle brace to wear as much as I can. So the diagnosis isn't as bad as I feared, and the treatment is very manageable, and I like it because it is noninvasive. I have an app't tomorrow morning with a local firm (that is also a sponsor of our road race series) to get fitted for orthotics. Meanwhile, I have to try to get back on the roads 'cause I have a few races coming up that, smartly or not, I still want to try to do.

Have a greta Thursday - and last day of summer?

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Jay- glad you have some answers and the treatment isn't too bad.

JLynne-  What Hokas did you get?  The different models are quite different.  I love many models and have tried most of them (I have a shoe addiction), but my favorites are Clifton 5, Bondi 6 and Arahi (2 is the newest model).   Bondi is the bulkiest and most cushioned, and the Bondi 6 feels lighter. Clifton has a new 5 out with a knit upper that is really great.    Elevon is a firmer feel and Tracer is a lighter, faster shoe (I haven't tried it but my son likes it).     I think Hoka is a lifesaver for older, fragile runners in particular.

3.5 miles this morning.  Butt/hamstring doing really pretty well but top of left foot is still bothering me.  Have a sports doc visit today and I'll present this newest issue to him.  No way is a needle going into my foot.  I'll just say that right now.

2.2 miles on the treadmill after work and after my mid-day sports doc appt.  He thinks (and I agree) that my hamstring tendinopathy is a while lot better.  I barely notice it running these days.  The foot pain appears to be the result of calf tightness.  It sure didn't feel good as he worked on that!  I have some stretches to do.

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

TammyinGP

Hello,

all of the 'have a great trip Leslie and Tammy" messages from yesterday almost make me feel like I'm taking my vacation with Leslie. Oh, wouldn't that be fun!   Just a quick little getaway weekend for me and DH though. Tower of Power and Average White Band on Saturday evening at an outdoor venue at Sonoma State University.   I'll see Leslie in mid October though when my guest and I drive down to see her and some real big trees. 

trying to get several things wrapped up today so I can leave tomorrow and not worry 'bout a thang . . see ya!

Tammy

anneb

No run for me this AM (slept in w/the cat on my head), so I'll try for some treadmill miles tonight. It's supposed to be 90 today!

As far as Hokas go - a lot of people love them. I've tried 4 or 5 models over the years and they have all been ill fitting. The latest one I tried was the Hupana 2 - way too narrow in the forefoot but a big heel which meant my sock was immediately eaten by the shoe. Those I didn't even run in! The others I've tried were Tracer, Kailu, both had that narrow forefoot. I have a pair of Clayton 2's which I might need to try again, those fit decent.

Anne

C-R

Hey everyone. No run yet but will in an hour for lunch.

Good luck spacity. I had a scope on the meniscus a couple of years back for a tear. Mine did hurt in that location. Easy surgery but do the PT! I didn't and it kept me off the roads for extra time. That is if you get the surgery.

Hokas - I had a pair of Cliftons. Don't run in the anymore. They were fine but I received no feedback from the road and my form deteriorated which made me worry about injury. That's just me. I do walk in them all the time and they are comfortable. Just not good for me and my running. They are pricey but I found some great deals on Ebay.

Good to hear Jay and Karen,

I went to PT yesterday for my bursa swelling. that's from a hard fall on trails two weeks ago. He worked me over something good but we made progress. DW saw the bruises from the cupping and said it looked like when I played soccer and got kicked. Heh. What we won't do to continue our running.

Cheers.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
                  "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

Henrun

3 miles this cool morning I was doing a circuitous, rambling route and suddenly Marj appeared. As usual she found me by the app “find my phone” since we both carry our phones with us though we don’t listen to music en route (street sounds and silence are preferable).

I once tried on  Hokas but found they changed my gait and decided not to get them.

I bought a pair of Hoka's yesterday and I'm anxious to try them out. Does anyone have any pros or cons on these? I'm sure they're going to make my hamstring/butt feel soooo much better

I went Hoka when I had PF. I bought the Stinson ATR and stuck in some aftermarket insoles (Sole Dean Karnazes). They allowed me to keep running while I healed up. Heavy, clunky and stiff, but I could run. Then had a few pairs of Challengers and another pair of Stinson. Only complaint at the time was the very tight fit that Hoka is notorious for. I think of the Stinson and Bondi as more of "active orthopedic" shoes, great for healing up and maybe recovery runs. For us old people, that cushion alleviates a lot of little issues. The other Hokas seem to have taken a downturn in recent years; Clifton, Challenger, etc. becoming heavier and less cushioned. Like a broken record, I'm going to praise the Skechers GoRun Ultra Road2 shoes as the best thing out there for daily road runs. I'm planning on picking up a pair of Stinson ATR4 pretty soon, though.

60-64 age group  -  University of Oregon alumni  -  Irreverent and Annoying

evanflein

Now I have a pair of Hoka Cavu and I find they run big. I ordered a size 11 (my standard if I don't know the fit) and they were way too big. Exchanged for a 10.5 (same size as my Saucony Kinvara 8's) and they still seemed a little big, but didn't want to do the mail exchange thing again. Put in a pair of insoles (I think these were the Nike cushion insoles) I stole from another pair of shoes, and they fit better but still feel roomy. I like to wear them for my regular "bread and butter" and recovery type runs. Very comfy, just too roomy for trails I think. Nice and light and roomy toe box, great for after a tough marathon that's hard on the toes. Smile

I should try a pair of those shoes Surly Bill likes. How do they run size-wise?

Like a broken record, I'm going to praise the Skechers GoRun Ultra Road2 shoes as the best thing out there for daily road runs.

I've read on this forum that the GoRuns are great, light shoes. I'm having a very hard time finding them here. None of the locally-owned stores carry them. I got the Bondi, which seems pretty light. And I have a very narrow foot so they fit nice and snug. The only thing is the store where I bought them will not let you bring them back if you wear them outside. And just reading some of your posts about how they changed your gait has me a little nervous. I've worn Saucony Triumph's forever. Maybe I'll just play it safe and swap the Hokas out for them. At $150/pair, you really want to like them and make sure they're a good fit!

Thanks for the feedback.

Marathon Maniac #957

but a big heel which meant my sock was immediately eaten by the shoe.

That would drive me crazy.

Not sure about shoes with massive cushion - I think I might trip over myself a lot.

Jay and Spacity and C-R and anyone with owies - hope they heal up quickly.

I have a very complicated Medicaid case that has been pending since April with a caseworker who is unresponsive.  When I finally copied her supervisor in an email that basically said, "this has been pending too long, and 10 days between emails and responses is too much, let's get this done," she denied my case.  I immediately fired back (copying in both of our bosses) that I have asked on 3 separate occasions for us to schedule a telephone conference to go over the case and work out the details, and she has not responded.  "This would have been so much easier if we could have spent 30 minutes on the phone going over the case.  I am refiling immediately and also filing for a State Hearing."

Within an hour her supervisor took the case over.  He is working out the details with me today.  It is very stressful to have to drop everything and spend 3 hours combing through the details of a case that is 5 months old, disproving the caseworker's numbers one by one and providing documentary evidence (and there is always that fear that I may have missed something), but it is immensely satisfying when I confirm that the client was indeed eligible in April.  Ha!

6.1 miles for me this morning in 70 degrees, followed by about 15 minutes of weights.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

I would try the Hokas.  I do get 1/2 size smaller than my other brands of running shoes.  I'm 7 1/2 street shoe, 8 Hoka, 8 1/2 all other running shoes.  I get a really big discount on my shoes from RoadRunnerSports.com, so never pay close to $150, but I also like to support the local running stores.  If you have Bondi 6, I think you will like it.

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

...Spacity ///............be sure and let The Injury tell YOU how much it wants to exercise

,,,,,,,,,,it has Other Ways of getting your attention if you don't

=================

Speaking Of-

94-degrees

45-min HH at soccerfields, 1-3s

hamstring wasn't happy

so I cut it short

.......Good Running to Ya...................hoping jay winds up where his Feet Go..........

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....