Masters Running

Mondaily (Thanks you all) 11/22 (Read 35 times)

bioguy

I was flabbergasted and speechless to open the forum Sunday and see Saturday's chatter! I am a little embarrassed to be the center of attention when i am so slow, but I want to tell you all how appreciative I am that you took time out of your day to check in on me.

Mrs Buo had some worrisome moments as well when the RaceJoy app stopped showing here where I was or predicting where I was or that I would not beat the cutoffs; a fair number of folks did not make it in time. One guy I was chatting with frequently online before the race got pulled at mile 42.

Anyway I am truly grateful to be part of this group.

Race report is finally posted; yes, I do need to get my priorities straight. I went to my grandson's birthday party 2 hours away from home yesterday. Should have been typing that report!

OK- in the words of Mike, Gotta go!

Have a greta Monday!

BTY

Race report is finally posted; yes, I do need to get my priorities straight. I went to my grandson's birthday party 2 hours away from home yesterday. Should have been typing that report!

Superhuman.

BTY

2,550 yards in the pool today, started at 5:30 AM and done by a little after 6:30.   No speed work, just getting used to swimming very early in the morning again.   I fell asleep last night around 7:45 after struggling to stay awake while DW cut our neighbor's hair in the kitchen.   Once she finally walked home I went off to bed with the plan of waking up around 4:00 to be finished with the workout before 6:45 so I could report to Work from Home by 7:00.   But I set my alarm for 6:00 just in case I really needed the sleep that badly.   As it worked out I was up at 4:05 and well rested after more than 8 hours of sleep for the first time in I can't tell you how long.  Wow!

I had some leaky goggle issues during the first few laps of swimming the pull-only breaststroke, and my times for all three strokes were a bit slower than usual due to that, due to being in a lane next to a wall, and probably just due to it being 5:30 AM.  But the good news is that the lanes were not super busy and in fact there was only one other swimmer in the pool when I got there.  I was prepared to wait or to share a lane. That was never an issue, and Monday mornings tend to be the busiest times in the pool, going by my memory of pre-Covid times.

I challenged myself on the underwater dolphin kick drills.   I would recommend these for anyone who is using swimming as a cross-training vehicle.   Watch a YouTube video of your choice on how to do them, but don't worry about whether you look like one of the swimmers in the video when you do them.  Just push off the wall, get into your best streamline position with your arms straight out sort of behind your ears (if you can) and try doing a few dolphin (butterfly) kicks under water, then swim however you like (freestyle, breaststroke, doggie-paddle, whatever) until you get to the other end of the pool.  Rest a bit to get your breath back, then repeat.   I'm finding these to be a fantastic core workout.  I've only been doing these for about a week and I can already see the difference in my abs and obliques.

2550 yards is 1.45 miles, just short of the 1.5 miles I'm trying to average each workout.   I'm currently under 8 miles behind the pace bunny in order to reach my goal of 220 miles for the year.  I'm just under 190 miles, and have 30 miles to go between now and December 31.  It feels very doable today.  6 weeks at 5 miles per week - just stay healthy, baby.

BTY

Dave59

Congratulations again Bio, and thanks for starting us out today.

I ran an easy 3 around the neighborhood this morning.

Yesterday, the Bills lost badly in the afternoon, and then the Sabres lost in the evening when they allowed a goal with 0.4 seconds left in the game.  Fortunately, in-between the games I finished up a book I had been reading called "The Happiness Trap".  So I was fully equipped to deal with my negative thoughts through a diffusion technique, and then my feelings of frustration through an expansion technique.  I then took a positive action with one of my values (being well rested) and I went to bed.  

Today's Speed Bump comic is a good one:

https://scontent-ort2-2.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t39.30808-6/258843874_10226035258843566_4354917171071992593_n.jpg?_nc_cat=104&ccb=1-5&_nc_sid=730e14&_nc_ohc=djXDp9osjysAX_nrMce&_nc_ht=scontent-ort2-2.xx&oh=695e5e324a86b6038b11a9ef01b5c086&oe=61A0598B

Marathon Maniac #957

Howdy folks.

40 minutes of weights and core today.

Carry on..........

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Tramps

Thanks for the start, bioguy.  I'm just glad I didn't have to go look for you.

tet--See? You never know what can happen. I'm often wrong on hockey predictions but I think I nailed that "out of gas" comment.  I just watched the first period but they were clearly working on fumes; no legs at all. Also, If a team is missing so many forwards that it needs to double-shift a defenseman to play wing, they are probably not going to win.

I've got a long to-do list today and if I was going to run it needed to be first thing this morning, so I risked some iffy weather...and lost.  Cold rain started while I was out there and I just cut it short. 3.6 miles today. Brrrr.

Heading out for the week to provide whatever support I can to TriBee in her hospice work with her mother. It'll be a very unusual holiday, I'm afraid. Catch you on the other side.

Be safe. Be kind.

coastwalker

Mornin' Masters.

Thanks for the start, Bioguy, and CONGRATS on a phenomenal 50! Very impressive, especially considering that it was your first. You are forgiven for putting the birthday party ahead of the RR.

Great job on an early workout, BTY. The underwater dolphin kicks sound challenging but rewarding, and there's nothing wrong with that.

Good run, Dave, and good work on the positive action last night.

Nice workout, Holly. Coupla' more days?

Sorry about the rain, Tramps. I caught some too. And I'm sorry you and Tribee will have a different Thanksgiving this year, but good on you both for taking care of her mother.

After last night's rain, and before I headed out this morning, I checked the local weather, and it said it was going to be dry for at least the next hour. Not. My first 3 miles were dry, but the next 3 were not, and I was pretty well soaked and chilled by the time I got back. My hamstring continues to nag, so I've been just walking (no racewalking) every day since last Thursday. But I was walking pretty quickly once the rain started this morning. Fortunately, the hamstring didn't complain 'cause it knew I was only trying to get it home and dry and warm.

Have a greta Monday.

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Thanks, bioguy.  Jay- that sounds miserable.  Wet and chilled....

4.8 miles on very tired legs for me.  A little breezy, but not too bad.  Have a few things to do today but nothing earth shattering.  Getting by.  I guess the Monkey went off without a hitch. This and last year were the first years that I haven't had heavy involvement either as a runner and/or helper pre race and during.  I just couldn't manage it this year and last year was COVID.

Steve- I think the unemployment process is just really slow.  It's the government.  I suspect my employer was a little slow in providing the requested information, but I would be shocked if they are opposing my application.  I'll get a nice arrears check once it all processes.

Catch y'all later.

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

Marathon Maniac #957

I think in Ohio you are not able to collect unemployment until you have been out of work for 3 weeks...

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Henrun

Zoom stretching and weights this morning. I’ve been trying to alternate run days with walking and core exercises to spare my bad knee and it seems to be working.

I’ve become a minor celeb of sorts. We went to a college museum yesterday and the docent asked me if I’m the runner/walker she sees all the time in our town. And I was wearing a mask.

A little over 30 min of core/ST for me this a.m. 

I’ve become a minor celeb of sorts. We went to a college museum yesterday and the docent asked me if I’m the runner/walker she sees all the time in our town. And I was wearing a mask.

Thanks for the start, Bio.  How're the legs feeling today?

Dave - Love the comic, and your comments about the book - 

Tet - Do you by chance know of may medical malpractice attorneys who practice in WA?   I'm inquiring for my nephew and his wife.  A month or so ago, she went into the hospital for bariatric bypass surgery, was having  some major intestinal issues after surgery, so they decided to go back in and see what the problem might be.  They did a spinal block on her, and evidently introduced a bacteria into her spine that attacked her nervous system and now she's in a wheelchair and may never walk again.  She's 28 yo.  It's my understanding from my SIL that the hospital has acknowledged it's their fault.  She's finally convinced her son and DIL that they need to talk to attorney about this.

It's a short work week, and I'm celebrating by wearing dress jeans to work all 3 days.  I dare someone to say anything to me about it since almost all the attorneys dress less than professional unless they have to go to court. 

Enjoy ~~

Leslie
                        Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                        -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Holly- in TN you are eligible right away as long as you didn't get vacation pay.

Thanks for the start, ultra-bio!

Is this someone that you've been stalking, henrun? 

Horrible about your nephew's wife, Leslie. No lawsuit in the world though will ever make up for becoming a paraplegic.

Tramps, my comment about indoor biking was just in reference to my road bike and not my hybrid or e-bike. This is just not a suitable area for road biking and is not getting any better with today's impaired/distracted drivers all over the place. What I've mainly used it for the last 10 years and more is for going on multi-day organized/supported bike tours in other parts of the state and country. Unfortunately those days may have come to an end for me since I'm not confident that my back could take all those back-to-back riding days. I could do it with an e-bike, but I'm also getting tired of having to do them alone with most everyone else younger and/or in couples.

Speaking of indoor riding, I did two rides this morning. The first was a 4.5 mile easy warmup ride (that I rode faster than I should have) and the second was a 10.9 mile ride on Sweden Road in Maine (which looks a lot like northern Michigan). I had underestimated the difficulty of the route and could probably have done better with better pacing. This was the weekly Fulgaz "Challenge Ride" where we post our times on a certain FB page. I seem to be about mid-pack for the 75+ AG, but much slower than the young hotshots that use the app.

Doug, runnin' cycling in Rochester, MI

"Think blue, count two, and look for a red shoe"

Leslie- that's terrible about your nephew's wife.  Med Mal cases are difficult.  I wonder if the hospital has offered any initial settlement?  Here's one resource.  https://www.justia.com/lawyers/medical-malpractice/washington

TammyinGP

leslie, i'm sorry to hear of your nephews wife.  I sent an email to my former boss up in Seattle. They are a large Personal injury firm and I worked on a couple medical malpractice suits when I worked with him. I'm inquiring if he still does med mal claims. I'll let you know. He's one of the top attorneys in seattle for P.I. claims. I can't speak highly enough of him. I'll keep you posted. 

Belated congrats to Bio on your ultra!  I'll catch-up on your RR!

Tammy