Masters Running

Tue Sep 9 Runs and Workouts (Read 493 times)

5 ezpz miles this morning,just trying to get the legs going again...8:17 pace...sore quads
    Looking for a place to Happen, making stops along the way - The Hip
    Dave59

Resting today for me. I have the afternoon off to take DW for that dreaded medical test you take when you hit age 50. I am not looking forward to it when my turn comes next year. Question for you 50 state marathon people. If Senator Obama is elected president, will you get credit for 57 states (or maybe 58 or 59)? "Over the last fifteen months, we’ve traveled to every corner of the United States. I’ve now been in 57 states, I think — one left to go. Alaska and Hawaii " (I know it's an old quote but it's one of my favorites.) Big grin

TammyinGP

SteveP - thanks for putting it in better perspective for me. You are right . . . you have the Detroit Lions. Makes a few losses by our favorite teams not seem all that bad . . . Wink Dicky - no wagering on the games. My son is only 8. Although he and DH do have a wager set up for this weekend's 49er/Hawks game. Roll eyes The loser has to tie the other persons shoes for a week. I'm also thinking that the loser needs to speak high praises of the winning team as the "best team in the NFL" on a daily basis. I'll get in a lunchtime TM run today. Probably do a few miles of some speedwork and a couple miles of just regular running.

Tammy

6am, 12.5C (whatever that is in F), kind of chilly in the semi-dark, with cold fog rising off the lake. 2 mile w/u @ 12:27 6 x 0.5 mile intervals with 2 min walk recoveries. I did this on the flatest stretch around the lake, going back and forth, hard packed gravel, only a slight incline near the one end the 1/2 mile segment and one little footbridge. time: 4:04 the first one always feels pretty hard, and I don't think I was actually running yet when it beeped 3:55 3:55 3:58 3:55 3:54 had wanted to do 8 of these but decided to quit while I was ahead. It is so nice to see a pace with a 7 in front of it. Smile 2 mile c/d @ 11:27 I'm going to try this workout once a week, up to 10 reps until it gets easier. Then I will shorten the recovery to 1:30.

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

Forced myself out of bed at 5:30 and did an easy 4 miler. I can still run! I just met a woman who is in 2 of my grad classes, teaching full time and is running the Rochester Marathon this weekend. My hat is off to her, I am woefully undertrained. Volleyball team is off to a 2-6 start, hoping to climb one game closer to .500 tonight.

King of PhotoShop

Good way to approach those intervals Enke. Quit when you are sure you could do one more, but after you have done enough. Okay, I am back from the Y. I'm kind of on a high right now but a bit confused. First the results: 60 minutes on the elliptical plus two miles walking on the indoor track at 16s. The elliptical did not have the mile/distance feature but did have the HR which I was careful to watch. I was generally in the 121 to 128 range, but when i would adjust the resistance up or speed it up, it would go over 140 and then I got nervous and would ease it back. Do you think it is fair to count 60 elliptical minutes as four miles? Anyway, I felt super on that machine, like I was alive for the first time since the surgery, breathing, sweating, almost like running. I think I may do the elliptical on alternate days. I see the cardiologist on Friday and get some guidance from him re HR. Spareribs

I Can Go The Distance

No speed for me today. I have a sore left foot. I am fine when I am running but the rest of the day I have pain in the ball of my foot just under the second toe. When I did my wave run on Saturday, I did step on a large rock right at that point on my foot. Anyone have other ideas of what might be causing the pain? I did get in 8 miles this morning but I made sure I ran at a slow easy pace. 1:23:39 a 10:28 pace. Have a great day everyone. Bruce

"Don't give up, don't ever give up." Jim Valvano

evanflein

Erika, please rest a day or more if you need to...your body is telling you something...be gentle to it.
                  Well, I listened, and was in bed by 10 (a little later than I thought I'd be) and totally crashed. I felt just completely weary last night. Don't feel a whole lot better today... I think I'm getting sick. I remember on Sunday when I'd take my walk breaks up the hill, usually I'm ready to go again right away but Sunday I just couldn't recover. This morning I have a sore throat and general rundown feeling. I work next to two of the unhealthiest people I know. They're always coughing and hacking on everyone and everything. They were both out yesterday (thank God), but are back today. While they both sound better, it's not great. I'm a hand washing fiend and have hand sanitizer at my desk... But apparently I've caught something. Ugh. At least it's in a taper week and not a build-up week. Bruce... watch that foot! That sounds very familiar! Does it feel like this? http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/metatarsalgia/DS00496/DSECTION=symptoms I've been struggling with mine for months....
                  Tramps

Didn't get a chance to post this morning. 10.1 mile regression run. After a warm-up mile it started out being a long tempo run (3 @ 7:40) but the humidity really kicked my butt and it devolved into an MP run (3@ 8:15), then it ended up being an easy run. Fortunately, cold front is moving through and they're promising cooler, less humid air tomorrow.

Be safe. Be kind.

hi everyone!! great runs out there!! 10 miles for me today total time 1:43:44 with a calorie burn of 1065 -- woohoo!! and best of all - i made it in right before the downpours and winds started -- YES!! HAPPY TUESDAY!! tomorrow spinning class - can't wait!! P.S. happy belated birthday mainerunnah!!

denise

Hey Ribs I think it is more than fair for you to call that 60 minute eliptical workout 4 miles, afterall that would be a 15 minute mile and you are certainly there. It looks like you are progressing quite nicely, just be careful. I'm sure it must get a little nerve racking when you see that heart rate rise, knowing you I am sure that you'll be smart about your use of that equipment. Wink Denise, thanks a bunch and I'm sure glad I ran those repeats yesterday. We are getting one heck of a thunderstorm with very heavy rain right now. If it keeps up when I get out of here I'll probably head to the gym myself for my 5-6 miles on the treadmill...YUK! I haven't been on one of those in a while but I'll do what I have to. With a little luck I'll be able to squeeze it in outside...the rain doesn't really bother me it's the thunderstorms. Shocked

Marathon Maniac #957

Anyway, I felt super on that machine, like I was alive for the first time since the surgery, breathing, sweating, almost like running.
                          Yes, yes, I know exactly how you felt, because that's how I felt when I was able to use the elliptical after a running hiatus. I'm very happy for you that you are able to do that. There's nothing like being able to work up a sweat again. Smile

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

wildchild

Carolyn

I guess I missed your race Carolyn...great job and PR...YOU ROCK Smile
                            Thanks, Tim, and all the rest of you, for your well wishes on my 10K PR on Sunday. Sorry I didn't do a real RR - just a note late in the Sunday's daily. DickyG, what are your proposed terms for being my agent? Wink Holly, sounds like a nice run in the rain - take care of that tendon! Mary, nice run this morning - glad you found your mojo. I'm looking forward to reading your cousin's article. Cute pic of Nellie, too! I thought you said that was from your camping trip, but it looks like she's sleeping in a comfy chair. You sure camp in style! CNY, good luck with the prediction 5K tonight. Nono, welcome back! We've missed you and your boardwalk/beach stories. Are the crowds gone now? Ann, nice of you to come out of lurkerdom - post often! What was your big race on Aug 31st and how did you do? Breger, that sounds like quite a run in a hurricane. Be careful out there! DickyG, pleeeease don't start wishing for snow just yet. Gordon, your ezpz runs are pretty fast! Do you have your next race picked out yet? Dave59, I hadn't heard that quote about the 57 states before. That's a classic! Enke, nice intervals today! Paces starting with 7 are sweet! Spareribs, sounds like a good elliptical workout today. Glad you're feeling so alive - just walking fast doesn't give you the same feeling? Bruce, hope your foot pain is temporary! Take care of it and don't let it get worse. Erika, bummer that you might be getting sick. Rest up and get better soon! Tramps, sounds like you gave your run a good solid effort even though the H&H got to you. Denise, strong 10 miler today! Are your back problems behind you now? (pun intended) Tongue Mariposai, how is your FIL doing today? I was planning on a lunchtime run, but its 80 degrees and sunny here in town, so I'm gonna run in the cool mountains on the way home instead. I was planning on doing intervals like Enke, or maybe a wave run, but neither of these will work well on the mountain trails so I'll just run for fun.

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

It's in the 70s here, and 40% humidity, sunny and warm. My usual 6--6.06 in 48:32 for 8:01 pace [8:16/7:58/8:07/8:02/7:53/7:50] 160 ave. HR Ribs, I know! I listened to almost every word, right down to Pap's final pitch. They are such fun--looking forward to maybe hanging out at a sports bar with mainerunnah and Teresa and CNY and anyone else in a month and watching our guys, hoping they remain the boys of autumn. DH is now going by HR, so we'll be interested in what your cardio tells you, SR. Must dash--will try to visit later and read more carefully. Glad you're out there, G., the quads will feel better soon, especially with your run. grins, A
                              Masters 2000 miles

King of PhotoShop

Aamos, we don't get that game here, so I "watched" it on Yahoo, with the live stream updating every 30 seconds. I love baseball. My latest thought last night was that the Yankees may lie down for the Rays, as they hate the Sox! Wouldn't that be a bummer. Spareribs