Masters Running

40s 50s 60s+ On the Run (w/e 11/15) (Read 403 times)

Hi guys, just a quick "drive by" here.

Arla, sounds like an awesome time at your local 1/2!  Betting you will make both of those marathons fun as well...at least most of the miles Wink.  Yes, I've come to the conclusion that islet cell transplants are not for me at this stage.  The anti-rejection drugs + the fact that they often wind up failing after a fairly short period makes it not worth it.   

Leslie, your making my stomach turn just thinking about trying to eat and run as far as you do.  Quite a bit more to it than to just go out and run. 

Stumpy, glad you got your math back on the right track!

Cindy, you're amazing just to be getting out there after the ice cream incident.  Much less doing double digits so quickly.

Joe, glad you and Buddy are having some IRC.  Hope you have a good day visiting that ship....sounds like a good reason to play hookey, not that we need one Smile

Ev, yes things are good around here when the Cowboys are winning.  Let's just hope it continues!

Howdy Jim, Kelly, Jewels, and anyone else my 40 something brain is forgetting.

Been alternating biking and running every other day, with a swim thrown in here and there.  Just mainly try to "do something" for an hour each day.  Today will be walking and talking with a friend who is trying to get herself going on a workout routine.  May not be swimming for a little while.....morning news said that a dead body was found this morning floating in the lap pool at my fitness center.  http://www.wfaa.com/sharedcontent/dws/wfaa/latestnews/stories/wfaa091111_wz_pooldeath.2a68d5a56.html

Progress Trumps Pefection

flatland mountaineer

Gorgeous run weather, got in a nice 6 er predawn. Fog rolling in now prob a late start in the field but still expecting to get alot done. Huge day in the field yesterday, gotta run laters all

The whole world said I shoulda used red but it looked good to Charlene in John Deere Green!!

Support Ethanol, drink the best, burn the rest.

Run for fun? What the hell kind of recreation is that?  quote from Back to the Fut III

Queen of 3rd Place

Hi all!

Leslie - interesting stuff, but plain boiled potatoes   phooey - bland! Didn't realize that you HAVE to take water with the Gu or whatevers, although how can you not....

Carol - good consistency there, an hour a day is quite a commitment! And how sad... but ...ewwww about the corpse in the pool.

Jim - sounds like you're getting your year wrapped up there pretty well, all that plus a good run, wow!

So, Joe - how's the weather shaping up in Philly?

Jim, and Cindy, and ??? - going to Vegas soon, tapering soon?

One of my students ran her first marathon over the weekend, she ran 3:57-ish, and was first in her AG (she's 19) - I'm so proud of her! She's already thinking about her next one, yep, she's been bit. This stuff is addicting!

Everytime I think, damn, it's getting cold around here*, I go for a run and realize it's IRC! Great fall colors right now, smells of wood burning, some good migratory bird action...good stuff.

Arla

*by wimpy California-girl standards

Ex runner

Top 'O the World!

Everytime I think, damn, it's getting cold around here*, I go for a run and realize it's IRC! Great fall colors right now, smells of wood burning, some good migratory bird action...good stuff.

Yup! the good stuff!

.........Still, knowing this, sometimes the hardest thing about running is getting out the door!!    Didn't get out the door till after a significant # of household chores & such had been done (instead of getting the run in 1st) so, it wasn't till 10:30-ish...& a right balmy 60*!  Holy Heatwave Batman!!   'Sposed to snow again by tom. night though so, is okay. FINALLY!  A right sproinky feeling jaunt about my hilly neighborhood! ahhhh!~. even passed 'Raid (almost) a couple times, but then she made me stop for some import "sniff spots"  She's downright dorky about all this Fallish weather!

Taper? How you figure I got a taper in me?? I be thinkin the only thing I need to taper is how much I'm mindlessly putting in my mouth whilst my foot has been dangling in the air! lol!   Let me know on that one, K?

Remember that doing anything well is going to take longer than you think!! ~ Masters Group

Migratory bird action......love it! 

If you haven't been over to the race forum on the main community page, check out Arla's recent race report.  Very nice write up on the race.  Sounds like an awesome event with great racer support and plenty of good schwag.  Arla, you make a great ambassador for Fresno.

Continued IRC here in lovely Oklahoma.  62F and slight breeze today on my 9 mile adventure.  However.....windy conditions on tap for tomorrow and Friday.

Have a great rest of the week.....countin' down to the weekend!

Quit being so damn serious! When we change the way we look at things, the things we look at change. "Ya just gotta let it go." OM

Migratory bird action - This is the time of year the geese come back.  Their flight path to and from their daytime feeding grounds goes right over our house.  We love to go out and listen/watch them.

Cindy - Your posts always make me smile.  Such craziness around your place.  You are a very strong woman.

Ev - Very nice running conditions.  Glad you got to enjoy it.

Arla - I don't know about the GUs, but I know that with the shot bloks, you're suppose to ingest fluid after eating them.  Says it right on the back of the package.  GUs = disgusting!

Well, another lesson learned for me today.  Of course I've known forever that I would have today off work.  One would think that I would be smart enough to say, "Hey!  I'll do my 20-miler on Wednesday instead of having to do it at Conference over the weekend!"  Well, I didn't think about that until my buddy suggested it last night.  I had a pretty exhaustive XT day yesterday, but I thought, "What the heck.  Let's give it a try anyway."  Well . . . .  I made it 12.5 miles today.  My legs were beat up.  My quads hurt so stinking bad, there was no way I could do anymore climbing.  If I could've run on a rolling trail, I know I could've finished, but the climbing - ugh!  Now I'll have to gut it out down in Rancho Cordova, either on the road or on a treadmill.  {sigh}

Off to find Arla's race report . . . .

Leslie
              Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
              -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Leslie....you've got a new avatar. Looks great.   I didn't recognize you at first without your tongue hangin' out. 

Nice run, BTW.  Tough xtrain and tough 12.5 miler.  I would not have had the mental (physical) strength to even try it.  Nice going.

Actually alot of you guy/gals are gettin' a new avatar.  I'm really liking Jim's and Mtn's in particular.

OK....about the migratory bird and geese discussion....I've got something to add.  You know when you see a flock of geese flying and they're in that V formation?  Do you know why one side of the V is always longer than the othr?

More geese on that side.

Quit being so damn serious! When we change the way we look at things, the things we look at change. "Ya just gotta let it go." OM

flatland mountaineer

Rest day (HA) today. Woke up with sore scratchy throat and sinus headache like most days this week. Its just all that nasty smut and mold from the hailed corn we are combining but hey its natural. Much worse than any pesticide I spray. Sorry its all bout me today but I gotta keep movin', pushing hard in the field now!! Got a gillion things to comment on the activities of our fine group but not today. C YA s

The whole world said I shoulda used red but it looked good to Charlene in John Deere Green!!

Run for fun? What the hell kind of recreation is that?  quote from Back to the Fut III

jfa

Skipped work yesterday and after a nice 6er with Buddy, took DD up to see the newest addition to our fleet. Tours for the public were supposed to be open till 4,but they closed it at 2 instead. Still ,the USS New York is impressive

Top 'O the World!

Nice pix Joe!

Great RR Arla...but, how'd YOU do? (I know, I know, awesome!)

Face mask Jim?

Thnx Ev - it's from the TRR trail this past Augut - top of Vail mtn facing Copper Mtn

Leslie {shuddering} treadmill!?

Hey! Everybody else......

.....continued crazy & busy with a touch of incoming Winter weather here....I need to get outta here shortly for a short run w/Mairead, then off to the Ski & Snowboard expo to get the grandkids some much needed winter gear, run a coupla errands, go to a Warren Miller movie w/friends followed by snacks & beers, then head back up to Breck for 3 "filling up" 12 hr shifts!  will check in when I can....

Ciao!~

Cindy

Remember that doing anything well is going to take longer than you think!! ~ Masters Group

jfa

Friday the 13th for you superstitious folks.

Found a hole in the storm and had a real nice 9er last night .5m wu then telephone pole intervals. Last part was downhill with a nice tailwind and quite possibly the fastest quarter mile for me yet.

Ok,someone please point me to Arla's RR, I'm having trouble locating it.

Queen of 3rd Place

Joe - neat pics! Thanks!

Jim - mold, yuck. Can you wear some kind of mask for protection?

Cindy - just another run. I ran with one woman who was taking it easy after an injury, and another for whom it was her first half marathon, which made for a very relaxed run....so now I'm ready for another half this Sunday!

Off to Paso Robles, for the Wine Vine Half...this will be HM #11 for me this year, I think. Maybe I should join up with that new half marathon maniacs group...

Arla

Ex runner

USS New York......very impressive.  Also sounds like impressive intervals....9 miles worth of them?  Wow!  BTW, I see you found Arla's RR.

Mtn....sounds as though you're still busy!  If I had half your energy.....

Somebody needs to crown Arla the Half Marathon Queen.  Arla, I'm so glad you're able to enjoy running the way you do.

Just got back from a nice 6 miler.  Last three at tempoish  pace.  Let the weekend begin!

Wow, people really like my new avatar.  Not sure if that's saying something against me or not.

Great pics, Joe.  That's a bummer that they closed the tours early.  No explanation?  Oh wait, I forget - it's the government.  No explanation necessary.

Jim - I'm with Cindy - face mask?

Arla - Yes, you should join that HM Maniacs group.  Are you its first member?

Ev - You're staying very consistent with that running.  Good for you.  And the short side of the V - snork!

Made it here to Sacramento with a little bit of shopping.  Yesterday was talking to the folks at the front desk here at the Marriott and ends up we're less than a mile from where the bike path that the AR50 is run on starts.  How lucky is that!  Was able to get my whole 20 miles in and get a small taste of what I'm in for for the first half of that race.  And for a good chunk of the run, there's a dirt trail that parallels the bike path, so I didn't have to do it all on pavement.  Yea!  It did reinforce, however, that my body is not used to running on a basically flat surface for that long.  It didn't take me as long as I thought, but I was also a bit disappointed in my time, if that makes sense.  Did 20.36 in 3:43, and that's even accounting for stopping and asking a couple of older gentlemen about water fountains on the path and then having to listen to them both tell me a joke - very cute - as well as short walking breaks for drinking and eating, stopping for more directions toward the end when I came a 4-way section with no idea which way to go and asking for more directions, and 8 stoplights.

Anyway, everyone else is down at the Welcome Reception and I'm sitting here chatting with you folks and icing my shins.  I think I'm having the better time.

Have a great weekend -

Leslie
                              Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                              -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

flatland mountaineer

Nice 5 er yesterday morning. Took Dessie for part, she had a good time.

Carol nice educational right up on your type of diabetes. Ug a dead body floating in your lap swimming pool.

Arla outstanding race report. Looks like Fresno is the new running Mecca...........Albuquerque Boston Boulder now Fresno. Have fun in wine country!!

Building some nice miles Ev.

Joe very cool pic of the USS NY.  Telephone Pole Intervals hey thats my fave speedwork.

Leslie nice adventure on  your out of town 20.

As per the mold/fungi thing my cab is pressurized and double filtered but I breathe that stuff servicing, getting in and out and get it on my clothes and carry it in with me. It also gets on my eyelids and makes them itch then you end up rubbing your eyes and pretty soon they are just raw. This year is much worse than normal, clear across the country. I have masks in the pickups and in the combine but they don't do any good if I don't wear em huh!!!! I need to work on that when servicing etc. Before the days of clean cabs I used to wear one of these all day during wheat harvest.http://www.airwareamerica.com/3mhepaas400airstreamsystem.aspx

At least our grain is good, many parts of the corn belt the corn is molding on the cob. I have our combine set to blow most of the light hail damaged kernals prone to mold out the back of the machine. But lots of nasties on the stalks and leaves. I think how good we have it now with the nice cabs compared to the old days of the open station machines and sucking in all that stuff all day.