Masters Running

Thu July 24 Runs and Musings (Read 618 times)

Hello everyone, I really miss you gals and guys (been underwater for a long time at work) Dead {{{RIBS and The Saint}}} I ran two ORTHOTIC FREE miles yesterday as an experiment because I think I have outgrown the need for them (thanks to lots of XT and strength training). It is such a joy to feel this good (no twinges, no twangs!). Another bonus: I was 20 seconds faster per mile and I was just trying to be careful! No wrestling with my gait, either (gait-wrestling?) I will run 4 more ORTHO-FREE miles today and continue this experiment in liberating myself from these pieces of plastic. Someday I might get bold enough to go barefoot .... Tongue
      Just to second what rochrunner wrote about the Garmin. I have tried all of its options an a futile attempt to get the current pace feature to work well enough to be of some use. No luck. When I want my current pace I do exactly what he does, use the autolap feature. Sad to say, but the Garmin is just not accurate enough to measure your pace over a small time interval.

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

Still nursing the sore hamstring Ran easy for 45 minutes & it was 4.5 miles. Don't get me started on the trooper & lawyer jokes Roll eyes I'm not a trooper but I'm an accident investigator & radar / laser instructor so I've have spent many days at the highway patrol academy. dromedary I hope that orthotic free works out for you, I've tried it a couple of times through the years and I have gone back to the orthotics every time. Currently I have a pair that are rubber like, very flexible except for the arch support.

Courage ! Do one brave thing today...then run like hell.

Renee the dog

Nono, maybe time for a movie? I have loose ligaments too, but not in my feet! how'd you do that?
          dg, I have no idea how my ankles do it, but they've always done it. When I was younger, I could "fall off" my feet while standing still in bare feet. Confused On the plus side, when I've twisted my ankle, I've never had any swelling or real injury from it. There's a condition where all ligaments are loose, but mine are only around the ankles. As for a movie, we'd have to go off-island for that, and while it is only a few miles, now that we're near the weekend, we hide out from the traffic of the summer tourist season. So we'll be walking tonight, wherever we go. OH, running! Yeah...got in my 5 in 46:48 in low 80s F with only 50% H. I had a lifeguard on a quad from two towns upbeach pace me for awhile. We had a lovely conversation and he stayed with me all the way to my turnaround point. Fun stuff! Well, I'd better shower or I'll be on a date by myself tonight! Surprised Still thinking good thoughts for SR.

GOALS 2012: UNDECIDED

GOALS 2011: LIVE!!!

evanflein

Got a beautiful day today, sort of a surprise actually! Nice sunny day, 65F, 42% humidity, scattered clouds... ahhh. 6 mile progression-type tempo kinda run today. Started out easy and even going up hill the first 3 miles (very gradual), I felt good enough to crank out 8:26, 8:21, 8:09, 7:41, 7:18 (weee!), and 8:09 for the final mile with some uphill back to the office. After my sproinky hilly run home yesterday, I wasn't planning on this type of run today, but that's what I got and it's all good. Dinner tonight at our favorite restaurant... food and wine pairings for visiting winemaker from Rodney Strong. Yummmm.
              Sorry to hear that they couldn't place the stent. Thinking of Spareribs and The Saint right now. Karin Off to a work dinner, no Cafe Rustica this time Aamos, but maybe next time. Thanks for the rec.

King of PhotoShop

Okay, here is a more complete update, but before I get there, let me say thank you once again for all your kind wishes and posts here today and over the past few days. The original plan was to insert two stents, but neither was inserted and I am home. The catheter procedure I had done last week with the iodine ink shows the areas of blockage, but there are two issues here. First is that these arterial vessels aren't in a straight line. One area looks like the crook of a large tree and splits off. They had to go see it to know a stent couldn't be placed there. The other area of occlusion is farther along on that path. They cannot get the catheter past the first area to the second. For those of you interested in the language, they used an intravascular ultrasound procedure to do this exploration. The doctor explained the difficulty as "trying to lug a king-sized mattress up a small staircase. The vessels are called the LAD (left anterior descending) and the circumflex. The witty doctors refer to one of these as the "widow maker," I am not sure which. After this exploration they told me immediately no stent today and wheeled me into recovery, where the doctor talked to my wife at the need to deal with at least these two areas, possibly more, through bypass surgery. This is open heart and they take veins from your leg or someplace where you have a mess of them, and simply bypass the shut arteries, like when you see a traffic jam on a highway you might find the adjacent service road moves faster. The highway is still open but the bypass gets the job done. And the further logic of it is that once they go into the heart, there is no point in waiting on the aortic valve. They will replace it at that time, "while they are under the hood." (They have many witticisms like this.) We spoke to the surgeon today about the procedure (after endorsing over several recent checks from Tim and Bruce). He would like to do it next week. But we will talk with another cardiologist in Dallas on Monday, bringing with us the film from the catheter procedure. The surgeon has offered to speak to the cardiologist of course and supports this further exploration. The Baylor Hospital system in Texas is a fine organization and have performed this and similar procedures many times successfully. My hardest phone call will be to the client who engaged me from August to mid-November to tell them I need to push our project back about 8 weeks. I am confident they will understand and wait for me. So thanks for your well wishes, and I will keep you posted. S.
                  Thanks for the update Ribs. I'm sure everyone else will agree with me when I say we were disappointed to hear the news earlier. But we're also happy that you'll likely be getting everything taken care of all at once and very soon. The best to you and yours. Bill

"Some are the strong, silent type. You can't put your finger on exactly what it is they bring to the table until you run without them and then you realize that their steadiness fills a hole that leaks energy in their absence." - Kristin Armstrong

Breger said it best and we have been thinking of you and The Saint all day. Your clients will wait for you and so will we. We are with you every step of the way. Karin
                    dg.

I'll just join in with Karin & Bill, I can't say it better. So good to see a post from you!! thank you for the careful explanation. take care of yourself.

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

ribs - Baylor is supposed to be good, maybe too good so make sure to tell them not to make you faster than you already are. dromelina - the runningbarefoot.org gang has a number of previously sidelined runnners who became so frustrated with orthotics and/or not running that, against their doctor's advice, they tried runningbarefoot as a last resort, . . . and have been running ever since. don't know how it would be for your feet but even a little barefooting will usually help strengthen foot/ankle/calf/knees, . . . and prevent heel landings that are the source of many running injuries even when done with thickly-cushioned running shoes supposed to prevent the same. http://runningahead.com/groups/MastRun/Forum/c8bf1c3eacc74cb3a800b370c5387c88

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

Ribs, the LAD is the widow maker and is called that for a reason. Forget the clients and take care of yourself and your family. It sounds scary but you have a strong heart (just the tubes in and out are problems) and you will recover more quickly than you might imagine. You have our email--D. is back at work, running 3/4 of a mile at a time during his walks and doing well. He will be happy to talk/email you about any and all details. Right now he's hoping to get the beta blockers cut back, as that medication seems to make you tired. Get fixed so we can make plans to run and I can beat you again with your new clean tubes. There's a gauntlet for you Wink Best to your family. A.
                          Masters 2000 miles
                            thanks for the update Spareribs -- i haven't been posting much, but catching up when i can and thinking of you as you go through this process so here's another sleep in the car story -- i was having a tough time driving home this morning so pulled off the highway and into a mall parking lot -- much sooner on my journey home than normal -- slept 20 minutes and thought i was ok -- drove another 5 and realized i just couldn't do it -- i was so tired -- so went to a park i know of and parked on the side street -- woke up an HOUR later -- looked up and saw 2 older gentlemen sitting on their front porch eyeing me -- probably trying to figure out if i was alive or not!! oh well!! made it home and slept a couple more hours after that!! was hoping to run outside this afternoon, but it was like a steam room outside -- and just as it looked like the sky was trying to clear the drizzle then the downpours would start again -- so i wimped out and hit the gym - 6.5 miles on the treadmill -- did 8 sets of 1/4 mile intervals at an 8:20 pace -- most of my run was at a 9:20-9:30 pace but played around with increasing speeds and incline the last 2 miles -- then stretched and did some abwork tonight had a dinner date with dh -- even though we are not in the most peaceful moments of our marriage, we did celebrate our 26th anniversary today have a wonderful weekend RA friends - i'm heading up to OOB, Maine tomorrow and internet access in the campgroung is sketchy!!

denise

Ribs you are one tough dude. Thanks for keeping us updated and I am sorry it did not work out today. I hope the weeks ahead get you back better than ever. Good luck! 3 mile recovery run Larry

Chumbawamba: I get knocked down But I get up again You're never going to keep me down

Ribs - your customer, of course, will be fine. I'm glad you'll be able to take care of this quickly.

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com