Masters Running

Sunday's Daily, 1.5.14 (Read 33 times)

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Wild - would love to visit Thailand again.  Sounds like your having a ball.  I wasn't running 18 years ago when I when I was there but, the open air bars drew me in.

I wasn’t running either when we were there once-in-a-while during a year sojourn in Singapore 1972 but even if I was running, I don’t think I would have.  It was so hot they called their annual marathon “the Big Walk.”  I watched it come into town from across the island and it was walk-don’t-run” that’s for sure.   However, wild, I’m so sorry a Japan stop didn’t work out for you as I was getting ideas on some possible interesting options.
    With my not having run since November’s Gobble/Gobble 10K, Saturday’s Takebashi Imperial Palace Marathon sponsored by the Japan 100-Marathon Joyful Running Club had so wiped me out that I’d immediately e-mailed to RD of their Hiratsuka-to-Enoshima Marathon on Sunday wondering what I could to do be his volunteer.  Even older than my now-70 years, the RD’s speedy sub-three’s from 30)-40 years ago have been reduced now to even slower than my six-to-seven hour marathons so he replied, “just do what I do.”
    Unfortunately, what hs did was 42.195 km to welcome the new year. Reminding me that their marathons are for “fun, fitness and a little humor,” he said I could take a taxi back if needed.  It almost was as the headwinds from the jet stream on the way over had been reincarnated against us and it took me 3:42 to reach the turn-around on Enoshima Island.  However, the favorable tailwind got me back in 3:43 for 7hr/25min of the kind of joy they are named after..  Thanks Joyfuls. No wonder I love running so much.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

evanflein

Sooo... Tetsujin, are you back in Seattle? I have to admit, I frequently am not sure what you're saying. I bet I'm not alone here in that boat.

Mike, good for you for getting the treadmill run in. You guys should have good weather towards the end of next week as ours is steadily deteriorating until Saturday with a high of -18... and so it goes, back into "normal" January temperatures for me.

I was delighted to see +20° temps on our thermometer when I got up this morning! By noon, it had dropped to 16° but still pretty darn nice. Started my run from campus at 16° and ran out and back a few different routes. Almost bailed at 4 miles because the bikepaths hadn't been plowed and it was just too much like work. Saw the longer path along the expressway had been plowed, and headed that way for another 6 mile round trip. Did a double-back on the bikepath by DH's office a couple times, to get 11.4 for the day, 8:20 avg pace. Ended up with 46 miles for the week which is big for January for me with no race planned. Cool!

Figured I'd do a treadmill run after work tomorrow, but the temps look so good I might make that a lunchtime run. We'll see!

Marathon Maniac #957

Erika - nice pace in spite of the snow!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."