Masters Running

Happy 4th of July!! (Read 449 times)

Nice pics, Tet!  I've heard White River is a tuffy.  However, I do have my eyes on the Mt. Hood PCT 50-miler in July of next year and hopefully another 50 in October.  WS got me a wee bit excited over the longer distances.  I know the training for a 100-miler is a $itch, so we shall see.  Coach and I are going to do some serious talking after SOB next weekend.  And I'm working on a crewing report.  Trying to figure out how to get 5 spectacularly awesome days into a manageable report.

Speaking of SOB, volunteers have been working on clearing the trail :

Participated in a local race for the first time since the Thanksgiving Turkey Trot.  Coach, Karen, and I did a 1.25 mile warm up before the race.  Coach and I finished the 3.16 miles in 27:04.  Not a PR (we finished the Turkey Trot faster, surprisingly), but a good pace anyway.  He ran with me the whole way, even though he's much faster, and for the last mile, he kept getting out in front of me and running just a little bit faster to egg me along.  Our splits were:

Mile - Average/Best:

1 - 8:53/7:19

2 - 8:52/8:05

3 - 8:13/6:46

.16 - 8:55/6:53

I forgot to turn off my Garmin when we crossed the finish line, so the extra 20 seconds during which it was running and we weren't moving brought our average down.  It was a hoot!

At the end, they had a raffle of a whole bunch of stuff, including watermelons.  Karen, her roommate (who had to leave), and I all won watermelons.  Coach had left by that point (having won a watermelon, also), so Karen and I had to carry 3 watermelons a little over 1/2 a mile back to our cars.  We kept switching off with one carrying two for awhile, then the other would, etc.  I need to remember this when my arms are sore tomorrow!

Leslie
    Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
    -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

evanflein

Some really nice long runs today... Nice job you guys. CNY wow on that run with friends, and Karl that's quite the run on the treadmill, but I do the same thing with the music and zoning out. Much better than trying to run in that heat!

Mary, I always think of Cheyenne on days like this. We just heard some fireworks go off (crackers) and I thought of how much she hated the noise. Yesterday's thunderstorm also had me thinking of her. I look out the kitchen window to where she's resting and assure her it's ok.

I ran a 5k this morning. Good thing I registered early and paid my $20, or I would've blown it off. I was up way too late last night and really didn't want to go. But, I'm cheap enuf that if I've paid for it, dammit I'm going to run it! Glad I did. Finally got my sub-22 minute 5k with a (Garmin) time of 21:54. I probably could've done better if I'd prepared for it better (like, gone to bed at 9!) and warmed up better, but this was as good as I could do today. Then I went for an 8 mile run and it was really hard. My legs are done. 11.5 for the day.

For those of you who'd like to hear me (and others) singing, here is a YouTube video of "The Star Spangled Banner" performed this morning.  The audio is not the best, but I think you'll enjoy it anyway!  The long white haired guy on the right is our genius Music Director.

Happy Birthday America!

(Who is that Tall, Good Looking 2nd Tenor?)

Bill

YouTube "The Star Spangeld Banner"

"Some are the strong, silent type. You can't put your finger on exactly what it is they bring to the table until you run without them and then you realize that their steadiness fills a hole that leaks energy in their absence." - Kristin Armstrong

i'm lovin' it... MM#1949

Erika.. Congrats on breaking 22! I'm jealous.. 22:04 is my best Smile

Hallar... to avoid carrying the liquids, have you tried "tanking up" before the run.  I find chugging 32 oz water before the run helps.

I ran 4 recovery miles this morning and then 60 minutes pool running around noon.

Perch's Profile "I don't know if running adds years to your life, but it definitely adds life to your years." - Jim Fixx "The secret is to make in your mind possible what was not possible before. The secret is to make easy what was difficult, instead to make difficult what really is easy." - Coach Renato Canova