Masters Running

Sunday, 8.21.16 (Read 28 times)

coastwalker

Afternoon, everyone.

Is everyone sleeping in today?

I raced the NH Masters Games 1500 meter racewalk at noon today. It was on a track in Manchester, which is in central NH. It was a lot warmer there (88F) than here near the coast (75F), and we all agreed after the race that the temp took it's toll. I don't have my official time,, but I believe it was somewhere around 9:50. I was 5th overall and 2nd in my AG. I has a shot at 4th, but just couldn't find the extra gear I needed to get it done. So it goes. I still had a good time, even though it showed me I need to do more speed work.

Have a greta Sunday!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Marathon Maniac #957

Jay - noon in August seems pretty late for a race - you are pretty much always going to have heat.  Good job in spite of it.

No run for me today, but I did 60 minutes on the bike trainer, followed by 2 hours of weeding the flowerbeds and garden.  The price of summer is definitely yardwork.

Then errands and visiting my stepdad and now I'm heading up to cook Stromboli for DH.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

6.21 miles around the neighbourhood, first dropping a book off at the library, which is just under a mile away, so no problem running that far carrying it in one hand.

The book was "The history of great things" by Elizabeth Crane.  A chick book - mother daughter thing.  I guess she was working out her issues with her narcissistic mother.  It is written in a fictional form where the mother and daughter narrative the other's life, filling in whatever they want that they did not know about the other's life.  It got a little confusing, but I really enjoyed it, especially references to the way things were back when I was growing up, and the generation before that.

I was supposed to do a long run today, but I just did not have the mental energy or physical energy to tackle it.  Mostly mental I guess.

It went down to 60 F overnight with cool, wet marine air blowing in and overcast skies.  Lovely.  Wish it would stay like that but it will be upper 80s again by the end of the week.

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

evanflein

Wow, light day here today! I'm watching the end of the men's marathon on tv, so don't tell me who wins (although I think I know already).

I ran 10.2 hilly miles today! Woot! And by hilly, I mean really hilly. Not Ester Dome (Equinox "hill"), but the hills here by my house so I was never more than 3 miles away from home. I don't know why I don't train on these hills more often, they're very convenient and very steep in spots. Foot felt pretty good throughout but got a little cranky with the last two downhill miles. Still, very happy with that and how I did on the hills seeing as how I haven't done much any hill work this summer. High resistance elliptical work seems to be a good substitute/placeholder for actual hill training. Will probably take a rest day or elliptical tomorrow depending on my schedule (all day work training tomorrow...).

Jay, congrats on 2nd in AG. I would like to see you race sometime, impressive!

Erika, I can picture you running on those hills, my they are steep! I was reminiscing about our trip to Alaska last summer/fall. We had just picked up the Motorhome a year ago. We sure covered a lot of miles and were so glad we came up to Fairbanks and got to see you and where you live.

Holly, we just have flower DS to weed and they are pretty clean, actually, probably because they are fairly new.

enke, what pace will you be running the Portland half? Maybe we can run together for a while. My long runs are around 11:50 but hopefully race pace is faster than that. Today I went out for a 10 mile long run but only got in 8 since my foot was hurting today too. Temps were down to 74 and felt quite pleasant. Opened the windows today but not for long. Dog days of Summer will be here again.

Friday night MrStarr was slicing some zucchini with his sliding slicer thing and oops! Sliced a chunk of his index finger off. We got it bandaged but did go to the ER after supper but there wasn't anything to stitch. That bled like a stuck pig, as they say. I can't believe how many doctor appointments we have had this summer. Thankful that his heart CT scan ruled out any blockage. All is good and his mood is improving for the most part.

“Courage is not defined by those who fought and did not fall, but by those who fought, fell, and rose again.” — Adrienne Rich

Starr, I have no idea what pace I will do at Portland.  It really depends on how much cardio/miles I get in in the next 7 weeks.  It could be anywhere from 11:30 to 10:00, to 9:30 the last few miles (or the first few before I blow up).  I nearly sliced off the top of my pinky finger many years ago with a very sharp knife.  I stuck that flap of skin back down, wrapped it up like crazy and it eventually healed but the tip was numb for about a year!

Mr Blue Eyes came over later today and we cycled an easy-paced 19 miles.  Apparently cyclists are even more OCD than runners, as we had to do at least 18.1 miles for him to make 200 miles for the week.  So we did this little out and back to get the numbers right.  Funny thing is, I totally get it!!  His proud thing is 200 a week, whereas I know for many runners it is 200 a month.  It's just a number!!!  What if you only ran 199 one month?

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

What if you only ran 199 one month?

it'd be a PB of major proportions.

Taper day after yesterday’s two mile walk
                so went on a 12 mile out-and-back jog-a-walk
                to a favorite lake out-the-road I haven’t been to since 1958.
                Haven’t been in a canoe since 1962 either but
                USFS canoe at the new Forest Service cabin
                got me out to where I remembered the fish
                were and got limit of two each for both

cutthroat and two dolly varden trout
                (On spinning gear, sorry tom)
                at mile 3.5 got mixed up with the trail

to the old cabin <<<(editor’s note: (“lost&rdquoWink>>>
                for about 45 minutes on the way up

and then did it again on the way back.

Just as I was starting to think about panicking,

i saw a red shirted hiker across a pond on the new one.

whew.  
                In the bear protection category, pinned to knapack
                a cowbell I’ve been hoarding in my marathon box

since the 2005 Seattle Marathon even though no use for it

in Seattle along with cocked bear spray ready-to-use

in right hand and a two-pound rock in left hand.

Fortunately, though lots of beaten grasses to the lake

when I was in the canoe, didn’t see any bears. Whew.

ps jay - congratulations to you and erika

for this week's unanticipated successes

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)