Masters Running

40s+/50s+ On the Run - It's Summer Time!! (w/e 06/27/09) (Read 601 times)

I can't believe the weather you guys have been having, Cindy and Jim.  I love the sunshine here, but like I said before, we are in desperate straights for rain.  I see a summer of terrible fires looming again.

Joe - Good job with the running barefoot.

45 or min of upper body and core workout this a.m. while watching "Double Jeopardy."  Gotta love Tommy Lee Jones.  (All-time favorite of his - "Lonesome Dove.")  Upped the amount of weight I was lifting for everything, and did it "to muscle failure," which I think is it the term.  I should be nice and sore in the arms by tomorrow.  Did crunches, leg lifts (legs pointed straight up in the air, lift up so that the butt's off the ground, don't swing legs), bicycles, and back whatchamacallits (laying over the BOSU on stomach, hold weight to chest, and lift chest up).  Next thing to look at is how I'm eating and whether or not I'm getting the right proportions of carbs, proteins, etc.  Decided to forego a lower bod workout since we're scheduled for 24 trail miles tomorrow and another 10 on Sunday.

I am determined to change my physique over the next few months, mostly to get rid of my poochy stomach, which is where I believe eating more correctly (is that grammaticaly correct?) will help out.  I eat pretty healthy anyway, but there's obviously something I'm doing wrong 'cause that fat just won't go away.  And I refuse to believe that some of are us just suppose to have flabby stomachs.

I'm pretty much following BK around the house with a bowl of food.  Poor guy!  He eats little bits at a time, which is better than nothing.  Doesn't really care for the canned food I got him yesterday, so I will go exchange it for something else.  Whatever it takes.  He did purr this a.m. while I was petting him, so that's an improvement over the "screw you" looks I've been getting.

Have a great weekend, peeps ~

Leslie
    Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
    -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Go for it Cindy! I know, easy for me to say.

Our usual round of rain today followed by the sun which equals steamy, steamy weather.

Another trip to the gym followed by a 2 mile run. Things are getting just a tad easier!

Have a great weekend everyone.....

Jewels

But in the end, I'm more afraid of not trying, than failing. JJJessee
        Okay.  I signed up for the Big Sur Trail Marathon, September 26.  It's a long drive (8+ hours one way), but it should be pretty.

Leslie
        -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

Thanks to all for the anniversary notes.  We had an exceptional day and continue to have a good time.

Ok.....here it is 6:somthing and I'm psyching myself up for a morning run.  A way different routine for me, for sure.  I'm always up early but never run in the a.m.  I tend to resist change....tho I'm working on that.... but once the change is made I'm usually kinda good with it. 

I should be out the door in an hour or so.  Will let you know how it goes. 

(Like it's some major event or something  )

Leslie, your intention to change your physique is speaking to me.  You're doing great.  24 trail miles

Jewels, DW and I are interested in the p90x thing too.   We'll get to it soon, I'm sure.  Keep us posted on how sis is doing.

Quit being so damn serious! When we change the way we look at things, the things we look at change. "Ya just gotta let it go." OM

Happy Anniversary to Ev and Mrs. Ev!  Kinda nice being old married folks, huh?  So did you get out there this morning? 

Les, hope BK perks up.  Poor kid. Sad

Hmmmm....lots of signing up for stuff going on here...serious BHAG's (Big Hairy Audacious Goals) Smile Smile

I've done something pretty much every day this week, swimming, running outside, running on treadmill, pushups/situps, etc.  All short runs...3 to 4 milers at slow pace, but I'm counting it a success anyway. Tried to upload my garmin to the log here at RA, but it just gets stuck partway through the process so not sure what I'm doing wrong Sad.

Think I'm going to pick up some swim goggles and a cap (and maybe a new bathing suit if I get brave) today.  I enjoy being in the water and am hoping the goggles will convince me to put my head under whilst freestyling. I'm fine with swimming, and will stick my head under just standing there, but the whole can't see, can't breathe when I want thing is still a little daunting.

Later gators!     

Progress Trumps Pefection

flatland mountaineer

I was up then got suckered into watching "Run Fat Boy Run" so didn't get out early. I did 2 @recovery pace and got all the parts working. Achilles talked after hill repeats but calm down with rolling and stretching. I will back my long run down a little tommorow no more than 8.

Ev how did it go?

Cindy was it the relay to Steamboat u signed up for. Thats quite a route. I have seen part of it on snowmobile.

Leslie big Sur sounds interesting. Hope the kitty comes round. I was watching our foster cat stalking ground squirrels yesterday, hilarious!!

Jewels sounds like your getting some workouts. Running Times had an article on heat and humidity, with a note that if they total 152 or over use caution.

Carol,  good job, as far as short or slow miles, I posed a question to Jonathan about adding some real short days in and here is his reply;

"I think there is a value in every mile, as long as you aren't getting too tired -- you are adding to your total miles, and doing light weight (body weight) reps with every step."

Glad the swim thing is working. The whole sinking, drowning thing kinda kills it for me.

Joe what a weird year all over, we have had 2/3 of our annual rainfall in the last month and a half.

Better get at it. Laters

The whole world said I shoulda used red but it looked good to Charlene in John Deere Green!!

Support Ethanol, drink the best, burn the rest.

Run for fun? What the hell kind of recreation is that?  quote from Back to the Fut III

Kinda nice being old married folks, huh?  So did you get out there this morning?   

Yep, it's the best!  (DW is reading this over my shoulder as I type  )  Been happily married for 26 years.  29 years total, but about 26 years have been happy.    No, I'm just kidding.  Yes, Carol, I did indeed get out there this morning.

Got to the running trails about 7:00 a.m. It was a beautiful morning....temps around 84 and nice breeze.  The relatively cooler temps and a couple days off from running translated into a fairly sproinky run (I learned that running term over on the daily thread).  10 miles and had a pretty decent pace for me...around 9:42.  Came home, DW put me to work in the yard.  It reached 102F here.  Then sweet bliss!  Thunder clouds moved in.  Temps dropped to 86 or so and rain.  Not alot of rain...but it was nice...about .35 inches.  It beats a poke in the eye with a sharp stick.

Carol, you've been doing some nice running and xtraining. 

Jim, you getting psyched up for your 5K?   Your year to date rainfall totals remind me of a joke I hear around here. 

Two farmers are discussing the weather. 

Farmer Jones:  "Yep, we got pert near 21 inches of rain last year."

Farmer Smith:  " I reckon we did.  I think I remember the night we got it."

Quit being so damn serious! When we change the way we look at things, the things we look at change. "Ya just gotta let it go." OM

Hi Al - I'm ty---red, so this is gonna be short for the moment.

A smidge under 23 trail miles today.  I ran out of fluids, and it was so warm here, I knew I'd be dying if I tried to do another mile of climbing.  But I did persevere and did the four trips up the 8/14/12 combo.  Ugh!  My buddy Karen's sister gave us another thing to try for climbing hills:  walk 20 paces, run 20 paces, repeat over and over and over until you're up the hill.  This really helped on 12, which is virtually straight up.  It's a -itch of a climb.  Karen took a nosedive this a.m. barely 3 minutes into our run, stumbling over a root.  She banged her left knee and hip and right elbow up pretty good.  She managed a little over 13, but decided to go home and ice all the aching parts down while I finished up.  Her knee is gonna be a real nice shade of black and blue tomorrow.  Plus, the huge scrape is right on the knee cap, so every time she bends it . . .

Well, I need to go get some more food in me and some ice tea.  The tum is starting to feel a bit nauseous.

Later -

Leslie
                  -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

Queen of 3rd Place

Another "quickie"...

Jim - man, you are tough folks, talk about rolling with the punches. Of course, you also had your ducks in a row, being prepared is a good thing! Sending good thoughts your way.

The Evs - happy anniversary!! Anyone that could stand love one another for that long and all the changes we go through as we grow/change as people has my admiration.

Leslie - sending healing kitty vibes, however I can't help you with the wallet.   I know how that goes with veterinarians. Wow and how about those big miles! 23 on the trail...plus all that craaazy cross-training...here, have an extra (virtual) brownie...

Carol - another serious cross-trainer! Swimming, running, all that calisthenic-type stuff...ok, I'm tired now.

And Jewels, you with the cross-training too? What's gotten into everyone, a tough of mid-life-itis?

Got mom all packed up with help from brother, now she's here at my place in Fresno for a few days, while I start UNpacking. Ugh. Then I go back to LA to take care of cleaning her house, selling some of the furniture and stuff, and talking to the realtor. Damn some days it feels like this is never gonna pass.OK, one day at a time...

Got a 12-miler in yesterday, though...followed by a massage and even a beer! So I can't complain *too* much!

Arla

Ex runner

Got a 12-miler in yesterday, though...followed by a massage and even a beer! So I can't complain *too* much!

Arla

I'd pay someone a hundred bucks to massage my feet right now.  I need different trail shoes.  I'll go tomorrow and see if my just retired pair has an update.  It's good to hear from you, Arla!  Hang in there with the craziness.

Yes, lots of x-training going on here.  It's good for the bod!  Keep up the good work, folks!

Thought I'd share this.  Wild.  The green is heart rate, blue is pace.  LOTS of climbing.

Leslie
                      -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance