Masters Running

Sub 2:46 marathon in flip-flops? (Read 202 times)

Mariposai

My favorite quote: "I knew it was all about maintaining a very efficient and balanced stride," he said. "

http://www.thepostgame.com/blog/pulse/201210/man-runs-246-marathon-flip-flops-runners-world

Your input?

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Thanks Nancy.

Your favorite part is ever better barefoot. My favorite was the importance of snug, non-slip fits like the one-size-too-small Merrell Bahria Trail thongs I’ve worn for ten rocky, rough-surfaced trail marathons and 8 ultras to 50-miles and 100K: "I knew that what would normally result in a blister wasn't happening because there wasn't any room due to the snugness of the strap,"

Too bad there’s no world record for Japanese straw zori thongs (6:50:20), traditional straw waraji wrap sandals (5:57:02) or wooden geta (6:44:45), plus my favorite running buddy might have the Chaco sandal marathon record too.  In the barefoot division, I had second place behind Abebe Bikila from 1990 to 1999 when our runningbarefoot.org guru Kenbob ran his first of now 75 barefoot marathons.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

Top 'O the World!

I just watched a guy pass me a cpl wknds ago during a 50M/50K trail race wearing lighter weight flip flops! like POOL SHOES! I have no idea which race he was running but I watched his stride - quite different from the shod ppl. for as long as I could. I didn't catch his bib# to see how he did but he looked much more relaxed/easy than just about anybody else I was watching at that point! And, when DH & I were in Ireland for the Lost Worlds races, a 16 yr old from Sweden was doing the 100K in very minimalist sandals.  

Remember that doing anything well is going to take longer than you think!! ~ Masters Group

A Marathon in flip flops?  Ah, that's nothing.  How about the guy who does Ironman events in Crocs!

Bill

"Some are the strong, silent type. You can't put your finger on exactly what it is they bring to the table until you run without them and then you realize that their steadiness fills a hole that leaks energy in their absence." - Kristin Armstrong

aka FlyingFinn

Flip flops and crocs? How about the man who climbed a mountain with no legs? Awesome.

Instructions for living a life:

Pay attention. Be astonished. Tell about it.   ~~~Mary Oliver