Masters Running

The Book Club - Name Your Favorites or Latest Recommendations (Read 1548 times)

"The Unlikely Disciple: A Sinner's Semester at America's Holiest University."

You have to go in with a good attitude, but this was an excellent read by Kevin Roose who, at the age of 19, decided to take a semester off from Brown University to attend Liberty University: "The hilarious and heartwarming, respectful and thought-provoking memoir of a college student's semester at Liberty University, the "Bible Boot Camp" for young evangelicals, that will inspire believers and nonbelievers alike."

Leslie
    Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
    -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

dodger20

Bill Bryson is hilarious.

I'm almost done with "Tuesdays with Morrie."  Wonderful book.

i remember "tuesdays with morrie" is that by mitch albon? the movie was well done also as i recall

i remember "tuesdays with morrie" is that by mitch albon? the movie was well done also as i recall

Yes, it is (Albom).  He also wrote "Five People You Meet in Heaven," (plus a number of other books) which is next on my list.

I just finished "After Long Silence" by Helen Fremont who, as adults, she and her sister, who had been raised Catholic, found out their family was Jewish and their parents had survived the Holocaust.  One of those books that was hard to put down.

Leslie
        -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

Henrun

I’m reading a detective novel set in Bath England and centered around a half marathon. The Finisher by Peter Lovesey. A fun and fast read.

Henrun

I just put on hold at my local library a highly acclaimed new book by Daniel Lieberman (co-writer of Scott Jurek’s books), Exercised.

"The Big Burn: Teddy Roosevelt and the Fire that Saved America" by Tim Egan.

"On the afternoon of August 20, 1910, a battering ram of wind moved through the drought-stricken national forests of Washington, Idaho, and Montana, whipping the hundreds of small blazes burning across the forest floor into a roaring inferno that jumped from treetop to ridge as it raged, destroying towns and timber in the blink of an eye. Forest rangers had assembled nearly ten thousand men to fight the fires, but no living person had seen anything like those flames, and neither the rangers nor anyone else knew how to subdue them. Egan recreates the struggles of the overmatched rangers against the implacable fire with unstoppable dramatic force, and the larger story of outsized president Teddy Roosevelt and his chief forester, Gifford Pinchot, that follows is equally resonant. Pioneering the notion of conservation, Roosevelt and Pinchot did nothing less than create the idea of public land as our national treasure, owned by every citizen. Even as TR's national forests were smoldering they were saved: The heroism shown by his rangers turned public opinion permanently in favor of the forests, though it changed the mission of the forest service in ways we can still witness today."

A few years ago, after my husband read the book, we went to Wallace, ID (as part of a trip through WA and ID), and walked up the trail to where the cave is where Pulaski forced his men to take cover when the fire swept over them.  And yes, he developed what is known as the Pulaski, the tool every wildland fire fighter has in their tool kit.

Leslie
              -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

"The Indifferent Stars Above: The Harrowing Saga of a Donner Party Bride" by  Daniel James Brown

"Cycling Home from Siberia: 30,000 miles, 3 years, 1 bicycle" by Rob Lilwall

Both excellent reads.

Leslie
                -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

"The House in the Sky" by Amanda Lindhout and Sara Corbett.  Excellent read.

Leslie
                  -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

TammyinGP

Thanks leslie. I've been looking for some new reads so I'll look for this book.

Tammy

Autobiography by Mary Karr, in order: "The Liars' Club", "Cherry", and "Lit".  She puts a great sense of humor spin on a very hardscrabble, tough life, which included alcoholic parents, crazy mother, and two incidents of sexual abuse.  Doesn't sound like great reading, but after just 10 or so pages of "The Liars' Club," I was hooked on her writing.

Leslie
                      -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

RCG

Rose Colored Glasses

Doug knows what I read and I know the same about him. Per Goodreads.

I finished "Demon Copperhead" by Barbara Kingsolver last week.

The book is thoroughly researched as evidenced by what I know about the themes of the story and the setting.

It's over 600 pages. I found it difficult to take for the first couple hundred pages. However. It's definitely worth the effort to keep reading.

I haven't read a lot of Charles Dickens. I've heard Kingsolver has crafted a book worthy of him and his "David Copperfield "

The book is quite timely and I'm a better person for reading it.

"Anytime you see the word "inflation" in the news, replace it with "record-breaking corporate profits" and you'll get what's happening."

So what’s everyone reading these days?? I’ve been living psychological thrillers it am reading a book now based on a true story - The Girls are Gone.

denise

TammyinGP

I went to our local used bookstore just last week and picked up 4 books.  First one I'm reading is The Butterfly Garden: Surviving Childhood on the Run with One of America's Most Wanted. A memoir.  It's a quick read.

I also picked up a couple of Jodi Picoult books (can't remember titles off hand) and another by Elin Hilderbrand (the Identicals).   All look to be easy summer reads.

Tammy