Masters Running

10-4 Good Buddy (Read 39 times)

Tramps

Tramps--hope you were at least a LITTLE conflicted by that game.

Not really. I root for Caps first. If the Bruins are playing any other team, I'm all in for Boston, but not the Caps.

Dave--things will be better in Buffalo this year; Dahlin and all.  I can feel it. Maybe even the playoffs.  (But not against Boston tonight.)

Be safe. Be kind.

Hello Masters, I sure do enjoy reading the posts and getting a laugh from you all. Yeah, CB radios were such a rage here in the ‘70’s.  My DH and his brother has Business Band radios with their own frequency.  I hated talking on them.  Here at the utility office we have radios to the trucks and I hated using that too.  Now most of the guys have cell phones which makes communication in the field a lot easier.

Anyway, just checking in. I sure can’t keep up either, Dave. We took off with the motorhome the last week in September to enjoy the foilage “up North”.  We actually got all the way to Thunder Bay, Canada.  The weather could have been better.  If we’d have been in Ely, MN a week earlier, I could have signed up for a 5K, half marathon or marathon.  That would have been fun to watch the runners portaging a canoe!  The half or full can portage solo or with a relay.  Seriously, what will they think of next!

I only ran a couple of times on vacation but have been out a few times this week. Yesterday I went out in 85° with 38mph winds (gusting to 46), yikes! I mostly walked into the wind, but on the way back, woo hoo!

Welcome back Annarotech, did you know that the C25K has an app now too?

“Courage is not defined by those who fought and did not fall, but by those who fought, fell, and rose again.” — Adrienne Rich

36 minutes total at the gym (Prairie Life).  30 on the ARC trainer- sort of an elliptical but a little different and 6 on the LifeFitness elliptical, which I like better than the Precors.   Did some weights, too.   It's a nice gym.  I haven't been since 2014 when I got my own treadmill, and they have added more equipment and updated the place.  This will help me get through this.

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

Mike E

MM #5615

Hello everybody!

Yep--my dad had a CB radio in his car, when I was a kid, too.  I thought it was amazing that we could communicate with people as we drove down the road.

It has been a busy week and I have been wiped out every night when I get home...as I am, tonight.  I have been running pretty well, though--Monday was a "strength" workout where I ran 3 x 2 miles in 12:53 - 12:49 - 12:53; Wednesday was a tempo run where I ran 9 miles in 59:42; and today was a fairly easy 7 miler in 54:39 as I ran around our 800 meter course on the school grounds as the kids did their intervals.  Of course, I have some body parts that aren't liking me too much, right now...left hip...left foot...both Achille's tendons...but, it's too close to the marathon to be taking any time off, so they'll just have to not like me.

Okay--that's about all I have the energy for.  See ya!

Falconfixer

Hey y'all, my dad worked in the trucking industry (dispatcher, sales, eventually management) so there was a CB radio in the car along with just enough jargon to be dangerous.  Got to hear some interesting conversations.  Day got away from me which led to a run after work.  4.5 miles at a 9 min/mile pace.  Temps in the mid-90s, but seemed to feel less humid (could have been me hoping).

Have a great night everyone!

evanflein

Well Mike E, there's saying that and then having those body parts make the decision for you. And holy cow, wasn't a PBJ Special doing 8 mile in an hour? You did one mile better and under an hour. Wow. Be careful.

Good to see Anachrotech and BTY come by! I hope you can keep it up. Don't have to run, really. You all know that.

Stumpy! The ear infection is bad enough, but what brought it on? Sounds like whatever it is/was, it's hitting pretty hard. Feel better!

Starr! Good to see you, too! I was just thinking about you the other day, how it's been what a couple years since you were here? Good thing you weren't here this September, it was really wet almost all month.

So... there's still baseball going on? I can't ever keep this stuff straight. We've been done with baseball and softball for quite some time around here. Just seems weird to have baseball, football and hockey all going at the same time. And tennis, right? I think I saw something about tennis finals somewhere recently. It's all nuts.

I don't think I posted yesterday. Ran 8.5 pretty good strong miles (heh, "strong miles" not to be confused with Mike E's "strength" workout) after work. Today I got out a little earlier and ran 5.6 mostly easy effort miles that picked up the pace a bit with the tailwind (but nothing like what Starr dealt with!).

Thinking of trying 18-20 miles this weekend, then have a half marathon next weekend (10/13) that I'm hoping our weather holds out for. Then the Narragansett Marathon in RI on the 28th. We'll be going in and leaving from Boston, and staying at La Tortuga's so hope to see some of you!

Joe618

I said "Pig Pen, this here's Rubber Duck,

We ain't a gonna pay no toll."

So we smashed the gates, doin' 98,

I said "Let them truckers roll."  10-4 

C.W. McCall, American Poet, in "Convoy"

Steve, brilliant use of October 4 to mark CB Day.   Mercy sakes, good buddy, I gotta solid copy on ya.

StarrRuns:   If we’d have been in Ely, MN a week earlier, I could have signed up for a 5K, half marathon or marathon.  That would have been fun to watch the runners portaging a canoe!  The half or full can portage solo or with a relay.  Seriously, what will they think of next!

Cool!!   I was originally going to run the Ely Marathon this fall...given my last name is Ely, it was an obvious choice.   My son lives in Minneapolis and he was going to run the HM and we'd have an Ely Weekend at Ely Marathon.   But, in April, he and his wife let us know they were expecting and we'd need to move that plan back a year.   Looking forward to having a T shirt with my name on the front.

Steve:  The newer Toyota Hulls have a tendency to surge as soon as a side shift or tilting lever is released. That's a heck of a challenge when handling units if fragile and valuable merchandise. Is Toyota aware of happening out in the field?

Interesting.   In the tour, they made a Big Deal of the automated "Stability System" in their fork trucks which had sensors to monitor load shifts and unsafe mast tilt angles.   Might be worth asking the Dealer and say "Is this really part of the SAS system"??

Herun:  Dave 59- there are some 75year olds in our club who still run 7 minute miles, Our 74 year old former club president set world records in the 70 -74 female age group in the mile and 5K. You’re only as old as you feel๐Ÿƒ‍โ™€๏ธ.

Man.   That's inspiring.   I really have wondered just where my plans go as I turn 65 next week and hoping to still go long.   I feel great and agree fully...and that could potentially be one interesting way to go...shorter distances, more speed work.

May not post for a few days, as we have a family wedding in the heart of Chicago on Saturday afternoon/evening.   Conveniently, it will also allow me to be a spectator at the Chicago Marathon on Sunday Morning.    I've never actually been a spectator at a marathon, I'm looking forward to the experience.   The hotel where we are staying is right on the course, at mile 1.   I'll be out early enough to cross the street, watch the leaders come through mile 1, then I turn around, walk 4 blocks and get set at mile 3 to see the leaders again and then all the runners.    Having run Chicago three times, it'll be fun to be a spectator and see it from a different angle.   

Keep the bugs off the glass and the bears off your glutes, good buddies....

________

I have nothing particularly clever or profound to add as a tag to each message...I just like to run.   

My friend and I had the local CB club looking for us, because we played around on our walkie talkies that were some CB channel or another. They got as close as parking down the street, chasing the signal as it got stronger. There were threats of imprisonment for not using the proper CB etiquette and call signs.  Rural Oregonians in the 70's took their CBing seriously, they had organized clubs with meetings and matching jackets and everything.

Zero zip nada again; too much work not enough day.

60-64 age group  -  University of Oregon alumni  -  Irreverent and Annoying

BTY

Hi Runners,

thanks for for the encouragement.  Did a chest/shoulder/triceps workout this morning. Walked a couple of miles at a brisk pace at lunchtime. Swam 1200 yards in 27:00 tonight. Same distance and swimming pace as Tuesday evening but made the intervals 4*300 instead of 8*150 so only 3:00 of rest instead of 7:00 to 8:00.  This because my HR is only getting up to the middle 130s instead of 140’s, and it’s quickly recovering to below 120.  Next (Saturday) I’ll try 2*600 yards and see where we go from there.  Oh yeah can’t forget I did my stretching routine before strength training this morning and before swimming tonight.

Why am I so hungry ๐Ÿ˜‹???

mrrun

Thinking of trying 18-20 miles this weekend, then have a half marathon next weekend (10/13) that I'm hoping our weather holds out for. Then the Narragansett Marathon in RI on the 28th. We'll be going in and leaving from Boston, and staying at La Tortuga's so hope to see some of you!

we're getting back from calif on the 29th - hope you're not leaving immediately after, so maybe we can see you.  I can't find a course map, but you start at a really nice beach and probably run along the narragansett bay.

marj

evanflein

Marj, I'll have to check my trip stuff again but I think we leave 7 pm Tuesday, so we could do something Monday?

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

we're getting back from calif on the 29th - hope you're not leaving immediately after, so maybe we can see you.  I can't find a course map, but you start at a really nice beach and probably run along the narragansett bay.

marj

Boy, LaT has become RA central for Boston visitors.  Certainly is an excellent hostess.  hope to hear if there's anything approaching an official get-together.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.