Masters Running

Monday, 1/11/10 runs and other things (Read 539 times)

I had a greta 5K race yesterday!   I went at the spur of the moment by myself, after not doing much running all week, and surprised myself with a big PR.    Can't tell you how happy I was - completely obnoxious at the awards ceremony, where I only knew one man.   Jumped around and yelled, and carried on like crazy.  

Congratulations!  Even bigger congratulations on being obnoxious aka excited as all get out!

Perch - Just practice?  Gulp! I hope not.  That's the biggest one we've had in about 20 years.  The last big one caused a lot of damage in Ferndale, just south of us, which is a California Historical Landmark.  That one was a roller.  This one was a north to south shaker.  Just as I suspected, there's a bit of damage in Old Town here since a lot of the buildings are very old and not up to earthquake standards (many of them have to have postings saying such).

Leslie
    Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
    -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Franc59

Half Fanatic #36

Why is it that fatozzig's pictures of her home after an earthquake look like mine on an average day?     

...funny my thought exactly about my own house...!!

..glad everybody is OK, Leslie.

Talking about comparing and complaining about  high priced races like Disney  and the small ones I like : Bridle Trails cost me just 50cents per K or even better about $3.50 per hour...and got plenty of great food...can't beat that!!!

Second day on no running for me. The back of my heel is still hurting a bit, nothing really to do with Sat race I think,but I didn't actually mind staying in today given the pouring rain.  

A great evening  to all !

Francesca

Our house is decorated "early ransacked" style.

Quit being so damn serious! When we change the way we look at things, the things we look at change. "Ya just gotta let it go." OM
        TammyinGP

Woods Lady - perhaps you missed my response when I responded awhile back about Pear Blossom . . . yes, I'll be running the 10 mile part. I think this will be my 4th year running yet. John wants to try and run it also so barring any setbacks in his training, he'll be there also. 

I have you and Econo down for a room for one night and I'll do my best to accomodate that - although it might be tricky depending on who else is coming and how many nights they are staying. I think most people (at least so far) are staying for the two nights that I plan on renting that large condo and a few others that are staying longer or are bringing their spouses are renting a studio. It's a two night minimum for any of the units. But once everyone who is coming chimes in with their preference on staying in the large condo or getting their own studio, i'll be able to let you and Econo know if there is a room available for just the one night.

Tammy

As far as the "ransack" style - I have no kids to help with the decor of my home.

Leslie
            Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
            -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

wildchild

Carolyn

I tried to post earlier from work, but couldn't type anything in the "reply" box when it came up. Now I'm home and it's working ok. 

Leslie, wow. I've never experienced an earthquake. Kind of cool but scary at the same time.  My DD doesn't help with the "ransacked" look nearly as much as my DH - he's a pro!

Perch, hope the knee is OK! Ouch.

Nono, how's your ankle, after twisting it twice? Double Ouch.

Erika, my leg and foot are fine when I'm not running. Today's day 11 for me, too. On my walk on Saturday I tried a short run, and the pain in my shin came right back, so I stopped.  Feels OK to walk, though. I finally made an appointment for next Monday.  I hope making the appointment will magically make it better, kind of like washing your car makes it rain. (not that I ever wash my car...)

I've been following the Disney discussion with interest.  I really dislike crowds so I stay away from big races, and it's worked out fine for me.  Fiascoes like Disney just reinforce that idea. One of the biggest races around here is the Bolder Boulder, a 10K with something like 50,000 people. I've heard it's well run and has a good wave start, but I avoid it like the plague.  (Plus there's not a chance of an AG award at big races!  My last half had 3 people in my AG.)

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

Maniac 505

Wow!  ((Leslie's house)).    I've been through a several that I felt,  a couple that got my attention, but none that broke stuff (one came close)  glad all was OK.

Day two of no running,  most minor of niggles,  as I get older maybe I get wiser, or maybe I just get more chicken?  any way.  hope to head out for 10 or so in the morning.  working days starting Wednesday AM,  I was scheduled for nights, but my boat will be in the shipyard. (scheduled annual maintenance).  This is a nice bonus for me and I should be able to ramp things up a little more then usual during my work week.

Franc:  Congrats on slogging through bridal trails.  sounds like the weather was better then usual?

and PBJ,  I predict you will not be in shape for a PR in Boston, but you will be ready.  If I thought there was a need, I would say enjoy the day,  but I know I don't need to say that.  You will!

evanflein

as I get older maybe I get wiser, or maybe I just get more chicken?  

Well, Dave, I'm hoping it's a little bit of both. I've been saying I'm going to start running again soon, but then I say "maybe just give it one more day." I want to start this week... original plan was 10 days to 2 weeks. Well, we're coming up on 2 weeks and no plan yet. I had so many improvements, followed by setbacks the last couple of months, I'm more than a little askeered to start up again.

Tonight I braved the cold and headed to the gym/pool after work. Holy cow was it crowded! I had to park in the back lot so it was a good .1 mile walk to the entrance... at -27° temps! oy... Most of those appeared to be resolutionists in the fitness room though, as I was able to get a lane to myself in the pool for the first 20 minutes, then the whole deep end for 4 lanes' worth for the last 20 minutes (water aerobics occupies four lanes' worth of the shallow end, and I had the deep to myself). 40 minutes total, most of it moderate to hard "intervals" with some easy bits in between.

I have not run or anything since Thursday. My foot had a set back after Thursdays Elliptical work out. It has quieted back down but now I am in the same spot as Erika and a few others around here. I think I will just do the bike this week as that doesn't seem to agravate my foot. I really need to get going .My base was not all that great when I decided to do a spring marathon (20-25 per week) but  I had plenty of time before Marathon training officially started. Now I am into week 4 of hardly any running and I may have to take off yet some more time. Hoefully I will be able to start on the 25th and at this point will probably do a begginers schedule to just finish. and be happy with that.  If not I may have to scrap the whole thing.     $$$$$

I am reading  Born to Run  and after two days am almost done with it. (reading about running instead of running) A very motivational read. I just wish I could use that motivation to my advantage. Maybe next week will be my big chance. Even if its a stress fracture 5- 6 weeks is the normal  healing time. If not I guess I will have to scare it out of me like Carolyn and make a Dr. Appointment.  

Chumbawamba: I get knocked down But I get up again You're never going to keep me down

Hallar,

I've been reading Born to Run too.  It is a fascinating read!  When I run now I keep saying to myself "Think Easy, Light, Smooth, Fast".  (As if!)

Bill

"Some are the strong, silent type. You can't put your finger on exactly what it is they bring to the table until you run without them and then you realize that their steadiness fills a hole that leaks energy in their absence." - Kristin Armstrong

Thanks, Tammy.   In the mean time, see you and John (so glad he is back running)  on Apr. 10.
                        dg.

Hallar,

I've been reading Born to Run too.  It is a fascinating read!  When I run now I keep saying to myself "Think Easy, Light, Smooth, Fast".  (As if!)

Bill

me too!   and...  if easy's all you've got, that ain't bad.     or something like that.  had to return it  (overdue).   I love that book!

and Byll, of course you are.

back to cobol.   help I'm drowning. 

(((( Hallar ))))