Masters Running

Monday's Daily, 6.26.17 (Read 37 times)

flats

turtle runner eximious

I headed out tonight to do my 8.66 mile course. What, you don't have a 8.66 mile course? I was looking forward to it since last night. Ya, I know, silly. I got to mile 5-ish when the skies opened up, despite the 10% chance of rain. It was fun to run in the rain, until the thunder and lighting started. So I got my bearings, and figured out the quickest way home. The next mile, I did a 10 minute mile. And for the record, I do not run 10 minute miles. But throw in the threat of lighting, I guess I can run 10 minute miles.

It stopped raining about 0.25 miles from home. What I found amazing was despite being soaking wet, my tech shirt felt like it weighed a weather. Clothing technology is amazing.

7.19 for me tonight.

Michael

All great things must come to an end. How awful! Today, alas, is my last full day with Mariposai and her DH. Tomorrow it is off to the airport, as I head off for the next leg of my trip. As for today it was as wonderful an adventure as all those before. We started with a 6 7 mile run to Omak Lake and back.

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

evanflein

Flats, that sounds like my run yesterday. I'll run in rain but a downpour is another thing, and lightning is a deal killer.

Decided to try my 14 miler today that got thwarted yesterday and it was an entirely different experience and not really a good one. Legs were tired from the start and it felt so hot out there. I went from hoping it didn't rain to thinking a little sprinkle would feel good! Nope, just bright sunshine the whole way except for one cloud crossing in front of the sun in mile 9. Made it to just past 6 and turned around. Lots of stops to seek shade, a breeze or a rest. DH showed up with water just before mile 8 and that probably saved me. I miss the days I could go out for 15 to 20 milers with no water and be fine. Recovered quickly too. No longer. I need support mid run and it takes me days to recover. But I guess if those are my biggest complaints about aging, I'm doing pretty well.

12.3 miles in sunny 77 degrees.

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

five miles as the nineties over the weekend

dipped to more runable seventies.

Rosie - great that Ralph’s got a cruise lined up instead of flying in with only enough time for a pit stop at the Convention Center bib pick-up (no expo) and 13.2 miles of the Douglas Highway before leaving on the afternoon flight for the next day’s Bearfest Marathon in Wrangell, . . . although that wouldn’t be too bad either.
          Of course, since I grew up there, I’d never pay to go on a whale watching cruise so was sorry and chagrined when DD purchased one for us a couple of years ago.  However, it turned out to be fantastic to see how much whale stocks have recovered since those days to favor us with several pods of bubble-feeding humpbacks, an aging residential female and orca killer whales too.  .
          However, getting over to John Muir-land over in Glacier Bay would be even better but, in those days, why would anyone go over there to see glaciers when the Mendenhall Glacier down the road was so scenic and had such good hikes, running, x-c skiing, fishing, ducks,  mountain biking, even swimming in the adjacent warm kettle ponds, etc.  Maybe you can make it up for me.
          Unfortunately, DD’s bringing GS down to Seattle at the end of July so I’ll miss this year’s marathon.  However, with you and Ralph up there, I know I’ll be getting a first hand report.  In fact, in case he might want to add something different for no. 50, maybe try part of all of it barefoot so my friends won’t miss me so much. <<<(ed note: right)>>>

I’ll be back next year though for the 40th anniversary of running the Juneau Marathon in 1978 for the first of several runnings with Frank Maier most of the way. He also was a pure non-trainer and we could do it in those days just by living up there and hiking, skiing, hunting, chopping wood, etc.  keeping us in good enough shape to run 26.2 miles, albeit (whoops) at a somewhat recreational pace. .

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)