Masters Running

Wednesday, June 10 - Happy Hump Day Runs and such..... (Read 484 times)

Alex - thank you for sharing - that was beautiful!!

Teresa - enjoy your rest days!!

Holly - you already rock in my book!!

Roch - great pics!!

Mari - your friend will be in my prayers.....

i was up early to make breakfast for my son before he went to school but then back to bed for me -- i feel like i finally caught up on some much needed sleep!!  now time to step away from the computer and get my run in!!

denise

Alex - Thank you for sharing.  I often think of my mom when I'm running.  Walking a mile would've been inconceivable to her, let alone running.

Roch - Love that first pic!

Maripos - My thoughts and prayers to your friend.

30 min of cycling to nowhere whilst rooting on Bruce Willis and Ben Affleck in their attempts to save the world from an out-of-control meteor, and 30+ min of core/strength.  Ran out of time and had to cut it short.

Last night was playing around with the Garmin Training Center and found out that it calculates the elevation of my runs.  Says this past Sunday during my 9.75-mile run I hadI 7133 feet of ascent and 7067 of descent.  Neat!  Can't figure out how to copy the info or the graphs over to here, though.

This morning, had a gentleman in line behind me at the coffee shop say, "You're looking rather slim this morning."  Ends up I know him (a local attorney), but he didn't know who I was at first.  I could've kissed him!  Guess these $60 blue jeans I bought for $30 were worth the money.

Leslie
      Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
      -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

You may recall me posting about a coworker who ran Eugene last month in just over 4 hours.  I've been thinking he was a "new" runner.

Nope.

He once ran a 4:18 mile and used to run 16 minute 5K's in his youth.

He's just a newly returning runner.  He just hasn't run in 15 years or so.  And to think I've been helping him with his training plan.  He's still in slim, trim shape.  He's going to get fast right quick I have a feeling ...

Bill

"Some are the strong, silent type. You can't put your finger on exactly what it is they bring to the table until you run without them and then you realize that their steadiness fills a hole that leaks energy in their absence." - Kristin Armstrong

Leslie
          Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
          -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

roch, thanks for the neat race pictures.  mariposai, that's terrible about your friend's husband.  My thoughts are with her.  Also, mariposai, nice speed work.

This morning it was in the low 50s and almost calm.  I got in 5 miles in about 48 minutes for a 9:36 pace.

A good day and good runs for all.

TomS

dg.

Doug... that's a great shot!    Way to show the youngsters.    ... (I'll keep practicing)(& why would anyone want to?)

Alex, of course it's ok.  please send greetings to your dad.

Erica, Holly,  Twocat... thanks for the advice & the encouragement.    (just took a deep breath).  It helps a lot.  yippee!  forward ho.    

But Twocat.....   not win??    (insert Steve Martin's Ruprecht voice..)   Smile

Is your leg ok with your new activities?

(((Mariposai)))

Bill... nice of you to help the poor guy.   :-)

SRL,  from what I can remember, it can.

I had a much better morning today than I did yesterday.   I walked Sadie first, then a little nervously tried another run, this time the hilly neighborhood version.  I only did 3.53 miles (thanks for the distance Nono Wink ) but I was being careful, & it went ok.  phew.  10:13 average pace, 8:10 max. 154 ahr,.   

Then I went to PT... 2 good things.  My sacral torsion was back, which is good because it could help explain some of the recent problems.  Also, she used low dye taping (why do they call it that?) on my ankle, which I think will help.  It was really nice of her, she doesn't have a prescription for it.  I'm encouraged. 

{{{{{Hugs to Boomers in need}}}}}}  With my mom dying so young I'm reminded so often how precious life is and far too short.

Nice pics Roch!!

Thanks for all the b-day wishes yesterday   Ribs:  No, I thought I saw his handle either here or on KR a few months back but I haven't heard from him.  And yep, he was the one that invited me to join ya'll, I'm very grateful.

3 easy miles 26 min flat.  Just a few months ago I was running in the upper 9's for my easy runs, and now with mostly consistent running and a few races my easy runs are around 8:40 plus or minus for the wx and hydration.

Pleasant hump day!

rs

Troy Strawberry Festival 10k - 6/7/09 - Goal 46:xx -->46:18!!; Americana 5k - 7/4/09 - Goal 21:xx-->21:12!!; Brookville 5 miler - 7/25/09 - Goal-->34:xx-->36:21; Crim 10 Miler - 8/22/09 - Goal sub-1:15-->1:14:14!!; Alter 5k - 9/5/09 - Goal 20:xx-->20:32; AF Marathon - 9/19/09 - Goal sub-3:38 (PR)--> 3:41 (BQ)

abelisle very touching poem.  It reminded me of my father who passed away well over a decade ago and who I still miss very much.

dg. ok, maybe you can still win it!    As to my leg it is fine with my gym workout and 10 minutes on the elliptical and then 5 walking backwards on the TM.  For today, at least, that tunnel seems to be getting closer.

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

evanflein

Touching poem, Alex. Thanks for sharing. We have a good mix of all pieces of life here and the real value of this forum is our ability to share and support each other.

Mariposai, so sorry for your friend. It is a selfish act, but the person who does that really sees no other way out of their pain. It's so intense that any consideration for the ones they leave behind is gone. My brother-in-law's daughter's husband killed himself on mothers' day this past month. We're still trying to figure out what was going on in his head. A tragic mystery, oftentimes.

Nice race photos, Roch! I love that you're leading the ladies in that first shot. When, oh when, will we get dg to step to the other side of the lens?

Another beautiful day here, but still no rain. The smoke we had yesterday is mostly gone, but I can't see the Alaska range out my window so I know it's still out there. Article in the paper says to prepare ourselves for a smoky summer... very dry, breezy and lots of lightening strikes (and careless humans). My lawn looks awful...

Had my follow up doc appointment today. I was so excited that he'd be happy with my progress and declare me free to go do whatever. Instead I got dour warnings about the degeneration of my lumbar vertebrae and that I'd never be "cured," but would have to manage it for the rest of my life, etc, etc. Geez, what a downer that dude is. But his point is well taken and I'll call my PT for one last appointment (for now at least) to get the lower body/trunk strengthening routine he wanted her to give me (but she hasn't yet) so I can continue to work on core strength and increase my miserable level of flexibility. DH and I are also going to look into some beginner yoga classes which should be fun. One good thing about falling apart as we grow older is the opportunity to do more things together... although I'd sure rather it were some other activity besides rehab.

Speaking of DH, he's been having recurring knee pain and ITB issues. He's had surgery on his left knee twice, and a recent MRI indicates he needs to be 'scoped again! He has a partial tear in the cartilage of his knee on the inside. And the doc was impressed that while he usually doesn't see knee tendinitis on an MRI, on DH it was loud and clear! So... he's got some PT ahead of him as well as the orthoscope procedure, and we figured the yoga might help as well.

Have a nice evening everyone from the woods on the far West Coast.  I went out this afternoon in gorgeous weather to the woods, and did a C25K routine, plus some other walk/running.  I was very happy to be able to do it today - the first since my 10K on Sat.  I did notice that my calves are sore from lack of hills this past week.   Now I am back at it again.  Some of the problems I read about here make me very thankful to be healthy, as is my family.   Woods Lady
                      SteveP

Happy Hump Day!

4 miles with the Brinkster today .... 9:40 avg. pace which seems to be our norm.   Lovely morning, although I really didn't need the gloves that I had laid out....therefore wore. 

Have a great day!

Any one else miss Roy talking about his "Woody"?

Thanks Alex. A few nights ago I had my first dream about Mom since she passed. I was going to the packet pick up at a marathon and Mom was there with her walker and smoking. She was signing up for the race and I was trying to talk her out of it. Not very supportive of me I know.  I kept reminding her about how easliy her bones broke.....Then there's the weird things I come up with.

Hang in there Nono

Columbus rocks?

Ever try mixing Columbus rocks and Coke? I heard a kid choked

I've had stahe side tickets to Ian Hunter....I'm getting old.

We're encouraged too DG.

The dog and I got a mile in tonight. We seldom get a run in Wednesday. Sweet.

SteveP

well - i got my run in if you can call it that........i felt miserable right from the start -- legs felt like lead, breathing slightly labored and after about 3 miles of an out and back i felt dizzy every time i took a walk break -- not what i wanted for today ........... actually almost called one of my sons to pick me up, but instead i just ran slow when i could and walked when i needed to -- when it was all said and done i did 7.8 miles in 1:25:40 -- at least i did it..........then into the gym for some standing core work and stretching

denise

Renee the dog

I got fogged out tonight.  Fogged out.  I gotta get a conference call into Mother Nature.  This ain't right for June.   Knew it wasn't good when it got dark at 7:45 and we're approaching the day of most daylight...meaning it should be light until 9:30 'round here....

I will make it up tomorrow.  Hoping the fog rolls back out to sea tonight....

GOALS 2012: UNDECIDED

GOALS 2011: LIVE!!!

dg.

Any one else miss Roy talking about his "Woody"?

Thanks Alex. A few nights ago I had my first dream about Mom since she passed. I was going to the packet pick up at a marathon and Mom was there with her walker and smoking. She was signing up for the race and I was trying to talk her out of it. Not very supportive of me I know.  I kept reminding her about how easliy her bones broke.....Then there's the weird things I come up with.

We're encouraged too DG.

The dog and I got a mile in tonight. We seldom get a run in Wednesday. Sweet.

thanks Steve.       & yes, I do miss Roy & his Woody!

hope you & my little buddy got in your run.

Some time you'll have to tell us about the weird things.   ... um, I think.

Leslie that was funny.    For a while.  Then I kept wanting to hurt her.  

Denise... hope you're ok!

SRL, you too.

Erika... hugs for your back & your DH"s knee!   yikes I guess a downer.  Today I was reading a book I do like, but the chapter was on age related changes in runners.  definitely a downer.   was time to turn the page.  several pages.