Masters Running

Remember the Ten 10K RR (Read 213 times)

pfriese

From the website: http://www.remembertheten.com/about/ "On January 27, 2001, 10 members of the Oklahoma State University family died in a plane crash in Colorado. On April 21, 2007, the Oklahoma State University family came together to celebrate the lives of the 10 who perished by holding a memorial run on the OSU campus. The "Remember The Ten Run" has now become an annual tradition, held on the third Saturday of April each year." Intro: This is a special run that I have made a priority to run since its creation. A family friend perished in the plane crash that took the lives of two OSU basketball players along with 5 other OSU athletic department staff members and two pilots. The grandmother of this young man was my mothers best friend. She turned 80 on Thursday and her children & grandchildren were having a nice celebration for her after the race. Her daughter, grand-daughter, and great grand-daughter along with DW accompanied her on the 1 mile fun run/walk (actually they tried to keep up with her). This race is always the weekend before the OKC Memorial Marathon. Since my spring marathon was in February this year, I was able to race without concern for a marathon the next weekend. Goal for the race: Since I had not raced a short distance since the New Years Day 5K and had three weeks of no running in late February/early March, I was unsure of how the race would go. My plan was to at least try to finish sub 50:00. Weather: IRC! 52 degrees, very light occasional mist, no wind!!! The race: Pre-race comments by Coach Sutton, followed by 10 seconds of silence in remembrance. Then ready, set & a shotgun blast from Pistol Pete and the race was off. The start was good and I immediately found a comfortable even pace. Always fun to race in a college town with the young'ns. A few of which set off way too fast both at the start and up the hill to the 4K marker (my sister was a time caller here, thanks sis). After the 4K marker only a couple of runners passed me and I started passing the early burnouts. Always great fun . In the last 5K no one passed me and it was easy to stay on pace and just keep reeling other runners in. In the final K, I realized that I had probably been running a bit too easy on such a perfect day and picked up the pace. Chip time: 47:23 a new PR of 1:30! Splits: 1K - 4:37 2K - 4:44 3K - 4:41 4K - 4:52 5K - 4:48 6K - 4:45 7K - 4:46 8K - 4:41 9K - 4:43 10K - 4:31 AG 4/17 After the race: I went to clean up as best I could to go to the fantastic 80th birthday party for a wonderful lady. A fine race and a fine day. Thanks for reading, Paul
      Congrats on the PR, Paul. Very consistent pacing. I need to run this. I've wanted to, but it does interfere with OCMM a bit. Your report is prodding me to make this race a priority in the future. Again, nicely done.
      Quit being so damn serious! When we change the way we look at things, the things we look at change. "Ya just gotta let it go." OM
        Great RR and congrats on your PR! AwesomeBlush
          pfriese, great running in a race that means a lot to you. Congrats on your big PR. TomS
          SteveP

Sweet RR Paul. Gotta love a new PR!

SteveP

RCG

Rose Colored Glasses

That was cool, Paul! I think running is a great tribute to honour fallen friends. Wow. And to PR, too! Excellent.

"Anytime you see the word "inflation" in the news, replace it with "record-breaking corporate profits" and you'll get what's happening."

Great PR, Paul! Hope your friend had a wonderful 80th birthday. What a way to celebrate such a young age! Smile

Leslie
                Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

wildchild

Carolyn

Congrats on the PR! Sounds like a good time with friends and family , and a good remembrance of those who died in the plane crash.

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

Good race Paul, Its great that so many races have deeper meanings. Larry

Chumbawamba: I get knocked down But I get up again You're never going to keep me down

Great race and great PR! Nice to pass those burn outs eh?

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

King of PhotoShop

You continue to improve Paul, which is so much fun to see. So happy for you. Spareribs
                          that's a great PR Paul!! Congratulations!!

denise

#artbydmcbride

Excellent racing pfriese! Congratulations! Smile

Runners run

Marathon Maniac #957

A fine race and a fine day.
                              Awesome! Congratulations on your PR!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."