Masters Running

Weds 7/8 Daily....Masters Rock I tell Ya!!! (Read 425 times)

Okay - Seeing how this goes today.  I re-downloaded Firefox 3.5, so . . . .

Boy, some amazing workouts, some amazing falls.  You guys never fail to keep things lively.

Holly - Your ankle made me cringe and remember when I destroyed mine about 10 years ago.  Grade 3 sprain.  It was horrible.  Keep an eye on that thing and, just like everyone is saying, take it easy on it for a couple of days.  Sometimes our body parts to into a sort of shock . . . then come out of it and say, "WTH happened here??"

3 miles this a.m., 1 easy, 1 rp, 1 easy, and during the last mile, an old nemesis reared its ugly head: hip flexor.   Absolutely unbelievable.  Actually, I should've known something was coming down the pike, 'cause something almost always does right before a race.  I'll have to be aggressive with this, or it'll literally stop me in my tracks if it gets worst.  May I say a few cuss words about this??? %$^&*  and #$*&^ and %^(*&.

Have a great Hump Day, folks ~

Leslie
    Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
    -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Mariposai

Well, look who is having so much fun while in Japan. Here is tetsujin with some goddesses he met long the way while hiking to the top of Mt. Fuji.

Tetsujin with the lucky few who got to hike Mt. Fuji on the very first day the trails were open for the season.

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

Roch - that sounds like so much fun!  Wish my DH thought that, too. 

I should mention that this trip is strictly without my DW, who is definitely no camper! Her idea of "roughing it" is staying in a hotel with only one restaurant.

By the way, Holly, I've had a problem of turning my ankle probably the same way you did. It's extremely painful for a couple of minutes after it happens, but it amazingly doesn't seem to have a lasting effect. With any luck, this is what you did. But you have my permission to "slack off" for a few days if it gives you any trouble.

Doug, runnin' cycling in Rochester, MI

"Think blue, count two, and look for a red shoe"

dg.

... Doug is scaring me just a little!   anybody know who's going to report to him?  I'm working on a bribe.  Wink

Doug... are there fines?  

I know.   want me to watch the board while you're gone?  :-)  

i'm lovin' it... MM#1949

Holly.. hope it's fine. I had a similar sharp ankle pain from stepping wrong on a rock 8 miles from home, but it recovered quickly and I was able to run home.  After that I bought Road ID just in case... but I still don't carry a cell phone, do you?

Nice pics of Tet in an incredible place!

3 Magical Healing Miles with Tory and Sadie in 30:53 (10:20 pace, AHR 140)

Perch's Profile "I don't know if running adds years to your life, but it definitely adds life to your years." - Jim Fixx "The secret is to make in your mind possible what was not possible before. The secret is to make easy what was difficult, instead to make difficult what really is easy." - Coach Renato Canova

Holly S. I am going to add my two cents here and suggest a day off of the ankle "just in case."  Can you switch your day off from running?  Just do your no run day tomorrow and tomorrow's run on what would have been your no run day.  If the ankle is fine on Friday you know you are good to go and this avoids any chance you have a mild sprain that running will exacerbate.

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

Hi y'all!

http://www.sawxblog.com/2008/02/red-sox-extend.html

--TIMBO, here's our guy--and you should see him in his glasses, rather like yours, too!

Great Globe article today about Tito and Pedey--Pedey missed the start of the game Monday night as his 7-month pregnant wife went into the hosp with complications.  

Pedey explains: “My wife told me to come back here and play the game so I came back,’’ said Pedroia. “I kind of do what I’m told. Tito said, ‘You got to get out of here, man. Obviously, you got to take care of your family.’ I headed back, spent the night. It’s good. They had this little bed in there."  

Count me among the cautious asking Holly to take it easy tomorrow.

Mari, you and Dove and Holly have inspired me--maybe I'll do the 50K at the Leanhorse here in August.  2 friends are doing the 50 milers, but I don't think I could handle that.

Tell tet I mentioned him and even quoted him in my next column -- will send it (it's not online) to an address.  I enjoyed the photos crunching on Japanese crackers.  My boss is back today from her wedding/honeymoon.  She speaks Japanese and lived there for a time, so her friends there send her some local goodies.  I love the spicy crackers!

5 and a thrid for me in 46:07.

grins,

A

Masters 2000 miles

Marathon Maniac #957

Holly S. I am going to add my two cents here and suggest a day off of the ankle "just in case."  Can you switch your day off from running?  Just do your no run day tomorrow and tomorrow's run on what would have been your no run day.  If the ankle is fine on Friday you know you are good to go and this avoids any chance you have a mild sprain that running will exacerbate.

Twocat and friends - I was thinking of doing just this, as you said "just in case."  Friday is my normal day off/light day/x-training day, so I thought I'd switch that out with tomorrow instead.  DD wants me to take her running in the morning anyway, which is mostly about a mile of running with little walk breaks, so basically a very light day.

Roch - nice that you can do this sort of trip without DW.  I don't know how my DH would feel about it, though.  Seattle was one thing, but I think he'd worry more about me taking a trip like yours.

Amy - go for it!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Henrun

Holly, listen to your body!    

Delightful 7 mile run this morning along Boston Harbor as the sun made a cameo appearance (between floods, hail, and near tornado conditions in nearby suburbs). I met Marj who was running on her lunch hour and we continued to run along the harbor. The tall ships have landed and we saw many of them during the run dodging multi tourists.

Henrun

Tall Ships arrive in Boston

The Bounty, of Greenport, N.Y., left, and the Picton Castle, from Lunenburg, Nova Scotia, right, made their way into Boston Harbor today.

For a while, their arrival was in doubt, but the first Tall Ships arrived under heavy rainfall Tuesday morning.

The Bounty, of Greenport, N.Y., left, and the Picton Castle, from Lunenburg, Nova Scotia, right, made their way into Boston Harbor today. For a while, their arrival was in doubt, but the first Tall Ships arrived under heavy rainfall Tuesday morning.

Renee the dog

Tall ships look great!  Must have been great to run along beside them.

Renee and I got out for 4.8 of our scheduled 5 miler...the wind died and 50 varieties of bugs arrived out in force, and the last 2/10 just wasn't as important as getting behind screens! 

Good night everybody! 

GOALS 2012: UNDECIDED

GOALS 2011: LIVE!!!

Nancy and Henrun.  Thanks for the photos.   Tet - did you try to run in those things?   

We get to see some of the Tall Ships about every other year here.  They come down the US coast, and make stops.  Very beautiful.

Nancy, when will you be down this way?   Maybe Econo can come see you and me at the same time.   A good run in the woods, or on the beach would be in order.

I had a great run up on my hill road today.  I worked in my C25K routine of two 10 min. intervals, with 2 min. walk inbetween.  Before that, I had done a not fast, but pretty steep and rough half mile on the trail.  Afterwwards, I ran and walked for another 40 min. or so.  Then back down. the whole thing took 1 hr, 35 min.  Also,  I am gradually learning how to use the heart rate thingy.   Woods Lady

evanflein

Cool ships, Henry.

Doug, I like your wife. My DH says my idea of roughing it is staying at the Holiday Inn. (Hey, the one I stay at in Brookline could almost really be called roughing it! 

Well here's something I don't get to post often... Today's temp when I attempted my run was... 90F! Not sure if that's a record for today, but at 7:45 pm it's still 86 and our house is so hot! So I figured I'd go out easy and see what happened. I already changed plans from the 8 miles of hills to 8 miles easy. Headed out, using DH's Garmin (which is my old 205) since my 305 seems to be having a pissy fit. The pace was hidden, and only time and distance show. Cool, just what I needed. So, headed down the road with a bottle of water and tried to keep it easy. Stashed the water at mile 3, picked it up again at mile 5.5, tried to run back up to my road with a sloshing bottle and wilting legs... made it another half mile. Hellwithit. Walked a mile before DS1 came to get me (I met a friend with a phone... yay!). Was thinking if I was Holly I'd do the other two miles of my plan on the treadmill in the cool basement, but we had to get gas for the car and by the time we got home all thoughts of that had passed...

Sure not used to this heat, and it's really dry here, too. 33% humidity now... Hoping for some thunderstorms tonight, but don't need the lightning (sparks more fires, eek!).

Aamos...you asked about Palin's attorney? Yes, that's my DH's little brother. (we're the only Van Flein's around that I know of...)

TammyinGP

cool big boats Henrun!

wow Erika, that's hot! We have cooled off comfortably here - low 80's during the day, down in the low 70's  by early evening and very comfortable and cool sleeping weather.

I finally RAN tonight. Only the 3rd time since the marathon. I just went for 4 miles tonight in 38:24, with mile 3 being a fun one: 8.42. Ahhh, felt good to make my legs work a bit (yes, that's fast for me right now).  Hard to believe only a couple years ago, that's the speed I averaged at a HM. Sure would be nice to do that again.

night all.

Tammy

SteveP

(((((Holly))))) 

(((((Doug)))))

We're very glad you're OK

Ice Cream and cookies cure AB pain.

Happy National "Act Like a Kid Day". I put on a Batman T Shirt, picked up stones and put them in my pocket.

The dog and I put in 4.5 miles. There's a wooden between two hill. Tag stepped off of it. It looked like he wanted to step on the tops of the tall ferns. He landed face first, then cartwheeled on to his back. I feared that he hurt his neck. The flood of emotions..Yikes!!! I was on my way down or over, I'm not sure which and he started pulling himself forward with his front paws. Then he started walking. Then he shook and mud flew every where. He looked at me while wagging his tail and asked if he could do that again. His face was caked in mud and all I could make out were he teeth and tounge.....DW is gonna kill us.

We ran to the river and I cleaned him up the best I could with out soap. He started putting his head under water to pick up rocks. We got home before DW and he got a bath..Poor guy. His passenger side rear foot has a toe nail that is split down the middle and was bleeding. It got trimmed, but, how do you tell a dog to leave a band aid on?

SteveP