Masters Running

40's 50's and Beyond On the Run w/e 9/26 (Read 344 times)

Mom's surgery went well yesterday.  She now has a titanium plate and some screws in her wrist.  It was a bit more intense than any of us were expecting with the general anesthesia and such, but she is recovering nicely at home now.

{{{Hugs}}} to Carol's mom.  She might have a time of it going through security screenings now.

Joe - Have fun with your 5-er this weekend.  Yep, there are redwoods down toward Ukiah, but the most beautiful stuff is up by  me.  We have some gorgeous state parks.

Jim - The pup is so cute!  Always makes me want a dog . . . for a brief moment.  Actually, if I didn't have The Hub, I'd have a dog.

Leaving in a couple of hours, but will check in with you guys tomorrow sometime.

Leslie
    Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
    -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Top 'O the World!

Evening folks!

Glad Mom's surgery went well, Carol! is the metal stuff permanent or temp?  Sounds like you're gonna be more than ready for your tri!  costume???

OMG! Dessa is getting HUGE!   I'm still betting 90-100lb range....& 45 mpw...

Good Luck w/your 5 miler this wknd Joe!   cake, I'm sure!

I'm gonna go camp/hike/hang out in Leslie's backyard!

I should go train in Arla's....but I doan wanna!  I likes the normally cooler climate here...even if I am a bigger wimp for it!

Ev? you getting any running in...or just buttering the popcorn & icing the beer for football season?  

Howdy to Jewels & anybody else who may be lurking too busy to post!

considering the Vibrams....wondering how they'd do in the face of puncture weeds & such?

3 easy-ish miles w/Mairead & couple hundred other friends @ the Irish Snug...then salad, spaghetti, garlic bread & Guinness!   young friend decided to do an extra loop before I got there to "warm up" so I might not be kicking her butt quite so badly...lol! then I reminded her I was still a little slower from having done Sunday's fiasco...the two worked out to a 11:23 av pc..

Remember that doing anything well is going to take longer than you think!! ~ Masters Group

flatland mountaineer

Easy 4.....well easy 2.5 tempo 1.5, purrrfect temps. Dessa with me for 1.5 for my unplanned tempo portion.

Have a great race Leslie, your training went pretty well it will be a good day.

Cindy I didn't let Dessa read your comment, she is getting a little sensitive about her size LOL. I don't know about 5 fingers and punture vines, the bane of every farm kid's bicycle on the plains.

Hiya to the rest of the crew, I better get to going, still muddy, working on our combine.

The whole world said I shoulda used red but it looked good to Charlene in John Deere Green!!

Support Ethanol, drink the best, burn the rest.

Run for fun? What the hell kind of recreation is that?  quote from Back to the Fut III

Queen of 3rd Place

Carol - best wishes to your mom for a speedy recovery. Sounds like a pretty involved procedure! Good to hear that your swimming is going so well. How long did it take before you felt ok swimming?

Leslie - kick butt out there!

Cindy - you might want to stop by the barefoot runners forum and ask your vibram question. The soles do seem pretty tough and tons of people use them for hiking, but...

Some easy runs scheduled for the weekend and then work work work work. This is a tough semester with the new course I'm doing. Oh well, six weeks down, 12 to go...

Arla

Ex runner

Top 'O the World!

.....so, last night, young friend says, while running through Cheeseman Park, "long run tomorrow?"  "Ok? How long?" says I..."Weeeell, my schedule says 14.....?."  "Oooooh..kaaay...what time?" "Well, have to pick up BF from the airport @ 10:30, so 6?"....ouch!  "Okay.  6 it is...bring a bag & use my shower" .......

12.73 run/walk (mostly run) @ ending 13:30ish pc...don't know exactly - garmin died again!  wth? ....cut it short due to time constraints....I am now "comfortably tired", more zucchini bread outta the oven, gotta head out to pick up my Women's Adventure packet (outdoor sports camp! I'm kayaking & rock climbing & stuff tomorrow!) .... Missy is comfortably TOAST!  .... I think maybe it's good for me to pace w/her...I pay more attention to her breathing than mine...makes me back off to a more sane pace!

Remember that doing anything well is going to take longer than you think!! ~ Masters Group

jfa

Hi Kids,

halfa mary for me last night. 9@ 9:55 then 4.1 @ 8:44.

Cindy- don't know if it's the same symptom,but my Garmin has stopped on me twice lately.Just as if I hit the "stop" button. Fully charged and all,so I don't know? Those veebrams are pretty tough.

Arla- you must be getting some strong feet.Good for you!

Must be fun to be Dessa on your farm Jim.One lucky doggie.

Speaking of work, is it Friday yet?

Hi All!

Anybody heard anything from Jewels?!?

Cindy - Come to my backyard anytime.  I got it from a good source that The Hub is grilling oysters this weekend. That doesn't happen when I'm there.

Joe - Nice HM there!  You're gonna kick butt at your next marathon.  And I don't blame you for dumping the loop dee loop, loop, loop marathon.  Ugh!

Jim - So Dessa's your tempo coach??

Arla - Hang in there this semester.

I had planned on leaving my brother's house around 7:00 this morning when he reminded me that leaving then would put me right smack dab in the middle of rush hour traffic through the Bay Area.  Ugh!  Soooo, on top of not sleeping very much at all last night, I was up and at 'em by 3:45 and on the road before 5:00.  Stopped for coffee (quite possibly the worse I have ever had) and gas, and didnt' stop again until I got on the other side of the Bay Area - far away from Oakland.

So I finally got to eat breakfast after about 3+ hours driving, and I'm humming along on 101, listening to the radio, thinking about the race, and I see a sign that says San Luis Obispo, 124 miles away.  WHAT?!?!?!?  I check my directions that I got off the Internet - and here is where I interject don't ever, ever, ever, Ever, EVer, EVEr, EVER, EVER, EVER follow the directions off hotels.com (where I made my hotel reservations).  They forgot one minor, small, little, itty bitty thing - - - - LIKE GETTING FROM HWY 101 TO 1!!!!!!!!!  I ended up going over an hour out of my way.  Sure I was pi$$ed! 

Anyway, finally made it to Monterey, found my hotel, then headed down 1 again to Big Sur to find the staging area at Andrew Molera State Park.  Was able to drive a bit of the course (could've driven the whole thing) and confirmed that yep, it's all dirt road and yep, it's all exposed.  And if tomorrow is like today, it's gonna be a warm one.  I've already decided I'm carrying two bottles.

On a more melancholy note, it was kind tough knowing that I was so close to Cambria (but so far) and couldn't go visit my mom's and grandparents' grave sites.  Haven't been there in probably 5 years.  If I had another day, I would've made the drive.

So now I'm sitting in my hotel room after eating a nice fattening, but oh so delicious, lunch (with enough leftovers for dinner), icing my shins and right knee, ready to zone out for the duration.

And now that I've put you through my saga . . . . have a great weekend!!

Leslie
                -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

Hey Leslie, I feel like I'm there with you!  Thanks for sharing your travels.  Monterrey is nice Smile.  Have a blast tomorrow!

Thanks for all the well wishes for mom.  She's doing OK...went back to the doc today due to swelling, but he said it's normal. 

Cindy, the metal stuff is permanent, and will hopefully give her better range of motion.  This orthopedic surgery stuff is kind of barbaric.  And what's this adventure camp thing?  I thought your life was already a huge adventure, but you need more WinkP

Arla, hope you get to teach this class again so you can coast a little next time maybe??  As for the swimming, it has taken me a LONG time to feel comfortable with it....like 8 or 9 weeks of going to the pool a couple of times a week.  I have no illusions of being fast or particularly good at it, but just reaching that comfort level has been a huge victory.  I dreaded swim days for quite a while, so it's nice to actually look forward to them now.

Joe, good luck tomorrow....a 5 miler is a picnic for guys who casually run 1/2 marathons mid week Wink.

Jim, tell Dessa it's just puppy fat!

Yes, Jewels, Jewels...where are you?  We miss you! 

Progress Trumps Pefection

If I wasn't afraid of offending my friends, I'd use a plethora of 4-letter words to describe today's race.  Instead, I'll say hot, brutally hot, and unrelenting.  I felt worse at a little over the halfway mark than I did at the end of SOB.  I'd say that for about 70%+ of the run we were either going up or going down, and 80% or more of the course was totally exposed.  We started at 9:20.  For 90% of the first 5.88 miles we were climbing in the direct sun.  Took me about 1:40 to get that far, and by the time I got to the aid station (2nd station, first one with food), it was probably in high 80s.  I was told it ended up being in the 90s.

One of the aid station workers told me that even the elite runners were having a hard time, which gladdened my heart a tad.   And when I got done, the paramedics had 2 people laying down, and one guy - who was a really good runner - ended up having to have oxygen. I don't know if any others had to have assistance.  I had to sit for almost an hour before I felt like I could drive.  The upside of that, had a really cute medic keeping watch over me.

There was no way I could drive back to Healdsburg tonight, so I'm still in Monterey.  Had fantastic lasagna, and now I'm icing my poor shins.  And as bad as my feet feel, I'm surprised I ended up with only one blister.  I want to drink the entire gallon of water I have here, but I feel so bloated . . .

I was either DFL or second to DFL - but I finished!

Leslie
                    -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance