Masters Running

Saturday 08-09 rise and shine - it's another weekend - and the sun is shining! (Read 432 times)

busiman

Running out of mistakes!

Lots of good runs I see today. Nice climbing Roy. Dave, I was also wondering what was on your mind when running on those tired Kegs? I'm looking forward to Karin's RR too. I got in a great marathon pace run this morning. It was just going to be 8, but I tacked on some at the end. The last five were roughly 6:40 or so. The hills made it tough to keep pace but I felt strong at the end (max HR 169!). Hopefully I'm not baked enough for a good 20 tomorrow... Watching the olympics on tivo...(go wonen's sabre!)
    -2009 running goals - sub-3 after Boston (probably VCM), 3 PRs, 2009 miles for the year, and no untreated injuries
    also on Twitter
    Mariposai

enkephlain...here by I officially name you TRAIL GIRL!!!!!!!!!!! Great job on your race today. Trail racing is fun, but hard work. No blood anywhere is always a good sign. Way to go Trail Girl!!!!!!!!

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

evanflein

I think Enke deserves her "Trail Girl" patch, too! Nice job... even if it does "almost" look like a race report in the daily! Wink Mariposai, you are amazing! 4 course Chinese dinner, Chinese wine... opening ceremonies. Wow. I had halibut and broccoli and sorted magazines for donation to the hospital while it was on, then went to bed before it was over. Such a party animal. Wish I could've joined you! Ok, Steve, Ribs, Karin, Larry... you guys were right. While it wasn't a great feeling race, it did go well. First 3 miles or so were really hard, but then I started to get into it. Course was re-routed to all roads and included 3 loops of about 5k, then an out-and-back going out on a bike path and back on the road. I really wanted to stop and walk in that first loop. My shins were sore, my tummy was upset, my hands were so cold... ugh. I kept thinking I could've gone back to bed! But then things sorted out and besides the pounding drudgery of doing that loop three times I actually enjoyed most of it. Chatted with lots of friends I passed or as they passed me. I ended up with 1:41:19... not the 1:40 Steve was projecting but it didn't feel totally out of reach. Like you said, maybe when the planets all align, right? Barbecue afterwards was pretty good but we all froze as the wind picked up. Temp was only 51 on my drive back to home at 12:30. Ok, I will do a full race report, but need to say also my friend Wilson (used to post as Nordic Beserker on CR) was hoping for 1:20 and he ran 1:19.... what a guy!
          Mariposai, I only wish I could come over and help chop, then help you eat it. Shoot, I'd take the leftovers from last night! Humidity here is "only" 55% (do I have that right, SE friends? We're used to 30 or so) and 85 degrees. Got a late start (see new post) for a good reason, so decided to run some hills, slowly. A bit over 9 miles at just under 9 minute miles for me, average heartate 149. grins, A
          Masters 2000 miles
          Teresadfp

One day at a time

Smile Smile 7.1 slow miles for me - 1:24:26, but they felt good and I had no ankle pain during or after the run. Like Mainrunnah, I enjoyed the sunshine! Took my friend (visiting from Texas) around to do touristy stuff - went to the Portland Head Light, where our race last week ended. Much prettier today, with blue skies and puffy white clouds. Got to see a wedding party get their photographs taken in front of the ligthhouse.
              Sweet running Teresa and Aamos---you too or two. Low humdity is a fine thing. Erika!!! You rock and I see a 1:38 in your future---zooming by that 1:40. Even when our bodies line up all the reasons and feelings for sitting on the curb, our running warrior spirit roars back. Congratulations on the PR and write a real report now...ahem! Great racing and I am thrilled for you (even though I am not surprised at all) Tongue Enke---awesome work and I am glad you didn't meet cougars or tigers! Congrats on the racing and you are indeed trail racer girl. As for my race report....I have written it and waiting now to plug in the data. Only four August ninth Massachusetts races are posted now......the report won't be that exciting, I just want it to be accurate. On to some more Olympics viewing. 20 miler on tap tomorrow. Karin

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

I think I deserve my "trail girl" badge now. Wink
                enke - the heck with the Olympics, . . . this is what I've been waiting for all day (if not all week). you learned a lot from the Series' mountainous ten miler last month and executin' a perfect 10 gold medal 13 mile trail run up-and-down several sides of Cougar Mountain today puts you high on the list of White River candidates I'll be working on over the winter, . . . . uhmmmmm . . <>13 miles in three hours = 52 in 12 hours vs. 14hr cutoff)>>>. . . . The 13-miler is my favorite but it's a rare occasion to break three hours, let alone even get close as you did. Now that the Series is over, maybe see you at the Labor Day 13.2 miler in Woodinville. <>flat/flat/flat)>>> erika - it's bad enough having to waste all the beautiful scenery up there on a three loop half but, except for some summer thundershowers, I've never heard of so much rain up there. Maybe the salmon'll come swimmin' up Cushman Street pretty soon. you redeemed it all though with your good running. sure hope you can somehow still make it to fastest course for several of us over the years at the RVM if at all possible. trivia question to mariposai, . . . I mean everyone - according to the NBC crew, what is the only UN-member country with different designs on each side of the national flag? ps - are you gunna be cookin' every gold medalist's country's cookin'? Hope the Japanese win something <>mari's sushi/sashimi)>>>

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

wildchild

Carolyn

We've been having afternoon thunderstorms every day, and today was no different. I waited till the rain had mostly stopped at about 5 pm and went out for 7 cool miles. It was 50 degrees, and only drizzled during the second mile - IRC! Tazzie and Ladybug came along for the first 3 miles. I picked up the pace at the end - the first 5 miles took 60 minutes (12 mm avg pace), then the 6th mile took 11 minutes and the 7th mile was 10 minutes. This was on my usual hilly high altitude neighborhood route. I'm looking forward to cooler fall weather when I can run at lunchtime in the flatlands - its' been months since I ran anywhere flat. Oh, and the wild raspberries are ripe! I just had to take a short break to pig out on berries! No run yesterday, as we went to my cousin's wedding at the top of Winter Park ski area. Four of my cousins live in the Denver area, and we ski with them every winter. Fun time with family, and a beautiful wedding.

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.