Masters Running

Dare We Gobble Till We Wobble? 11/22/18 (Read 42 times)

Joe618

Steve, great recap...love "Wisdom is what's left when you've run out of dumb stuff to do."  Yeah!

Tramps, the linguistic clarity is one more reason why I don't swim.   Being born in the drylands of Nebraska is actually the first reason, though :-)

Holly, awesome race.   Wow, to see 10,000 there is amazing!!   Glad you finished well!  I'd like to stop into Bill's Donuts next time I'm in Dayton....

Karen, so cool you could run with your daughter.   Who cares about the confusion??!!  Congrats on the AG win!  So sorry about the situation at work.   Had a similar situation a couple years ago.   It resolved but you always feel like it's a powder keg.

Bioguy, a nice small turkey trot...glad for the conversation

Rnr nut...wow, nice 5K!!  Haulin'!  (that's how they say "Hauling" at Cracker Barrel...)

My own Turkey Trot went well...in our small town, we had 1,500 show up as a benefit to the local food bank.  I took it a little more seriously, as I'm launching into Boston training soon and Hanson method bases a lot of the speed work pacing off of a serious 5K effort.   So, I pushed it a bit.   Mile splits were 7:50, 7:51, 7:49; a dash to the finish got me just under 24 at 23:59.  I was pleased...haven't had all sub 8 miles in a 5K since this same race 8 years ago.

Happy Thanksgiving to all of you!!   I'm grateful for our daily interaction here, I enjoy it so much!!

Joe

________

I have nothing particularly clever or profound to add as a tag to each message...I just like to run.   

Mariposai

On this Thanksgiving I want to give thanks for this loving and nurturing group. May each one of tou be blessed on this Thanksgiving day!

We are in Portland celebrating Thanksgiving with The Easy Pacer's family. Since I am not cooking the meal (I made 3 pies, pumpkin,  apples and pecan) I was able to fit in 9 miles, 4 with the Easy Pacer.

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

wildchild

Carolyn

Nice racing for Joe (speedy!)  Holly (crowded!),  RKSA (with DD), bioguy (small race run with friends), and runnrnut (1st AG).

I also ran a small 5k turkey trot.  Maybe a dozen people total - just a benefit organized by some friends.  I ran easy with my friends Siri and Helen, since none of us felt like racing, and the three of us tied for first place women!  The only other women were one who ran with her small son and one other who walked with her whole family.  I like this kind of race WAY more than races with 10,000 people.  Maybe that's why I like trail racing so much.

Jeanne, hope the job at the candy store goes well!

Yesterday my DH planned to put new brake pads on our Sprinter van.  He decided to drive down to Golden to do the work at DD's house, because it was 15 degrees warmer there than here.  But then he couldn't get out of our driveway, because the Sprinter is 2WD and the driveway is packed snow.  And the tire chains we bought for it last year don't fit because DH decided to get bigger wheels and tires, and the new tire chains he ordered aren't here yet.  So anyway, he started to do the work here in our driveway, and it turns out he ordered the wrong brake parts (rear instead of front brakes), and he had to hammer the rotor off, so he couldn't just put it back together.  So it's sitting up on jack stands till the correct brake parts arrive next week.  So it's actually really lucky that he couldn't drive down to town to do the work!

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

mrrun

Happy Thanksgiving all and congrats on racers and non-racers for their turkey trots!

We were at Henry's DS and family and had a wonderful time and meal.  Our contribution was wine - yes I'm lazy!

marj

Joe618

Yesterday my DH planned to put new brake pads on our Sprinter van.  He decided to drive down to Golden to do the work at DD's house, because it was 15 degrees warmer there than here.  But then he couldn't get out of our driveway, because the Sprinter is 2WD and the driveway is packed snow.  And the tire chains we bought for it last year don't fit because DH decided to get bigger wheels and tires, and the new tire chains he ordered aren't here yet.  So anyway, he started to do the work here in our driveway, and it turns out he ordered the wrong brake parts (rear instead of front brakes), and he had to hammer the rotor off, so he couldn't just put it back together.  So it's sitting up on jack stands till the correct brake parts arrive next week.  So it's actually really lucky that he couldn't drive down to town to do the work!

So, the DH D-cided to DIY, where the "Y" sometimes means "Y did I do it this way?" eh???   Some projects just go south...hang in there!!!

________

I have nothing particularly clever or profound to add as a tag to each message...I just like to run.   

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

That being said, should I cancel my appoint with the PT and the follow-up with the ortho doc?

Unless you think they'll say something

you don't already know, yes for cancel.

Love the relives.

Happy Thanksgiving everyone.
              Steve - thanks for posting 20 summaries of everyone’s
              running and, if not running, postings.
              BTY/Tramps/Erika - thanks for reminding me how easy Japanese is,
              at least grammar-wise but, unfortunately, the mix of two Japanese

alphabets and multiple combinations of Chinese characters
              for the same word/action more than make up for it.  
              oyogu - common verb  (futsuu-doushi)
              泳ぎ / 游ぎ / およぎ.

. . . oyoide iru - is swimming
              . . . oyogimashita / oyoida - swam (swum)
              suiei - common noun  (futsuu-meishi)
              水泳, すいえい
              4-miles:  being able to do it for 26.2 miles makes being slow bearable in marathons with similarly slow and aging Marathon Maniac running friends from over the years but being so far back of the back-of-the-pack in shorter fun runs, turkey trots, etc. not so worth it anymore so took advantage of a steady rain to drive 30 miles back to Saturday’s first time up the 2-mile trail from Rattlesnake Lake to the Rattlesnake Ledges as a great chance finally to try out the rain jacket from the REI Memorial Day in case it might start raining in earnest for Sunday's Seattle Masrathon as sometimes nearly always, happens.  Unfortunately, rain abated just as I arrived in the parking lake next to the lake so might have to wait until marathon Sunday where, at least, routine rain, if not more, can usually be more counted on.

Image result for rattlesnake ledge looking towards seattle images

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

Nice sub-24, Joe!  That counts as 23, right?  You are ready for your Boston training!

My daughter and I used to run together a lot  more and I would slow down for her. Then- she got faster than me and didn't really want to slow down, which was OK.  Now she's out of shape and didn't mind running with me.   It was all good.

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

Dave59

I walked the Turkey Trot this morning. 45:54. I'm not a fast walker so that took some work to keep under 15 minutes a mile.

Tramps - I never knew there we do many tenses.

Nice racing Joe.

We had the in-laws over for thanksgiving. We picked up a "Feast for 4" from Bob Evans and some ham from Heavenly Ham. Much better than anything we could have cooked on our own in our little condo kitchen.

I'm stuffed.

(Any hockey fans out there? Hope you've noticed that Buffalo is on a 7 game winning streak. I do believe that they won't come in last place like they have in recent years)

Joe618

I walked the Turkey Trot this morning. 45:54. I'm not a fast walker so that took some work to keep under 15 minutes a mile.

(Any hockey fans out there? Hope you've noticed that Buffalo is on a 7 game winning streak. I do believe that they won't come in last place like they have in recent years)

Way to be out there, Dave, even if you had to walk.

I've always really liked ice hockey.   The one sport I never  had a chance to play...always imagined myself as a big defenseman, cross-checking the opposing wingers into the glass in the corner, all while skating backwards.    Only a dream.   Still can't skate.   Mostly a Black Hawks fan here but haven't followed it closely in recent years until the playoffs.  

Joe

________

Happy thanksgiving to all my virtual friends!  So many great races today!  And Tramps?  Thanks for making the daily hit 3 pages with your “swimming” definitions 😁

Busy day here too. I did an hour “turkey boot camp” at the Y and finished with 20 minutes of core and ab stuff. Then DH and I went to the Lambeau Field atrium where Christian Outreach serves thanksgiving dinner to people in need or alone. We’ve been serving there for over 25 years and the place was filled with over 900 folks. After that, back home to prepare turkey, dressing, sweet and mashed potatoes, green beans almondine, and homemade cranberry sauce. Jay - the oven roasted sweet potatoes were a big hit!

Like Dave, I’m stuffed. Can’t wait to get out for a run in the morning. Good luck to all of you doing Black Friday shopping!

evanflein

I got the turkey in the oven at 1:30 and headed right out for a run on our hilly roads. Holy carp am I out of hill shape! Lots of stops and walking breaks, but got it done. 8.25 miles done. Then a quick shower and worked on getting all the sides ready. Everything went into the oven be roasted, so that was easy. Dinner was amazing. I would say the beans were a little over done, and the yams in with the spuds were a little over done (should have left the in bigger chunks) but dinner was great. Now we're settling in with the cat who was slightly traumatized by having people over, and going to bed soon.

Henrun

Way to be out there, Dave, even if you had to walk.

I've always really liked ice hockey.   The one sport I never  had a chance to play...always imagined myself as a big defenseman, cross-checking the opposing wingers into the glass in the corner, all while skating backwards.    Only a dream.   Still can't skate.   Mostly a Black Hawks fan here but haven't followed it closely in recent years until the playoffs.  

Joe

Been a hockey fan for most of my life. Saw the first NHL all star game when I was 12. Originally a Toronto Maple Leaf fan but switched my allegiance to the Boston Bruins when I moved to New England. I played no check senior hockey for a short time and skated until a few years ago.

Marathon Maniac #957

But you missed my favorite: swimmed. As in, Brian swimmed a LOT the other day! 

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Marathon Maniac #957

Overcame the crowded start, finished 21st OA and 1st in AG with a time of 20:12.

Great racing!

Joe - well done to you as well!  I think I have a book on the Hanson method somewhere in the house.  If I can get my foot back to good, I am thinking of trying that one this time.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."