Masters Running

Sunday Aug. 8 Daily (Read 464 times)

6.1 miles in 92 degree heat.    As I was running along an older man was laying on some grass beside the trail with his bike beside him.   He was moving one leg side to side with knee bent, telling me he was in pain.  I passed him by knowing that I had a turnaround in a mile and would be returning. If he was still there on the return, I would stop.   Sure enough ,on the return he was still laying on his back but now perfectly still.    I approached cautiously figuring that I was about to do my first REAL CPR.    I saw no movement in his chest and was watching for breathing when he groaned and opened his eyes.  Me standing over him scared him a bit and I quickly asked him if he was alright.   He said he had just gotten fatigued and must have fallen asleep.  I apologized for waking him up, but he thanked me for stopping to check.  This trail has emergency stations with a button that connects to emergency services via satelite.   We were only a quarter mile from one of these, had there been a problem.   You just never know, especially in the heat.

One gift card I forgot in my gift card shoping spree was a hairscut from a gift card that I had gotten for my birthday.  Something else I forgot to mention that made it all good, was that it was a "tax free" shopping day so I didn't pay taxes on anything.

Have a nice Sunday evening.

Joey

Vista
    Dave59

Nice running everyone, dead legs and all.  Not much going on with me.  Too lazy to ride my bike in any consistent fashion, and not quite ready to try running yet.

Tom - Breakout the Cheeseburger Hamburger Helper.  And don't spill too many of the secret things that go on when the wife is away.

Renee the dog

Nono that sounds like so much fun.   You mentioned something about a plan or lack of the other day.  What are you doing right now? 

dg, I'm making it up as I go along! I got so far behind with little issues and some motivation in May, that I had to throw any formal plans out the window.  IF I get through my miles tonight, I'll finally crack into the 30s for the first time in awhile...not exactly ideal when AFM and Twin Cities are now so close.  But eh, we'll see how it goes.

I'm getting ready to head out to run in an "astronomical high tide."  (Accuweather alert...should be splashy, I guess...  )

GOALS 2012: UNDECIDED

GOALS 2011: LIVE!!!

CNYrunner - nice 30 sec/mile improvement in your time from last year!

fatozzig - love the picture.  I wish I could get a job pacing horses.  Or maybe I could do "ride and tie" races.

evanflein - you mean you have to clean blueberries before you eat them?  Way to go on a nice HM!

Divechief - I love running at night - envious of your midnight marathon.

Perch - I am supposed to borrow my friend's dog next week for a little jog to see what it is like - apparently he has floored a few people when he saw rabbits, but is trained now.

I waited until after lunch to run.  It was 77F but felt cool and was overcast.  I did the horse trails again (love them when they are dry!)  My legs felt dead (like everyone else today - third day running) but when I looked at my time after a mile I thought it was not too bad.  I had to stop a few times to cool off.  At 3 miles I checked my time again and was surprised at the pace - pretty good.  Of course this set up the challenge to run the last mile fast to see if I could get my o/a pace under a certain number.  I did it easily and without pushing too hard, I just really focussed on leg turnover during the downhills.  It was 9:02 pace.  I still can't believe that as when I was in tip top shape two years ago my fastest last mile on this route was 9:17 I think.  I need to comb my log to figure this out (ETA - fastest was 9:11).  Maybe there was a glitch in my Garmin, if not, I am A-mazed.  I was so stoked I went back up the trail for a cool down mile, so 5 total - most in 2 months?

And nothing hurt - enjoy the gift.

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

I'm suppose to do 12 miles today.  So far that hasn't happened.  I slept in 'cause I was dog-tired, then The Hub and I went to breakfast, then drove inland to try and find the sun, at least briefly.  We bought some fresh veggies then headed back.  Didn't take long before we could see the HUGE fog bank enveloping the hills.  *sigh*  This like Day 3,520 in a row with sun. . . . . . or at least that's what it feels like. 

On the way home, bought a new pair of road shoes and ordered a second (they rarely have 2 in my size in Mizunos).  Also stopped at a local sporting goods store for which I have a $170 gift card (now $147.92).  Felt too pressured with The Hub watching me, so only bought 2 pairs of socks and a clip for the mouth piece from my fluid bladder.  Will be able to clip it to the side of my vest instead of having it flopping around or tucked somewhere where it gets squashed then leaks.

Okay.  I gotta finish my transcription.  Then I gotta eat some spaghetti.  Then I gotta let that digest.  Then I gotta get my arse out there for my 12 miles. 

Leslie
            Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
            -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

evanflein

Get going, Leslie! You're running late, grrl.

Enke, cleaning the berries is easy, but you need to do that. Just pour a few into your hand and pick out the leaves, sticks, shriveled or green berries, whatever, then dump into the container. Found two little worms last night, one looked just like a stick! Pretty funny.

I ran some hills today. Equinox trails from the start to just past mile 5, then caught up with the ultra extension trail (maybe mile 27 or so?) and headed back on that. Cut out one loop of the trail and headed back just on the road, then down the hill to the start. A really good run, I did have to stop a couple times to recover on the hills but I hope to not have to do that in a few more weeks (each time feels a little better). And I won't run a HM the day before I do these trails next.

9.33 miles in 1:20:07

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Great run Enke!!  Glad you were able put the speed I had misplaced to good use .

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

Tom - Breakout the Cheeseburger Hamburger Helper.  And don't spill too many of the secret things that go on when the wife is away.

...all suggestions appreciated dave.........

.......as another

suggestion,

have you tried doing an x-bike standing??......good workout, easy on the RunningParts.....

wortha shot.

.........Heal Up and Don't force it........

like we say in Japan, ''Chug A Rug''

ok

they don't ACTUALLY say that in Japan.

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

lamerunner

Greetings! Vista, that was quite the experience. Glad he is ok.  Holly, good run; how waas the rest of vacation?

Nice cool nights and mornings lately, though  I think a warm up is expected.  Easy 5 on a hilly dirt road today then some tennis on a lake neighbor's clay court. Friend of my brother in law.  It was fun... probably a rest day tomorrow; the only rest day the last couple of weeks was a 20 mile hike....

Great race  Karin!! as always.

Got in 10 of the scheduled 12, sans inhaler which included the mile-long hill in my brand new shoes.  Even though it was 2 miles short, it was a hillier run than I would've done, so I'm giving it an "A" for effort.

Leslie
                      Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                      -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance