Masters Running

Fat Tuesday 13 February 2024 (Read 38 times)

BTY

Hi all!  Wow, I slept from 10:00 last night when my head hit the pillow until 6:00 this morning when my wife's alarm went off.  8 straight hours...but now I think I may have gotten up after midnight, one time, and fell right back to sleep!

This may fall into the TMI category for some, so feel free to scroll past.

===

Had an interesting talk with all three of the other men that were in the YMCA locker room last night, just before closing time.  We were all in the 60-70 year old category, I'd say.   One of the guys mentioned that fungus on your toes can be a symptom of systemic fungus, meaning you don't treat it with a topical treatment from a spray can, as it will just come back.  Better to treat the whole body and it will be removed from the whole body - we probably breathe it in from air ducts and from raking leaves and cleaning wood piles, etc.  I'll look into what he said about that.  Another guy said his wife was a nurse and she suggested soaking his feet in a basin of white vinegar, and he had great success with that - all gone in a couple of days and didn't come back.  Then another guy chipped in about drinking a gallon of water mixed with small amounts of apple cider vinegar, honey, ginger and lemon juice, over the course of a couple of weeks.  I talked about my year-long experiment drinking 8 oz of water every morning mixed with 2 tsps of ACV and honey.  (I nixed the gelatin about 4 months ago due to the suggestions I read on here that gelatin can cause kidney stones.).  One guy mentioned that GERD (acid reflux) can be a cause of esophageal cancer, that it often goes unnoticed and undiagnosed, and that drinking Apple Cider Vinegar and/or lemon juice can help with peristalsis and alleviate acid reflux.   Interesting stuff!

Tonight I hope to get in a relatively hard swim.  It won't be too crazy because of the blood donation yesterday morning.   Probably keep the intensity up or moderate, and the volume down, for another couple of days, anyway..

BTY

I am not going to get into the sports is or is not racist. I have no idea. But, it is easy to find links to whatever viewpoint you prefer. The internet makes confirmation bias easy.

SteveP congratulations on another year sober. I have a friend who is also long reformed. It is not easy.

TammyinGP it is tough going through all of a parent's possessions. I hope some of it brings peace to your family.

Regarding the weather, the snow that went south of coastwalker went right through CT. What a mess it is out there! Everybody was basically told to stay off the roads unless absolutely necessary. Yuck!

I ran 5 miles on the treadmill. After which I made buttermilk biscuits. It has taken me some time, but I think that I finally have the technique down. Previously, they used to come out looking too much like a hockey puck. But now . . . well, they were really good!

While on the treadmill I watched an episode of Restaurant Impossible that I had taped. It was one of the last, since the show was cancelled. Really too bad. It seems to have really helped out a number of struggling restaurateurs. No doubt, others saw it and used the lessons to fix their businesses. I wonder how many local restaurants that I have seen go under would have made it with just a few days intervention like that show provided?

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

Agree with Twocat.  Plus, does not supporting athletes and teams help any racism?  I guess this is one of those things that falls into “politics”, since one side of the fence is convinced that the whole world is racist.  And I’m the one who taught seminars on the pitfalls of diversity programs, so there’s that.

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

Marathon Maniac #957

And congratulations to our hero Steve for 26 years of sobriety!   One day at a time.  We are all proud of you!

YES!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

I just received an email from BofA regarding the Kelvin Kiptum's passnig. As many here know, it is the BofA Chicago marathon. They had a nice tribute to him and his setting the world record at Chicago. I still cannot believe he is gone and the Paris showdown between him and Kipchoge will never take place. 

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

dnaff

I’ve had a full day at the food pantry and have yet to workout.  But I can’t let the day go by without adding my congratulations to Steve.  I have a family member working on their 24th year…each day is a victory.

With Steve's sobriety birthday, I'm thinking about The Hub's upcoming 13th year in April.  His high school buddy and girlfriend visited us in November and his friend celebrated 20 years January 1.  Anyway, we were sitting around talking and The Hub said that on one of his ventures to Eugene to his cousin's for OU games this last year, he passed a bar once and thought he could pull in, have a drink, and no one would know.  Then he told himself, "You dummy, you'd know and it's not worth it!"  Set me back on my heels for just a sec and reminded me to never, ever take his sobriety for granted.  It's always, always, always one day at a time.

Leslie
                Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

RCG

Rose Colored Glasses

No exercise for me today.

I wrote a letter. I have friends who like to correspond with paper and pencil. So we mail each other letters.

So I wrote a letter. Then I remembered I needed to renew my passport. So I got that all together (had most of it complete).

Then I went to the post office and mailed everything off.

Congratulations Steve. I admire your strength.

I listened to this program about academics and fraud. 

Very Interesting. You should listen to this

"Anytime you see the word "inflation" in the news, replace it with "record-breaking corporate profits" and you'll get what's happening."

RCG

Rose Colored Glasses

"Anytime you see the word "inflation" in the news, replace it with "record-breaking corporate profits" and you'll get what's happening."

Mariposai

I just received an email from BofA regarding the Kelvin Kiptum's passnig. As many here know, it is the BofA Chicago marathon. They had a nice tribute to him and his setting the world record at Chicago. I still cannot believe he is gone and the Paris showdown between him and Kipchoge will never take place. 

Agree. Suchva sad news for our sport when we received the news of this stellar athlete passing so suddenly.

No running today due a long day at work. A lot of meetings and traveling. I will do a test run tomorrow tomorrow to see how the knees are doing post tripping and falling last Saturday. It is taper time anyway.  All is good.

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

SteveP

Thank you for the kind words of encouragement.

Thank you for checking in Runnerclay.

Jay - Hopefully you're the damn drug sooner than later.

Tammy - It's good that you spent time with Mom.  She may not need your help with some things, but it may be a huge comfort to have you by her side.

Nice Going

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r0uR2cNaqdE&list=PL4EE3BD1E35E2E69D&index=3

What in the world was that?

Tom White may have had all four seasons on Monday.

Steve - what's going on with real and virtual PT's?

I had a TKR/TKA and was laid up for two months

but am now only getting only the real one.

Is there surgery in your future or,

If possible, cortisone?

It's a hip thing. Goodness knows what's in the future.

Erica - Good luck with your flexor.

BTY - Thanks for the homeopathic tips.

TwoCat - Your posts often make me hungry.

Anyway, we were sitting around talking and The Hub said that on one of his ventures to Eugene to his cousin's for OU games this last year, he passed a bar once and thought he could pull in, have a drink, and no one would know.

I know that place.

I got two miles on the mill. An hour of my online PT followed by my in-person PT homework.

SteveP