Masters Running

Sunday 10.23.16 (Read 34 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone.

I hope you have a good 16-miler this morning, TwoCat, and that you don't have the winds we have. And stop looking at the weather! I have 2 races this coming weekend, and won't check the weather till at least Tuesday. Before that, it is too changeable.

Sorry you missed your between-rain run window, Hally. But good job on the elliptical and with weights, and the follow-up retail therapy.

Good mitten'd 5-miler, Lori. And good job of talking your sister into Detroit for next year.

Tet, TwoCat knows weather travels west to east, and is trying to project. Sorry about the leafless cycle yesterday. Good luck/have fun at the UW HH 10K today.

Nice 6+ in the 'refreshing' weather, Holly. Yep - outside temperature is all relative.

Nice ride to the beach with DH, Aamos. Yeah - how about dem Cubs?!?

Stumpy, most of us are too impatient for things to move along, post-surgery, even when we know what the drill will be. Still, it's good to know DW is making good progress.

Nice 9-miler, Mariposai, and a gorgeous photo.

Looks like a full and fun day, Steve. But 1190 apple pies? Yikes! Thanks for the great photo journalizing.

I FINALLY got out for a reasonable workout today, and only suffered minorly from what I believe to be a piriformis issue that has been a pain in my butt for the last week. 4+ RW miles in 42F temps and 15+ mph winds. I did a lot of stretching when I got back, and will do more during the day, and hope that I feel good enough to get out again tomorrow morning. Busy day today, with hanging road race signs (for our 5K on Saturday), baking another cake, and trying to blow some of the bazillion leaves that now adorn our yard. It's a good thing to do on a windy day, as long as the wind is blowing in the right direction ("You don't have to be a weatherman to know which way the wind blows...").

Have a greta Sunday!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

My DW and her friends are going to NYC to celebrate a birthday. The men are not invited. I figured I would wait for them to leave at 11 before heading out for my run. By then it might break 50. In the meantime I am not checking the weather for race day. No really I am not. Well, not checking every 5 minutes. Maybe every 10 but not more often than that.

How did it switch from sunny to showers in one fell swoop?! It is not allowed to do that!!!

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

Thanks for the ketchup Jay!!

TwoCat - stop checking the weather!! But man it was windy today at times!!

10.1 miles today - 8 of them with a friend I love who I haven't been able to spend any time with in ages!! The chatter made the miles fly by!!

Since I couldn't get myself in Seacoast, I am going to sign up for an inaugural 1/2 in Cambridge Nov 13 and my gf is signing up with me - so excited to have a race on the schedule!!

Heading up to Vermont tomorrow am with my mom - taking her to the Von Trapp Family Lodge for her birthday. Heard there might be snow - yuck!!!

Have a wonderful Sunday and week ahead my friends!!

denise

Marathon Maniac #957

How did it switch from sunny to showers in one fell swoop?! It is not allowed to do that!!!

That's what happened at Portland!

11 miles for me today in a breezy 43-48 degrees.  I wanted to go farther, but my legs just don't have any sproink yet.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Mike E

MM #5615

Hello everybody!

I had one of my longest posts written, yesterday, while I was sitting in Applebee's...unfortunately, it was written from my iPhone and I received a phone call before I posted it...lost the whole thing, obviously...oh well.

I can't remember everything I had written but I know I talked about how much I enjoyed my run with the cross country team and how sad I am that our season is coming to an end in two weeks.  Section Championships on Thursday then the State meet is November 5th.  Both boys and girls teams really have the talent to make State...unfortunately, they both have teams in our section that can keep them from qualifying, too.  But it will sure be fun to watch them go at it!

Speaking of Section Championships--I have two granddaughters on the Girls' Soccer Team that was playing in their section championship game this past Thursday.  I won't go into all the details but, down 1-2 with 7 minutes to play, we scored the tying goal, then won it in overtime.  I have never seen a group of girls play so hard and so together--it was awesome.

Okay--I guess I'd better get going.  I think the Vikings need me yelling and throwing things at the TV to get back in this game.  See ya!

BerthaSlayer

MM#5991

I ran 15 miles today and bonked hard the last mile. But this time I had taken 2 GU during the run so at least I didn't bonk earlier as has been usual recently. And then I got to thinking that GU is expensive especially here in Canada. So I googled some homemade versions. I am going to try it for next week and will let you know my verdict.

Lori

*it's Bertha or me. My money is on me.*

**"There is no growth in the comfort zone and no comfort in the growth zone".---- Sandy**

Bertha, how about something simple like Fig Newtons?

Jay, loved the description of your political dinner.

Twocat, tsk, tsk.  As Holly mentioned, the weather forecast for Portland changed dramatically about a day before the event.  I had only packed a tank top to run in, as I was expecting it to be dry and high 50s/low 60s.  I could have used a regular T shirt instead.

I was at the cabin Friday.  I debated about running my trail there, but waited too long then it started raining hard and I lost motivation.  I got up at 5:30 am and drove back and north of Seattle for my son's marching band competition.  Although I was there most of the day, sitting in the bleachers, it was gorgeous weather with a nice view of the Cascade Mtn range.  And the band performances were pretty good too.  They did not place as high as they wanted....some tough competition out there with a lot of props and creative features to their shows.

Today I ran 5 miles in sun and humidity - it still feels like I should be going faster than I am.  I guess it is the extra weight I am carrying around.  I am not good at dieting though, so I will just have to run more!

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

BerthaSlayer

MM#5991

Fig Newtons is worth a try. I was looking for something easier to stash. But definitely will try those.

Lori

*it's Bertha or me. My money is on me.*

**"There is no growth in the comfort zone and no comfort in the growth zone".---- Sandy**

Mike E

MM #5615

How about honey?

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Bertha - maybe check with carolyn and ziggy (if they survived Glacier National Park without bear spray) but 15 miles shouldn’t need anything other than energy gels. However, everyone gets sick and acidic of ‘em sooner or later depending on their individual tolerances and have to start relying on the solids provided at every ultra I’ve ever heard of, I think. Maybe try the gobs of raisins and peanuts our high school ski coach had for us in those days, sometimes with honey too (he'd bring spoons). . . plus, nowadays, peanut and/or chocolate M&M’s, . . . or, actually, any kind of solid treat you like.

ps - solid dried figs were a staple in early Ironmans in the seventies/eighties.

UW HOMECOMING HUSKY DASH 5K
                      As an inveterate fitness runner always taking the longest and hardest running options available on any given weekend or race, I totally wimped out of the UW Homecoming Husky 10K I’ve been running for some 20 years and DOR’ed the 5K instead. I thought, after performing so well at the Portland Marathon, my feet would appreciate opting out of the rocky trail parts of the 10K in favor of the shorter version today that is on mostly pavements, concrete, tiles, brick, etc. surfaces in-and-out and around-and-about all the old familiar campus buildings (that are left after all the recent years’ constructions).  Perrington/Denny/Bagley/HUB but everything else seems to have been renamed after someone conected to MicroSoft of their wife. 
                      With long descents I’m still pretty good on, it seemed a good chance to get a little closer to the half hour mark than the 33:07 at the 5K Run-with-the-Fishes earlier in the month. Nope - 35:09 (11:21m/m). But hey, can’t complain about two more minutes of fun.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

SteveP

Jay, You're a pretty active fella. Your community is lucky to have you.

Deeze, that sounds like a nice thing trip for your mom.

I understand the frustration, MikeE.

How about honey?

Daffodil planting prior to church.

I suggested to DW that we take her father to an open house at Archangel Ancient Tree Archive where trees are cloned. He has ALZ and MIL needs a break even if it's just for a few hours. The tree people are amazing. The goal is to repopulate 100 of the most threatened species.  They've taken samples from the roots of the Fieldbrook Stump (cut down 120 years ago) and have cultivated tens of thousands of new trees.

A local legend, the Buckley Elm, was nearly 500 years old before it finally succumbed to the Dutch Elm Disease a few years ago.

There are dozens of shoots struggling to introduce a comeback.

FIL was asking questions about misting and climate control. He struggled putting the words together, but was able to be understood.

When we got home, we were waiting for MIL to join us for dinner. Without warning, FIL stated he didn't know where he was. DW explained that she was his oldest daughter and we were at our house. That his wife would be over soon. FIL asked when his parents were going to be over. When DW said they were in Heaven, her father reacted as he heard it for the first time.

Denial, grief and anger exploded. Alzheimer's is horrible. He got it in his head that they were murdered. DW's efforts to explain and console were ineffective. Tag kept trying to sit next to his buddy, but was pushed away. My FIL was going to walk into the woods across the street and die and headed out the door with my wife on right behind him.

After a bit, Michelle came in and told me to go talk to him and she took finishing dinner over. Part of me wanted to let him wander off so the State would get involved. However, I did go with FIL and just listened. He didn't know who I was and it's beyond my skill set to reason with a person who isn't reasonable.

When it started raining, we wandered back to the house and MIL showed up an hour late. He was still grieving and refused to eat. Tag had a trail of tears down his eyes. I put 11 hours of song birds on the TV and gradually turned up the volume.

FIL began to poke at his food. Asked where the bird noises were coming from. He asked if we were going to eat. I apologized and said we were hungry and couldn't wait for him. The conversation became more animated. We had a few laughs. He cleaned his plate and asked for dessert. Hugs. "I love you"s. Then good bye.

Holy Carp.

SteveP

Mike E

MM #5615

It sounds like you handled things perfectly.  Well done.

Head Procrastinator

Steve, sorry for your family having to go through this.

Late in adding my 32.6 mile bike ride. Was supposed to be 35.8 ( a lbs anniversary brunch ride with cue sheet) but Kathy and I decided the left turn onto a major road with no shoulder was not safe and so rerouted a bit.

Then attended the tailgating portion of the Biketoberfest MTB ride/party and after went to a Halloween Geocaching event.

I need a day off from my weekend!

~ My Profile~ The avatar is happy BOC wootcats

Marathon Maniac #957

It sounds like you handled things perfectly.  Well done.

+1

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."