Masters Running

Thursday, 9.15.16 (Read 32 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone.

Yikes - halfway through another month already!

Great job in the pool, Holly, whether you count laps or lengths. Sorry about running out of coffee - did you survive? I'm also sorry to read about Max's situation. It sure is tough when we are so attached to our 4-legged friends. I'm sure you'll do right by Max, whatever decisions you make.

How was your "test" run, Starr? Are you recovered from the half and ready to race again?

I dunno, Lori - why suck at one sport when you can suck at many more?    I can't count the number of sports I suck at!

Nice trailing and pooling, TW. Remembered to remove your trail boots before heading into the pool, didn't you? Have fun with the flies fishing!

Best of luck with the intervention this morning, Ribs! I expect to see you smiling and running on the other side.

Evanflein, did you do your "test" run last night? If so, how'd it go? Sounds like a great get-together with the old crew.

Good sweaty TM run, Enke. Sounds like it would have been warm inside or out. I don't know if I want to read a book that makes me cry...

Have a good trip, TSelbes!

Thanks for all the tri info and advice, Tet.

DW is very appreciative whenever I lose my voice too, Leslie. Feel better!

Good Garminless run, Starr. I'm sorry about the cramping, but I'm glad the street pole was there to help.

Nice thunderstorm-sandwiched run, WildChild. And congrats to the young-uns' for taking (and being able to take) a 6-month honeymoon. OF course, DW and I are still on a honeymoon so many years later. (I had to say that...)

I'm glad you are enjoying the book, Steve. And the crayons...

I'm excited to welcome the first of the Reach The Beachers to Hampton this afternoon, and then to send van #1 on it's way up to the central NH mountains for the start of the race. DW and I are going away tomorrow for an overnight to celebrate the 38th year of our ongoing honeymoon, and will be back in time to greet the RTB racers after the completion of their journey on Saturday afternoon.

7.75 RW miles this morning in great early Fall weather: 54F temps, dry air, and an appreciable westerly breeze. The first fire truck pulled up to a house about a mile away just before I got to that cross street this morning. By the time I cam back around and crossed the same street, there were many more units and the police had the road blocked off. Scary stuff - I hope no one got hurt and that the damage wasn't too bad.

Have a greta Thursday!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Sayhey! MM#130

I know it's early, but best quote of the day: "DW and I are going away tomorrow for an overnight to celebrate the 38th year of our ongoing honeymoon, --Jay.

Congrats and many more.

And best news of the day will be a Ribs post op update, fingers crossed.

So I'm reading the Judy Blume novel for adults (not like that adult--she usually writes for young people), In the Unlikely Event that is based on the true story of three plane crashes within months in Elizabeth, NJ in the early 1950s.   Guess I should have planned better, as I'm flying tomorrow, and won't have finished the book.

6 yesterday and 7+ this am--adjusting to more traffic as school's in session and the early snowbirds are arriving.

We had a traffic snafu  yesterday am that we learned later resulted from an accident wherein a 62 year man died.  Investigators say he flew out the back window, suffering fatal head injuries as he wasn't wearing his seat belt.  The other driver wasn't hurt.

So yeah, I know it's nagging, but buckle up.  And wear lights when you're out running in the dawn and dusk. 

(And don't drown out there tw.)

modified to add:  and wear a thimble, Starr!

grins,

A

https://agratefullifedotnet.wordpress.com/  (for a piece or two of my mind)

TammyinGP

Good Morning!

I got in a very short run yesterday. not even 2 miles. yesterday afternoon's XC practice was just an easy jog on the XC course, since they have a meet today. First meet for our whole team of 11  . We have a couple runners that I think will have very respectable finishes, several that will be that "front of the mid pack" and then there's that one (every team has one right?), that will start walking at 1/4 mile because she went out too fast and will act like she's dying by the time she finishes 

Leaving for Newport in the morning and looking forward to a good conference and at least a couple nice runs. Hoping there is some nice beach weather to enjoy also.

Tammy

Jay - congrats on the 38 year honeymoon!

Holly, the book is not fiction.  It's a real account by a Canadian woman that was kidnapped in Somalia and held hostage for 15 months (and tortured).  It is beautifully written though...

I don't think men should read it.

Anyway...back on topic, hope to do 9 miles today.  We'll see if I actually do.

Anyone been to Costa Rica for a vacation?  I'm thinking that's were I am going over Christmas this year.  MBE is thinking Hawaii, but you know he's been there a few times already.  We're at a standoff.

Still on the job search merry-go-round.  No word from the last company (I figure it's a no) but I have a screening interview lined up for another - a job I would be thrilled to get.

My daughter has joined the HS robotics club.  That's cool for a young woman.  She took a robotics class last year in middle school and really liked it.  Lots of engineers on both sides of her family, so maybe it's in her genes.  My son wants to be a lawyer!  MBE's daughter passed the bar exam and was commisioned? into the Navy two days ago.  I wish my kids were already launched into their careers, but seems we've got a ways to go.

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

Marathon Maniac #957

Happy Anniversary Jay!

Amy - see you tomorrow!

Enke - I guess I shouldn't have said fiction but rather, the books I read, because some of them are non-fiction, but I try not to read those that will make me cry (although sometimes it happens anyway).  Why should men not read it?   Cool about your DD and the robotics club.

3 miles for me this morning on the TM.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

BerthaSlayer

MM#5991

I got in 2 miles last evening. Nothing on schedule today or tomorrow as per the plan. Travelling tomorrow to good ole Cleveland where I will run circles. Literally. Right turn. Right turn. Right turn.  Right. I am hoping for 66 miles for the day or better but it will depend on how I feel and how the hubs feels. His goal is higher but this is his first ultra. So anything can happen especially since the weather will be poopy.

Aamosy....I agree with you. Hubby is the poster child for buckling seat belts. 51 years ago his mama didn't (in all fairness, noone really did back then) and he now has a head injury/ epilepsy as a result. He is lucky to be alive. And so am I because now he is mine. Smile  <3

enkephalin....good luck with the job hunt.

Lori

*it's Bertha or me. My money is on me.*

**"There is no growth in the comfort zone and no comfort in the growth zone".---- Sandy**

Happy Continued Honeymooning, Jay!

And a 6-month honeymoon for the newlyweds?  Good for them!

I'll have to look for that book, Enke.  The Hub and a lady in our office are constantly sharing books back and forth.  Even though you say men shouldn't read it, it sounds like that would be right up both their alleys.  The Hub only reads non-fiction and for some reason is drawn to any kind of disaster/peril story.

No running or anything since last Saturday.  I feel like poo . . . and now Winnie the Pooh.  This thing is progressing to a sinus infection and my lungs are not happy, either. Geesh!  I rarely get sick, but when I do I make it count!  I'm staying tucked in my office and trying to get as much work done as I can today in the hopes of being to stay home tomorrow and have a good 3 days of doing nothing but trying to get better.

Okay - Back to work.  Later, dudes and dudettes ~~

Leslie
                Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Dave59

Hey folks. I am still in the process of finding out what is wrong with me. But I was inspired by Ribs totally upbeat approach to his heart issues so I thought I'd stop by and say so.

I had a CT scan yesterday to examine the arteries in the head & neck (and probably the upper chest area too.)  I have the follow-up with the doctor next Wednesday where I assume I get the results.

I was feeling pretty bad a month or so ago when the doctor had changed my cholesterol medicine.  Cindy suggested I try CoQ10 which I did sort of reluctantly because I never had much faith in the supplement industry.  But after a couple weeks I was feeling much better.  I still was getting numbness on my right side if I tried to run.  MRI was fine so now the theory is restricted blood flow on the left side of my brain when my blood pressure is up during exercise.  I never had it happen at the gym when I was on the ARC trainer so that puzzled the doctor.

Beats me, but I am going to try and be like Ribs if I have to undergo any kind of procedure.  My usual method is worry & whining.

I think a lot of men would feel shame just being men reading the book.  And if they had daughters, it would be pretty hard to stomach.

I ran 4 miles.  9 was not going to happen, said my left knee.

Leslie - it's too early in the season to get sick!

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

Marathon Maniac #957

GO BerthaSlayer!!  You will rock it!

(((Leslie)))and (((Dave)))

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

evanflein

Go Bertha! Hats off to you for the 24 hour race thing. I'm not sure I could do that.

Leslie, get better!

Hi Dave, hope you're feeling better. Ribs does have a great attitude. There's a sign hanging up on the wall in the pool I use that says "Attitudes are Contagious! Is Yours Worth Catching?" I kind of like that. I know there are plenty of times my attitude is NOT worth having or catching. Good to work on that.

30 minute pool run at lunchtime. Now I'm back at my desk getting whiffs of chlorine every now and then. I really don't think I could be a swimmer...

Jay,

Happy 38th honeymoon.

Lori,

Go get em!!!!! I have enough issues training for 26.2 I,m not sure how you ultras find the time . Maybe after I retire....

7.5 yesterday and 4 easy today. The weather has been excellent low 70s and sunny. Tomorrows a SRD as most Friday's for me it's a day for rest ,beer Pizza and then more beer. 😛

Chumbawamba: I get knocked down But I get up again You're never going to keep me down

Holly, that's tough about Max.  We do get attached to our pets.  fatozzig, I hope you're recovering from the flu after effects.  Jay, happy anniversary.  Dave, wishing you the best in dealing with your health issues.

Steve, I'd like to see you and Tag but we're planning on heading home Saturday morning and I have't run in almost 2 weeks.  Just for the heck of it though, where and what time is the race?

A good day and good runs for all.

TomS

SteveP

Steve, I'd like to see you and Tag but we're planning on heading home Saturday morning and I have't run in almost 2 weeks.  Just for the heck of it though, where and what time is the race?

A good day and good runs for all.

TomS

Tom, I expect a waddle myself.

The event starts at 9:00 AM and is really close to the comic book store on 8th Street. 642 Railroad Pl, Traverse City, Michigan 49686. Behind the newer library. The library is celebrating a significant event.

I know it's for kids and teens, however, I'm sure creepy old men who play dress-up with their dogs are more than welcome.

DW and her sibs will be doing the ALZ event. FIL has it. What a cruel challenge. To give MIL a break, I spent a day with him. It's like a 250 lb toddler. We were at an A&W in Frankfort and he could not figure out how to have a root beer float. While picking up one mess, he'd be making another. He's aware that something is extremely wrong and frustrated. The kids want to address his issues at the family level for fear of loosing an inheritance. Which translates into letting Mom handle everything. IMHO, when we're in our 50's our parents don't owe us an after death allowance. oops..turned into a rant.

SteveP